PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger looked solid vs. the Eagles

BlitzburghRockCity
08-18-2011, 11:56 PM
The vaunted dream team defense, didn't look so dreamy in preseason game #2.
Yeah Yeah I know it's preseason but still, I'm encouraged at how Ben looked
tonight during the time with the starters in the game. 8/12 125 yds and 2 TD's.
He read the coverage well, bought time, and was able to beat the blitz on several occasions. The offense held the ball for 23:03 in the first half, in which nearly all the starters for both teams were on the field.

That pass to Mewelde Moore on the 2nd drive was a thing of beauty. Wide open, behind the blitz and into the redzone. Overall you have to be encouraged with how well
he played compared the few snaps he took last week when he got knocked
around and left the game.

Incidentally, he also told Pam Oliver that his foot is feeling good right now and he's pleased overall with how he's progressing getting ready for the regular season.

TampaSteelGirl
08-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Im so stoked about the team tonight!! I think we are going to be great this year!

andyg1984
08-19-2011, 12:02 AM
crazy how we were able to move the ball with the O line looking like complete crap at times ... pouncey looked great tonight tho and definitely saved them (OL) from an otherwise horrible performance..

dont look to see these injuries obviously ..

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2011, 12:12 AM
If the OL can stay healthy then I expect great things from Ben and the entire Steelers offense......I swear I never have seen Ben in such control and look so comfortable in the preseason.......He is primed for a big year....I made a prediction back in 2007 that Ben would throw for 30 TD's that season and he did with 32....I think he throws for 30+ this year......Wallace, Ward, Sanders, Brown, Miller, and Cotchery provide enough fire power for him to do so......The key will be the OL.....

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2011, 12:35 AM
You have to keep your excitement in check because it is preseason, but damn Ben did look good tonight didn't he? He was taking the game seriously and made sure he made the most of his reps tonight. He looked comfortable in the pocket just like always, even under some pressure.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2011, 12:41 AM
To me Ben just looks the most comfortable he has ever looked....He also looks to be in great shape to....I think he his best season yet this year.......

STEELyourface
08-19-2011, 12:51 AM
I gotta say, I think any combination of receivers the Steelers put out on the field at any point of the game is real solid. We may end up having the deepest receiving corp in the league. I think Ben is going to have a big year.

LatrobePA
08-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Ben has every reason to look good, his WR's are IMO the best in the league!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2011, 08:45 AM
If I'm Ben and I see all those targets over there ready to catch the ball, I'm dreaming of all the ways I can score TD's in 2011. Cotchery is going to be a real good addition to the team, if he stays healthy he'll be one of the unsung hero's on offense for this team.

It still amazes me after all the years of getting pounded into the ground while standing int he pocket that Ben is so comfortable back there. Maybe because he knows he can escape whenever he needs too, but still, he's just composed and focused her early on.

harpo
08-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Don't forget about Heath Miller, the unsung hero. ;)

North Steel
08-19-2011, 09:05 AM
I just hope they don't abandon the running game too much this year.

LarryNJ
08-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Ben did look very good, physically (did he lose a lot of weight?), mentally he looked very comfortable and confident. He's in his prime now and has a great arsenal of weapons so it should be a good year.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2011, 12:54 PM
I actually think he looked just a tad bigger than usual. Probably all those home cooked meals he's been getting since he got married, LOL.

Really though, you just have to love him. Year in and year out in the face of all the tinfoil offensive lines he's been behind he stands tall in the pocket and delivers the ball. Hell I'm more excited to see him on the run rather than sitting back in the pocket.

STEELyourface
08-19-2011, 01:08 PM
I actually think he looked just a tad bigger than usual. Probably all those home cooked meals he's been getting since he got married, LOL.

Really though, you just have to love him. Year in and year out in the face of all the tinfoil offensive lines he's been behind he stands tall in the pocket and delivers the ball. Hell I'm more excited to see him on the run rather than sitting back in the pocket.

I liked that quick snap where he just barreled ahead for a quick 9 yards. That is something worth revisiting from time to time. I would say he probably has the freedom to call that anytime he walks to the line and is able to catch the D off guard. If that isn't BA's plan for that little quick snap then it should be. Just one more little wrinkle to add pressure to the D and keep them on their heels.

Rampage
08-19-2011, 01:16 PM
BR looked sharp. Early in the first drive he looked a little off, but he shook off the rust by the end of the second drive. I love the way he handled DRC coming in on the blitz. He also looks more fit, which is nice to see.

andyg1984
08-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Ben has every reason to look good, his WR's are IMO the best in the league!

yeah right ...ben looks good because he is ben ..

steelersbabex25
08-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Wasn't surprised by this. Ben looks good 90% of the time.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Of course Ben looks good when he is 100% healthy he is one of the best in the NFL.....I'm just saying he looks so comfortable and in such command of the offense especially for preseason.....Ben is passing for 4000 yards and 30 TD's this year.....

Speeed
08-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Even with all of those WR's, he still has his best weapon yet - his ability to scramble. Planning to play the Steelers must be a defensive coordinators nightmare. Can you imagine any other QB in the league running for 9 yards right from the snap? Vic maybe, but that's about it.

I cannot imagine the Steelers with any other QB.

LatrobePA
08-19-2011, 05:10 PM
yeah right ...ben looks good because he is ben ..

Wasn't a knock on Ben...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2011, 02:08 AM
He's not exactly 100% healthy, but he's about as good as he'll get. That foot is probably going to be an issue all year. Once he gets into the regular season it's probably going to flare up on him and he'll have to play through the pain again. Right now though he said it feels good and he's hoping it doesn't get as bad as last year.

He'll tough it out either way I'm sure, hell he was playing with that bigger shoe and tons of tape and still ran around like he always does.

TampaSteelGirl
08-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Just watching this game I am getting even more excited for the regular season to start. I was really impressed with the team!!! Bring it Ravens!!! :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-22-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm anxious to see how Ben and the offense does this week. They came in with a chip on their shoulder for the Eagles game. They knew they didn't play well so they wanted to defend the home turf and have a better night.

Let's see them keep up that intensity and sense of urgency this week. The Falcons can put up points as well as anyone on offense, it wouldn't surprise me to see a bit of a shootout in this game.

STEELyourface
08-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm anxious to see how Ben and the offense does this week. They came in with a chip on their shoulder for the Eagles game. They knew they didn't play well so they wanted to defend the home turf and have a better night.

Let's see them keep up that intensity and sense of urgency this week. The Falcons can put up points as well as anyone on offense, it wouldn't surprise me to see a bit of a shootout in this game.

YES. or it could be 15-9 and painfully lack any offensive execution. Just kidding that was as much from missing Ben as anything. As always, I'm interested to see our secondary against their passing game. Matt Ryan is one of the most effecient QBs in the league and I wanna see how we stack up. As a side note, I think Julio Jones is gonna be the real deal.