PDA

View Full Version : How does this Steelers wide receiver group stack up across the league?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Hines Ward said during a recent interview with the Trib that this current group is most talented he's seen in Pittsburgh in a long time.

He said he doesn't compare this team to other Steelers teams, but he is excited at all the talent at wide receiver. The potential is scary good and he can't wait to see what they can do in the regular season. There can't possibly be enough balls to go around can there?

As far as this group, potentially speaking, if you look at what they are capable of you'd have to say they are right up there with the best groups in the league. The only better overall right now is the Packers.

Ward, Wallace, Brown, Cotchery, alone are all capable of being "go to" guys and making a play when needed. Then you all in Sanders who even though he's hurt showed more than enough last year to make you think he's got what it takes. Then factor in Heath Miller and the passing game for Pittsburgh can stack up against anybody in the league.

LatrobePA
08-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Ward, Wallace, Brown, Cotchery, alone are all capable of being "go to" guys and making a play when needed. Then you all in Sanders who even though he's hurt showed more than enough last year to make you think he's got what it takes. Then factor in Heath Miller and the passing game for Pittsburgh can stack up against anybody in the league.

Scary good, IMO we have quietly the best out there...

SteelDad
08-22-2011, 11:32 AM
I would argue with Cotchery, we are now even better than the Packers. At least with better depth anyway.

K Train
08-22-2011, 11:34 AM
best ive ever seen for the steelers personally...holmes would make it legendary :-(

PRYOR BABY lol

Black@Gold Forever32
08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
This WR core has the potential to be damn good......Wallace is already the best deep WR in the NFL and really is improving his overall game to be a complete WR.....I think he is in the top 10 best WR's in the NFL period.......Both Brown and Sanders are in the 2nd and really its how these two young WR's play this year will determine how good this WR core will be.....If both Brown/Sanders play like I think they can then really the sky is the limit for this group.....

K Train
08-22-2011, 11:45 AM
man now just think about pryor and heath making sweet magic on turf.

lol

TampaSteelGirl
08-22-2011, 11:47 AM
best ive ever seen for the steelers personally...holmes would make it legendary :-(

PRYOR BABY lol

K-train..get over it, HOlmes is gone sweetie!!!

--- Added 8/22/2011 at 09:47 AM ---

Scary good, IMO we have quietly the best out there...

Gotta agree here! :yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
08-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Jerricho will make plays for this team! Accept it and keep your ARE jersey's handy!

steelcitysfinestXL
08-22-2011, 12:37 PM
man now just think about pryor and heath making sweet magic on turf.

lol

You laugh but i'd love to see it, and im not even a Pryor fan... just hard to argue with a dude the size of Big Ben whp runs a 4.31-40!!!

K Train
08-22-2011, 12:39 PM
i laugh but im DEAD serious on this. pryor puts me in draft nerd heaven today if hes a steeler

Black@Gold Forever32
08-22-2011, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't mind Pryor at all but I don't want to see them use more then a 5th...I would be alright with a 4th......But honestly anything higher wouldn't make sense.......

K Train
08-22-2011, 12:41 PM
3rd for me, they pick at the end of the round so a 4th wont do it...i expect the majority of teams to big a 4th, if they want him they might have to use a 3rd and im 100% ok with that esepcially since its confirmed he would change positions

steelcitysfinestXL
08-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Good point! I originally said 4th but thats the 31st pick in the fourth, hell Denver traded their soul for Tim Tebow in the 1st... so id be happy with a third as well.

Rampage
08-22-2011, 01:20 PM
The WR corps looks very balanced right now: Ward and Cotchery are both good veterans to have around and Wallace, Brown and Sanders all offer speed and hands. If the o-line blocks well this year, I think the offense could be one of the more productive incarnations we've seen in recent history.

LarryNJ
08-22-2011, 01:26 PM
No doubt barring injury to Ben that this will be a huge season thru the air. We have the best receiving corp with the Saints coming in second.

Rampage
08-22-2011, 01:31 PM
No doubt barring injury to Ben that this will be a huge season thru the air. We have the best receiving corp with the Saints coming in second.

What about Green Bay and Philadelphia? Shouldn't they be tied for the #1 WR corps?

STEELyourface
08-22-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't know about the best or most explosive but I've been saying since the Cotchery signing we are now the deepest in the league at the very least. I'm not sure we can claim best yet, we could be the best but its hard to say that at this point in time. I got killed last week for saying Cotchery was going to be productive and after 1 preseason game we're the best in the league?? Let's get a few weeks into the season first, but yes, we are deep and the potential is through the roof, that's for sure.

