PDA

View Full Version : Limas sweed project over; released today by the Steelers

JShare86
08-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Just saw the tweet from the Steelers official twitter account.

Limas Sweed was waived today, officially placed on the "waived/injured list".

The once-promising-but-confounding career of wide receiver Limas Sweed came to an end with the Steelers today when the team waived him injured.

A No. 2 draft choice in 2008 who had the size and speed to be a potential star, Sweed was waived to make room on the roster for a pair of experienced defensive backs who were signed to add depth -- cornerback Kevin Dockery, a six-year NFL veteran who played last season with the St. Louis Rams; and safety/cornerback Macho Harris, a third-year player who was with the Washington Redskins in 2010.

Sweed had been bothered by a sprained shoulder and did not play in last week's preseason opener against the Redskins. At 6 feet 4 and 220 pounds, he had the physical potential to be an impact player in the league, but his career was marked by dropped passes and off-the-field personal issues.

Sweed caught only seven passes for 69 yards in two seasons with the Steelers. He did not play last season because of an Achilles injury.

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11229/1167896-100.stm#ixzz1VKL3zUAT)

K Train
08-17-2011, 09:34 AM
sigh.....come on tony hills, save that draft class from complete embarrassment

JShare86
08-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Also waived te Eugene bright and also signed db Kevin dockery

Blazedby92
08-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Told you so...How do you like your Crow,lol
BUST

Now we will have to hear how he's going to be a star somewhere else

BlitzburghRockCity
08-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Officially placed on the "waived/injured list".

So the project that was Limas Sweed, the 2nd round draft pick out of Texas, has officially ended with an unsurprising outcome.

K Train
08-17-2011, 09:39 AM
cotchery put the writing on the wall for him, its a shame...i hope he goes somewhere and contributes

TONY HILLS LETS ****IN GO haha

Farrior Fan
08-17-2011, 09:45 AM
In 08 we also drafted Ryan Mundy, Mendenhall, and Hills. Mundy still hasn't shown me much but he does get on the field periodically and he better be ready this year for when Troy gets hurt. Mendenhall is one of the better RBs in the NFL, and Hills may be ready to get some PT at guard now. Certainly not one of our better draft classes but far better than a lot of teams. I always laugh when you hear about a young former 1st rounder getting cut, that just doesn't happen in Pburg.

Blazedby92
08-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Contribute to their health insurance and yes it is ashame cause I really thought he was the one when we drafted him but didn't take long to see otherwise.

WASTE of talent injury proned and a head case

K Train
08-17-2011, 09:52 AM
not sure you can call him a waste....mike williams was a waste, charles rodgers was a waste of talent...sweed tried hard and did everything right, was a good team mate, a hard worker, and a passionate player...laziness and waste wasnt his problem, he jsut wasnt a good pro WR. it happens, same **** happened with dwayne jarrett...was a man among boys in college but couldnt cut it in the pros

Speeed
08-17-2011, 09:52 AM
I feel bad for the guy. He went out of his way on training camp Monday to sign a football and a SB program for my two daughters. I wish a nice guy the best. He was nothing but smiles and happy grins.

Raleigh Steel
08-17-2011, 10:07 AM
i've got nothing against sweed. i'm sure he's a good kid and did everything he could...but sometimes your best just isn't good enough. our team isn't built solely on guys who are nice...they have to produce, and sweed just didn't do that.

maybe he will catch on somewhere else...if he can catch that is....

Katmandu
08-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Just saw the tweet from the Steelers official twitter account.

Limas Sweed was waived today, officially placed on the "waived/injured list".That's to bad.... I just read yesterday that he was expected to play tomorrow night. Hope he gets a chance somewhere else.

Good luck on your recovery Limas. Hang in there. :yellowthumb:

Blazedby92
08-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Yeah CFL as a CB

SteelDad
08-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Certainly comes as no surprise. I agree with Ktrain. Limas did all of the things he was asked of and never caused problems. Who knows just how mentally damaging the dropped pass in the end zone was for him??? I hate seeing high draft picks bust, but it really is the nature of the business.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
You can't fault him for the injuries, those things just happen. You would assume that he's been in the kind of shape he needs to be in but even that doesn't always help.

The first 2 years he needed to grow up and stop focusing on "hey I'm an NFL player, woohoo", but after that it just turned into an injury thing he could never overcome.

Steel Trap86
08-17-2011, 11:08 AM
If he wasn't injured again, I'd be surprised.

TampaSteelGirl
08-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Bittersweet feelings for me.

JensK
08-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Rooted for him all the way to the end. Too bad the outcome ended like this but what can you do. He did show up when it was his time to shine and thats how the business is. Best of luck to him.

Big T
08-17-2011, 11:20 AM
This upsets me so much more than it should. Damn, I was looking forward to seeing him tomorrow night. :(

connecticutsteel
08-17-2011, 11:27 AM
wHAT A SHAME He's gonna be a jet next week lol

K Train
08-17-2011, 11:29 AM
jet, redskin, cardinal....i have no doubts

Rampage
08-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Such a disappointment.

