PDA

View Full Version : Road to Steeler SB goes thru Pats....

TampaSteelGirl
08-24-2011, 11:26 AM
I was thinking about this...I know it's only pre season but after watching the game against the Eagles last week I think the only team that we really need to dominate to make a return to SB is the Pats...Tom Brady has a way of picking our secondary apart but after much doubt and ranting about our secondary...the new talent out there looks quite promising. I don't there is a team we can't beat...I saw the passion back last week and I think if we are going back to Superbowl the only team to get thru is Brady and the Pats. I feel we are better than the Packers, despite their SB win we were NOT 100% hence a SB loss.

I know everyone is like "F the Pats" but think about it...Brady is a brilliant QB and they have alot of good talent there. i dont see the Ravens or any other team on our schedule as relevant....any thoughts???

JShare86
08-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Excluding Ike our corners are embarrassing and will be exposed if we play: Brady, brees, manning, or Rodgers like always. I agree all around there's no better team than us, but the only way we beat one of those teams is if we get a lot of pressure on the qb or Ben plays great and we go score for score. For some reason the only elite qb we've been able to beat the past couple years is rivers.

andyg1984
08-24-2011, 12:48 PM
right, still early, but on paper as of today i think they make the case to be #1 or #2 with us .. brady will pick us apart

steelersbabex25
08-24-2011, 12:48 PM
GONNA BE AT THAT GAME WHOOP WHOOP. You guys don't need to worry. I have a 5-0 record at Heinz Field. Well, 5-1 if you include the Winter Classic..but that was hockey so it doesn't count.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-24-2011, 12:51 PM
The Pats havn't won a play-off game since 2007....just some food for thought....Of course they always match up well against us......But its not a given the Steelers will even play them in the post-season....All the Steelers can do is handle their own and put themselves in the best position to make a run at their 7th Lombardi......

Blazedby92
08-24-2011, 01:06 PM
That haven't won a game since 2007, that's probably because they got knock out before they played us.

Not that we cant' beat them but they are just our Nemesis

steelcitysfinestXL
08-24-2011, 01:56 PM
We usually can't beat them but keep everything in perspective: pats usually beat us, ravens usually beat the pats, jets usually beat the pats, we usually beat the jets and the ravens! So they may have our number but they struggle with BAL and NYJ!

TampaSteelGirl
08-24-2011, 02:02 PM
We usually can't beat them but keep everything in perspective: pats usually beat us, ravens usually beat the pats, jets usually beat the pats, we usually beat the jets and the ravens! So they may have our number but they struggle with BAL and NYJ!

I disagree...Ravens don't usually beat the Pats...
Scroll down to the middle of the page till you see Ravens vs the Pats

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/History/Ravens_Vs_NFL.aspx#afceast

Ravens are only 1-0 in post season

Black@Gold Forever32
08-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Taking a quick glance at the Pats schedule it looks really easy....I see 11-12 wins for them for sure and maybe 4-5 games that could go either way.....Looks like they're primed for one of the top 2 seeds again in the AFC........

Rampage
08-24-2011, 02:21 PM
The Steelers never seem to have an answer for Brady's dink dunk passing. The pass rush never gets to him and the corners don't cover well enough to stop it. The Patriots build up a quick lead then our offense starts making mistakes leading to punts and turnovers. It would be nice to see the team come up with an answer at some point.

Diehardsteel
08-24-2011, 02:22 PM
This is the year I thought we finally get over on Brady and the Pats. As long as our CB play is better than last year. I don't think it has to be outstanding in order to win. We have a stronger WR core, a slimmer and overall sharper Roethlisberger, an improving back in Mendenhall and a healthy Troy. In my opinion we're a better team overall than we were the last time we played the Pats. We just need to stay healthy this season. *Knock on wood*

TampaSteelGirl
08-24-2011, 02:27 PM
This is the year I thought we finally get over on Brady and the Pats. As long as our CB play is better than last year. I don't think it has to be outstanding in order to win. We have a stronger WR core, a slimmer and overall sharper Roethlisberger, an improving back in Mendenhall and a healthy Troy. In my opinion we're a better team overall than we were the last time we played the Pats. We just need to stay healthy this season. *Knock on wood*

Oh yea I agree with what you are saying here for sure..I think if we beat the Pats this year...we are without a doubt SB bound. As long as we don't make costly mistakes in the playoffs. I think we are a very scary team right now!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-24-2011, 02:32 PM
To soon to talk Super Bowl.....So much can happen in a season....A couple major injuries and our season goes down the Johnny Flusher.......