Oh and Pryor, well the Bengals are seriously considering him! Doesn't that say all we need to know about the subject??

steelersbabex25
08-22-2011, 02:20 PM
holmes would make it legendary :-(

I was really happy and then this made me really sad..:crying:

Diehardsteel
08-22-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure we have the most explosive WR's either but we have some of the most Dependable guys in the league. By far. Is Cotchery going to be the 3rd WR behind Wallace and Ward? I really think he brings a ton to the team but that might be a hard position to lock down with Antonio Brown behind him. He's young but gets better every game.

steelersbabex25
08-22-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure we have the most explosive WR's either but we have some of the most Dependable guys in the league. By far. Is Cotchery going to be the 3rd WR behind Wallace and Ward? I really think he brings a ton to the team but that might be a hard position to lock down with Antonio Brown behind him. He's young but gets better every game.

Why is nobody including Sanders in the 3rd WR debate? He got just as much if not more PT than Brown last season and proved himself again just as much if not more than Brown. He's not on IR anything. He will be back for the first game. Don't count him out.

K Train
08-22-2011, 02:31 PM
i think when hes 100% he and brown will split time evenly, or close to it...really i think whoever the #3 is, is gonna be more like a #2 production wise

Black@Gold Forever32
08-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Both Sanders and Brown will make plenty of plays for this team this season.....I'm not counting Sanders out at all.......Brown I think will have the early inside track at more playing time since Sanders has been still recovering from 3 surgeries.......

LatrobePA
08-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Brown just seems to have it...Jerricho seems to have that clutch game winning grab to him, Wallace is who he is, Ward will always find ways to get his slow *** open...

I'm excited to see what happens..

STEELyourface
08-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Ya, Brown has the inside track but I don't think anyone is counting Sanders out.

harpo
08-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Nothing personal against Sanders, but he will have to take a back seat to Antonio Brown. :)

steelersbabex25
08-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Seems like a ton of people are forgetting about Sanders. I've heard a lot of Ward, Wallace, Brown, and Cotchery with no Sanders included in there.

MattyVfromCT
08-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Brown just seems to have it...Jerricho seems to have that clutch game winning grab to him, Wallace is who he is, Ward will always find ways to get his slow *** open...

I'm excited to see what happens..

Thing I love about brown is he seizes the moment in a big spot. That catch against Bmore was HUGE in a big pressure spot and even though the jets catch to seal the win wasn't much yardage wise, he seized the moment and made the catch unlike a certain lanky dude we just sent packing who couldn't catch a cold during flu season. So far he seems to have the right mental makeup to make it in this league. Doesn't let the pressure get to him despite being so young

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Diehardsteel
08-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Hey, I like both of the young WR's. Real talent we have at the WR position. I just really like what I see from brown. Him catching that bomb against Baltimore might have a little to do with that edge. :greengrin:

steelersbabex25
08-22-2011, 02:43 PM
I think the against the helmet catch against the Ravens made us all go..who the hell is this guy?!

Black@Gold Forever32
08-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Seems like a ton of people are forgetting about Sanders. I've heard a lot of Ward, Wallace, Brown, and Cotchery with no Sanders included in there.

I like both Sanders and Brown.....Reason there isn't much talk about Sanders is he is still recovering from multi surgeries.......Really the emergence of Brown and the signing of Cotchery is a good thing for Sanders when you think about it.....It will allow for him to be get fully healthy and not be rushed back into playing.......Come 2nd half of the season he will be fresher and ready to go......I'm not counting on him out come week 1 but at this point I rather see him just continue to take it slow so he can be 100% healthy......

--- Added 8/22/2011 at 12:48 PM ---

I think the against the helmet catch against the Ravens made us all go..who the hell is this guy?!

Antonio Brown caught a ton of balls in college just like Sanders......I'm not shocked at all when it comes to Sanders or Brown....Plus Brown does have a swagger and he feels that he should have went much higher then the 6th round of the 2010 draft....

I really don't care who is better of the two since both will be damn good for this team......

steelersbabex25
08-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Antonio Brown caught a ton of balls in college just like Sanders......I'm not shocked at all when it comes to Sanders or Brown....Plus Brown does have a swagger and he feels that he should have went much higher then the 6th round of the 2010 draft....

I really don't care who is better of the two since both will be damn good for this team......

