PDA

View Full Version : Is this the end for Aaron Smith?

connecticutsteel
08-20-2011, 02:25 AM
I didn't see him in the Eagles game . His knee was swollen after the Redskin game this isn't good for him being injured again plus they could save some money by cutting him and use it to take care of troy and timmons

Black@Gold Forever32
08-20-2011, 02:29 AM
I believe Smith is in the final year of his contract anyway....I might be wrong but I thought I read that in a article.......Might as well let him finish out his contract if that is the case....No reason to play Aaron Smith much in the preseason......We know when healthy what he can do and really I think he still can contribute even in a reduce role this year.......

harpo
08-20-2011, 07:01 AM
Cut him and develop the young guys (Hood and Heyward). This team needs to get younger, especially on defense.

coldrolled
08-20-2011, 07:42 AM
I believe Smith is in the final year of his contract anyway....I might be wrong but I thought I read that in a article.......Might as well let him finish out his contract if that is the case....No reason to play Aaron Smith much in the preseason......We know when healthy what he can do and really I think he still can contribute even in a reduce role this year.......

we need him game one to stop leach/rice/williams. flacco sucks.

cmerrifield
08-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Smith works with the young guys and helps them in practice all the time. Cutting him wouldnt make any sense, unless we need the cap room, but they havent even contacted him for a pay cut as of the beginning of camp. He is fine, Smith is a guy that doesnt need camp or preseason. They are probably just letting him rest.

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-20-2011, 10:26 AM
He is a vet who doesn't need preseason games to prove himself,he is a known commodity. The swelling in knee was probably just out out there as an excuse,I mean what other player isn't experiencing some swelling now that they are back to camp...Is it the beginning of the end,probably but I would be majorly surprised if he isn't on opening day roster....

BlitzburghRockCity
08-20-2011, 10:40 AM
He played last week while the starters were in there. Tomlin lets veterans rest during the preseason periodically, especially ones coming off injury like Smith and Ward. No reason to make Aaron play all those snaps in meaningless games. A lot of players get swollen knees in camp and preseason; it's pretty typical.

The Steelers aren't going to cut Smith heading into the new season, unless they really had too for cap reasons. They are tight against the cap like always but they can afford him. No reason to cut him this year, let him finish out the last year of his deal and then retire. Hood knows his time is coming and having a guy like Smith on the roster to help the DL is always a good thing.

The rotation of Keisel, Hampton, Smith, Hood, Heyward, and then whichever backup NT makes the roster will be as solid a unit as Dick Lebeau has had in a long time. When healthy, Smith is still very effective, proving as much last year early in the season before his latest arm injury forced him out. My money would still be on Chris Hoke to back up Hampton this year again.

andyg1984
08-20-2011, 11:57 AM
the team has found ways to play around his absence...we made it to the superbowl without him ... imo he will end up to be an overpriced luxury and is by no means essential ..

Farrior Fan
08-20-2011, 12:11 PM
We are stacked on the Dline...for now. I really do hope that Aaron can stay healthy because our depth will be awesome. Hoke has to be the man to backup Casey, he played really well last year. But next year we have to address NT and S in the draft.

SteelerCountry58
08-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Man,some of you guys are ready to throw Smith under the bus
and back it over him a couple times. Smith was and is still a vital
component to this current D line. He has done so much for this
team over the years,you don't just "cut" him etc... Thats B.S.!:nono:

The team is working in the younger guys at a good pace.
Just let it ride and leave Aaron alone. We'll see what happens
good or bad but Aaron bleeds black and gold and he should leave
on his terms with the Rooney's blessings.:yesnod:

harpo
08-20-2011, 12:26 PM
the team has found ways to play around his absence...we made it to the superbowl without him ... imo he will end up to be an overpriced luxury and is by no means essential ..

This...:yellowthumb:

They don't really need him. It makes more sense to get younger on defense, free up cap space and make sure the younger studs are kept on this team for years to come.

