PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree that Timmons got signed before Polamalu?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Yesterday Lawrence Timmons signed his new deal, total 6 years for 50 million.

Earlier in training camp, Lamarr Woodley signed his new deal worth 61.5 million. Both players would have been unrestricted free agents after the 2011 season.

However, Safetey Troy Polamalu is in the last year of his deal and will hit the market in 2012 if the Steelers don't reach a new deal with him first or use a Franchise Tag on him.

connecticutsteel
08-24-2011, 08:41 AM
I think that maybe this means two things .1 It could mean that more veterans will be cut and troy,s deal will get done during the coming weeks or they will wait til next year to see if he gets injured

JensK
08-24-2011, 08:42 AM
It makes perfect sense to me. Timmons is upcoming and I think they want to see if Troy can stay healthy before the sign him. They are not going to throw a huge contract after him if he cannot stay healthy.

TampaSteelGirl
08-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Troy isn't going anywhere...they will slap the franchise tag on him like they did Woodley and pay him big next year...:tt02:

Besides a 50% Troy is better than a 100% Willie Gay..just sayin

steelcitysfinestXL
08-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Two words for Troy: franchise tag! He needs to prove he can stay healthy for a whole season. I'd like to see them tag Troy next offseason and sign Wallace first. Wallaces price will rise every year while Troys will go down. If the steelers use the tag they can get 2 years out of Troy and only $8 mil in 2012.

He got his big payday already: 4 years at $30 mil was the highest paid defender for the steelers at that time. Tag him and work on a 2-3 year deal in 2012!

LarryNJ
08-24-2011, 09:10 AM
^ :plus1:

They did the right thing signing Timmons.

LatrobePA
08-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Troy wants to stay here and I'm sure he wanted to lock down as many guys B4 he worried about himself..

K Train
08-24-2011, 09:24 AM
where does everyone get this notion that troy doesnt care about money and put everyones priority over his own? is it cause hes quiet? lol

LatrobePA
08-24-2011, 09:31 AM
is it cause hes quiet? lol

Prolly (at least for me)! lol

Blazedby92
08-24-2011, 09:35 AM
where does everyone get this notion that troy doesnt care about money and put everyones priority over his own? is it cause hes quiet? lol

Agreed, He'll demand another high pay day just like the last time.

cmerrifield
08-24-2011, 10:31 AM
After Troy's last deal, which made him the highest paid safety in the NFL and I think the highest paid Steeler or biggest contract for the Steelers then, he said "Well, you have to get paid to work, glad that is over with." Like he signed a deal for the vet minimum or something. Troy will command a big payday. I am not sure he will want the same money he got last time, but his "hometown" discount wont be like Farrior making 3 million a year, it will be more like Ward making just over 5 million a year.

K Train
08-24-2011, 10:34 AM
After Troy's last deal, which made him the highest paid safety in the NFL and I think the highest paid Steeler or biggest contract for the Steelers then, he said "Well, you have to get paid to work, glad that is over with." Like he signed a deal for the vet minimum or something. Troy will command a big payday. I am not sure he will want the same money he got last time, but his "hometown" discount wont be like Farrior making 3 million a year, it will be more like Ward making just over 5 million a year.

hes going to want eric berry money or close to it, no doubt about it

cmerrifield
08-24-2011, 10:52 AM
hes going to want eric berry money or close to it, no doubt about it

I am not sure quite that high, but I could see him taking a 4 year 25-28 million dollar deal. That would just be around 5 million less than his last one.

DIESELMAN
08-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Polamalu and Steelers in holding pattern.....

Within a span of three weeks, the Steelers handed out more than $138 million in contracts to their second-ranked defense, and the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year didn't get one cent.

Troy Polamalu will become an unrestricted free agent following the season if the Steelers don't get a deal done with the three-time All-Pro safety within the next two weeks.

And with the Steelers so close to the salary cap this year, Polamalu likely will have to wait until after the season to get a long-term deal.

Either way, Polamalu isn't talking specifics.

"I'd love to be here; I'd love to retire a Steeler," Polamalu said. "All comments regarding the contract stay between the Steelers and my agent. Sorry."

The Steelers want to keep Polamalu but might have to put the franchise tag on him in March. The franchise tag for safeties next year is projected to be about $9 million. Polamalu is in the final year of a deal that paid him $6.6 million a season.