Obviously he had a good college career, but if my mind serves me correctly him and Sanders both had very minimal playing time early in the season as they were both after Randel El (:barf:). Even people who do well in college can have ****** NFL careers. For me, seeing him produce in the biggest games at the biggest times really made him stand out to me as a rookie. Same with Sanders.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Obviously he had a good college career, but if my mind serves me correctly him and Sanders both had very minimal playing time early in the season as they were both after Randel El (:barf:). Even people who do well in college can have ****** NFL careers. For me, seeing him produce in the biggest games at the biggest times really made him stand out to me as a rookie. Same with Sanders.

Well if you remember posts from last year that I and a few others were screaming for both Sanders and Brown to play a ton early on especially over El......My point about college was that most teams in college run a pro style offense these days and these WR's catch a ton of passes and run NFL style routes so its not as shocking if these young WR's produce early on or in big moments.....Sure for every WR that has success there is a Limas Sweed.......But both Sanders/Brown seemed to have it upstairs as well were Sweed can never get his head right.....

steelersbabex25
08-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Well if you remember posts from last year that I and along for a few others were screaming for both Sanders and Brown to play a ton early on especially over El......My point about college was that most teams in college run a pro style offense these days and these WR's catch a ton of passes and run NFL style routes so its not as shocking if these young WR's produce early on or in big moments.....Sure for every WR that has success there is a Limas Sweed.......But both Sanders/Brown seemed to have it upstairs as well were Sweed can never get his head right.....

I'm not gonna to lie, I don't really pay much attention to college football...:lol:

TampaSteelGirl
08-22-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm not gonna to lie, I don't really pay much attention to college football...:lol:

Me either girl...an occasional Penn State game when I can. :lol:

steelersbabex25
08-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Me either girl...an occasional Penn State game when I can. :lol:

Same with me except UMD..:lol:

STEELyourface
08-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Uh, yes Sanders and Brown both caught a ton of passes in college.
Yes, they are both proving they can do it at the next level.

Sanders went to Southern Methodist
Brown went to Central Michigan

Neither run anything close to a NFL pro-style offense.

Central Michigan ran the spread offense under Butch Jones who is now at Cincinnati and June Jones runs that crazy run and shoot offense that he brought with him from Hawaii.

Neither is anything like a pro-style offense. Sorry not trying to be rude, but saying they were in a pro-style offense is inaccurate. In fact, very few colleges run a pro-style offense. It is slowly returning to the college game but is few and far between. The spread has been king in college for years and was/is the topic of numerous articles regarding evaluating talent for the draft for the past several years.

LarryNJ
08-22-2011, 04:45 PM
What about Green Bay and Philadelphia? Shouldn't they be tied for the #1 WR corps?

Green Bay yes, Eagles no. Jackson is top notch, Maclin is good...Moss has done nothing, Avant is a decent #4, Higgins??? no thanks

Thisoneguy555
08-22-2011, 07:46 PM
I don't think Sanders or Brown's college career should come into play, we've seen them play in the NFL and there should be enough to give a judgement of their performance. Brown and Sanders both seem to have all the potential in the world, lets just hope they keep up the hard work.

andyg1984
08-22-2011, 08:50 PM
imo i really see them (brown and sanders) as ahead of schedule vs. having big upside ... dnt get me wrong, i obviously like them and think they are legit WRs .. but i think any success is going to be more ben than us having an elite WR core ..

i think we can all agree tho that if ben comes out and has a pro-bowl season the media will say it is because of our WRs ..

STEELyourface
08-22-2011, 09:14 PM
imo i really see them (brown and sanders) as ahead of schedule vs. having big upside ... dnt get me wrong, i obviously like them and think they are legit WRs .. but i think any success is going to be more ben than us having an elite WR core ..

i think we can all agree tho that if ben comes out and has a pro-bowl season the media will say it is because of our WRs ..

I think they are ahead of the curve for sure but they still have a lot of areas for improvement to become complete receivers. I'm really happy with what they have shown us so far and think they will continue to get better. Can't it be both? Great play from Ben and have a good group of receivers?

--- Added 8/22/2011 at 07:14 PM ---

I don't think Sanders or Brown's college career should come into play, we've seen them play in the NFL and there should be enough to give a judgement of their performance. Brown and Sanders both seem to have all the potential in the world, lets just hope they keep up the hard work.