This is a business. You can't allow your 'personal' feelings about the guy impede on someone else's opportunity to contribute, especially if that player is as 'injury-proned' as Smith.

I love the guy and all that he's done for the team, but it's time to move on....

jpbucco
08-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Some of you boys don't know squat about our defense. Since the DLs job is to engage as many linemen as possible to free up the LBs they wear down quickly.

The more depth we have and the more we rotate our DL the more successful they will be.

NO REASON to cut him. Especially with two youngsters in the rotation.

steelersbabex25
08-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah..everyone has pretty much already said what I was going to. No reason to cut him, no reason to play him in the preseason and let him risk another injury for games that don't matter. The Steelers will continue to sign him until he decides that he's done. If this is the last year of his contract and he wants to play another year, I can pretty much guarantee that the Steelers will keep him for another year and that he'll be glad to stay. If he decides he's done, then it's been a good run.

I can't believe people want him gone though. Injury prone or not, the guy is a beast.

harpo
08-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. MY opinion is he should be cut for the aforementioned reasons. If you don't agree, too bad. :tt02:

STEELyourface
08-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Yup, no reason to play him in preseason

No reason to cut him

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they signed him to another 1 year deal after this season either. One of you guys said it already, you gotta rotate D lineman in and out constantly so we can never really have too many.

All that being said, the begining of the end for Smith started a couple seasons ago, he's wearing down and doesn't have much time left in the league. He will prove to be useful, albeit in a much reduced role, for us in what time he has left though.

UKSTEELER
08-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Prior to his injury Smith was still making the plays and doing the do.

If healthy, no particular reason to think otherwise at the moment, he remains our best D'lineman.

Aaron is due some luck, I'm looking for him to have a very influential and injury free year.

Go Steelers
:helmet:

harpo
08-20-2011, 04:03 PM
I can't wait to see what the responses will be WHEN he gets hurt again this year. Should be interesting... :thinking:

steelersbabex25
08-20-2011, 04:12 PM
I can't wait to see what the responses will be WHEN he gets hurt again this year. Should be interesting... :thinking:

Moot point. You can't cut one of the best defensive linemen in the league because he may potentially get an injury.

STEELyourface
08-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Certainly a possibility.

harpo
08-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Moot point. You can't cut one of the best defensive linemen in the league because he may potentially get an injury.

Ummmm....yes you can. Especially when they made it to the Super Bowl in spite of him.

Will they cut him? Probably not. Should they? IMO, yes.

Certainly a possibility.

Yes sir.

steelersbabex25
08-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Ummmm....yes you can. Especially when they made it to the Super Bowl in spite of him.

Will they cut him? Probably not. Should they? IMO, yes.

No, they definitely won't cut him because that would be a dumb move.

PS. Made it to the superbowl, yes. Won the superbowl, no.

PPS. Made is to the superbowl in spite of LOSING him, not in spite of him.

nuclearchihuahuas
08-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Cut him and develop the young guys (Hood and Heyward). This team needs to get younger, especially on defense.

I think he may have one last year left in him. I feel like this year is definitely it for him though

steelchamp204
08-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Keep him if he doesnt play, I think he would be great for the young guys to learn from imho.

Nolrog
08-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Smith works with the young guys and helps them in practice all the time. Cutting him wouldnt make any sense, unless we need the cap room,

Cutting Smith would free up about 5 million from the cap (I couldn't find the exact number.) They could use that for a variety of things, including resigning Troy, or going after another player that could help.

harpo
08-20-2011, 08:12 PM
No, they definitely won't cut him because that would be a dumb move.

Once again, that's your opinion(a quite a few others, i'm sure) so it doesn't make it fact.

PS. Made it to the superbowl, yes. Won the superbowl, no.

