PDA

View Full Version : 54 Chris Carter

coldrolled
08-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Chris looked like he was ready for a roster spot. i cant see him sticking to the PS ...

he will be another 49er/Tampa pickup off our PS...

connecticutsteel
08-19-2011, 10:12 AM
they can't just take him off our practice squad unless we waive him

K Train
08-19-2011, 10:16 AM

yes they can, they just have to put him on their active roster, they cant take them off our practice squad to put them on theirs, but any team can sign another teams practice squad player

coldrolled
08-19-2011, 10:33 AM

We lost NT Woods to Tampa last year like that.

--- Added 8/19/2011 at 09:33 AM ---

Carter needs to make the roster IMO

Rampage
08-19-2011, 12:28 PM
He was definitely getting a good push on his side. Hopefully he gets some more reps in games three and four.

andyg1984
08-19-2011, 12:54 PM
his college tape is pretty decent - has some natural moves

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Any player on the PS can sign with any team they choose. The player doesn't have too, but if you think about it, if you're on the PS and somebody wants to pay you a ton of money to be on an active roster, you'd go too.

As far as Carter goes, the coaches like what they've seen from him in camp, and he had a couple tackles vs Washington, although none last night. The backup linebacker spots are pretty much wide open . Worilds and Sylvester and Foote will make the roster but after that it's anybody's game.

coldrolled
08-19-2011, 01:40 PM
As far as Carter goes, the coaches like what they've seen from him in camp, and he had a couple tackles vs Washington, although none last night..

He controlled his space well. Looked like he was in control of himself most of the time.

connecticutsteel
08-20-2011, 02:19 AM
wow i thought the practice squad was protected some how ok well then the question is why did they use the 4th rd pick on Cortez allen he probably won't make the team unless they cut butler, lewis ,or others what a waste

Black@Gold Forever32
08-20-2011, 02:31 AM
I doubt teams will be banging down the door to sign Cortez Allen off our practice squad if he ends up there....He has been injured and really no team has any idea if he is going to be a player or not......

connecticutsteel
08-20-2011, 02:33 AM
i don't think they will either but you would think the 4th round pick makes the team

bigplaysteel
08-20-2011, 05:56 AM

This comes up every year and every year I forget how it works. Everyone has it right about a player can be taken from another teams PS but must be added to their active 53. I think? Then the team losing the player has the option to negate that move by adding the player to their own active 53 I think.[not sure about that?] Oh heck, now I'm back to getting mixed up ---every year the same thing --- HOWEVER: this stuff has nothing to do with what you are saying. IIRC from preceding years this is how it works.

If this player does not make the final 53 of the Steelers, he is then up for grabs to any team that wants to sign him I think. Since he is considered waived. If no one else signs him then the Steelers can put him on their PS if they choose to. Then those rules about the PS come into play. Savran has explained this dozens of times and informed posters have definitively made it clear numerous times over the years, nonetheless it is still very confusing to me and I don't think I have it right again. Anyone know how this works for sure?

Last year they lost the LB from OSU. But I can't remember if he made it to the PS or not. Couple years ago Rashad Harris the NT was taken from the PS by Carolina and placed on the active 53. This I remember then he didn;t cut it and was waived and is now back here but out again waived injured or something. Believe me this is allways very confusing and every year it comes up and is always mixed up.

This is the risk all teams take when they make their final cuts. The rules once the player is on the PS are easy to know. But what I forget is if the player does not make the final 53 and you want to add him to you PS. This is where the confusion for me comes in. Someone posted that the player can choose where he goes, I think this is correct but what I am not sure of is if another team would like this player do they have to add him to their active 53 or can they simply negotiate with him and [if he chooses] add him to their PS. Yes it is confusing and comes up every year.

While we're on this how about this related scenario: Say Cortez Allen or any other drafted player that is signed and under contract does not make the final 53. This raises all these questions for me. Is this players contract now terminated? Say he is not picked up by any other team, and is not added to the PS. What is the status of his already signed contract now? Is his contract simply negated: And if he is added to the PS is he resigned to another contract? Anyone really know how this stuff works? This might be a good year to straighten it out.