PDA

View Full Version : Trai Essex resigned

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Trai Essex was resigned and put on roster... good to have a back up familiar with system.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200908/freed_steelers080709_3_500.jpg
Tackle Jonathan Scott's minor knee injury was enough to throw a scare into the Steelers because they re-signed tackle/guard Trai Essex today to a one-year contract.
Essex, who came to them as a tackle in the third round of the 2005 NFL draft, started 25 games, some at tackle, some at guard. He opened the 2009 season He won the job and started all 16 games at right guard in 2009 and opened last season there. However, he sprained an ankle in the second game, returned to start three more games at mid-season but then lost his starting job to Ramon Foster.

Essex became an unrestricted free agent this year.

Scott left Thursday night's game with a knee injury on the first play from scrimmage. There was no ligament damage to his knee but the Steelers have no experienced backups at tackle and there even has been talk of re-signing 36-year-old Flozell Adams.
The Steelers released first-year guard Nevin McCaskill to make room for Essex on the roster.

From the PG: (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11234/1169096-100.stm#ixzz1VoCWMI49)

connecticutsteel
08-22-2011, 07:13 PM
I might have resigned Starks before Essex i guess his neck is worse than i thought if he's healthy he would be signed by now by someone LT don't grow on trees

K Train
08-22-2011, 07:16 PM
ugh, another step backwards

BlitzburghRockCity
08-22-2011, 07:40 PM
I guess it's good from a depth perspective. He's never been overly impressive when he does get playing time. It's mainly an insurance move with all the injuries to the line so far.

Big T
08-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Oh hell yes!!! O line officially sured up!!!

connecticutsteel
08-22-2011, 09:47 PM
They took him over someone else cause he knows the call that's it

BlitzburghRockCity
08-22-2011, 09:51 PM
He didn't get much attention in free agency, that should tell you something. He is a veteran that knows the system though, and since the Steelers love veterans this was a no brainer for them. No guarantee he makes the final roster though, depending on how the injuries pan out over the next couple weeks.

connecticutsteel
08-22-2011, 09:56 PM
i thought Gilbert and hills did great but i guess we need all the back ups we can get especially when you can just plug them in

K Train
08-22-2011, 09:57 PM
would have rather brought flo back

BlitzburghRockCity
08-22-2011, 10:22 PM
I was thinking that too actually, but he still wants his 5 million last I heard and I'm pretty sure Essex didn't cost that much, LOL. If we get down to actually having to play Essex at LT then we are in serious trouble regardless.

Katmandu
08-23-2011, 12:19 AM
I was thinking that too actually, but he still wants his 5 million last I heard and I'm pretty sure Essex didn't cost that much, LOL. I guess Flo is going to enjoy his retirement then!

STEELyourface
08-23-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm kind of thinking Starks would've been a better option than Essex?!?

I'll just believe that management knows what they are doing on this one, that strategy rarely lets me down. Man it is so nice to have quality ownership and front office peeps! I look at the Raiders, Redskins, and Bungles and just think, "The agony of being a fan could not possibly outweigh the joy they occasionally get to experience!"

madtowndrunkard
08-23-2011, 01:35 AM
We couldn't give Waters a shot at OT? The whole kicking thing doesn't seem to be working out for him... he can't be any worse then Essex at blocking.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Trai Essex=bum

nice waste of third round pick

Mr. Goosemahn
08-23-2011, 02:15 AM
I think there are two reasons why we signed Essex over Starks or Adams.

1. Essex can play inside too. Granted, he's not as good as either Starks or Adams at OT, but he can play inside in a pinch, those two can't.

2. Price. Essex is undoubtedly cheaper than the other two guys, and quite frankly I don't think he'll make the final roster. The team just needs a LT in case Scott and Gilbert aren't ready to go on Saturday, because otherwise the team won't be able to get an extended look at Hills as our starting RG.

K Train
08-23-2011, 10:56 AM
if this signing is to make sure hills gets reps at guard and doesnt have to move back to LT im ok with it.

andyg1984
08-23-2011, 01:52 PM
is max still in fat camp ?

TampaSteelGirl
08-23-2011, 02:14 PM
I might have resigned Starks before Essex i guess his neck is worse than i thought if he's healthy he would be signed by now by someone LT don't grow on trees

Yea I agree here...

--- Added 8/23/2011 at 12:14 PM ---

if this signing is to make sure hills gets reps at guard and doesnt have to move back to LT im ok with it.

Yes me too

BlitzburghRockCity
08-23-2011, 04:47 PM
is max still in fat camp ?

The status of Starks is still somewhat up in the air. Nobody really knows for how he is right now, or if he's gotten any other offers from teams. I would imagine though the combination of his weight but also his neck problems have kept teams away. I would say probably more his injury than the weight issues. Teams will take a chance on a guy that eats too many twinkies but they won't touch a guy with neck and back problems with a 10' poll.

LatrobePA
08-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Trai Essex=bum

nice waste of third round pick

Any many more.....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
08-24-2011, 04:27 PM
I have to give Essex some credit, one of the main reasons he wasn't resigned earlier is that he allowed himself to get out of shape and wasn't ready for camp. He took it upon himself to get back in shape and be ready when the Steelers called him.