PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu or Wallace?

Ibleedblk&gld
08-24-2011, 07:59 PM
So in the event we are only able to sign one or the other to a long term contract next year, who do believe should get the contract? This may be a dumb question, but I'm curious to see what everyone thinks

Big T
08-24-2011, 08:28 PM
No need to pick one or the other. Polamalu can be franchised if a deal isn't reached before FA and Wallace will be a restricted FA. They'll both get done in the offseason.

Ibleedblk&gld
08-24-2011, 08:33 PM
i figured..just wanted opinions on a "what if" scenario

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah this one is a no brainer. Assuming Troy stays healthy they'll reward him with a big deal. The franchise tag is their ace in the hole to make sure he doesn't get away. I don't think they'll have much of a problem signing him as long as their offer is fair market value.

Wallace will be an RFA so they can tender him the highest amount and make sure he stays put. They'll tender him regardless and then work on a new deal in the offseason now that they won't have to worry about another lockout and missing out on signing players.

I'll say though, if I had to pick just one or the other, I'd choose Wallace honestly. He's young and has his whole career ahead of him. Troy is still playing great football and he's worth keeping around but in the interest of your thread I'll say Wallace for sure. You'll get more out of signing Wallace long term then you might with Troy. There's no guarantee but with Troy's injuries that's a risk to keep in mind.

Worse case scenario they would go Safety high in the 2012 draft and get the next Troy Polamalu ready to go for the future.

jpele
08-24-2011, 09:25 PM
What if we could only sign one ? As much as I like Troy , I sign Wallace he's young with no where to go but up.

andyg1984
08-24-2011, 09:28 PM
how will wallace will treat negotiations? i wonder how much he thinks he is worth .. because on a go-forward basis it is hard to put him outside of some big money guys ..

cmerrifield
08-24-2011, 10:07 PM
how will wallace will treat negotiations? i wonder how much he thinks he is worth .. because on a go-forward basis it is hard to put him outside of some big money guys ..

Tomlin still calls him a "one trick pony," so I am thinking he knows his special, but not a complete receiver yet.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Wallace is going to want paid, there is no doubt. He's a top 10 WR in the NFL right now depending on who you talk too. If he has another year like last year I would fully expect him to want upwards of a 30+ million dollar deal.

Rampage
08-25-2011, 10:56 AM
At this point, I think Wallace is becoming the more important part of the team because he steps foot on the field feeling 100% whereas Polamalu is like Sex Panther: 60% of the time, he is 100% every time.

cmerrifield
08-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Wallace is going to want paid, there is no doubt. He's a top 10 WR in the NFL right now depending on who you talk too. If he has another year like last year I would fully expect him to want upwards of a 30+ million dollar deal.

30+ at least. Hines is making 5 million a year, so I am guess Wallace is going to want 8 or 9. I am think a 5 year 45 million would be the "hometown discount." My fear is that we will put a 1st round tender on him, 1st and 3rd no longer exists, and someone will offer him more money than we can match and we loose him. I know we would get a 1st round pick, but I would rather keep Wallace.

TampaSteelGirl
08-25-2011, 11:02 AM
We will be signing both...no worries there.

Scorp
08-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Polamalu was actually the team's second option at safety, as they had planned on signing Dexter Jackson that offseason. Jackson, the reigning Super Bowl MVP with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, even had a verbal agreement to sign with the Steelers, only for him to back out at the last minute and sign with the Arizona Cardinals instead. The Steelers then went to "Plan B" and drafted Polamalu instead.

The Steelers, ecstatic that Polamalu slid past the Chargers, quickly made a move to bring Polamalu to their team. The Steelers believed so much that Polamalu could have a positive impact on their defense that they traded up from the twenty-seventh spot to the sixteenth spot, originally held by the Chiefs. The Steelers traded away the ninety-second and two hundredth overall pick for the rights to switch first round picks and select Troy Polamalu. Essentially, the trade was Polamalu for Larry Johnson, Julian Battle, and Brooks Bollinger (the Bollinger pick was subsequently traded to the Jets in the same draft). He has the distinction of being the only safety ever drafted by the Steelers in the first round.[2]

He was then drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the first round and signed a five-year, $8,275,000 contract.

Give this guy his just due because he deserves it. I'm glad he's not wearing another team's jersey, (San Diego), and he has more than a positive impact on the defense. I already heard he is going to get franchised once that opportunity presents itself. And finally, Troy said he wants to retire a Steeler.

It's great to be a Steelers fan.

mwittman5
08-25-2011, 08:41 PM
they'll both get signed but in that what if scenario I'd sign wallace. He makes the offense so dynamic and is younger and less injury prone. With Ward aging the steelers need another WR that will be solid for a long time. Brown is still proving himself and Sanders is already injury prone.