"To be honest, it is part of the (collective bargaining agreement) that all of us agreed on," Polamalu said of the franchise tag. "It's part of the system."

Polamalu first needs to show he can stay healthy. He missed 11 games in 2009 with a knee injury and missed two more last year, when he suffered an Achilles injury that troubled him the second half of the season.

The 30-year-old has missed 21 games over the past five years after not missing any his first three years.

"We are not worried about Troy," receiver Hines Ward said. "I guess everybody expects him to make a play every game. He is making plays when he is not making plays."

The Steelers have taken a cautious approach to Polamalu in the preseason because of his injury issues. Polamalu was given days off during training camp and didn't play the first preseason game against Washington.

He returned last week against the Eagles and showed that he was 100 percent.

"I would be completely fine if Troy showed up Sunday morning and went home, and we never saw him again (until the next game)," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "He is that good. He is that good of a player that he can just show up and play games and still be one of the best, if not the best in the game."

Polamalu didn't have a tackle against the Eagles, but he was all over the field. He had two pass breakups and an interception that he returned 36 yards.

"It is back to business as usual for Troy," linebacker James Farrior said. "He is making the plays that we expect him to make on a normal basis, even though they are not normal plays for him."

Polamalu wasn't able to practice much down the stretch last year. Instead of on-the-field

training, he turned more to watching videotape.

That created mixed results, the most notable coming in the Super Bowl when he an?tici?pated a route by Greg Jennings that ended up turning into a touchdown.

"I felt like I got a little too much tape where you start thinking and anticipating a little too much," Polamalu said. "Absolutely, I need practice. The most important thing is to get your eyes accustomed to seeing the right things and snapping into your keys and react to your keys as fast as possible."

And when healthy, Polamalu is a difference-maker for the Steelers, who are 6-7 the past two years with him out of the lineup.

"He's fresh," Ward said. "It is just a matter of keeping him healthy now."

By TribLIVE

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.956566,-86.075364
Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Their definitely doing the right thing, holding off on Troy right now. You have to think too that they've contacted his agent and told him, "look we've got guys we need to sign, we haven't forgotten about you, just sit tight". I'm sure Troy will want top Safety money, there is no doubt, he's earned it. I still think if it comes right down to it he'll offer some type of a hometown discount as long as the offer is close and fair market value. I really don't think he'll throw a fit if he's not offered 60 million.

Then again, nobody thought Hines Ward would hold out a few years ago and he did.

steelersbabex25
08-24-2011, 12:57 PM
I don't think it's that Troy doesn't want money, it's that he's probably more likely to stick around and put together a deal than Timmons is. I think for as long Troy has been here, he definitely wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh. Timmons? I think Timmons was probably more likely to leave than Troy is now.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Woodley/Timmons both needed to be extended and the Steelers got it done..........As for Troy, yes he is a great player when fully healthy and really there isn't a safety that compares to him when he is.......But I want to see him stay healthy this season before the Steelers sign him to a huge contract again......The Steelers can franchise tag him but Troy will get his money......The Rooney's have kept their own since Heinz Field has been built.....So Troy isn't going anywhere....

Both Troy and Mike Wallace will be resigned next year.....book it

Rampage
08-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Given Timmons' quality of play and the fact that he is now being given more freedom in Lebeau's defense, I think he is more important to the future of the organization.

STEELyourface
08-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Two words for Troy: franchise tag! He needs to prove he can stay healthy for a whole season. I'd like to see them tag Troy next offseason and sign Wallace first. Wallaces price will rise every year while Troys will go down. If the steelers use the tag they can get 2 years out of Troy and only $8 mil in 2012.

He got his big payday already: 4 years at $30 mil was the highest paid defender for the steelers at that time. Tag him and work on a 2-3 year deal in 2012!

I don't think anymore needs to be said on this subject because you pretty much nailed it!

--- Added 8/24/2011 at 02:48 PM ---

The Post Gazette reported Wallace and Troy will have to wait until after the season. The Steelers have no plans to give either new a deal this year.

SteelDad
08-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Football is a business and you have to protect your most important properties. Right now, LT is younger, healthier and a better long-term risk than Troy. TP should want to get paid, but even he knows that if he cannot stay healthy he is not worth a big-time contract at this point in his career.

