PDA

View Full Version : Crezdon Butler, Cortez Allen continue to miss valuable time

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Both players figured to compete for significant roles in the secondary, but so far neither has played in the first preseason game and now they won't play vs. the Eagles as well. Butler has a quad injury and Allen, a hamstring.

Combine that with McFadden being out and the Steelers secondary, cornerback wise, will be a musical chairs scenario again. Ike is also out with this thumb for the rest of the preseason most likely.

I know I was really looking forward to seeing what Crezdon was going to do in camp this year and I wanted to see him have a strong preseason. He's missed a good portion of camp so far, as has Allen. Given the situation at CB for this team with so many young guys fighting for roster spots, it's going to be harder for them even more now to show the coaches what they have. More so with Cortez though, being a rookie.

LatrobePA
08-16-2011, 12:38 PM
This is why I can't believe the team didn't fight, scratch and claw to bring in some vet help...

Rampage
08-16-2011, 12:45 PM
At least we have Gay.

LatrobePA
08-16-2011, 12:47 PM
At least we have Gay.

True..:stirpot:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Butler's spot will still probably be secured, he showed enough last year to warrant keeping him around. Cortez Allen though, he's got talent but hasn't been able to do much in camp, and in this tight race nobody is given anything. Hopefully they can both return for the 3rd game.

coldrolled
08-16-2011, 12:57 PM
True..:stirpot:

Browns are going to the SB after beating GB. And Buster Skrine the CB is a big hit at camp.. he was the speediest of all CB's in this draft. he actully bats balls out of the WR's hands.

TampaSteelGirl
08-16-2011, 12:58 PM
At least we have Gay.

You HAD to go there didn't ya???? :club:

Heck we have 4 CBs out for thursdays game!!!!! :banging:

connecticutsteel
08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Well the first roster cut is coming maybe they cut some pay role and sign a waived vet who knows at least C brown will in the mix and C Butler will make the roster and hpefully still compete for the job

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 01:23 PM
There's liable to be some significant movement once roster cuts start coming down. If Allen can get healthy and start playing he'll have a good shot. He'll survive the first round of cuts I'm sure but after that who knows.

DanRooney
08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure Butler played in the preseason game...

LatrobePA
08-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Browns are going to the SB after beating GB. And Buster Skrine the CB is a big hit at camp.. he was the speediest of all CB's in this draft. he actully bats balls out of the WR's hands.

I was driving through Cinci yesterday and they actually have an ad on the radio promoting bungles training camp, went something like this:

"Dalton hoisting the SB trophy, Bengals are world champs, you seen him first here at camp" I almost drove off the 71/75 OH river bridge!

V_83
08-16-2011, 01:51 PM

I'm not sure for how long, but he did play against Washington.

K Train
08-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Steelers signed macho harris i think, cant quite confirm yet.

thats a good signing imo, i liked him coming out and thought he could easily play CB for us....he was a good player in philly he just didnt have the size to be the FS they wanted him to be

bigplaysteel
08-16-2011, 02:24 PM
If both Ike and BMac are out along with Butler and Allen, that leaves---

1. Curtis Brown--- did not play last week

2. Keenan Lewis---played a lot last week mixed reviews. Uh probably like 52%-48% negative

3. Donovan Warren-- impressed somewhat. Little is known about him. Will be watched.

4. Willie Gay-----vet

5. Niles Brinkley--another UDFA--will probably see more action this week.

The safetys are all available. All are vets, except FS Brett Greenwood. Cromartie-Smith is a 1 yr player.

Who do you think will start at CB? Most likely they will go with Gay and Lewis the more experienced guys. But, me I would start Curtis Brown and Donovan Warren or at least one of them. What a great opportunity to see where these players are really at. No?

Okay, that's not going to happen. I suppose KL deserves another chance to show some improvement. He did maintain his composure last week at least that was a positive. Since day1, I have been with the group that does not expect anything from him. Hope we're wrong.

K Train
08-16-2011, 02:26 PM
warren probably wont play much CB if he makes the team, pretty much strictly a FS.

lewis, meh...i could see him covering a guy like avant or cooper...slower, possesion recievers but he just doesnt have the hips or the quickness to hang with faster guys

TampaSteelGirl
08-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Do you mean Thursday night? I got a text Butler is one of 7 players not playing thursday night against the Eagles.

bigplaysteel
08-16-2011, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=K Train;432198]warren probably wont play much CB if he makes the team, pretty much strictly a FS.

lewis, meh.[that's about it]

There is very little info on Warren. Even nfldraftscout only has some notes on him. He had ankle problems around combine and pro day time.

However, he did play quite a bit in Ike's spot and showed some skills. What is interesting about this is here is a player with no known measureables. No pre-conceived bias as to his speed strength blah blah. This is a chance for us all to evaluate a player on his performance only. [Unfortunately, not seeing the player live does limit this quite a bit] The Eagles certainly have their share of speedy WR's. [who doesn't] Hard to believe DW can stay with and or cover them, but wouldn't that be a pleasant surprise.