I don't look for the Steelers to beat the Pats.....They killed us last year with a 4 rookies starting in their defense and a rookie TE......Of course Brady and Belichick are the big reasons but those two own the Steelers......I hope the Steelers don't face them in the play-offs....Of course there is nothing more I would love to see the Steelers just destroy the Pats and put Marsha Brady out for good but I have no faith in the Steelers beating the Pats....Unless Matt Cassell was starting for them....lol

TampaSteelGirl
08-24-2011, 02:35 PM
True Dan.....I know it's too soon to talk SB but I was just thinking a bit outloud. I really want to beat the Pats honestly....I think beating the Pats will be a big "alrighty then" compliement for our ever struggling secondary...

chisteeler
08-24-2011, 02:36 PM
I hate the Pats just as much as the next guy, but I get concerned if we beat them in the regular season, 'cause chances are we lose to them in the Post season. My concern is that we beat them in the Post season where it most definately counts. Now beating them in both regular and post seasons is just icing on the cake.
I always just get the impression that the Pats are playing cat & mouse with us. It's like they know they can beat us, but they just toy around a little until they go in for the kill on us. But we have all said that they have our number when Brady is playing, and now is the time to rectify that stat and turn the table on them and just dominate. they need to learn to fear us. They respect us, but they don't fear us!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-24-2011, 02:39 PM
True Dan.....I know it's too soon to talk SB but I was just thinking a bit outloud. I really want to beat the Pats honestly....I think beating the Pats will be a big "alrighty then" compliement for our ever struggling secondary...

I just don't look for it to happen....I hope they beat them but Brady kills us and doesn't matter what year or who is in the secondary........I believe the only time the Steelers beat Tom Brady was back in 2004 in Ben's rookie year.......Really the Steelers should have beaten them in 2005 in Pittsburgh but a bonehead fumble by Randle El (if memory serves me correct) cost the Steelers the game......

If the Steelers and Pats both make the play-offs then I hope we don't play them....lol

STEELyourface
08-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Ya, way too soon for SB talk...... but since you brought it up,

I'll gladly take a loss in the regular season to set up a playoff rematch with them. We have beat them in the regular season but we need that playoff win against them. I don't think our team has to validate anything (they've beat the teams put in front of them and have 2 rings) but for us as fans finally getting them in the post season would be so nice!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Steelers don't have validate anything I agree....You don't pick who you play in the play-offs.....I freaking hate the Pats....I hate their owner, coach, prissy freaking QB, their fanbase........Really couldn't the earth just open up and swallow that stadium with the Pats organization in it.....lol

KemoTherapy
08-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Re. "A healthy Troy", talk about the mother of all asumptions.

Diehardsteel
08-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Re. "A healthy Troy", talk about the mother of all asumptions.

Healthier this year than the last obviously. Troy's play is kinda crazy sometimes and does put his health at risk. But I have a feeling this year and It's a good one. :cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2011, 03:14 PM
The Pats havn't won a play-off game since 2007....just some food for thought....Of course they always match up well against us......But its not a given the Steelers will even play them in the post-season....All the Steelers can do is handle their own and put themselves in the best position to make a run at their 7th Lombardi......

I agree, the Pats will always play the Steelers hard and for numerous reasons they seem to have our number. We will have to take care of business in the regular season with them as best we can and maybe we can steal a win. Things could pan out many different ways between now and then but I'm certainly not throwing in the terrible towel just because it's the Patriots.

LatrobePA
08-24-2011, 03:53 PM
The pats will always be a contender with brady under center, his rookie replacement looks sharp too so this could be the case for years!!

They're playing inspired this year too, never a good thing!!

Big T
08-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Excluding Ike our corners are embarrassing and will be exposed if we play: Brady, brees, manning, or Rodgers like always. I agree all around there's no better team than us, but the only way we beat one of those teams is if we get a lot of pressure on the qb or Ben plays great and we go score for score. For some reason the only elite qb we've been able to beat the past couple years is rivers.

Philip Rivers is not an "elite" QB. "Elite" is thrown around way too much in regards to QBs. IMO, there are two "elite" QBs, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Everyone is riding Aaron Rodgers d*ck, calling him "elite" because of his performances in the post season. Yes, he had an unbelievable run in the playoffs and he is rightfully included in the conversation as one of the top QBs in the league but he cant be considered "elite". Drew Brees is up there but not quite with Manning and Brady. Philip Rivers can toss the ball around but he hasn't won ****. Ben is also in the conversation as one of the top QBs in the game but, though he's shown to be clutch and a winner, he has his flaws. As I said before, I believe Manning and Brady are the only "Elite".