STEELyourface
08-25-2011, 09:00 PM
In the "what if" scenario...... Wallace. As many have said many times, it is a business and you gotta go with the younger guy plus having a top notch receiver is a premium in this league the more they change the rules to benefit the passing game.

All that being said, we know they'll both be back and it would HURT an awful lot to see Troy anywhere but in the black and gold, and I mean it would be painful (at least for me) regardless of his future production.

Blazedby92
08-25-2011, 10:33 PM
In a "what if" situation you would sign Troy just because we have NO ONE to fill his shoes for his replacement, right now Wallace can be replaced.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Wallace replaced by who?.....Draft pick or Sanders/Brown?........I like Sanders and Brown a ton but those two will not replace the big plays Wallace provides the offense......21 yards catch on 60 receptions is sick.....

Now Troy is a unique talent when fully healthy and I agree right now there isn't a safety on the roster ready to replace him.......But Wallace is entering his prime were Troy is still on top of his game when healthy but who knows when the bottom will drop out on Troy especially the way he plays.....

I think both will be resigned next year anyway so really this debate doesn't matter.....The Rooney's have shown since Heinz has been open they keep their own.......

scott0326
08-26-2011, 04:27 AM
In a what if scenario it would be an extremely tough decision.. It seems like the defense struggles whenever Polamalu is out.. however, Ward and Cotchery are getting old and if we lose Wallace we could have Brown and Sanders as our #1 and #2 WR's.. as much as I like the guys they are definitely not on Mike Wallace level.. yet anyway. Considering the age of both I'd say I would re-sign Wallace.

Thankfully though, as others have mentioned we should be able to keep both.

DanRooney
08-26-2011, 04:38 AM
Wallace replaced by who?.....Draft pick or Sanders/Brown?........I like Sanders and Brown a ton but those two will not replace the big plays Wallace provides the offense......21 yards catch on 60 receptions is sick.....

Now Troy is a unique talent when fully healthy and I agree right now there isn't a safety on the roster ready to replace him.......But Wallace is entering his prime were Troy is still on top of his game when healthy but who knows when the bottom will drop out on Troy especially the way he plays.....

I think both will be resigned next year anyway so really this debate doesn't matter.....The Rooney's have shown since Heinz has been open they keep their own.......

Ryan Mundy replacing Troy...Superboel.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-26-2011, 07:37 PM
The good thing, both Troy and Mike are very unselfish players. Tunch Ilkin was talking about this today on Sirius; both guys know their payday is coming but they are content to wait. Wallace wants to finish out his rookie deal and prove to the Steelers that he's fully earned the payday he has coming. Troy was very happy for guys like Woodley, Timmons, and Taylor for getting their big deals. Polamalu had one big payday already in his first big deal, he knows he'll get another one. I'm sure he'd like to have it now rather than 2012 but it's not like he's hurting for money or thinks the Steelers don't want him.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Ryan Mundy replacing Troy...Superboel.

I stated there wasn't a safety on the roster to replace Troy......

Blazedby92
08-26-2011, 09:40 PM

Wallace not replaceable?....It's just a "what if" scenario and if I remember right they play the game to win a Championship..... so if you take Troy out there is no one there that would even come close to be a DIFFERENCE MAKER on defense right now and a couple years for that matter..... now take Wallace out of the offense we have enough playmakers to be good enough plus right now all we see is upside but who knows, he needs to show this year he rounds his game off because right now all he is doing great at is burning down the field.....21 yard on 60 receptions great, can he do it consistently.

Brandon Lloyd had a comparable year probablly better(consistent) to Wallace maybe we should just sign him cause we all know with stats like that he's a keeper.

My point is this is Wallace's year(coming out party) :crossfingers:to prove to all he is a COMPLETE reciever not just one good year (not a one trick pony). Then we'll talk about the money but most likely we'll keep them both.:tophat:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Brandon Lloyd finally broke out in what his 10th year in the league?.....Lloyd was more likely a fluke were Mike Wallace just keeps getting better and better....sorry bad comparison......

Maybe it would be nice for a change to keep Ben's number 1 play-maker instead of always replacing them (Burress and Holmes).......Yes the Steelers have had great success in drafting WR's but I would like to see the Ben/Wallace combo together for the prime of their careers......Both Sanders and Brown are talented young WR's but they both will not replace the big play ability of Mike Wallace.....All three together really can take the offense to new heights....

I agree more then likely the Steelers will resign both Troy and Wallace so really this debate doesn't even matter......But there is more of a risk signing Troy long term for big money since Troy does have a history of injury and his style of play leads to injury.....Who knows how much longer Troy can play at a high level.....For the final time I have stated there isn't a safety on the roster ready to replace Troy but maybe its time the Steelers draft one.......

