PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu is who he is, even in preseason

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Did you cringe in fear when Troy started running back that interception and then took a low shot right on the knees? He bounced up ok and was fine, but still, I think every member of the Steeler Nation held their collective breath!

I'm not surprised he returned it as far as he did, it's just how Troy plays the game. He's not afraid to take chances and take contact head on if necessary.

Polamalu had a real good night last night, flying around the ball like the guy we're used to seeing. He picked off one pass and nearly picked off another earlier in the game. He didn't register any tackles in the game but if you watched him, he was vintage Troy Polamalu while on the field.

It was encouraging to watch him last night, after coming off the achilles injury last year. He didn't have any surgery for it this offseason, but choose to rest and rehab instead. From what I saw he had good explosion and quickness, good closing speed, and seemed to be able to cut pretty well. He proved that when he's healthy he's does things on the field that most could never dream of doing.

Now, can he stay healthy? Who knows, we'll have to wait and see.

LatrobePA
08-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Dammit Troy get downnnnnnnnnnnnnn I was screaming!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2011, 05:41 PM
I know right. All I could see was him rolling around on the ground in pain after he took that low hit. Thank goodness he didn't though. I'm sure Tomlin was thinking, are you kidding me, get down!! LOL

When they media asked Tomlin about it after the game he just said, "I'm over it". So you know that scenario was in the back of his mind.

Scorp
08-19-2011, 05:52 PM
That's what Troy do baby. That's why i bought his jersey last year and that's why he is my favorite Steeler.

I was stoked when he intercepted that pass and i didn't even realize it was Vick that hit him with vapo rub on the knees until the replay. My heart almost stopped when i saw the hit, but was wipin the sweat off my forehead when he got up a-ok.

All our boys have to do is stay healthy and the precious is OURS.........OURS.

Goodfrom55
08-19-2011, 06:42 PM

Same here. He plays with reckless abandon, but is as fragile as a China Doll.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm glad he plays the game the way he does, but i rather him save that for the regular/post season instead of preseason, he obvious only knows how to play the game one way:eek1:, and i have 2 of his jerseys a throw back one and a regular home one of him cause he is a beast and i'm glad he's a steeler hopefully for life:crossfingers:.

Farrior Fan
08-19-2011, 09:08 PM
I guess I am the only guy here that was yelling, Take it to the house! When Troy has the pigskin and those locks start flowing it is 50/50 that Steeler Nation will be yelling TOUCHDOWN in seconds.

And wow I'm glad he popped up so quick, of course he weighs at least 30 lbs more than Vick.

Katmandu
08-19-2011, 09:30 PM
he is a beast and i'm glad he's a steeler hopefully for life:crossfingers:.I don't even want to see the backlash that will result IF the front office were foolish enough to let him slip away !

It will be all out Armagedoon in Steeler Nation! :eek1:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-20-2011, 12:25 AM
He's been a priority for them all along, I don't there's really any way he doesn't finish his career in Pittsburgh. The only way they would let him go, and even then it's a stretch, is if he gets hurt again this year and misses half or all of the season.

I doubt he gets a new deal before the season starts, nor Timmons for that matter. They have a franchise tag to use next year if need be so I would assume as soon as the season is over they'll start talking to both guys. Polamalu will probably be the easier of the 2 to sign anyways.

STEELyourface
08-20-2011, 01:32 AM
I have a pretty good feeling they'll get both Troy and Timmons signed. I think you guys are right though, not until after the season and they'll probably have to franchise one of them, most likely Troy.

...and ya, I was yelling for him to get down but you guys said it, he only knows how to play the game one way and as soon as he starts thinking about not getting injured or tries to change who he is you can bet that is when it would happen.

I sometimes wonder if he'd be as great as he is had he not played in this defensive scheme. I know he still would have been great, obviously, but I think Lebeau really found the perfect way to maximize all his abilities. This is clearly no surprise and a testament to the greatness of both of them, I just stop to consider how lucky we are sometimes I guess.

connecticutsteel
08-20-2011, 01:50 AM
Same here. He plays with reckless abandon, but is as fragile as a China Doll.i would'nt go that far

BlitzburghRockCity
08-20-2011, 11:20 AM
i would'nt go that far

The last few years have proved he can't stay healthy for the entire season unfortunately. Whether it's a knee or an ankle, he's had his issues for sure. His play style, and some would say his workout and rehab regimens, aren't conducive to a long career in the league. He does things that most players could only dream of, and his instincts are second to none. When he's not on the field it's a noticeable difference in how the defense plays the run and the pass both. I hope he can stay healthy, he's as valuable as they come in the league, but he is prone to injuries in recent history.

Rampage
08-20-2011, 12:26 PM
I loved the interception; he didn't even look like he was trying to make the grab.

Farrior Fan
08-20-2011, 12:34 PM
It was tipped 15 feet in front of him, I could have easily caught it. It is the fact that he seemingly is always in the right place at the right time that makes him so valuable. I just wish he would learn to wrap up instead of trying to torpedo opponents. But as long as he is healthy I will not complain. When he is 80% he is a liability imo.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Troy's instincts and knowledge of the game help him be in the right place at the right time. The main thing was that everyone got to see Troy back on the field and healthy, and running down the field like we're used to seeing when he's on his game.

When he's 80% though you're right he is a liability because he won't change his play style to compensate, and I'm not saying he should. He only plays one way, and if he's not 100% he can't pull it off nearly as effectively.

Dobre Shunka
08-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Bottom-line is, he's always there when healthy.

igor0190
08-21-2011, 09:32 PM
After Troy interecepted the ball Michael Vick is not allowed to be blocked according to the new NFL rules. Another sad excuse fot a rule by the NFL.

Thisoneguy555
08-22-2011, 12:17 AM
When your adrenaline is pumping, "get down and play safe because this game is meaningless" usually doesn't come to your mind right away lol. Troy wont be around much longer in general, people are just hoping to squeeze another superbowl out of him before he's forced to retire before his legs fall off.

steelersgal86
08-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Troy's instincts and knowledge of the game help him be in the right place at the right time. The main thing was that everyone got to see Troy back on the field and healthy, and running down the field like we're used to seeing when he's on his game.

When he's 80% though you're right he is a liability because he won't change his play style to compensate, and I'm not saying he should. He only plays one way, and if he's not 100% he can't pull it off nearly as effectively.

exactly....the troy we saw last week is the troy we all know and love...lets hope he can stay healthy this season...and play like that alot :crossfingers:

TampaSteelGirl
08-22-2011, 06:45 AM

OMG me toooo!!! I was like..please let him get up ok. Guess it was the only way Vick was gonna stop him although I did think it was pretty low.

--- Added 8/22/2011 at 05:45 AM ---

After Troy interecepted the ball Michael Vick is not allowed to be blocked according to the new NFL rules. Another sad excuse fot a rule by the NFL.

Im sure they will call that ridiculous rule the "Troy Polamalu" rule..just sayin