PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the #2 Tight End

connecticutsteel
08-22-2011, 03:36 AM
I was hoping Wes Saunders would be the #2 but right now there is no clear cut favorite .John Gilmore doesn't impress me David Johnson is in fullback mode .Miguel Chavis is a converted lineman that weighs over 310 . I guess we will have to wait and see

LatrobePA
08-22-2011, 08:57 AM
This is a problem area IMO! Who backs Heath up???

BlitzburghRockCity
08-22-2011, 09:39 AM
David Johnson is still the odds on favorite to be the 2nd backup to Heath. He can block and has ok hands. After that though it's a crap shoot to see who gets the 3rd spot. I'd like to see Saunders get it too but he's been ok so far, not overly impressive. Gilmore still has a shot too.

3rd TE doesn't have to be the greatest person in the world either, they can afford to bring in a bit of a project if they feel like the upside is worth it.

coldrolled
08-22-2011, 10:11 AM
David Johnson is still the odds on favorite to be the 2nd backup to Heath. He can block and has ok hands. After that though it's a crap shoot to see who gets the 3rd spot. I'd like to see Saunders get it too but he's been ok so far, not overly impressive. Gilmore still has a shot too.

3rd TE doesn't have to be the greatest person in the world either, they can afford to bring in a bit of a project if they feel like the upside is worth it.

if you really watch the replays and keep an eye on 85. he misses his blocks 50% of the time and especially on screens and pass protection for ben... hes actually better going into the line as a blocking FB, at least he looks better, but is it the right hole that he hits? :thinking:

LatrobePA
08-22-2011, 10:17 AM
if you really watch the replays and keep an eye on 85. he misses his blocks 50% of the time and especially on screens and pass protection for ben... hes actually better going into the line as a blocking FB, at least he looks better, but is it the right hole that he hits? :thinking:

I have to agree, I don't think he's even OK...I'd be concerned if Heath went down!

connecticutsteel
08-22-2011, 10:56 AM
I think it is rare that you find an end that came do both blocking and recieveing well . It's one or the other i would say i think Saunders has the best hands

K Train
08-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Pryor

:-)

steelcitysfinestXL
08-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Pryor

:-)

^This^ :clap:

Katmandu
08-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Pryor

:-)Yea, but is he willing and capable of BLOCKING ?

Sorry, I don't see him doing plow horse duty too enthusiastically.

K Train
08-22-2011, 12:57 PM
he wont be a dominant blocker, but thats not the role hed play....im sure hed throw blocks when he had too, TE is a loose term for what pryor would do...hed be used as a finley/clark type receiver and realistically hes way more of an athletic nightmare than those 2.

hed be probably the same ****** blocker spaeth was, but pryor alone replaces Dixon, Spath, and sweed with one player.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Good point on Spaeth....He wasn't a great blocker at all.........I'm getting more excited about the thought of Pryor....You know my saying you can never have enough weapons for your QB so I'm all for the Steelers adding to the offensive side of the ball....I want to see this team score 30+ point consistently and just blow out teams.....That would help the D greatly especially since they're old on defense....lol

Thisoneguy555
08-22-2011, 03:33 PM
The thing with the Steelers is that they don't have any dominant run blocking tight ends. When Heath was drafted, he was a fantastic playmaker tight end, he caught a lot of passes and took advantages of zone defenses, but he wasn't a dominant run blocker. He was drafted to just be a decent run blocker, but his main role was to pass catch short passes and exploit zone coverage. (he's also an excellent pass blocker). But in short, his run blocking on the NFL level is average for a tight end.

David Johnson is an average NFL tight end, he's balanced, he doesn't excel in blocking or receiving, but can do both to the standard.
That Saunders kid looked like he is a good pass catching tight end, but I didn't really see if he was a good blocker or not. If Heath goes down, I can see Johnson getting the start over Saunders just because he knows the system better.