IMO:

Manning
Brady

Brees
Rodgers
Roethlisberger

Philip Rivers

Everyone else....

The QBs in the "tiers" aren't necessarily in any order, but IMO (obviously) the "tiers" themselves are accurate.

connecticutsteel
08-24-2011, 05:46 PM
The last time I checked The Pittsburgh Steelers when to the Super Bowl LAST YEAR . Which makes the road to the Super Bowl through "The Burgh" . The game with the Pats is going the be probably the toughest of the season but we can win . The league has caught up to the Pats weather ESPN wants to admit it or not . Ever since Spygate was exposed New England has been good but there X - Factor is gone . If our Secondary improves even slightly it should be easy to beat them cause they play us the same way short passes screens dink and dunk . I guess what i'm saying is if we don't beat ourselves the road to seven is through Pittsburgh

--- Added 8/24/2011 at 04:46 PM ---

Philip Rivers is not an "elite" QB. "Elite" is thrown around way too much in regards to QBs. IMO, there are two "elite" QBs, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Everyone is riding Aaron Rodgers d*ck, calling him "elite" because of his performances in the post season. Yes, he had an unbelievable run in the playoffs and he is rightfully included in the conversation as one of the top QBs in the league but he cant be considered "elite". Drew Brees is up there but not quite with Manning and Brady. Philip Rivers can toss the ball around but he hasn't won ****. Ben is also in the conversation as one of the top QBs in the game but, though he's shown to be clutch and a winner, he has his flaws. As I said before, I believe Manning and Brady are the only "Elite".

IMO:

Manning
Brady

Brees
Rodgers
Roethlisberger

Philip Rivers

Everyone else....

The QBs in the "tiers" aren't necessarily in any order, but IMO (obviously) the "tiers" themselves are accurate.
The word Elite is a Fantasy Moniker used to identify the top statistical QB'S not the best QB'S

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2011, 06:05 PM
The Pats will continue to use their short passing game, and utilize their Tight Ends until the Steelers prove they can stop it. That's been the Achilles heal of Pittsburgh for years.

I have no doubt our offense can hang with the Pats or anyone else. It's the defense that has problems with Brady & Belichick.

From BRC's DroidX of Awesomeness

steelersbabex25
08-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Yeah, well hopefully the Steelers and Dick LeBeau will be like..how have the Pats absolutely owned us for the past 5 years? Oh, short passes for 80 years until they get a touchdown? MAYBE WE SHOULD DO SOMETHING TO STOP THAT.

JShare86
08-24-2011, 06:38 PM
I bet you won't be able to say Rodgers isn't elite at the end of this season.

andyg1984
08-24-2011, 07:44 PM

IMO:

Manning
Brady

Brees
Rodgers
Roethlisberger

Philip Rivers

Everyone else....

so if you think PM is visibly better than Rivers or Rodgers and belongs in a separate tier i would think the period of performance would go back further than a year and with PM possibly not starting this season you would most likely not want to pick this year to say he is going to be better .. how far back and how far forward do you think those tiers hold for?

on a go-forward basis it is hard for me to separate these guys .. espec 2 years from now ..

--- Added 8/24/2011 at 06:44 PM ---

I bet you won't be able to say Rodgers isn't elite at the end of this season.

if the nfl held a draft of every single player in the league he might be the first overall selection .. i think we are safe to call him elite ..but it really does depend on your definition i guess lol

steelersbabex25
08-24-2011, 08:30 PM
if the nfl held a draft of every single player in the league he might be the first overall selection .. i think we are safe to call him elite ..but it really does depend on your definition i guess lol

Not a chance. Aaron Rodgers has only been a starter for, what? 3 years? You can't possibly be considered elite after 2 or 3 good seasons.

Big T
08-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Not a chance. Aaron Rodgers has only been a starter for, what? 3 years? You can't possibly be considered elite after 2 or 3 good seasons.

Exactly. That's my point.

andyg1984
08-24-2011, 09:24 PM
fyi the conversation is forward looking and the word elite is relative to current players .. how can someone not be elite just because it is their first few years as a starter? that implies that performance 4 years ago matters more than the previous three ...

--- Added 8/24/2011 at 08:24 PM ---

Exactly. That's my point.

so we should pull AP and CJ out of the elite RBs?

steelersbabex25
08-24-2011, 09:27 PM
fyi the conversation is forward looking and the word elite is relative to current players .. how can someone not be elite just because it is their first few years as a starter? that implies that performance 4 years ago matters more than the previous three ...

