PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ DB Coach, Carnell Lake, Breaks Down The CB Position

Katmandu
08-22-2011, 12:24 PM
From CBS Local

They mainly focused on the cornerback position. Ike Taylor’s injury has given the younger guys more reps and they have gotten better looks than normal.
Carnell said that Keenan Lewis has the ability to be a staple in the Steelers’ dime packages, but he has to prove that he belongs.
Finally, they talk about cornerback, Donovan Warren and how he has stood out. Carnell is impressed with the way Warren has played, He has shown that he is a contender to make the team.

Ibleedblk&gld
08-22-2011, 12:31 PM
they said in the interview that Keenan Lewis can cover Mike Wallace...Carnell then says he believes Lewis can cover anyone in the NFL..let's hope he plays more like he did against the iggles

K Train
08-22-2011, 12:41 PM
im pleasantly surprised with lewis, i remember him doing a good job on calvin in last years preseason.

i like warren a bit more though oddly enough

harpo
08-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Looks like the addition of Carnell Lake as the DB Coach is paying off. I just hope they carry it over into the reg. season and playoffs.

K Train
08-22-2011, 12:49 PM
the change in oline coach and DB coach could prove to be huge this year, things seem to be falling in place

BlitzburghRockCity
08-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Im just not sold on Lewis yet. Hopefully he steps up and has 2 more good preseason games. That will give us a better indication of how good he could be. He might be forced into starting regardless, if McFadden can't go.

At that point though I'd figure Gay would be the other starting corner and Lewis the NB.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-22-2011, 12:57 PM
the change in oline coach and DB coach could prove to be huge this year, things seem to be falling in place

I loved the hire of Sean Kugler and I think he did a tremendous job considering all of the injuries last year....He seems to get the most out of players and really coaches them up unlike the clown before him Coach Z.......

Carnell Lake was a great player for the Steelers and he really was a big key in the Steelers reaching Super Bowl XXX in 1995 when moved from safety to corner since Woodson was lost for the season in week 1 vs the Lions.....Sometimes being a great player doesn't make a good coach but it seems Lake is having a positive influence on the secondary so far.......

LatrobePA
08-22-2011, 01:32 PM

Couldn't agree more...

steelcitysfinestXL
08-22-2011, 03:18 PM
I loved the hire of Sean Kugler and I think he did a tremendous job considering all of the injuries last year....He seems to get the most out of players and really coaches them up unlike the clown before him Coach Z.......

:plus1: and i hope Lake can do the same thing. I liked Donovan Warren out of college and he was assumed to be a draftee in '10. Im kinda shocked he wasnt! Lewis is so hit or miss its hard to get too high or too low on him. Though, i think his little erruption last preseason really cost him alot. He's starting to show he can be an asset at just the right time.

coldrolled
08-22-2011, 04:24 PM
maybe keenan just needs to play the position that fits his style??
man to man , speed vs speed

BlitzburghRockCity
08-22-2011, 04:26 PM
No doubt, I'm anxious to see how the secondary does with Lake coaching them. If he can get similar results out of them that Sean Kugler gets with the offensive line, we'll be set.

We sometimes forget, this team was in the top 5 in interceptions and 3rd down percentage completion on defense. For all the flack we give them and all the problems they had against good QB's, they held their own as far as the stats go.

This unit just has to stay healthy.

connecticutsteel
08-22-2011, 06:08 PM
I think Lewis is the type of guy who if you say your the man were counting on you he will meet the challenge if you make him compete he loses confidence Im not saying hand him the jobbut if he can cover anyone in the league let him try.

K Train
08-22-2011, 06:17 PM
lewis looks much more smooth and comfortable in coverage than ive ever seen him before.

still a notch below warrens progress imo though

connecticutsteel
08-22-2011, 06:40 PM
I agree now if Butler would show up he could be in the slot or nickel and we would be golden . Then next year C allen and C Brown will come around and we can get rid of over priced BMac and Gay .

It's kinda funny that it was the coach not the talent level i think Coach Lake raised everyone's game we knew that Lewis was talented it took proper coaching to bring it out

Real Deal Steel
08-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Looks like the addition of Carnell Lake as the DB Coach is paying off. I just hope they carry it over into the reg. season and playoffs.

I totally agree. Lake is what we needed because he can definitely get and keep the players attention as an ex secondary player.

coldrolled
08-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Mays is coming to the AFC North

The Cincinnati Bengals traded an undisclosed draft pick to the San Francisco 49ers for safety Taylor Mays, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports. The deal has been rumored for weeks since Donte Whitner spurned the Bengals in free agency for San Francisco.