PDA

View Full Version : UK fan needs advice on getting to a home game

Foggbloke
08-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Hi
something I've been meaning to do for years, but this year I am coming to a home game!
I'll be flying in and would appreciate some advice on travel to the stadium, when to get there, what goes on before and after the game and anything else you think would help.

Really appreciate any ideas or comments

thanks
Paul

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Congrats! Which game are you going too?
Travel to the stadium depends on which hotel you are staying it but it's definitely a wise idea to get to Heinz Field early in the day on gameday. The traffic is bad enough heading into the city at all when the Steelers play but the later you wait the worse it gets.

steelersbabex25
08-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Yeah to elaborate on what BRC said, you wanna get there early. Try to walk if you can, depending on what hotel you're staying at. I go to one game a year as a little tradition with my dad, and every year we've gone we drive to the strip district and do a little shopping there, and then we walk to the game. It's not a bad walk. Maybe like 20 or 25 minutes depending on how fast of a walker you are. For a 1:00 game, I would try to get to the stadium around 12:00. If you're in the upper section it'll take you 20 minutes just to get up to your seats. Then the pregame festivites start around 12:30.

Foggbloke
08-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Good advice, thanks. One question, where is "the strip district" - maybe I could then look for a hotel there.....

steelersbabex25
08-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Good advice, thanks. One question, where is "the strip district" - maybe I could then look for a hotel there.....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it runs from 11th to 33rd street and then Smallman St, Penn Ave, and Liberty Ave are the main roads that go to those areas. There's a lot of stuff to do there before the game.

Foggbloke
08-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Excellent, found it on the map as well! Thanks.
Just got to find out when my wife will let me loose and sort out which game I can get tickets to. It is looking like a December week 13 or 14 game. Bengals or Browns....
what is the easiest way to get a ticket?

steelersbabex25
08-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Look on Ticketmaster or Stubhub.

TampaSteelGirl
08-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Good for you!!!

NFL Ticket Exchange is a good way to get legit tickets and also ebay..
We always get a hotel close to the stadium..even if we pay more we can walk and don't have to worry about driving all over. One thing you can do it take cabs all over.
I know when we stayed at the Doubletree right downtown and some guy with a Limo was outside before the game..we paid $5 a piece to get a Limo ride to the stadium..great bargain!

I hope you and your wife have an amazing time!!!!!

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Excellent, found it on the map as well! Thanks.
Just got to find out when my wife will let me loose and sort out which game I can get tickets to. It is looking like a December week 13 or 14 game. Bengals or Browns....
what is the easiest way to get a ticket?

Bring some serious warm clothing mate. Enjoy the game.

Foggbloke
08-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Warm clothes? I though it was going to be about 86F !!! Only joking but a good and fair point.
Thanks for the hotel recommendation. Unfortunately my wife insists I make the trip alone, which due to her love of shopping and dislike of all things NFL I think is the best way to go!

Foggbloke
08-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Where is the best place for seats - I'm looking for a good view and good experience. Is the Upper level any good or the Club level better?

steelersbabex25
08-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Where is the best place for seats - I'm looking for a good view and good experience. Is the Upper level any good or the Club level better?

You can't really buy tickets on the club level unless you're ready to throw down atleast $1500. I've sat on the lower portion of the upper level for years and never had any problem. As a matter of fact, the first ever game that I went to, my Dad and I were given club seats from my uncle's friend's neighbor who was a season ticket holder, and let me tell you if you're looking for the experience, get seats on the upper deck.

Foggbloke
08-26-2011, 02:42 PM
I can get one in section 237 - is this any good?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-26-2011, 03:01 PM
http://www.listeasy.net/venuemaps/pittsburgh%20steelers_heinz%20field.jpg

STEELyourface
08-26-2011, 03:30 PM
This is my personal opinion but I'll throw it out there in case you find it helpful.

I would sacrifice gaining altitude (within reason) for being as close to on the 50 yard line as possible. I'm not saying sit in the very last row of the upper deck on the 50 over club level 30 yd line but it can suck to get stuck in one endzone.

That is just my opinion everyone likes different locations but as a general rule for seeing the whole field and ALL the action a little higher up and on/close to the 50 is better than many options.

I'm writing this based on the assumption you don't have a ton of American football experience since you are from England and the types of ?s you are asking. Sorry if that is an incorrect assumption I certainly don't mean to offend.

On the same note, if it helps you can think of it the same as soccer when it comes to where and why it is a good seat.

Foggbloke
08-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have been watching since the 70's and been to all the UK International Series at Wembley (last year was the 49'ers and Broncos) but I'm asking the questions instead of assuming I know the answers - you guys have been there and know - I don't and don't want to make a stupid mistake!
Anyway - just bought my ticket for the Dec 4th game - Section 237 !!!! Better go get a flight and hotel now!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Keep us updated on your travel plans. We do tailgates every home game, they're always a good time.

STEELyourface
08-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have been watching since the 70's and been to all the UK International Series at Wembley (last year was the 49'ers and Broncos) but I'm asking the questions instead of assuming I know the answers - you guys have been there and know - I don't and don't want to make a stupid mistake!
Anyway - just bought my ticket for the Dec 4th game - Section 237 !!!! Better go get a flight and hotel now!!!!

Good to hear, I'm sure you'll have a blast in the 'burgh. Make sure to eat a sandwich from Pirmanti Bros. for me, it's been too long! Again, I wasn't saying you didn't know football just wasn't sure how much info you were asking for regarding where to sit so I just told you how I try to do it.

