View Full Version : John Clay walks off practice field

connecticutsteel
08-15-2011, 06:22 PM
He was talked out of quitting by staff he returned for drills. Good bye Mr Clay

LatrobePA
08-15-2011, 06:51 PM
MONDAY, AUGUST 15, 2011

Dwyer a big winner

Unless the Steelers make a move to sign a running back who gets cut loose in the next couple of weeks, Jonathan Dwyer has likely made this team.

The season-ending knee injury to Baron Batch last week made that a strong possibility, but rookie John Clay walking out of practice Monday all but assured it.

Clay was eventually talked into coming back onto the practice field, but you can bet the coaching staff isn't happy with him.

Of course, Clay probably sees the writing on the wall. He hasn't been too impressive in camp and was equally blah in the team's first preseson game at Washington.

So that leaves Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman, Mewelde Moore and … Dwyer.

The Steelers will be watching the waiver wire closely if someone interesting gets cut loose. And no, that somebody will not be Tiki Barber.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Wow, you actually are going to take the chance of a lifetime and throw it away like that? When Batch went down that should have been even more motivation for Clay to take this opportunity and run with it. There's no reason he couldn't have unseated Dwyer, if actually tried.

I'm sure the coaches are not happy right now with this situation, almost having their hand forced into keeping Dwyer.

LarryNJ
08-15-2011, 08:58 PM
They will pick someone up before they keep Dwyer, and I guess they talked Clay into staying just so the defense would have someone to tackle. :)

SteelerCountry58
08-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Have fun in the Arena League Mr. Clay.:clap:
A "man" walking away and being talked back onto the field
like a little child tell's you volumes about this dude. Thanks for coming,bye.

jpele
08-15-2011, 09:07 PM
I guess they talked Clay into staying just so the defense would have someone to tackle. :)

Gives a new meaning to the word " tackling dummy".

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-15-2011, 09:58 PM
What would've Mike Webster said? Today vs Yesterday.
http://2noyb.home.comcast.net/Bug.gif

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2011, 10:33 PM
He's screwing himself out of chances to latch on to another team now too. Once the rest of the league finds out his got a quitter attitude they aren't going to want him. You just can't squander an opportunity like this. Honestly it kind of makes me mad, any one of us would give our right arm at a chance to play for an NFL franchise and live a dream (if that is your dream), and make the kind of money that even backups make in the league.

connecticutsteel
08-15-2011, 11:36 PM
I guess we know why he wasn't drafted

coldrolled
08-16-2011, 03:56 AM
maybe he was hoping for a FB spot... Him and BA had a fight?

he is 250 right? oh ya .. we dont need a Fb, we have TE/FB/Cant Block Johnson...

TampaSteelGirl
08-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Wow! Guess he expected to show up and start...even with a bad camp. :grin1:

Rampage
08-16-2011, 11:48 AM
SAY IT AIN'T SO!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 12:29 PM
FWIW, Clay did go back and finish out the day, what little of it there was left after walking off. He is also out there practicing today with the team.

connecticutsteel
08-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Well the report came from Ed Bouchette so i figured they was something to it

coldrolled
08-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Kirby Wilson told Clay to leave after making a mistake and Clay thought he meant go to locker room.

Clay walked towards the lockerroom and was tracked down by a Steelers staffer and told to return. Clay returned for the end of drills and even ran with the running backs after practice and even did his daily duty of carrying in shoulder pads of teammates.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Kirby Wilson is the Steelers running backs coach. If that's the case then hopefully can put that behind him and give Dwyer a run for his money. I'll be watching him on Thursday night, hopefully he can show the coaches he's got something.