PsychoWard
08-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Hell yea I think this was the right move!! Pay the young buck he defintely deserves it,Troy has had his pay days and will get another one but he is probably going to have to wait a year just so steelers can make sure he stays healthy!! That being said if they do wait to next year Troy could have a huge year if he is playing for the big pay check!!!

86WARD
08-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Yes. No doubt. Have to be cautious with Troy. He'll get franchised if the Steelers want to keep him and they'll eventually get a deal done just like they did with Woodley.

Real Deal Steel
08-24-2011, 11:31 PM
As much as I love Troy, he's health is a concern to me too.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Within a span of three weeks, the Steelers handed out more than $138 million in contracts to their second-ranked defense, and the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year didn't get one cent.

Troy Polamalu will become an unrestricted free agent following the season if the Steelers don't get a deal done with the three-time All-Pro safety within the next two weeks.

And with the Steelers so close to the salary cap this year, Polamalu likely will have to wait until after the season to get a long-term deal.

Either way, Polamalu isn't talking specifics.

"I'd love to be here; I'd love to retire a Steeler," Polamalu said. "All comments regarding the contract stay between the Steelers and my agent. Sorry."
The Steelers want to keep Polamalu but might have to put the franchise tag on him in March. The franchise tag for safeties next year is projected to be about $9 million. Polamalu is in the final year of a deal that paid him $6.6 million a season.

"To be honest, it is part of the (collective bargaining agreement) that all of us agreed on," Polamalu said of the franchise tag. "It's part of the system."
Polamalu first needs to show he can stay healthy. He missed 11 games in 2009 with a knee injury and missed two more last year, when he suffered an Achilles injury that troubled him the second half of the season.

The 30-year-old has missed 21 games over the past five years after not missing any his first three years.

"We are not worried about Troy," receiver Hines Ward said. "I guess everybody expects him to make a play every game. He is making plays when he is not making plays."

The Steelers have taken a cautious approach to Polamalu in the preseason because of his injury issues. Polamalu was given days off during training camp and didn't play the first preseason game against Washington.

He returned last week against the Eagles and showed that he was 100 percent.
"I would be completely fine if Troy showed up Sunday morning and went home, and we never saw him again (until the next game)," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "He is that good. He is that good of a player that he can just show up and play games and still be one of the best, if not the best in the game."

Polamalu didn't have a tackle against the Eagles, but he was all over the field. He had two pass breakups and an interception that he returned 36 yards.

"It is back to business as usual for Troy," linebacker James Farrior said. "He is making the plays that we expect him to make on a normal basis, even though they are not normal plays for him."

Polamalu wasn't able to practice much down the stretch last year. Instead of on-the-field training, he turned more to watching videotape. That created mixed results, the most notable coming in the Super Bowl when he an?tici?pated a route by Greg Jennings that ended up turning into a touchdown.

"I felt like I got a little too much tape where you start thinking and anticipating a little too much," Polamalu said. "Absolutely, I need practice. The most important thing is to get your eyes accustomed to seeing the right things and snapping into your keys and react to your keys as fast as possible."

And when healthy, Polamalu is a difference-maker for the Steelers, who are 6-7 the past two years with him out of the lineup.

"He's fresh," Ward said. "It is just a matter of keeping him healthy now."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Safety%20Polamalu,%20Steelers%20in%20holding%20pat tern%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_753067.html#ixzz1W0aIV75f)

Steel Trap86
08-24-2011, 11:48 PM
It's in the works.

Not a chance they let Polamolu walk, no ****in way.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-25-2011, 06:46 AM
It's in the works.

Not a chance they let Polamolu walk, no ****in way.

Right! he will give them a hometown discount to, his health is a concern but we need Troy and the Rooneys knows this...

Nolrog
08-26-2011, 08:37 AM
It was critical that they got 2 of the 3 signed so they could franchise the other. To me, it didn't really matter which 2 it was, but now we're guaranteed to have all 3 on the team next year as well.

scott0326
08-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Has Troy ever actually said he would give a hometown discount?

STEELyourface
08-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Has Troy ever actually said he would give a hometown discount?

That is a really good question. He doesn't seem like the type of guy who's masculinity is completely tied to the 0000's on his contract though.

Dobre Shunka
08-28-2011, 03:39 AM
They did it exactly right. With Woodley and LT Steelers for years to come they will:

1st: Tag Polo
2nd: Sign Wallace

and then sign Troy to retire him a Steeler w/ Ben, Woodley, Ward, and Timmons.