I wasn't personally factoring in anything from their college careers. Someone had just said that they had come from colleges that ran pro-style offenses and I was showing where they hadn't.

connecticutsteel
08-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Ben is key but the bottom line is you still have to catch the ball i saw ben hit a guy right in the sweet spot for a touchdown against the bengals and he dropped it This group of WR is as good as any in the league add in Saunders ,Miller,MEMOand mendy and it's over the top

andyg1984
08-22-2011, 11:42 PM
all im saying is how good can they really be? at the end of the day they are both WR2s on their best day and dont have their jobs 100% locked down for their next contract.. maybe im just too much of a holmes homer ..

STEELyourface
08-23-2011, 12:42 AM
all im saying is how good can they really be? at the end of the day they are both WR2s on their best day and dont have their jobs 100% locked down for their next contract.. maybe im just too much of a holmes homer ..

They both signed the standard rookie wide receiver contract, both 3 year deals: Brown for about $1.3 and Sanders for about $1.8. They've got all of this and next season to establish how much they'll be worth in their 2nd contract. That is pretty standard. As receivers go its almost always into the 3rd year before you see full potential either way.
I'd say if the growth we saw from the beginning to end of their rookie season is any indicator of what is to come they will both grow exponentially this year, of course, Sanders has to recover from surgery but we now have the depth to allow him the time to rehab accordingly w/o having to rush back.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-23-2011, 01:11 AM
They are both still raw, and need to continue to improve. They've proven so far that they have what it takes. This is a big year for both of them. I fully expect both to step up this year, no reason to believe they won't. Brown has already shown that he has the dedication, desire, and attitude to succeed.

From BRC's DroidX of Awesomeness

Black@Gold Forever32
08-23-2011, 01:50 AM
Uh, yes Sanders and Brown both caught a ton of passes in college.
Yes, they are both proving they can do it at the next level.

Sanders went to Southern Methodist
Brown went to Central Michigan

Neither run anything close to a NFL pro-style offense.

Central Michigan ran the spread offense under Butch Jones who is now at Cincinnati and June Jones runs that crazy run and shoot offense that he brought with him from Hawaii.

Neither is anything like a pro-style offense. Sorry not trying to be rude, but saying they were in a pro-style offense is inaccurate. In fact, very few colleges run a pro-style offense. It is slowly returning to the college game but is few and far between. The spread has been king in college for years and was/is the topic of numerous articles regarding evaluating talent for the draft for the past several years.

Teams across the NFL run the spread offense....Its not their base offense but NFL teams run a spread offenses at times....If you really believe that elements of the run shoot are not alive today in the NFL then you're mistaken....Of course teams don't run a run a shoot offense as their base but some elements remain of the run and shoot......

All I'm saying colleges are preparing these WR's better for the NFL then say 20 years ago and that is why you're seeing more rookie WR's have some kind of impacts for their teams.....The offenses they play under college may not be entirely a pro style offense but is some instances its pretty close.....Sanders was a pretty polished route runner for a rookie......

STEELyourface
08-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Teams across the NFL run the spread offense....Its not their base offense but NFL teams run a spread offenses at times....If you really believe that elements of the run shoot are not alive today in the NFL then you're mistaken....Of course teams don't run a run a shoot offense as their base but some elements remain of the run and shoot......

All I'm saying colleges are preparing these WR's better for the NFL then say 20 years ago and that is why you're seeing more rookie WR's have some kind of impacts for their teams.....The offenses they play under college may not be entirely a pro style offense but is some instances its pretty close.....Sanders was a pretty polished route runner for a rookie......

You are correct, WRs are being asked to do more in the college game these days making many of them more developed by the time they make it to the NFL and yes there are some aspects of the run and shoot left in the NFL.

Really it is more like there are descendants of the run and shoot still lingering in the NFL. Once a scheme is introduced it never fully disappears it just gets adjusted and tweaked until you can barely recognize it from its original form. Look close enough and you can find aspects of the veer and single wing if you want to.

