PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians contemplated retirement this offseason

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks to guys like Ben Roethlisberger, he's back in 2011. Ooooooh boy!

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians considered retiring after the Super Bowl but decided against it after talking to several people close to him. One was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The two spent time together in Georgia shortly after the Super Bowl.

"Ben and I were sitting on the porch, and he just kept bringing up young names, saying, 'You don't really want to leave these guys yet, do you?' " Arians said Monday. "It had been four weeks (since the Super Bowl) at that point. My wife was like, 'You're going back to work.' I said, 'All right, we'll do it.' I'm really looking forward to it."
Arians, 58, is a prostate cancer survivor. Though he has a clean bill of health, he said his "health history the past few years" and that he became eligible for retirement made him consider stepping down.

That thought is far from his mind at the moment, though.
"This young group," Arians said, "might make we want to do this for a while."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%27%20Arians%20contemplated%20his%20retire ment%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751748.html#ixzz1VDM3a9G1)

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Let's try and keep the Arians hate to a minimum here, not that it will happen though, lol.

I know Arians has been contemplating retirement for quite awhile now so who knows how long it will last.

steelersbabex25
08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
No Arians, retire! Really! The fans will understand!

steelchamp204
08-16-2011, 01:39 PM
gj Ben, draw plays on 3rd and goal with Moore will get it done

coldrolled
08-16-2011, 01:41 PM
No Wonder why the OL doesnt protect Ben...

Rampage
08-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Whenever I saw this on the main page it just said, "Bruce Arians contemplated..." so I figured it would be suicide.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 01:45 PM
As long as Ben is the QB on this team, Arians will be the coordinator as long he wants.

V_83
08-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Come on BA, take one for the team.

Retire.

K Train
08-16-2011, 01:50 PM
what a ****ing tease!

LatrobePA
08-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Should of retired after his Cleveland days...Fn BUMMMMMMMMMMMM!

TampaSteelGirl
08-16-2011, 02:31 PM
:pray:

Raleigh Steel
08-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Q: what do arians' wife and steeler nation have in common?

A: neither want arians around

LatrobePA
08-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Q: what do arians' wife and steeler nation have in common?

A: neither want arians around

I heard the guy was hung like a horse and was retiring to go into adult acting...

Black@Gold Forever32
08-16-2011, 02:48 PM
The offense if the OL is up to par will be awesome this year......I don't think BA is Bill Walsh by any means but he isn't as bad as most make him out to be......Its the players fault at times to for the offense sputtering.....

Rampage
08-16-2011, 03:01 PM
I heard the guy was hung like a horse and was retiring to go into adult acting...

No. He's as smart as a horse and acts like a dolt.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 03:29 PM
The offense if the OL is up to par will be awesome this year......I don't think BA is Bill Walsh by any means but he isn't as bad as most make him out to be......Its the players fault at times to for the offense sputtering.....

BA will always be despised by most people because of the horrible play calls at the absolute worst time possible. Overall though his gameplans aren't bad and the Steelers players can definitely be considered at fault as much as he is. If he could find a way to not screw up at key points in the game he might actually gain enough respect around the league to garner some offers from other teams, LOL.

Seriously though, I've always said his play calling drives me nuts at those bad times but generally speaking he's not that bad.

Big T
08-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians considered retiring after the Super Bowl but decided against it after talking to several people close to him. One was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The two spent time together in Georgia shortly after the Super Bowl.

Why the f*ck was Ben in Georgia again? Jesus Christ lol

Rampage
08-16-2011, 03:49 PM

There are some really nice bathrooms there that he likes to visit.

LatrobePA
08-16-2011, 03:52 PM
BA's TV was broke Ben was there to "fix" it!

Hell I wish he would of talked to me!!

Zachintosh66
08-16-2011, 04:29 PM
remember that 12 hour window when we though Bruce got fired... rumors spread like wild fire... that was a great 12 hours

steelersbabex25
08-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Seriously though, I've always said his play calling drives me nuts at those bad times but generally speaking he's not that bad.

