PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Gilbert and Jonathan Scott knee injuries

BlitzburghRockCity
08-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Anybody have Flozell and Starks' numbers? You can bet the Steelers were keeping their hands on the speed dial tonight after seeing both LT's going down with knee injuries in the first half.

Scott started out at LT and left the game after the first play. He walked off under his own power but was limping. Marcus Gilbert came in for the most of the rest of the series and then he left with a knee injury as well.

From what we saw Gilbert didn't look too bad, he was getting a nice push in the run game, although he did have a holding call but that's to be expected with a rookie. The Steelers better hope these guys aren't seriously injured because there isn't much left, literally.

Tony Hills came in at LT after Gilbert went down and Chris Scott came in at RG.

LatrobePA
08-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Sitting on pins and needles you can bet

BlitzburghRockCity
08-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Tomlin just said that both guys hyper extended their knee, he said they "should" be fine.

connecticutsteel
08-18-2011, 11:48 PM
M Gilbert TWEETED THAT HIS KNEE INJURYwasn't serious

LatrobePA
08-19-2011, 12:00 AM
I like what I saw from Gilbert tonight. But keep in mind Philly didn't blitz much!

Big T
08-19-2011, 12:58 AM
I like what I saw from Gilbert tonight. But keep in mind Philly didn't blitz much!

They may not have blitzed much but he held his own against a quality end in Trent Cole. It looked like Trent Cole would get the edge then Gilbert would end up forcing him outside. I was happy with what I saw.

DanRooney
08-19-2011, 01:23 AM
Not what I saw from Gilbert. He reacted very late on his first snap, was driven backwards really bad on two other plays and had a holding penalty. Shaky at best if you ask me but that's expected in someone who saw their first action there against first teamers. Hills looked pretty impressive when he replaced him.

coldrolled
08-19-2011, 07:15 AM
luckily... troy has both his knees...

harpo
08-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Not what I saw from Gilbert. He reacted very late on his first snap, was driven backwards really bad on two other plays and had a holding penalty. Shaky at best if you ask me but that's expected in someone who saw their first action there against first teamers. Hills looked pretty impressive when he replaced him.

I saw the same thing you saw. However, as the game went on, he did show some encouraging signs that he can play in this league if he put in the work. He had a key block on the TD pass to Antonio Brown.

Overall, i would probably give him a D-, but I am encouraged that he's only going to get better if they allow him to play.

LatrobePA
08-19-2011, 07:59 AM
He got his sea legs after a few snaps and looked solid.

K Train
08-19-2011, 09:11 AM
he continually stone walled trent cole...it was lovely

LatrobePA
08-19-2011, 09:26 AM
he continually stone walled trent cole...it was lovely

After a few series does it look like he can be our future LT??

K Train
08-19-2011, 09:34 AM
absolutely, i see no benefit in starting jonathan scott over him at all. scott is a top tier backup LT but that makes him a bottom 5 starting LT. gilbert looked nasty out there and even when the rusher got the best of him he compensated brilliantly, probably the hardest thing for a young tackle to do

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2011, 11:04 AM
These next 2 games will tell us a lot about LT and RG on the line. The rest of the positions are already set.

I would like to see Hills get some more work at RG and Gilbert at LT. If he Marcus especially can stay in the game the next 2 weeks and have a decent showing, he could potentially unseat J. Scott. The Steelers always do like their veterans though, so it won't be an easy task for Gilbert.

K Train
08-19-2011, 11:11 AM
if hes healthy i dont see any way scott beats out gilbert...gilbert was more impressive in 5 minutes than scotts been in 2 years

could easily see the day one starters being

Gilbert/Kemo/Pouncey/Hills/Colon

and they may very well bring back flo, but even if they dont this could be the best oline weve seen since Smith/Faneca/Hartings/Simmons/Starks

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Had either of the injuries to Scott or Gilbert be serious I would think Flozell would be heading to Pittsburgh this week. If they both stay healthy they'll probably be your starter and backup for 2011.