Cheers!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Take lots of pics when you're there dude. I'll try and take some tomorrow at the game to give you an idea of the view from your seats.

From BRC's DroidX of Awesomeness

Steel Trap86
08-27-2011, 12:43 AM
there's a holiday inn right near Pittsburgh Mills Mall thats only $120 a night. You would have to drive about 10 min to the stadium, but parking is not as bad as some might say. We parked in a 6 story garage about a 2 min walk from heinz and partied with every tailgater on the way down lol. While you're there, check out Calico Jacks on the north shore, amazing before and after party with awesome food. I'll be at the Pats game on Oct 30, can't ****in wait!

Foggbloke
08-27-2011, 06:35 AM
Hey, thanks for all the excellent info.... looking forward to seeing those pictures BRC!
I'd love to come to a tailgate - we hear so much about them over here and about how good they are.... At Wembley they have a "tailgate" but I can't image it's like the real thing, just a collection of side shows and retail....
Roll on the start of the season and Dec 4th!!!!

steeldoc
08-27-2011, 12:37 PM
All good advice, I too go once a year, stay at the old Hilton which is something else now. Short walk across the bridge. Always go to Primantis in the Strip but never after the game, you will be there forever. It may be very cold in December, I'm afraid you may never have experienced the wind coming off the Point in a stadium which has an open end. I dress as if I'm hunting in Alaska or your experience will suffer. Hands, face and feet need to be protected, and protected well. I have down mittens and use hand and feet warmers just for the occasion. Lots of layers, trust me you will need it. Have fun.:cope::cope:

steelersbabex25
08-27-2011, 12:41 PM
All good advice, I too go once a year, stay at the old Hilton which is something else now. Short walk across the bridge. Always go to Primantis in the Strip but never after the game, you will be there forever. It may be very cold in December, I'm afraid you may never have experienced the wind coming off the Point in a stadium which has an open end. I dress as if I'm hunting in Alaska or your experience will suffer. Hands, face and feet need to be protected, and protected well. I have down mittens and use hand and feet warmers just for the occasion. Lots of layers, trust me you will need it. Have fun.:cope::cope:

:yesnod: We bought hand and feet warmers for the game last year. They were a bit uncomfortable but they did their job. No matter how warm I dress I always seem to cramp up from the cold towards the last half of the game. Not fun at all. Luckily I'm going to the game on Oct 30th this year, which shouldn't be too bad.

jwmann2
08-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Trip Advisor is a pretty cool website that can tell you a lot about visiting Pittsburgh. I know they are linked to tons of sites so you can book your hotel and plane.

Foggbloke
08-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Trip Advisor is a pretty cool website that can tell you a lot about visiting Pittsburgh. I know they are linked to tons of sites so you can book your hotel and plane.

HI
I know a bit about Trip Advisor - my own B&B is on it! But I'll check it out after I get the flights sorted.
Just getting my head around the likely temperature during the game.... we are lucky if it goes below Zero at all around here, so will have to go shopping for some serious cold weather gear.... might have to get it when I get to Pittsburgh, I don't even think they sell anything good enough over here!

STEELyourface
08-28-2011, 05:11 PM
HI
I know a bit about Trip Advisor - my own B&B is on it! But I'll check it out after I get the flights sorted.
Just getting my head around the likely temperature during the game.... we are lucky if it goes below Zero at all around here, so will have to go shopping for some serious cold weather gear.... might have to get it when I get to Pittsburgh, I don't even think they sell anything good enough over here!

Sure they sell the proper gear there. My mate is from Mountain Keanes (sp?) and when he comes to the states for skiing he's got all the good cold weather gear he needs. I wanted to mention, as far as a good place to stay, if you like nice hotels (and don't mind spending money on that sort of thing), the William Penn is a really nice hotel and is not a bad walk to the stadium (about 1.5 miles). I just thought since you mentioned you own a B&B you may like nice hotels. Some people do, some don't thought I'd mention it though

Root4Stlrs
08-29-2011, 01:10 AM

I loved the old Hilton because the Steelers stayed there - I don't know where they stay now since it's no longer the Hilton. We haven't been there in awhile. I find if I dress right, especially with the down coat and all the other stuff I don't get too cold. A lot of it has to do with how far up you're sitting, too, I think. That wind blowing off the river especially at night games in December can be brutal. I think it's the best when it's snowing though.

UKSTEELER
08-29-2011, 03:39 AM
Have a great time, if I had the reddies I'd go with you.

Unlike you the missus would love it too!

Does the boat still run to the stadium that time of year, that's a cool way to get there?

B&B in Windsor, interesting, will have to check that out.

All the best

Keith:helmet:

steelersbabex25
08-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Have a great time, if I had the reddies I'd go with you.

Unlike you the missus would love it too!

Does the boat still run to the stadium that time of year, that's a cool way to get there?

B&B in Windsor, interesting, will have to check that out.

All the best

Keith:helmet:

Pretty sure the boat runs every game, but I have no clue where it leaves from and if you have to wait in line forever to get on it.

Foggbloke
08-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Nice idea the boat, but I have a feeling I'll be enjoying the walk as a good chance to look around and buy WARM clothing!!!

Foggbloke
11-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Game day is getting close - got my tickets, flying out on the 2nd Dec, staying in a B&B within walking distance of the game!
I've love to get a chance to go to a tailgate - whats the deal with this? I have a relative in Toronto who says just grab a 6 pack and go for a walk??? But I've heard so much about Tailgates I'd love to really experience it..... any advice?
thanks
Paul