It just takes one draw play to Mewelde Moore at your own 3 yard line to make an entire fanbase want you dead..

K Train
08-16-2011, 04:51 PM

overall gameplans and critical time play calls leave so much to be desired....just because were stuck with him doesnt mean we have to justify his poor, extremely predictable gameplans and playcalling. the steelers win in his gameplan because of #7, not arians, not his scheme, not his 3-8 TEs on the field at any given time, not his play calling. Ben does one hell of a job making things happen from nothing and that and imo that alone is able to mask arians deficiencies enough to make him look less than terrible sometimes.

hes a bottom 5 OC, theres a reason he gains ZERO interest througout the league while running a seemingly successful offense in pittsburgh. Hell wiz was getting a ton of attention in half the body of work, and imo he wasnt even that good outside of a few trick plays

PsychoWard
08-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Why did you even post this :thud: I would delete it if it were anyone else :hehheh:

coldrolled
08-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Why did you even post this :thud: I would delete it if it were anyone else :hehheh:

this keeps are mind off the 7 CB's with bad Hamstrings... :yesnod:

Farrior Fan
08-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Ben loves the fact that he can sling the ball 55 yards on a 3rd and 1.

Ben in GA.....wtf

Raleigh Steel
08-16-2011, 08:40 PM
overall gameplans and critical time play calls leave so much to be desired....just because were stuck with him doesnt mean we have to justify his poor, extremely predictable gameplans and playcalling. the steelers win in his gameplan because of #7, not arians, not his scheme, not his 3-8 TEs on the field at any given time, not his play calling. Ben does one hell of a job making things happen from nothing and that and imo that alone is able to mask arians deficiencies enough to make him look less than terrible sometimes.

hes a bottom 5 OC, theres a reason he gains ZERO interest througout the league while running a seemingly successful offense in pittsburgh. Hell wiz was getting a ton of attention in half the body of work, and imo he wasnt even that good outside of a few trick plays

to go along with that...how many successful plays are plays that are actually designed vs how they come on the heels of a broken play, or ben pulling something out of his arse. ben gets slammed for "holding on to the ball too long"...but this is more than not, untrue. he holds the ball too long because nobody is open, or guys are still running their route.

steelersbabex25
08-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Ben loves the fact that he can sling the ball 55 yards on a 3rd and 1.

Ben in GA.....wtf

"The devil went down to Georgia" never rang more true.

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Sometimes I contemplate belly button hair. Hmmmn.

jpele
08-16-2011, 09:30 PM

:plus1:

--- Added 8/16/2011 at 08:30 PM ---

There was actually one game that made me a believer in Arians I thought the world of him. It was the playoff game against the Browns.

They couldn't run on us but didn't need to as they were picking us apart through the air , then Bruce being Bruce decided the heck with it ,we're going to run it down their throat. Then and there I thought Arians was the best thing to ever happen to the Steelers.

Never in my wildest dreams did i ever think he'd wind up coaching here. :evilshake:

steelersbabex25
08-16-2011, 09:38 PM
There was actually one game that made me a believer in Arians I thought the world of him. It was the playoff game against the Browns.

And every other game made you want to shoot him in the face.

HUNT4SEVEN
08-16-2011, 10:22 PM

:clap::clap::clap: thank u well said...

STEELyourface
08-17-2011, 05:08 AM
I had hoped that when Wiz left for the Cards they'd try to get Mularkey to come back to town. Was I alone in that thought?

coldrolled
08-17-2011, 07:22 AM
actually one game that made me a believer in Arians I thought the world of him. It was the playoff game against the Browns.