Whoever it is, they'll be thrown to the wolves in week 1 vs. the Ravens so we'll see how they do.

connecticutsteel
08-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Gilbert will have to perform at the same level that pouncey did in the next 2 games to even have a chance to sniff the field this year

K Train
08-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Gilbert will have to perform at the same level that pouncey did in the next 2 games to even have a chance to sniff the field this year

no way, maybe to be a day one starter but he will get reps this year.

hes not as good as pouncey, but hes looking pretty damn good regardless

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2011, 11:44 AM
You can't compare most young lineman to Pouncey. Maurkice is a freak, it's rare to see an offensive lineman make the pro bowl, let alone a Center, in their rookie year.

Gilbert still has work to do, and maybe he isn't the day 1 starter but he's a definite to make the roster and if Scott struggles they won't hesitate to put in Gilbert. Either way you're going to have growing pains without a veteran like Max Starks out there. It's a matter of who has the bigger upside while going through those pains.

K Train
08-19-2011, 11:45 AM
It's a matter of who has the bigger upside while going through those pains.

i wish that were the case, it would be gilbert hands down lol

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Play the best five OL period and I don't care if Gilbert is a rookie if he is one of the best five then he should play......Scott is ok as a swing OT.......Pouncey and Gilbert bring such athleticism to the offensive line......Throw in Colon and then maybe Hills the Steelers have the makings of a solid line....even with Kemo's dumbass starting....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Ramon Foster didn't do himself any favors last night after that bone head move diving into the pile at the Eagles' defenders legs. I do like Foster overall, I was happy with him last year but his spot is wide open right now.

harpo
08-19-2011, 11:56 AM
if hes healthy i dont see any way scott beats out gilbert...gilbert was more impressive in 5 minutes than scotts been in 2 years

could easily see the day one starters being

Gilbert/Kemo/Pouncey/Hills/Colon

and they may very well bring back flo, but even if they dont this could be the best oline weve seen since Smith/Faneca/Hartings/Simmons/Starks

Yep, I said a few weeks ago that Gilbert might be a starter this year, being that he was a 2nd round pick. He has the quickness to subdue the quick pass rush from the outside. I still want to see his counter to 'spin moves' and 'bull rushes'.

coldrolled
08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Yep, I said a few weeks ago that Gilbert might be a starter this year, being that he was a 2nd round pick. He has the quickness to subdue the quick pass rush from the outside. I still want to see his counter is to 'spinning moves' and 'bull rushes'.

Casey Matthews was the starter ILB he is a 4th rounder...

harpo
08-19-2011, 12:07 PM

True, but Matthews wouldn't see the field on this team.

K Train
08-19-2011, 12:15 PM

starting midget matthews is an odd move by the eagles imo

harpo
08-19-2011, 12:16 PM
starting midget matthews is an odd move by the eagles imo

I thought it was just me.

Rampage
08-19-2011, 12:17 PM
I thought Gilbert looked solid at LT while he was in there. I'd love to see him make it as the starter if his play warrants it.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Just read on Ed Bouchette's blog that the MRI on both Gilbert and J. Scott shows no damage and both players will be ok.

LatrobePA
08-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Cool deal.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Injury update The MRI on Jonathan Scott's right knee was negative, but the starting left tackle sat out practice Saturday and could be out until the regular-season opener at Baltimore.

"Worst-case scenario, I will be ready for the opening game," Scott said. "Just have to take it day-by-day."

Scott injured his knee on the first play of Thursday's preseason game against Philadelphia. The 6-foot-6, 318-pounder said that the knee has quickly gotten better.
"The progression is definitely happening," Scott said.

Rookie tackle Marcus Gilbert also had no structural damage to his left knee, but he also will miss some practice time.

"Maybe a day or two," Tomlin said. "We are anxious to get those guys back out there."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Tomlin%20continues%20pattern%20of%20grueling%20wor kouts%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_752634.html#ixzz1VdXTCOAd)

Koopa
08-21-2011, 01:37 AM
That sucks that scott wont possibly play till the ravens game.... Now he can't be out played by Gilbert and they might start him over Gilbert cause he's more experienced

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2011, 02:37 PM
We can hope that Gilbert is ready to go this Saturday and if he can play that game and the next and have a good showing they might actually go with him. I agree with you though that most likely they'll go with Scott because he has a year's more experience at LT than Gilbert does.

Either way the Steelers are going to have to give them both help on the left side in week one otherwise they'll get blown up by Suggs.