K Train
08-16-2011, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=K Train;432198]warren probably wont play much CB if he makes the team, pretty much strictly a FS.

lewis, meh.[that's about it]

There is very little info on Warren. Even nfldraftscout only has some notes on him. He had ankle problems around combine and pro day time.

However, he did play quite a bit in Ike's spot and showed some skills. What is interesting about this is here is a player with no known measureables. No pre-conceived bias as to his speed strength blah blah. This is a chance for us all to evaluate a player on his performance only. [Unfortunately, not seeing the player live does limit this quite a bit] The Eagles certainly have their share of speedy WR's. [who doesn't] Hard to believe DW can stay with and or cover them, but wouldn't that be a pleasant surprise.

lol wut?

he was a first round hopeful as a CB at michigan for a while. timed very poorly and came out a year too soon and went undrafted...he signed with the jets but he wasnt ready for the pros...he would have made himself a lot of money if he stayed at school.

hes not fast but hes always had brilliant instincts and ball skills, he makes up for lack of speed with great angles and overall smarts. wouldnt be the first physically limited FS to make it by on instincts and being a smart football player

JensK
08-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Many had, including myself, a first round tag on Donovan before that horrible off-season of his with those bad workouts.

coldrolled
08-16-2011, 06:41 PM
signing Nnamdi or Joseph looks like a deal with all this nonsense going on with the CB's...

bigplaysteel
08-17-2011, 06:21 AM
[QUOTE=bigplaysteel;432236]

lol wut?

he was a first round hopeful as a CB at michigan for a while. timed very poorly and came out a year too soon and went undrafted...he signed with the jets but he wasnt ready for the pros...he would have made himself a lot of money if he stayed at school.

hes not fast but hes always had brilliant instincts and ball skills, he makes up for lack of speed with great angles and overall smarts. wouldnt be the first physically limited FS to make it by on instincts and being a smart football player

Some of us casual fans do not follow the college game much. Yesterday trying to get some info on him this is what came up on nfldraftscout.com

ame:
College: Number:
Height: Weight:
Position: Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: /2011
40 Time: 40 Low: 40 High:
Projected Round: Stock:
Rated number out of 0 's / 2085 TOTAL

Combine Results

Pro Day Results
Combine Invite:
Height:
Weight:
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash: 225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

Dates:
Height:
Weight:
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash: 225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

then there were the notes about the ankle etc.

But today, a different story this came up on nfldraftscout

me: *Donovan Warren
College: Michigan Number: 6
Height: 6-0 Weight: 193
Position: FS Pos2: CB/KR
Class/Draft Year: Jr/2010
40 Time: 4.62 40 Low: 4.52 40 High: 4.85
Projected Round: 5-6 Stock: High: 4-5/CBorS Low: PFA
Rated number 8 out of 75 FS's 176 / 1992 TOTAL

Combine Results

Pro Day Results
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 5114
Weight: 193
40 Yrd Dash: 4.62
20 Yrd Dash: 2.70
10 Yrd Dash: 1.67 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 12
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump: 09'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:
No full workout, ankle

Dates: 03/12/10
Height: 5114
Weight: 193
40 Yrd Dash: 4.62
20 Yrd Dash: 2.71
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62 225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 31
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.36
3-Cone Drill: 7.21

40 Time Range: 4.62-4.68 (both Pro day 40 runs)
Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 1/19/10: #5 Junior CB, Projected Rd: 2 for the 2011 NFL Draft
2008: 11 GP; 11 GS; PR: 7-26-3.7-0; 36 Sol-52 TT, 3.5 TFL, 1 INT, 4 PBU, 1 FF; Started 10 games at cornerback and one contest at free safety ... matched career high from freshman year with 52 tackles ... recorded 3.5 tackles for loss, five pass breakups, one interception and one fumble recovery ...2007: 13 GP; 11 GS; PR: 5-23-4.6-0; 35 Sol-52 TT, 1.5 TFL, 1 INT, 5 PBU, 2 FR, 1 FF; Earned first varsity letter ... The Sporting News Freshman All-America first team ... CollegeFootballNews.com Freshman All-America first team ... The Sporting News Big Ten Defensive Freshman of the Year ... named to The Sporting News Freshman All-Big Ten team ... played in all 13 games and started 11 contests at cornerback ... tied for seventh on the team with 52 tackles, 1.5 tackle for loss, one sack, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries, one interception and six pass breakups ... godson of former USC safety and Chicago Bears safety Mark Carrier ... uncle, Chuckie Miller, played for the Indianapolis Colts ... father, Alvin, played football at New Mexico State.
*Donovan Warren/Michigan football Video

Interesting the Steelers are trying this player at CB. On the roster only Ryan Clark and UDFA Brett Greenwood are listed as FA's.

How I read this is #3 is up for grabs. And no, I am not down on Willie Gay. It's just that he is too good as the nickel back. In 09 he was the best according to Football Outsiders, and very good in 2010 when played there. So that leaves #3 up to C. Brown, D. Warren, C. Allen, C. Butler, Niles Brinkley and if none of them can play K. Lewis is it by default. Gadzooks!