--- Added 8/26/2011 at 08:56 PM ---

I also didn't say Wallace wasn't replaceable....But asked who would you replace him with?....Draft pick? Sanders/Brown?

STEELyourface
08-27-2011, 12:30 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think you could make arguments for keeping either over the other, I personally said Wallace for the same reasons as everyone else. I don't think that either answer could be considered a wrong answer if they actually had to choose.

The LLoyd to Wallace comparison isn't a very good one though, IMO. Sorry. Lloyd had 1 good year early in his career and everyone waited around to see him put it all together and he didn't until finally last year. Way too inconsistent, really.

Wallace on the other hand showed potential as a rookie and took many more steps forward last year. He still has quite a bit of improving to do to round out his game, that is true, but the difference is Wallace (unlike Lloyd) has given us every reason to believe he will in fact continue to take those steps.

LarryNJ
08-27-2011, 10:11 AM
I agree with Blaze and say Troy. Or defense is not the same without him and he's proven that year after year and still had several good years ahead of him. A receiver like Wallace is much easier to replace than a saftey like Troy.

Blazedby92
08-27-2011, 04:54 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think you could make arguments for keeping either over the other, I personally said Wallace for the same reasons as everyone else. I don't think that either answer could be considered a wrong answer if they actually had to choose.

The LLoyd to Wallace comparison isn't a very good one though, IMO. Sorry. Lloyd had 1 good year early in his career and everyone waited around to see him put it all together and he didn't until finally last year. Way too inconsistent, really.

Wallace on the other hand showed potential as a rookie and took many more steps forward last year. He still has quite a bit of improving to do to round out his game, that is true, but the difference is Wallace (unlike Lloyd) has given us every reason to believe he will in fact continue to take those steps.

Great comparison, just to show you how the average football fan looks at stats that's why the PB gets screwed up. I try and look behind the stats and how history will repeat itself, I'm not a self proclaimed expert but I am pretty Sure Lloyd was a HUGE fluke just said Wallace has to prove THIS year he can be the man, Wallace Speed and Hands with Sweed Routes and Height= Badass
MW should have a great year but I think Brown/Sanders will help decide that in they have to have another good year in the both of them.:eek1:Might finally get to see Ben gets some positive feedback from the media.

Wallace replaceable?? HELL YEAH!!!
We can win with what we have now without Wallace, look what we did for years before him.

Hey born and raised in Missouri the Show me State "You got to show ME" that's why I'm so hard on players like Sweed

STEELyourface
08-28-2011, 04:03 AM
Great comparison, just to show you how the average football fan looks at stats that's why the PB gets screwed up. I try and look behind the stats and how history will repeat itself, I'm not a self proclaimed expert but I am pretty Sure Lloyd was a HUGE fluke just said Wallace has to prove THIS year he can be the man, Wallace Speed and Hands with Sweed Routes and Height= Badass
MW should have a great year but I think Brown/Sanders will help decide that in they have to have another good year in the both of them.:eek1:Might finally get to see Ben gets some positive feedback from the media.

Wallace replaceable?? HELL YEAH!!!
We can win with what we have now without Wallace, look what we did for years before him.

Hey born and raised in Missouri the Show me State "You got to show ME" that's why I'm so hard on players like Sweed

I don't understand exactly what you are saying in response to what I had said. I said Lloyd was a fluke also and said the reason he was is because he had 2 good years and they were spread way apart lacking any type of consistency. Wallace has had 2 good years in a row so there is already reason to believe he will completely round out his game. He has shown it already but yes you are correct he needs to continue (and I think he will).

As for the success we had before him, well of course, because we had Holmes. They only let him go because they were confident Wallace could take his place. In that regard, Wallace is replaceable but only IF someone else comes along but then we have to start from the beginning with that guy and there is no reason to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you are wrong I just didn't understand your response or the comparison to Lloyd.

Stairwayto7
08-28-2011, 11:28 AM
The way Sanders and Brown are coming on, and Brown has speed like Wallace, I sign Troy if i could just sign one

jwmann2
08-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Why not get them both? Heads up though, you have to secure Polamalu. The guy is a game changer. The Defense isn't the same when he isn't in the lineup. Wallace is an incredible athlete but his skills as a receiver can be replaced.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-28-2011, 05:56 PM
I agree Wallace is replaceable but I was just asking who would replace Wallace.....Sanders, Brown?....Draft pick?.....I think both Brown and Sanders are damn good but I think all three of these young WR's together is going to make the Steelers offense really special and gives Ben three young talented big play making WR's for the prime of his career....Keep them intact would be wise........