The logical problem with Arians is the fact that when we play the top teams with Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees we have a rough time winning..

we blame the defense for not stopping the best offenses... but in reality, this is when arians needs to dial up the points... so we have a shot at a win by scoring more than the other team. he only has to make a super plan for 5 out of 16 games against the top QB's...

he can not pull that off... we just cant hold every team down under 20 points.

we need to score and have an actual plan to score 35+ points to beat the best teams with our offense, we have the QB for it. arians cant do it...

cmerrifield
08-17-2011, 07:58 AM
There is no reason we cannot put up 30-35 points every game with this offense. The problem, as I see it, is that Tomlin isnt a schemer of a head coach. He is the "we will force our will on the opposing team" head coach. So game plans and out smarting and surprising the other team is not high on Tomlin's priority list. He thinks, if we want to run against the best run defense in the league, we can. If we want to pass against the best pass defense, we can. We just need to do a better job than the opponent. I think there is some truth in Tomlin's method, but coming up with a good game plan would certainly help.

steelersbabex25
08-17-2011, 09:28 AM
There is no reason we cannot put up 30-35 points every game with this offense. The problem, as I see it, is that Tomlin isnt a schemer of a head coach. He is the "we will force our will on the opposing team" head coach. So game plans and out smarting and surprising the other team is not high on Tomlin's priority list. He thinks, if we want to run against the best run defense in the league, we can. If we want to pass against the best pass defense, we can. We just need to do a better job than the opponent. I think there is some truth in Tomlin's method, but coming up with a good game plan would certainly help.

Yeah, I'm sure it's Tomin that tells Brucie to run a WR screen 5 times a series.

Farrior Fan
08-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I'm sure it's Tomin that tells Brucie to run a WR screen 5 times a series.

He loves that screen on 3rd and 19...of course if its 3rd and inches look out for the bomb to Wallace.

K Train
08-17-2011, 09:41 AM
He loves that screen on 3rd and 19...of course if its 3rd and inches look out for the bomb to Wallace.

thats the best in madden though haha

cmerrifield
08-17-2011, 10:47 AM

That's not what I said. I said Tomlin doesn't necessarily put a high emphasis on game plans or out-thinking their opponent. That is why he keeps BA around. I bet Tomlin would say that if they run a WR screen 5 times in a series, it should be successful 5 times. Tomlin is all about forcing your will on the opponent.

STEELyourface
08-17-2011, 01:17 PM
That's not what I said. I said Tomlin doesn't necessarily put a high emphasis on game plans or out-thinking their opponent. That is why he keeps BA around. I bet Tomlin would say that if they run a WR screen 5 times in a series, it should be successful 5 times. Tomlin is all about forcing your will on the opponent.

I think I get what you're saying. I think that sounds like a logical explanation of Tomlin's thought process. Basically, Tomlin is confident in the guys' abilities to execute and/or overpower the other teams' D regardless of how simple the game plan or play call is.

Is that what you're saying or am I just way off? Either way, I agree with your theory.

cmerrifield
08-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Exactly what I am saying.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

steelersbabex25
08-17-2011, 04:05 PM
thats the best in madden though haha

Well since Madden is where BA gets most of his plays from...

Ibleedblk&gld
08-17-2011, 04:11 PM
BA's playbook has an "Ask Madden" option?

steelersbabex25
08-17-2011, 04:16 PM

:yesnod: And it says, "the team with the most points will win the game."

Farrior Fan
08-17-2011, 05:47 PM

:lol:

You just know he stays up all night playing Madden. He picks the long bomb and then waits .2 seconds before T. Suggs is about to hit Ben and chucks it long to Wallace. On Defense I bet he plays prevent every down.

Ibleedblk&gld
08-17-2011, 06:16 PM
:lol:

You just know he stays up all night playing Madden. He picks the long bomb and then waits .2 seconds before T. Suggs is about to hit Ben and chucks it long to Wallace. On Defense I bet he plays prevent every down.

if he plays prevent, i sure as hell hope gay is better on the game than IRL...

UKSTEELER
08-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Ben's racking up some dumb stuff over the period of his stay with us . . .

but talking BA out of retirement? That's goin straight to the top of my list!

:rant2: