PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to work out CB Macho Harris. Update: Signs deal on 8/17 to join Steelers

JShare86
08-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Update, as of this evening, the Steelers are going to work him out but he has not signed yet as originally thought. - BRC

What u guys think?

Out of Va Tech, did sign with the Redskins and was later released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCQwDW66yCY

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Draft info from 2009 (http://dcprosportsreport.com/2010/11/23/redskins-sign-s-macho-harris/)

Pros: Harris is a natural football player and is solid at most aspects of the game. He has great instincts and awareness on the field; a solid all-around corner that loves to make big hits on receivers and running backs. He looks extremely comfortable in zone and reads the quarterback very well. Even though he does not have great acceleration, Harris shows big-time playing making ability with the ball in his hands. He is elusive and makes quick, fluid cuts with great vision. He is a dangerous return man that has experience playing wide receiver.

Cons: He lacks the open field speed scouts love corners to have. He can be overly aggressive both in coverage and tackling. Will jump short routes he shouldn’t, and often goes for the knock out hit instead of the sure tackle. Definitely needs to play in a zone coverage scheme. He could end up being moved to free safety due to his lack of speed and quickness in coverage.
Scouts Take: Harris is a gifted playmaker, racking up 15 interceptions over the last three years at Virginia Tech. He plays with the swagger and knowledge NFL teams love defensive backs to have, and opposing teams fear. Despite his lack of speed, the former Hokie is comfortable with the ball in his hands and will at least get a shot as a returner—a potentially dynamic playmaker. If he is put in the right defensive scheme, he could develop into a star corner for his NFL team. If he struggles at corner, he has the ability to move to free safety and could be a ball-hawk. Harris has second-round ability, but could fall to later rounds because of his lack of measurables. The team that drafts him will have some work to do and decisions to make, but they will be getting one of the best all-around defensive backs in this draft.

K Train
08-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Good player, always liked him and thought he could play CB for us that year....he was a good player in philly just too small for FS for what they were trying to do (replace dawkins)

TheMadCupcake
08-16-2011, 03:42 PM
The Steelers have 4 CBs that are inactive for the Thursday game. They need a body at corner. While Macho Harris ran sub-4.5 at his pro day, his combine time was horrible (4.61-4.68). He lacks the ability to run with NFL WRs in deep coverage. He may find a home as a nickel guy with safety help over the top.

He is not physical enough to play safety. For the Eagles, he was timid when supporting the run and not physical when striking WRs. He missed too many plays.

LatrobePA
08-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Will he suit up Thursday??

K Train
08-16-2011, 03:52 PM
The Steelers have 4 CBs that are inactive for the Thursday game. They need a body at corner. While Macho Harris ran sub-4.5 at his pro day, his combine time was horrible (4.61-4.68). He lacks the ability to run with NFL WRs in deep coverage. He may find a home as a nickel guy with safety help over the top.

He is not physical enough to play safety. For the Eagles, he was timid when supporting the run and not physical when striking WRs. He missed too many plays.

hes actualyl a pretty physical little guy and he could definitely play in lebeaus zone scheme as a CB.

and that 40 time is just more proof that va tech has the fastest track in the world...cough worilds

connecticutsteel
08-16-2011, 03:54 PM
The question is who will be cut . The Steelers are going to break camp in a day or two so who gets cut and who stays .
Ike Taylor
Bryant McFadden
William Gay
Keenan Lewis
Crezdon Butler
Curtis Brown
Cortez Allen
Niles Brinkley
Donovan Warren
Macho Harris
10 Corners for five spots

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 03:56 PM
No idea if he'll suit up yet on Thursday. Considering he has no idea how the Steelers defense works I would suspect not but I'd figure he's going to play the 3rd and 4th games and see how things go.

If both Allen and Butler can get healthy here soon, Macho might not even make it on the roster that long.

TheMadCupcake
08-16-2011, 04:01 PM
The question is who will be cut . The Steelers are going to break camp in a day or two so who gets cut and who stays .
Ike Taylor
Bryant McFadden
William Gay
Keenan Lewis
Crezdon Butler
Curtis Brown
Cortez Allen
Niles Brinkley
Donovan Warren
Macho Harris

Well, they carried 9 LBs last season and will probably retain the normal 8 this season, so they could carry 6 CBs. I think they will. My guess would be Ike, McFadden, Gay, Butler, Brown, and Allen.

The Skins WRs turned Lewis every which way but loose. They had Warren scrambling around as well, actually getting their backs turned. Neither looked good in zone. Butler played better than both. Do you really spend two picks on rookies to cut them and keep a struggling Keenan Lewis? I don't. So, after Lewis, Brinkley, Warren, and Harris are mere placeholders now with one probably hitting the practice squad.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Ike, Brown, Butler will all make the team........I think McFadden will also but you never know........I think the other spot will come down to Gay or Allen.......

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Ike, Brown, Butler will all make the team........I think McFadden will also but you never know........I think the other spot will come down to Gay or Allen.......

Gay makes the team no question, there's so little cornerback experience behind Ike Taylor and McFadden it's not even funny. I would probably say I'd be shocked if both BMac and Gay didn't make the final roster.

McFadden has been hurt this for most of the camp too so no telling if he'll be ready for next weeks game or not. Gay has been the only experienced CB able to stay on the field.

Brown and Butler probably both make it too. Cortez Allen or Keenan Lewis could be the odd man out. Lewis been ok in camp but nothing spectacular. I think I'd take a chance on Cortez Allen's upside rather than keeping Lewis around any longer.

Rampage
08-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Has McFadden ever been healthy since the Steelers re-acquired him?

coldrolled
08-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Has McFadden ever been healthy since the Steelers re-acquired him?

Didnt we get rid of him because he played like Gay and we wanted better?

now he is back and always hurt? its a mystery... :thinking:

K Train
08-16-2011, 04:42 PM
we got rid of him cause we wouldnt pay him, then he saw that his market wasnt that high and took a 5 mil a year deal with AZ, was awful and was traded back for santonio holmes basically and hasnt been healthy since.

yeah...

Rampage
08-16-2011, 04:44 PM
I though McFadden looked solid the year that he ended up leaving, but ever since he has sucked hard in terms of durability.

LatrobePA
08-16-2011, 04:53 PM
we got rid of him cause we wouldnt pay him, then he saw that his market wasnt that high and took a 5 mil a year deal with AZ, was awful and was traded back for santonio holmes basically and hasnt been healthy since.

yeah...

I'd say we got the ****** end of this deal!

Zachintosh66
08-16-2011, 05:26 PM
Ike Taylor
Bryant McFadden
William Gay
Keenan Lewis
Crezdon Butler
Curtis Brown
Cortez Allen
Niles Brinkley
Donovan Warren
Macho Harris

:crossfingers:Willie Gay:crossfingers:

i can dream...

Rampage
08-16-2011, 05:29 PM
I'd say we got the ****** end of this deal!

Should have kept Holmes and made him play CB. :lol:

K Train
08-16-2011, 05:30 PM
that seriously cant be your dream

i know he got thrashed by some great QBs, a TE twice the size of him and a hall of famer in terrell owens but come on....niles brinkley, cortez allen, macho harris, and donovan warren are not answers to having gay cover guys way bigger and faster than him out of the slot or starting out wide.

the answer to that is play him on guys he can cover, and dont start him out wide. solved

JensK
08-16-2011, 06:26 PM

yeah...

That, plus when Gay shared time with Mcfadden during the 08 campain, Gay outperformed him at times and played that CB position just as well as McFadden did. It is worth noticing that McFadden did not have a bad year in 08. Not saying Gay haven't regressed by then, but I'll stick to what I've said all along. He is not as bad as people make him to be. I would rather have Gay than, for instance, Keenan Lewis on the roster.