Yes, they lost the SuperBowl but i'm sure Aaron Smith would not have thrown an interception or fumbled the ball and give Green Bay the short field. Or perhaps Aaron Smith would've caught that potential TD pass that Wallace couldn't make. Oh, that's right, Smith plays DE.

PPS. Made is to the superbowl in spite of LOSING him, not in spite of him.

Regardless if they made it to the SB in spite of him, without him, etc., the fact is they proved they can do it without him. In other words, they don't need a 'worn-out, broken-down' player that was once great at his position.

It's time to get younger on defense and phase out the old guys, especially the ones prone to injury.

I think he may have one last year left in him. I feel like this year is definitely it for him though

We'll see. I still think he'll get injured again this year.

Cutting Smith would free up about 5 million from the cap (I couldn't find the exact number.) They could use that for a variety of things, including resigning Troy, or going after another player that could help.

Exactly. The NFL is a business. When you start keeping players who can't perform like they once did because you "feel" a certain way about them, you start losing focus on what's best for the team.

coldrolled
08-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Keep him if he doesnt play, I think he would be great for the young guys to learn from imho.

Smith ,farrior and harrison give them a rest every once in a while. 6 plays a game would help the young guys. and a few more if we are winning big...

they all dont need to play every freakin down, we need to speed up the learning curve for the young guns...

and if the young guns are not working out. we can replace them faster too ... not 4 years later.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-20-2011, 11:32 PM
The problem with trying to get the young guys reps is that the Steelers play so many close games, you want your starters in the game when it counts in the 4th quarter.

Get the young guys in at linebacker early so the starters are more fresh for the stretch run. Defensive line though, you really can't help but put the backups in all game because they need to rotate especially in warm weather when the big grunts get worn out quicker.

From BRC's DroidX of Awesomeness

connecticutsteel
08-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Man,some of you guys are ready to throw Smith under the bus
and back it over him a couple times. Smith was and is still a vital
component to this current D line. He has done so much for this
team over the years,you don't just "cut" him etc... Thats B.S.!:nono:

The team is working in the younger guys at a good pace.
Just let it ride and leave Aaron alone. We'll see what happens
good or bad but Aaron bleeds black and gold and he should leave
on his terms with the Rooney's blessings.:yesnod:

Man you make it sound like i want him cut i merely raised the question

Black@Gold Forever32
08-21-2011, 02:46 AM
I still don't see why the need to cut Smith since he is in the last year of his contract anyway....Use the money to lock up Troy or Timmons.....Well the Steelers can use franchise tags and Troy is just as injury prone as Smith....I would wait and see if Troy can stay healthy all season before giving him huge coin again......Sorry if one player has earned the right to play out the last year of his contract its Aaron Smith and I'm not one of those sentimental fan types but out of respect to Aaron Smith let the man finish out his contract.....

Koopa
08-21-2011, 02:52 AM
I still don't see why the need to cut Smith since he is in the last year of his contract anyway....Use the money to lock up Troy or Timmons.....Well the Steelers can use franchise tags and Troy is just as injury prone as Smith....I would wait and see if Troy can stay healthy all season before giving him huge coin again......Sorry if one player has earned the right to play out the last year of his contract its Aaron Smith and I'm not one of those sentimental fan types but out of respect to Aaron Smith let the man finish out his contract.....

Exactly, don't see how saving the money owed this year effects signing Troy and or timmons next season..... If he can stay healthy then great more depth and he's still better then the guys backing him up, if he gets hurt no big deal same ol' same ol' we have his future replacement anyway..... And this late in preseason there isn't really anyone out there worth a damn that they can sign with his cap space if cut, the players still out there are free agents still for a reason

Deviouz1
08-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Exactly, don't see how saving the money owed this year effects signing Troy and or timmons next season..... If he can stay healthy then great more depth and he's still better then the guys backing him up, if he gets hurt no big deal same ol' same ol' we have his future replacement anyway..... And this late in preseason there isn't really anyone out there worth a damn that they can sign with his cap space if cut, the players still out there are free agents still for a reason