As for the spread, a lot of NFL teams have special packages geared towards a player or two on their roster to utilize a particular skill that is unique to them. But the spread as it exists in college does not have many correlations to the NFL (not saying it doesn't have any). If for no other reason than the location of the hash marks alone which has an extreme baring on how the various spread offenses are run at the college level.

andyg1984
08-23-2011, 10:05 AM
They both signed the standard rookie wide receiver contract, both 3 year deals: Brown for about $1.3 and Sanders for about $1.8. They've got all of this and next season to establish how much they'll be worth in their 2nd contract. That is pretty standard. As receivers go its almost always into the 3rd year before you see full potential either way.
I'd say if the growth we saw from the beginning to end of their rookie season is any indicator of what is to come they will both grow exponentially this year, of course, Sanders has to recover from surgery but we now have the depth to allow him the time to rehab accordingly w/o having to rush back.

im not sure what you are detailing their contracts for which i obviously am aware of .. the point is these guys have not earned steelers for life status ... a couple years from now they could be replaced with a good prospect out of the draft fairly easily and ben will just throw to them ..

they are ahead of schedule .. how good do you really think they can be ? to me on their best day they are mid to high end # 2s ..

STEELyourface
08-23-2011, 03:47 PM
im not sure what you are detailing their contracts for which i obviously am aware of .. the point is these guys have not earned steelers for life status ... a couple years from now they could be replaced with a good prospect out of the draft fairly easily and ben will just throw to them ..

they are ahead of schedule .. how good do you really think they can be ? to me on their best day they are mid to high end # 2s ..

My point is they still have plenty of time to prove their worth (or lack there of) before their contracts run out. No one, myself included, claimed they are or would be Steelers for life.

I think they are both going to be very good NFL receivers. I'm not suggesting we elect them to the hall of fame today, I just think they showed a good amount of progress by the end of their rookie seasons and if that trend continues we may (or not) be set at wide receiver for years to come.

I'm not really sure what your point is, to be honest. All I (and many others) have been saying is that these guys are showing some great potential. Potential being the key word.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't think anybody is really proclaiming Sanders or Brown to be the next Jerry Rice.....I just have stated that I really like both of these young WR's and that both will make plays for this team.....Of course Ben is the key buts its nice for Ben to actually have play-makers at the position unlike some years when he had Randle El and Cedric Wilson to throw to........

steelersbabex25
08-23-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't think anybody is really proclaiming Sanders or Brown to be the next Jerry Rice.....I just have stated that I really like both of these young WR's and that both will make plays for this team.....Of course Ben is the key buts its nice for Ben to actually have play-makers at the position unlike some years when he had Randle El and Cedric Wilson to throw to........

Randle El, Cedric Wilson and Nate Washington. Ahh, the dream team.

K Train
08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
if i had to compare them to great WRs i would say sanders compares favorably to torry holt and brown to wes welker

andyg1984
08-23-2011, 09:57 PM
My point is they still have plenty of time to prove their worth (or lack there of) before their contracts run out. No one, myself included, claimed they are or would be Steelers for life.

I think they are both going to be very good NFL receivers. I'm not suggesting we elect them to the hall of fame today, I just think they showed a good amount of progress by the end of their rookie seasons and if that trend continues we may (or not) be set at wide receiver for years to come.

I'm not really sure what your point is, to be honest. All I (and many others) have been saying is that these guys are showing some great potential. Potential being the key word.

just that they are ahead of schedule vs. having this high potential and will never be talented enough to be #1 WRs anywhere in the league ... more specifically, my position is that we could still easily upgrade our #2 WR position through the draft and that is not necessarily using a 1st rounder either ..

--- Added 8/23/2011 at 07:55 PM ---

in other words i think they are 2.5-3.25 vs being a 2.0 in wr terms lol ..

--- Added 8/23/2011 at 07:57 PM ---

if i had to pick i would take brown .. id love him to death as our #3 .. nothing against sanders, but brown mixes better with wallace imo

STEELyourface
08-23-2011, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=andyg1984;434075]just that they are ahead of schedule vs. having this high potential and will never be talented enough to be #1 WRs anywhere in the league ... more specifically, my position is that we could still easily upgrade our #2 WR position through the draft and that is not necessarily using a 1st rounder either ..

I don't know dude, I'm looking at the future receiving corp possibly being Wallace, Brown, and Sanders and that looks pretty good to me. Those guys still have 2 seasons to develop into the receivers they will eventually become and if they continue to progress the way they did in their rookie seasons that is going to be a pretty good receiving corp.

Basically, it sounds like you are saying you want a team full of #1 receivers. You gotta have different guys that all do different things, ideally all complimenting each others' play.

andyg1984
08-24-2011, 12:28 AM
no, not at all .. i want a real #2 WR vs having 4 #3 WRs ... you think sanders and brown complement Wallace well? to me the ideal combo is wallace, brown and another outside guy who is a little more physical vs just another #3 slot WR

i am not asking to send these guys back .. so this is a conversation that has come up before in the "war room" because this years class is so stacked at WR .. Jeffery, Blackmon, Fuller, Floyd and Sanu (eligible) .. i was more or less trying to get that discussion going .. at the end of the day i know ben could get it done with even less, but i would not mind to see ben really get his hands on some weapons ...

but of course the blocking could be better too and if i could get upgraded OL vs WR that would be preferred on the offensive side of the ball ..