Inb4 Sweed appears in the pro bowl as a Patriot.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Bummer....Can't fault the Steelers at all for cutting him and its a shame Limas could never put it together.......Especially when he was a hard worker and really a good guy.......I kept rooting for him and hey I'm still going to root for him unless he ends up with another team in the AFC North or the Pats....lol

LatrobePA
08-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Another wasted pick!! He'll be badass for someone else, count on that!

TampaSteelGirl
08-17-2011, 12:37 PM
I like the kid but if he wasn't "badass" for a team he REALLY wanted to play for what makes you think he's gonna be that way for any other team??? :dunno:

Rampage
08-17-2011, 12:37 PM

Talk about an overall ****** draft class. Looking back, 2008 and 2009 were both pretty weak.

LatrobePA
08-17-2011, 12:42 PM
I like the kid but if he wasn't "badass" for a team he REALLY wanted to play for what makes you think he's gonna be that way for any other team??? :dunno:

Personally I think he's got it, but for whatever reason he's not tough enough for the NFL right now. In the right system he could (could being the key word) shine...

andyg1984
08-17-2011, 12:43 PM
i hope he does well somewhere else .. maybe he really needs a true fresh start and this is best for both sides

TampaSteelGirl
08-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Personally I think he's got it, but for whatever reason he's not tough enough for the NFL right now. In the right system he could (could being the key word) shine...

Hmmm not sure...he had alot of heart...a great QB to work with but just doesn't have the concentration or the hands...not so sure. I'd like him to prove me wrong though, he's a nice kid.

coldrolled
08-17-2011, 01:02 PM

he will get hit like dixon will and get broke in half... BA quotes.

LatrobePA
08-17-2011, 01:12 PM
He never had a true chance here, a couple dropped balls don't make him a scrub.

Blazedby92
08-17-2011, 01:17 PM
I rooted for the kid the whole 4yrs he was here too but I grasp reality sooner than most and some still haven't grasp it. If they wear Black and Gold I root for them.

I have heard every excuse for him the 4 yrs too, injuries,disease,head case which was true.
Really how many players have you seen just blow up after 4 dissapointing seasons.
FUN FACT
IKE has more catches (11) and yards (119) TD(1) in his career than Limas catches(7) yards (69) TD(0)

Tr305
08-17-2011, 01:39 PM

Some people just got it and some dont nice guy all that stuff I hear ya thats good to a certin extent but if he would be a productive *** hole I would have much more taken that. He had perfect build be a great WR threat well except what matters and thats HANDS to catch the ball smh still remember AFC championship against Ravens

On bright side for him he will be getting a call from Cardinals any second now you know how much ol Whiz loves ex Steelers

SteelDad
08-17-2011, 01:49 PM
jet, redskin, cardinal....i have no doubts

Don't rule out the Raiders!!

LatrobePA
08-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Don't rule out the Raiders!!

I say Ravens or Clowns..

Steel Trap86
08-17-2011, 04:08 PM
I could see a division rival picking him up...(Ravens)

HUNT4SEVEN
08-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Rooted for him all the way to the end. Too bad the outcome ended like this but what can you do. He did show up when it was his time to shine and thats how the business is. Best of luck to him.

:plus1: what he said....

UKSTEELER
08-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Real shame. He needed a great camp to succeed - and because of injuries just hasn't had the chance to prove himself over.

His biggest issue appears to be confidence. Once he got in the doghouse with his first easy drop and he got in Tomlins bad book, it was always a struggle. I think if Mike new then what he knows now, it may have been treated differently and we may have had a better situation on our hands?

I wish Limas all the best and hope he proves us wrong.:helmet:

chisteeler
08-17-2011, 08:45 PM
For a guy that has had almost zero playing time, why is it that he is always "injured". I claim the puss factor into the equation. I admit that I had hopes for the first 2 seasons of his career, then after that, I write off these prima donnas off as the best that never played! If he succeeds on another team, then I say, who cares? I got sick of hearing about him for the last 4 years. Good buy and good luck! I'd actually rather see someone like ARE be here and somewhat contribute, than this doucher be here and have us hope and wonder if he "makes" the team. What a chump...sure, nice guy, but a chump player.
BOO HOO!

steelersbabex25
08-17-2011, 08:50 PM
This is kind of hilarious. I'm waiting for the "don't count Sweed out yet" comments :lol:

STEELyourface
08-17-2011, 09:08 PM
For a guy that has had almost zero playing time, why is it that he is always "injured". I claim the puss factor into the equation. I admit that I had hopes for the first 2 seasons of his career, then after that, I write off these prima donnas off as the best that never played! If he succeeds on another team, then I say, who cares? I got sick of hearing about him for the last 4 years. Good buy and good luck! I'd actually rather see someone like ARE be here and somewhat contribute, than this doucher be here and have us hope and wonder if he "makes" the team. What a chump...sure, nice guy, but a chump player.
BOO HOO!