^ this.

and even if he does get hurt having him on the roster is like having an extra coach. the dude is good and his experience is invaluable to the younger guys and to think that just because youre a bit long in the tooth that youre all of a sudden "useless" is not only short sighted but its rather naive as well. a sure sign of not knowing how to us the tools at your disposal.

cutting him would be a bad mistake. furthermore i think they should resign him to a much smaller contract next year if he's willing to come back and continue to contribute in whatever capacity he is capable ofwhich, in my opinion, is far more than some are giving him credit for. honestly he's one of the best and most underrated linemen we've ever had. i wouldnt pitch him in with Joe Greene or anything but give the man his due and let him retire as the true steeler he is.

Lunchbucket
08-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Bottom line for me is, Aaron Smith adds more to this team than he takes away from it.The guy is still a stud when healthy and could benefit greatly with a nice rotation from our young talent.

Nolrog
08-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Get the young guys in at linebacker early so the starters are more fresh for the stretch run.

I agree. Get them some series in the 1st and 2nd quarters and keep the starters fresh for the 4th quarter. That was one of the problems a few years ago. The D wore down late in the game and played poorly.

They should play sparingly, but get some reps in, maybe 10-15 snaps a game or so.

Danger DANJ
08-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Why cut Aaron Smith? That's insane! He is still the best D-lineman on the team when healthy. Whether he is able to play 1 game this year or 19, it would be worth having him. Just because he has had some bad injuries in recent years doesn't mean his level of play has suddenly gone to hell. I guess we should cut Troy too since it's possible he will get hurt again this season and miss some games.

Dobre Shunka
08-21-2011, 07:54 PM
He's arguably one of the top 3 @ his pos in the league, even at his age, and some would cut him???

Ludicrous!

Thisoneguy555
08-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Steelers are more of a 'build through the draft' type team, but lately they've been using older players and free agency more than the draft. Probably because the 2008 draft was so bad.

Defensive linemen play up until their late 30's. Smith still has another 4 or 5 years left in him, even if they are under-par years.... Steelers can't cut him because of how big his contract is, and they'll have to spend the next couple years paying off the guaranteed money which cuts into the cap room. Because of the respect he gets from the fans, they wont trade him, he'll probably play 50% of the downs this year, and if he doesn't want to take a pay cut to be a backup for the rest of his career, Steelers will not resign him next off season and he'll most likely retire.

connecticutsteel
08-22-2011, 02:15 AM
4 or 5 years name 5 d linemen that played untill they were 40 yrs old in the last ten years

Thisoneguy555
08-22-2011, 02:59 PM
4 or 5 years name 5 d linemen that played untill they were 40 yrs old in the last ten years

I said he has 4 or 5 years left, that doesn't mean he'll actually do it. Instead of boring you with numbers, lets just say it's possible for him to do it if he didn't think about his future and how playing till he's 38 is possible but would lead to a very painful retirement.

Nolrog
08-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Exactly, don't see how saving the money owed this year effects signing Troy and or timmons next season.....

They could give Troy the money now. Increase his 2011 salary by 5 million and then drop it accordingly for the next few years.

--- Added 8/22/2011 at 05:22 PM ---

Why cut Aaron Smith? That's insane! He is still the best D-lineman on the team when healthy. Whether he is able to play 1 game this year or 19, it would be worth having him. Just because he has had some bad injuries in recent years doesn't mean his level of play has suddenly gone to hell. I guess we should cut Troy too since it's possible he will get hurt again this season and miss some games.

What good is having the best D-Lineman if he's not on the field? That's the problem. Not that he's no longer productive, but he can't stay healthy.

Paying ~5 million dollars for one game, I don't care who it is, is a terrible waste of prescious salary cap room. Football is a business. Sometimes you need to make a business decision on what's good for the team, even if it impacts a great player that's been a good soldier for many years.