If you're saying that someone can be elite by having 2 or 3 good seasons, then you'd be calling virtually all of the quarterbacks that are in the NFL right now elite. That completely contradicts itself. You can't be considered elite if you're in the majority, regardless if it's relative to current players or all players.

andyg1984
08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
do you realize my post was on a forward looking basis ? i am not saying who was the best .. i have no clue how you can twist what i said into your reply

--- Added 8/24/2011 at 08:36 PM ---

If you're saying that someone can be elite by having 2 or 3 good seasons, then you'd be calling virtually all of the quarterbacks that are in the NFL right now elite. That completely contradicts itself. You can't be considered elite if you're in the majority, regardless if it's relative to current players or all players.

it is the most recent three years that should matter the most .. he has clearly been one of the top QBs in the NFL over that period .. how does that put him in the majority? this was a specific statement that said it was hard to separate him from a guy that he has statistically outperformed over the last three years .. how is that so unreasonable?

steelersbabex25
08-24-2011, 09:41 PM
do you realize my post was on a forward looking basis ? i am not saying who was the best .. i have no clue how you can twist what i said into your reply

--- Added 8/24/2011 at 08:36 PM ---

it is the most recent three years that should matter the most .. he has clearly been one of the top QBs in the NFL over that period .. how does that put him in the majority? this was a specific statement that said it was hard to separate him from a guy that he has statistically outperformed over the last three years .. how is that so unreasonable?

You said "how can someone not be considered elite just because it's their first few years as a starter." I gave you an answer to that question. All you have to base how good he is right now is 2 good seasons. If you're saying 2 above average seasons makes him an elite player then the majority of quarterbacks in the NFL are elite, seeing as most of them have had more than a few good seasons. /how do you figure it's the most recent 3 years that should matter the most? That's totally subjective.

andyg1984
08-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Stats from the last three years ..

Total TDs .. Rodgers (99) > Manning (94)
INTs .. Manning (45) > rodgers (31)
QB RTG .. Rodgers > manning.. in all but one year ('08 .. his first year)
mobility .. rodgers > manning ..
accuracy on the move .. rodgers > manning

yeah, manning is so much better and A-Rod is so average .. lol .. join the club in a few years if you want but i have been on the bus for the last two years

--- Added 8/24/2011 at 08:47 PM ---

You said "how can someone not be considered elite just because it's their first few years as a starter." I gave you an answer to that question. All you have to base how good he is right now is 2 good seasons. If you're saying 2 above average seasons makes him an elite player then the majority of quarterbacks in the NFL are elite, seeing as most of them have had more than a few good seasons. /how do you figure it's the most recent 3 years that should matter the most? That's totally subjective.

it is the most relevant .. why would you look back past 4 years in the NFL?

steelersbabex25
08-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Stats from the last three years ..

Total TDs .. Rodgers (99) > Manning (94)
INTs .. Manning (45) > rodgers (31)
QB RTG .. Rodgers > manning.. in all but one year ('08 .. his first year)
mobility .. rodgers > manning ..
accuracy on the move .. rodgers > manning

yeah, manning is so much better and A-Rod is so average .. lol .. join the club in a few years if you want but i have been on the bus for the last two years

COMPLETELY irrelevant to the point I'm making. You simply can not compare Rodgers to Manning. Manning has had over 10 superb seasons, Rodgers has had 2. Come back to me about Rodgers being elite in 8 years. If he's still as good, then we can talk.

Big T
08-24-2011, 09:53 PM
So we should pull AP and CJ out of the elite RBs?

Completely different animal. Plus, and I may get **** for this, AP is the only RB in the league I feel is "elite"...CJ is great at what he does, but he's a one-trick pony. AP can do it all.

And I love when people play that stats card when it comes to QBs. If you want to base it on stats, Ben is a very average QB.

steelersbabex25
08-24-2011, 09:53 PM
it is the most relevant .. why would you look back past 4 years in the NFL?

I'll say it again. Because you CAN'T market someone as an elite based off of 2 seasons. If you could then Tommy Maddox would be elite.

andyg1984
08-24-2011, 09:56 PM
so those numbers are from the last three years -not two .. i am saying it is hard to separate the expectations of the two of them on a go-forward basis where PM has had neck issues this whole off-season ..

steelersbabex25
08-24-2011, 09:58 PM
so those numbers are from the last three years -not two .. i am saying it is hard to separate the expectations of the two of them on a go-forward basis where PM has had neck issues this whole off-season ..

2 or 3 doesn't really make a difference in the case of my argument.