JShare86
08-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Now it's being reported by the same guy that he didn't sign but is coming in for a workout sorry about that

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 07:56 PM
No worries, everybody and their brother reported that he signed too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ibleedblk&gld
08-16-2011, 08:06 PM
i like that he spots the ball and tries to make a play instead of watching the receiver catch the ball, then make the tackle

DanRooney
08-16-2011, 08:41 PM
that seriously cant be your dream

i know he got thrashed by some great QBs, a TE twice the size of him and a hall of famer in terrell owens

He's gets thrashed in nearly every game we play. Don't make it seem like Gronkowski and TO were the only two that has abused him. Those two just tooled him so bad that it was hard not to notice.

connecticutsteel
08-16-2011, 09:03 PM
I think allen will be on the practice squad this year

HUNT4SEVEN
08-16-2011, 11:16 PM
we should make a trade for Asante Samuel i would give a 3rd or 4th round pick for him we need some serious help ASAP, or it's gonna be a long season for us.
Ike Taylor
Bryant McFadden
William Gay
Keenan Lewis
Crezdon Butler
Curtis Brown
Cortez Allen
Niles Brinkley
Donovan Warren
Macho Harris
10 Corners for five spots Lewis, Brinkley,Warren...Lewis sucks bad i wonder why they haven't tried him at safety yet?,Cortez and Brinkley will probably be on the practice squad

BlitzburghRockCity
08-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Macho Harris was signed today by the Steelers.

K Train
08-17-2011, 10:40 AM
i really do like the signing, no arguments here. hes a good fit

connecticutsteel
08-17-2011, 10:58 AM
He's too short

K Train
08-17-2011, 11:00 AM
yeah maybe as a replacement for brian dawkins he was, as a zone corner hes not too short or small at all. 6-0? come on now

Blazedby92
08-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Too short, LOL
6ft is probably taller or as tall as most of WR in the NFL

TampaSteelGirl
08-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Draft info from 2009 (http://dcprosportsreport.com/2010/11/23/redskins-sign-s-macho-harris/)

Pros: Harris is a natural football player and is solid at most aspects of the game. He has great instincts and awareness on the field; a solid all-around corner that loves to make big hits on receivers and running backs. He looks extremely comfortable in zone and reads the quarterback very well. Even though he does not have great acceleration, Harris shows big-time playing making ability with the ball in his hands. He is elusive and makes quick, fluid cuts with great vision. He is a dangerous return man that has experience playing wide receiver.

Cons: He lacks the open field speed scouts love corners to have. He can be overly aggressive both in coverage and tackling. Will jump short routes he shouldn’t, and often goes for the knock out hit instead of the sure tackle. Definitely needs to play in a zone coverage scheme. He could end up being moved to free safety due to his lack of speed and quickness in coverage.
Scouts Take: Harris is a gifted playmaker, racking up 15 interceptions over the last three years at Virginia Tech. He plays with the swagger and knowledge NFL teams love defensive backs to have, and opposing teams fear. Despite his lack of speed, the former Hokie is comfortable with the ball in his hands and will at least get a shot as a returner—a potentially dynamic playmaker. If he is put in the right defensive scheme, he could develop into a star corner for his NFL team. If he struggles at corner, he has the ability to move to free safety and could be a ball-hawk. Harris has second-round ability, but could fall to later rounds because of his lack of measurables. The team that drafts him will have some work to do and decisions to make, but they will be getting one of the best all-around defensive backs in this draft.

Don't like that your paragraph of cons is longer then the pros....:crying:

HUNT4SEVEN
08-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Pros: Harris is a natural football player and is solid at most aspects of the game. He has great instincts and awareness on the field; a solid all-around corner that loves to make big hits on receivers and running backs. He looks extremely comfortable in zone and reads the quarterback very well. Even though he does not have great acceleration, Harris shows big-time playing making ability with the ball in his hands. He is elusive and makes quick, fluid cuts with great vision. He is a dangerous return man that has experience playing wide receiver. If this is true about him,looks like we might have something , because we play alot of zone coverage, i think it is a great fit, plus i like how he breaks on the ball.

Farrior Fan
08-17-2011, 06:53 PM
I just want a guy that can cover for 3 or 4 seconds so that our LBs can get to the qb and at least make him rush a throw. Thats why Ike is perfect for our system. Sure it would be great if he would make a pick and return it sometimes but we simply do not need that. Hell if Troy were healthy you could put almost anyone out there at CB and have Troy float around the #2 receiver, QBs hate throwing near 43 because they know there is always a good chance of him returning for a TD (just ask his college roommate). Get healthy Troy!