Real Deal Steel
08-24-2011, 01:34 AM
I"m going to say what I wanted to say at the end of last season:

I want Brown to take Ward's position. I know that may be Blasphamous but it's about having the best guys on the field. I love Hines but it's time. And I"m comfortable with Brown because I feel he has "it".

connecticutsteel
08-24-2011, 03:47 AM
no, not at all .. i want a real #2 WR vs having 4 #3 WRs ... you think sanders and brown complement Wallace well? to me the ideal combo is wallace, brown and another outside guy who is a little more physical vs just another #3 slot WR

i am not asking to send these guys back .. so this is a conversation that has come up before in the "war room" because this years class is so stacked at WR .. Jeffery, Blackmon, Fuller, Floyd and Sanu (eligible) .. i was more or less trying to get that discussion going .. at the end of the day i know ben could get it done with even less, but i would not mind to see ben really get his hands on some weapons ...

but of course the blocking could be better too and if i could get upgraded OL vs WR that would be preferred on the offensive side of the ball ..

Blackmon,Fuller,floyd and sanu we have zero chance to get any of them toon maybe but not likely we are fine at WR look what Marino did with smaller recievers . I know Ben isn't Marino but he's good enough to win multiple super bowls with the recievers we have right now

Black@Gold Forever32
08-24-2011, 05:21 AM
I wouldn't look for the Steelers to draft a WR in the first anyway unless if a WR is the best player available......Steelers biggest needs heading into next year will be OG, NT, DB.......I wouldn't be against a WR since I'm in the mindset you can never have enough weapons for your QB.....But I bet NT or a DB will be targeted in the first next year.....Or a top OL say a OT or OG fell to them late.......Not many OG's are drafted in the first round but there is exceptions......

Callax
08-24-2011, 08:42 AM
You laugh but i'd love to see it, and im not even a Pryor fan... just hard to argue with a dude the size of Big Ben whp runs a 4.31-40!!!

If Pryor ran a 4.31, I'd draft him and put him as a WR/TE
He RAN a 4.31????? check that stop watch.....

andyg1984
08-24-2011, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't look for the Steelers to draft a WR in the first anyway unless if a WR is the best player available......Steelers biggest needs heading into next year will be OG, NT, DB.......I wouldn't be against a WR since I'm in the mindset you can never have enough weapons for your QB.....But I bet NT or a DB will be targeted in the first next year.....Or a top OL say a OT or OG fell to them late.......Not many OG's are drafted in the first round but there is exceptions......

i would not expect WR round 1 either ..but then again im convinced they are confident in their ability to find DBs in the 3rd-5th round for whatever reason .. if gilbert turns out solid i dnt see them taking an OL round 1 .. going to have to see how the class of FS turns out .. Sly needs to step up this year because there are solid ILBs too .. i aklready cant wait .. lol ..

--- Added 8/24/2011 at 08:22 AM ---

Blackmon,Fuller,floyd and sanu we have zero chance to get any of them toon maybe but not likely we are fine at WR look what Marino did with smaller recievers . I know Ben isn't Marino but he's good enough to win multiple super bowls with the recievers we have right now

like i said i think ben can get it done with less and id rather see a better OL, but one of those guys could easily be on the board (sanu, floyd) .. not sure if we bring floyd in but a guy can dream here and there ..

Blazedby92
08-24-2011, 10:30 AM
if i had to compare them to great WRs i would say sanders compares favorably to torry holt and brown to wes welker

You didn't use the term poor man's wes welker or does he have to be white to be called that, HA HA

I say no way they compare individually to any top ten WR YET, they are coming into their own though as a whole. YMF

K Train
08-24-2011, 10:48 AM
You didn't use the term poor man's wes welker or does he have to be white to be called that, HA HA

I say no way they compare individually to any top ten WR YET, they are coming into their own though as a whole. YMF

yeah every white WR is the next wes welker guaranteed, really i think the closest player to wes welker ive graded out was davone bess when he was coming out of hawaii.

its a slot WR thats beefy enough to play outside, more quick than fast, and the biggest thing is being fearless that separates welker from other slot/possesion guys, he never even flinches

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-24-2011, 11:59 AM
A lot of cookies in the cookie jar is a good thing.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-25-2011, 03:48 PM

With any luck they won't need a Guard next year if Hills pans out. NT and DB, yeah I can see that depending on how things work out with these rookies and young guys at CB now. Plus at Safety, maybe they start to look for Troy's replacement in the next couple years.