That's pretty much my exact feelings on the matter too. If I'm being honest I thought he was a steal of a draft pick where they got him cause he was good at Texas, but he was definitely a huge disappointment. I read a lot of people claiming he never got a fair chance and what not, but the dude either dropped every pass thrown his way or got a penalty for the most part. I guess he is a really nice guy? Can't say that I know too much about him, but if that's true I guess I'd be happy if he made something of himself but I won't miss him either way.

steeldoc
08-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Clearly Tomlin had seen enough...time to move on.

connecticutsteel
08-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Injuries did him in he's not a puss or a doucher -prima donna he was a talented injury prone reciever who didnt make it clearly the steelers saw something in him to keep him around all this time

Zachintosh66
08-18-2011, 01:15 PM
experiment over... im not shocked, couldnt stay healthy.

Speeed
08-18-2011, 04:59 PM
I don't get why some attack him at a personal level. He is just a guy trying to make it in the NFL. If I were a player, of any skill, and the Steelers, or any other NFL team kept me on their roster despite injuries, performance, etc. I sure as hell would stay on board and try to improve and get better.

He loves football. He does not keep playing to make fans angry. There are better more accomplished players, but to make comments that attack his person? Common now.

jpbucco
08-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Not so fast my friends...

Injured/waived is different than waived/injury settlement. If I'm not mistaken, if he isn't claimed, the Steelers have the option of putting him on IR.

LatrobePA
08-18-2011, 05:19 PM
At this point I think they put him on FU...

STEELyourface
08-18-2011, 11:21 PM
I don't get why some attack him at a personal level. He is just a guy trying to make it in the NFL. If I were a player, of any skill, and the Steelers, or any other NFL team kept me on their roster despite injuries, performance, etc. I sure as hell would stay on board and try to improve and get better.

He loves football. He does not keep playing to make fans angry. There are better more accomplished players, but to make comments that attack his person? Common now.

You are right. I didn't say it but I "qouted it" and said I agreed with it and to an extent I do. I should have specified which parts I agreed with. Anyhow, just wanted to say for my part sorry. Didn't mean to offend you (or anyone else) and you are right correct in what you said above too.

chisteeler
08-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Injuries did him in he's not a puss or a doucher -prima donna he was a talented injury prone reciever who didnt make it clearly the steelers saw something in him to keep him around all this time

Obviously you and me and all the other addicts do not get paid to make the football decisions for the Steelers, but my point was that he was always getting injured. One has to wonder if these injuries were really medical football injuries or "mental/puss injuries". I hope you understand my argument. In short, I don't think he had what it takes 6 inches between the back and the chest to play for the Steelers or the NFL for that matter. I hope we can agree to disagree...:yellowthumb:

Blazedby92
08-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Obviously you and me and all the other addicts do not get paid to make the football decisions for the Steelers, but my point was that he was always getting injured. One has to wonder if these injuries were really medical football injuries or "mental/puss injuries". I hope you understand my argument. In short, I don't think he had what it takes 6 inches between the back and the chest to play for the Steelers or the NFL for that matter. I hope we can agree to disagree...:yellowthumb:

So you mean Heart and yes kind of what I've been saying the talent was there in college but will never make in the NFL

Zachintosh66
08-19-2011, 03:52 PM
He was hurt in college too... anyone else see a pattern?

talent dont mean anything if you cant use it

nothing is ever on a personal level when it comes to players, of course we all want the best, just there are factors beyond our control...

Remember NFL stands for NOT FOR LONG

Speeed
08-19-2011, 03:56 PM
You are right. I didn't say it but I "qouted it" and said I agreed with it and to an extent I do. I should have specified which parts I agreed with. Anyhow, just wanted to say for my part sorry. Didn't mean to offend you (or anyone else) and you are right correct in what you said above too.

I don't think it offended me, it just struck me as cold to attack someone who is obviously trying. Empathy goes a long way. Don't get me wrong, I ain't no bleeding heart and I also believe keeping him is questionable.

As it turns out, you did not even talk badly about him and you still apologized. That takes character, as most active users here do have. Thanks for following up, and no offense taken anyway - no worries!

I hope he finds a home somewhere.

Goodfrom55
08-19-2011, 06:46 PM
He will be signed by the Ravens and matched up vs B-Mac. He will have 11 catches for 127 yards and 2 TD's vs B-Mac. Steelers still win the opener though.

connecticutsteel
08-19-2011, 07:36 PM
He will be signed by the Ravens and matched up vs B-Mac. He will have 11 catches for 127 yards and 2 TD's vs B-Mac. Steelers still win the opener though.

not a chance

Farrior Fan
08-19-2011, 08:22 PM
11 catches? Ha, Flacco will be on his back half the game. You do realize that he would take his eyes off the ball 3 seconds before it got to him because he would be wondering where Clark and Troy were.

I loved Limas when we drafted him and I really thought he would CATCH on with us at some point. But all the injuries and total lack of production were just too much and I finally see the light....he is a bust. Our WRs are so young and talented that we just had zero need for the guy. Give me Hines with his 7.4 speed and hands of gold over a guy that can get great seperation and drop balls that hit him in the numbers.

Katmandu
08-19-2011, 09:38 PM
I don't get why some attack him at a personal level. It's the stigma of mental illnesses (based on ignorance) that scares people. And we know how ignorant people react to something that scares them.

Nolrog
08-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that he dropped his last paycheck on the ground when it was handed to him?