MattyVfromCT
08-24-2011, 10:01 PM
The Pats will continue to use their short passing game, and utilize their Tight Ends until the Steelers prove they can stop it. That's been the Achilles heal of Pittsburgh for years.

I have no doubt our offense can hang with the Pats or anyone else. It's the defense that has problems with Brady & Belichick.

From BRC's DroidX of Awesomeness

true that. although the one thing that gives me hope is the coverage adjustments we made for the remainder of 2010 right after the pats embarrassed us on national tv. after that game we were 29th in pass d i believe and were #1 down the stretch to finish 12th for the season. oh, as well as the fact as ugly as that game was, they didnt really start to pull away until keisel, timmons, ward, etc came out for injuries. our d was already thin that week with harrison's back issues, smith being out for the year and ziggy hood playing like crap at that point of the season. i still have to see it first. this streak will end at some point, hopefully SOON! nothing worse than losing to them constantly and being surround by their fans. ALWAYS chirping.....

andyg1984
08-24-2011, 10:23 PM
I'll say it again. Because you CAN'T market someone as an elite based off of 2 seasons. If you could then Tommy Maddox would be elite.

wow .. yea, lets compare a guy who failed in multiple places before he came to us and never threw for more than 20 TDs in a season to A-Rod ..

--- Added 8/24/2011 at 09:05 PM ---

A-Rod just looks too good on tape .. im done .. im sure we will have another ben vs brady someday lol

--- Added 8/24/2011 at 09:15 PM ---

COMPLETELY irrelevant to the point I'm making. You simply can not compare Rodgers to Manning. Manning has had over 10 superb seasons, Rodgers has had 2. Come back to me about Rodgers being elite in 8 years. If he's still as good, then we can talk.

ok .. i guess im not done .. just wanted to clarify (again) that this is a current player to player issue .. not looking at what A-Rod is going to do in his career vs. manning .. just the next few years or so (go-forward basis) ..

--- Added 8/24/2011 at 09:23 PM ---

Completely different animal. Plus, and I may get **** for this, AP is the only RB in the league I feel is "elite"...CJ is great at what he does, but he's a one-trick pony. AP can do it all.

And I love when people play that stats card when it comes to QBs. If you want to base it on stats, Ben is a very average QB.

i understand what you mean on both the different animal and CJ points but you cant tell me manning looks better on tape than A-Rod last year .. the numbers are meant to confirm that it is hard to separate them and i still have not really heard a case why manning is a lock to be better than A-Rod over the next few years except that there is not a large enough sample size .. nothing to do with mechanics,etc .. im not trying to come across hostile .. id just like to know what you think specifically about his game that is not as sharp as PM over the next few years ..

steelcitysfinestXL
08-25-2011, 09:32 AM
I disagree...Ravens don't usually beat the Pats...
Scroll down to the middle of the page till you see Ravens vs the Pats

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/History/Ravens_Vs_NFL.aspx#afceast

Ravens are only 1-0 in post season

My point was: Saying the road to the Superbowl goes through New England is really just an opinion. Think about it: we have 2 SB appearances, the Jets have an AFCC appearance, the Ravens have an AFCC appearance and the Colts have a Superbowl appearance since the Pats have had their last playoff win.

Im not belittling the fact that they indeed have our number in head to head, but to say they have the inside track to Indy is kinda far fetched seeing as how they arent even the favorite in their own division.

TampaSteelGirl
08-25-2011, 11:18 AM
My point was: Saying the road to the Superbowl goes through New England is really just an opinion. Think about it: we have 2 SB appearances, the Jets have an AFCC appearance, the Ravens have an AFCC appearance and the Colts have a Superbowl appearance since the Pats have had their last playoff win.

Im not belittling the fact that they indeed have our number in head to head, but to say they have the inside track to Indy is kinda far fetched seeing as how they arent even the favorite in their own division.

I see what you're saying.....I think im just opinionating that the Pats are not the team they've been the past 2 yrs, meaning not relavant. I think this year they have all the goods to be "The team to beat" this year... yes again it's just an opinion.

mwittman5
08-25-2011, 11:55 AM
I think last year the pats just caught us at the right time. Steelers were coming off 3 straight road games and just looked gassed.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2011, 10:22 PM
The Patriots have had more than there share of success in the regular season here of late. If you can go undefeated in the regular season, you're doing something right. Obviously they didn't finish the deal ultimately but they are still as tough as ever. They've added a ton of new players this offseason, and while it will take time for them to gel, they will always be tough.

Certainly not unbeatable, and we shouldn't just put our tails between our legs and give up. I just hope Lebeau and the defense can find a way to stop that short passing game that just gouges us every time we play them.