Pryor is officially with the Raiders.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-23-2011, 02:22 AM
The thing with the Steelers is that they don't have any dominant run blocking tight ends. When Heath was drafted, he was a fantastic playmaker tight end, he caught a lot of passes and took advantages of zone defenses, but he wasn't a dominant run blocker. He was drafted to just be a decent run blocker, but his main role was to pass catch short passes and exploit zone coverage. (he's also an excellent pass blocker). But in short, his run blocking on the NFL level is average for a tight end.

David Johnson is an average NFL tight end, he's balanced, he doesn't excel in blocking or receiving, but can do both to the standard.
That Saunders kid looked like he is a good pass catching tight end, but I didn't really see if he was a good blocker or not. If Heath goes down, I can see Johnson getting the start over Saunders just because he knows the system better.

Heath is a pretty good blocker. Definitely not on the level of Daniel Graham or Alge Crumpler in their good days, but he's above-average, at least.

David Johnson is a very good blocker when he lines up at the FB position. At TE, not so much. He doesn't have ideal size (6'2 and 260, I think), but he's solid. I'm pretty confident he'll be our #2.

Weslye Saunders has the potential to be a very talented TE for us, but he's incredibly raw right now. He's got great physical tools, great size, but isn't there just yet. He'll probably make the roster because we always carry a #3 TE and don't really have anyone else, but I'd like to see him more involved in the passing game.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-23-2011, 02:41 AM

Wow I'm not alone with my thoughts on Heath Miller....I have been saying for years he is vastly over-rated as a blocker....There is times when he is a beast but not on a consistent level.....

K Train
08-23-2011, 10:58 AM
i dont think heath is a great blocker..his rookie year he blocked like a monster, and when he came back from his concussion he was really throwing out some monster blocks, the man was PISSED.

he is good, but not great...as a receiver though he just shows the other guys how its done

connecticutsteel
08-23-2011, 12:28 PM
That's the point we need one awesome blocking TE who can catch if need be and Heath miller

andyg1984
08-23-2011, 01:07 PM

at the mid to end of last season Johnson was wrecking people right and left .. you have to be talking about him during the preseason as a TE and not last year as a FB ??

coldrolled
08-23-2011, 02:25 PM
at the mid to end of last season Johnson was wrecking people right and left .. you have to be talking about him during the preseason as a TE and not last year as a FB ??

hes on the **** list after missing the block in the SB and lettting mendy get drilled and fumble.

then in preseaon he let two LB's kill leftwich, and he misses bloacks as a TE ..

As a FB he seems to do better. i dont like the dude. we can do better.

chisteeler
08-23-2011, 02:36 PM
I would stop using Johnson as a fullback and have him concentrate and work on his blocking fron the TE position. I would rather have Legursky assume the role of the FB in situations where we use the FB, that is if he is not on the OL at the time. Have Johnson share reps in practice at the FB position to keep him familiar, but give the job to Legs. Besides, I like the thought of an extra lineman in the backfield to protect the blindside.

Thisoneguy555
08-24-2011, 03:51 AM
Heath is a pretty good blocker. Definitely not on the level of Daniel Graham or Alge Crumpler in their good days, but he's above-average, at least.

David Johnson is a very good blocker when he lines up at the FB position. At TE, not so much. He doesn't have ideal size (6'2 and 260, I think), but he's solid. I'm pretty confident he'll be our #2.

Weslye Saunders has the potential to be a very talented TE for us, but he's incredibly raw right now. He's got great physical tools, great size, but isn't there just yet. He'll probably make the roster because we always carry a #3 TE and don't really have anyone else, but I'd like to see him more involved in the passing game.

If you watch other tight ends, I say he's about average, which is still good, because the average tight end is still a good run blocker, but not dominant.

Remember Mark Bruener? That dude was dominant. He run blocked as well, if not better than many offensive linemen. But with a guy like Arians running the offense, I doubt he'd ever want to deal with a run blocking tight end, he wants guys who can do both. Johnson can do both, even though his skill level is way below Heath's, he's still a dual threat that defenses can't just ignore. I'd like to see Saunders more, he looks like he has a lot of skill. It would be great to have a dual tight end threat like New England had last year. 2 tight ends that are great pass catchers and can still block very well.