I wouldn't see them taking a WR in the first round either, even if it was a big need for them. They've proven you can get guys in the 2nd, 3rd, and later rounds that are very productive.

So I think we're all pretty much in agreement that Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, and Cotchery makes the team this year. That leaves potentially 1 spot left for a host of players all fighting for it. Grisham maybe still gets a nod.

andyg1984
08-25-2011, 04:30 PM
we have also taken plax and holmes with 1st rounders .. cant always count on landing mike wallace in the 3rd .. that is not a reason to pass on BPA if that were to be the case ..

Black@Gold Forever32
08-25-2011, 04:35 PM
With any luck they won't need a Guard next year if Hills pans out. NT and DB, yeah I can see that depending on how things work out with these rookies and young guys at CB now. Plus at Safety, maybe they start to look for Troy's replacement in the next couple years.

I wouldn't see them taking a WR in the first round either, even if it was a big need for them. They've proven you can get guys in the 2nd, 3rd, and later rounds that are very productive.

So I think we're all pretty much in agreement that Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, and Cotchery makes the team this year. That leaves potentially 1 spot left for a host of players all fighting for it. Grisham maybe still gets a nod.

Even if Hills pans out then I still see OG as a need....Would love for the Steelers to replace Kemoeatu.......I think NT, DB are a bigger need no doubt....I would never say the Steelers won't draft a WR in the first round of course its not a huge need but if a top WR fall to them when they draft and if a WR is the best player available then I could see the Steelers drafting....This team currently really doesn't have a ton of holes and they do have the luxury to draft best player available....I would say an OLB might be a need for one reason if Worilds doesn't show much improvement....I know Chris Carter is a young player with some potential but you know Matt, that you can never have enough pass rushing OLB propsects......

BlitzburghRockCity
08-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Kemo has been in the league 7 or 8 years now, he's still got several good years left in him for sure. Assuming he stays healthy and keeps the bonehead personal foul plays to a minimum I think they'll be quite happy with him on the left and Hills on the right. Don't forget, Chris is a great pulling Guard with pretty quick feet for a big guy, he's come a long way. Another year of working with Pouncey at Center is going to really help solidify that interior part of the line.

The fact that he's also played beside multiple LT"s for the last few years doesn't help either. I would love to see those interior 3 and Colon be the go to group for a long time.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I don't know Matt, I'm just not a fan of Kemoeatu and I think the Steelers can do better....Kemo is the dumbest OL in the NFL and he just drives me nuts.......

MattyVfromCT
08-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't know Matt, I'm just not a fan of Kemoeatu and I think the Steelers can do better....Kemo is the dumbest OL in the NFL and he just drives me nuts.......

His pass protection is atrocious. That first pick 6 in the super bowl was all on him. He got eaten alive on that play

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

connecticutsteel
08-27-2011, 02:48 PM
I might take mcCrae over Grisham because he's 6'3"

BlitzburghRockCity
09-01-2011, 09:28 AM
In his 14th season with the team that drafted him in the third round in 1998, Hines Ward knows he is not going to play many more seasons. But, when he leaves, the club's all-time leading receiver knows his position will be in good hands, literally and figuratively.

That's because the Steelers might have the best trio of young receivers in the NFL.
"It's a real sign the future of the wideouts that we have," Ward said. "We didn't go out and draft any guys because we're comfortable with the young guys we have. When I do leave, we'll be in good hands. They're very talented."
And they are very different.

Mike Wallace, who enters his third season, already is one of the league's top deep threats with his sprinter's speed.

Emmanuel Sanders, a No. 3 pick in 2010, might be the best route-runner on the team and reads defenses as well as the coaching staff.

And Antonio Brown has spent the preseason showing off his big-play ability and turning his mistakes into touchdowns.

The Steelers have to go back to 2000 when they had Ward, Plaxico Burress and Troy Edwards to find a more talented trio of young receivers on their roster.
"They can be special," said safety Ryan Clark, who has to cover them in practice. "The good thing about them is they have three different skill sets. Each of them is very talented, but they're all so different. And what makes them a strong trio is that they're not like the trio Green Bay would have.

