PDA

View Full Version : Could McFadden be the odd CB out??

LatrobePA
08-23-2011, 08:42 PM
The big news of the day was not the earthquake that shook the Pittsburgh area and the Steelers' facility on the South Side, but the signing of linebacker Lawrence Timmons.

Timmons got a six-year extension worth $50 million from the Steelers, giving them three linebackers who are earning an average of nearly $10 million per year.

That's a lot of money tied up in the front seven and the defense in general.

But it also means the Steelers have now tied up their two youngest defensive starters – Timmons and LaMarr Woodley – to long-term deals.

That's significant considering they are the only two starters who are under 30.

The team still has yet to do anything with strong safety Troy Polamalu, but may wait on that. Polamalu could be given the franchise tag at the end of the season.

Speaking of young defensive players, rumblings are getting stronger that Bryant McFadden may be the odd man out when the Steelers start cutting corners – no pun intended.

The thinking is that at this point in his career, McFadden is what he is. He's not going to get any better. And what he is right now is adequate.

But would the defense be any worse off with, say, Keenan Lewis in the starting lineup opposite Ike Taylor?

At least there is the opportunity that Lewis could still get better.

And with a number of young corners on the roster who the Steelers don't want to give up on, it may not make sense to keep McFadden and his higher salary hit and take the chance on somebody signing Crezdon Butler or Cortez Allen if they are released.

Trai Essex admitted to allowing himself to get out of shape in the offseason, which was a big reason why the Steelers didn't re-sign him.

His signing, even at this late date, could mean the Steelers aren't happy with the progress made by some of their young linemen, particularly Chris Scott.

Scott was given the chance to win the right guard spot and failed badly against Washington. He followed that up with a sub-par effort last week against Philadephia.

There is also some concern that Jonathan Scott's knee injury may not be completely healed when the Steelers roll into Baltimore in Week 1.

--- Added 8/23/2011 at 07:42 PM ---

NFL from the sidelines
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.

cmerrifield
08-23-2011, 09:30 PM
I dont know, McFadden was terrible last year, but he was injured, but if he is starting this year with an injury, then maybe he should be cut. It just scares me to think that Lewis and Gay could be our starting option. I was hoping Butler would show his stuff this offseason, but his injury is preventing that. Maybe we should just trade next years 2nd and the year after's 2nd round picks to the Eagles for Samuel.

LatrobePA
08-23-2011, 09:35 PM
At some point they need to get the young blood in there.. But I agree could be scary!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Funny you should bring this up Latrobe, LOL. We talked about this on the recent Blitzburgh Radio Podcast (http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/player/web/2011-08-23T19_15_24-07_00). I tend to think that right now, Cortez Allen would be the odd man out unfortunately. McFadden, although not a lock, is probably going to make the team based on his experience alone.

Keenan Lewis and Donovan Warren are two guys that are having a great camp and great preseason. Curtis Brown is going to make the team regardless of his injury; you don't cut a 2nd round pick right off the bat. We still need to see Crezdon Butler as well. Right now there's just so many question marks it's hard to say.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-24-2011, 01:01 AM
I'm so sick of hearing the trade for Asante Samuel talk....Asante has no interest in the run game....Steelers corners must tackle and play the run......They're not trading for Asante....He is a great cover guy and playmaking corner but I'm just thinking from the Steelers perspective......

connecticutsteel
08-24-2011, 01:25 AM
I say if they cut B Mac so be it . Lewis looks completely transformed this year .Players like B. McFadden are a dime a dozen in the nfl. I'm in favor of cutting all overpriced players and let youth reign . Youth = speed speed=leathal defense

STEELyourface
08-24-2011, 01:41 AM
I say if they cut B Mac so be it . Lewis looks completely transformed this year .Players like B. McFadden are a dime a dozen in the nfl. I'm in favor of cutting all overpriced players and let youth reign . Youth = speed speed=leathal defense

:yellowthumb: If not now, when.....

Thisoneguy555
08-24-2011, 02:31 AM
He probably wont be starting... I doubt he'll get cut though

Rampage
08-24-2011, 01:11 PM
The year we beat AZ in the Super Bowl, I was excited about BMac's play. He seemed to cover well and he was snagging some interceptions. Now it's always a strained abdominal muscle, a tweaked quadricep, a tight hamstring, etc. He hasn't been healthy and he hasn't been all that useful. I would rather see a healthy Keenan Lewis get the starting job to see if he has the tools to become a solid corner than just get another year of mediocrity from BMac.

K Train
08-24-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm so sick of hearing the trade for Asante Samuel talk....Asante has no interest in the run game....Steelers corners must tackle and play the run......They're not trading for Asante....He is a great cover guy and playmaking corner but I'm just thinking from the Steelers perspective......

wouldnt hurt to have a good cover guy though..the rest are excellent tackling corners, having samuel be a pussy tackler and get 10 picks is a fair trade off

Black@Gold Forever32
08-24-2011, 02:01 PM
wouldnt hurt to have a good cover guy though..the rest are excellent tackling corners, having samuel be a pussy tackler and get 10 picks is a fair trade off

But my point is I don't think the Steelers are interested in trading for a corner that can't play the run......I'm just looking at it from a Steelers perspective.......The Steelers ask their corners to play the run and they must be able to tackle....

I agree with you having a corner that is strictly a cover guy and a ball hawk like Samuel would be nice but its not happening.......

Danger DANJ
08-24-2011, 03:06 PM
McFadden was the worst DB on the team last year and one of the worst in the NFL. I can't see Lewis or Butler or whoever playing much worse. They will probably be better, especially if Troy is healthy. Even Gay is worth keeping for dime packages.

connecticutsteel
08-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Hopefully the starting cb's are Taylor
Lewis
Brown nickleback
Gay dimeback
100 % better than a hurt Mcfadden

86WARD
08-24-2011, 06:02 PM
I'd love to see Lewis or Brown or Butler step up and take the darting job from McFadden. Nothing would make me happier!!

greg1964
08-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Corner-backs: I. Taylor, K. Lewis are starters: with C. Brown, D. Warren and C. Butler as backups:
Safeties: R. Clark, T. Polamalu, are starters R. Mundy, and D. Cromarie-Smith as backups