"Green Bay has kind of the same guy, different numbers. Whereas, with these guys, you're able to line them all over the field in different spots and you have to try to stop them all."

Just like Ward, who needs 46 catches to become only the eighth player in NFL history to have 1,000 career receptions, the Steelers found all three in the third round or later.

Throw in newcomer Jerricho Cotchery, a fourth-round pick of the New York Jets in 2004, and the Steelers have the potential to have maybe the deepest corps of receivers in the league without a No. 1 draft pick among them.
"You don't always have to find players in the first round," said Wallace, a third-round pick. "Look at Hines."

And, sometimes, you find them in the sixth round, such as Brown.
Sanders and Brown did not compile prolific numbers as rookies, combining for 44 catches, 543 yards and 2 touchdowns. But, with Sanders' precise route-running and assimilation of the offense and Brown's penchant for big plays -- especially after his performance last week against the Atlanta Falcons -- the Steelers merely are waiting for each to have breakout seasons.

Couple that with Wallace, who had a team-high 1,257 yards and 10 touchdowns and led the AFC with a 21-yard average in 2010, and the Steelers have the nucleus of a talented and diverse receiving trio, none of whom have been in the league longer than three years.

"Those guys are great players," Wallace said. "Coming in, they were much better route-runners than I was. I was really raw. Those guys could really run routes already, especially Sanders. [Brown] was probably more explosive, but they were kind of a mixed-and-match set. The sky is the limit for them."

Sanders missed nearly all training camp at Saint Vincent College and has not played in the preseason because his surgically repaired left foot was slow to heal. But, he returned to full practice this week and is expected to play, barring a setback, in the preseason finale tonight at Carolina.

Asked to evaluate the young receivers, Ward gave the following assessment:
Wallace: "He has that one thing you can't teach -- speed. But I want Mike to become an all-around receiver, not just the speed, the deep guy. You can be an explosive wide receiver by catching curls catching digs, things like that."

Sanders: "He's probably more polished than all of them. He has the understanding of the offense. He could play inside and outside. The slot guy is the quarterback of the wideouts."

Brown: "A.B. has that dog in him, that mentality, I see him playing with that chip on his shoulders. He's always trying to prove to someone he can play. He plays with a little more anger. I really like working with him."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11244/1171290-66-0.stm#ixzz1WhfCEYGb)

Black@Gold Forever32
09-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Sanders seems to be a very good student of the game and to along with his talent will allow to be a very NFL WR.....I can't wait until he is 100% healthy so he can be on the field with both Wallace/Brown......You can't cover all three and factor in Ward/Cotchery.....The Steelers offense should be able to exploit defenses all season.....Its going to be a fun season.....

Real Deal Steel
09-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Sanders seems to be a very good student of the game and to along with his talent will allow to be a very NFL WR.....I can't wait until he is 100% healthy so he can be on the field with both Wallace/Brown......You can't cover all three and factor in Ward/Cotchery.....The Steelers offense should be able to exploit defenses all season.....Its going to be a fun season.....

I agree totally. And with no safety in the box, when Mendy comes out of there, he should be in the secondary before you know it. But..what I saw from him last year was a little too much dancing instead of going straight ahead. I expect better this year.

IronCity6Pak
09-02-2011, 10:55 AM
We have one of the most dangerous offenses in the NFL. Only reason it's not mentioned so much is the lack of experience. just watch how quick that changes as the season get under way. I don't care who u have on protection "eagles dream team" cannot and will not cover these versatile receivers.

Rampage
09-02-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm happy to hear that Sanders got right back into the swing of things. Hopefully the team considers a lot more intermediate, dink-dunk passing this year. With guys like Sanders and Brown, you have to think the team has the right personnel to do the quick slants letting the receivers do most of the work. Might bail out the o-line and keep defenses honest, too.

LatrobePA
09-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Scary...

STEELyourface
09-02-2011, 01:23 PM
We have one of the most dangerous offenses in the NFL. Only reason it's not mentioned so much is the lack of experience. just watch how quick that changes as the season get under way. I don't care who u have on protection "eagles dream team" cannot and will not cover these versatile receivers.

:plus1: YEEYYAAAH!

Stairwayto7
09-02-2011, 03:27 PM
I know we are right up there with the best. Thats what makes this season so exciting. I think we should be able to stretch any defense.