PDA

View Full Version : NFL officials will affect Roethlisberger's escapability?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2011, 06:06 PM
I noticed in the preseason game vs. the Redskins, that when Ben was in the game a he was in the middle of one of his patented escapes when he was called "in the grass" by the Referee.

Now, the officials do call preseason games somewhat tight simply because players are rusty, just working their way back, and everyone is trying to get familiar with new rule changes. Plus they try and eliminate the possibility of player injuries, which is where things could change for Ben in 2011.

Ben has made a living of escaping the grasp of would be tacklers. We all remember Roethlisberger evading Terrell Suggs to save field position by throwing it away. Pick any game since Ben has been to the Steelers and you're liable to find a play where he gets away from the defender and makes a positive play.

Given the new rules that the officials are going to have to enforce this year with defenseless players in particular, they are liable to start calling "in the grass" a lot quicker than they used too, which could potentially adversely affect some of the big plays that Ben has made on the fly.

Rampage
08-15-2011, 06:12 PM
I thought that one was more to protect him. The guys were down around his legs, so I think the refs were trying to do him a favor. I doubt they whistle that early in the regular season.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm sure it was to protect him, maybe they blew it alittle early or maybe not. Either way judging by that call and some others I noticed in preseason so far, along with the new rules changes you have to wonder if they are going to be more tight in calling sacks this year.

Rampage
08-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Could be beneficial, I suppose. If they are going to be that wimpy with Ben, I guess two hand touches on Brady or Manning will count as sacks. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Yeah it's a two edged sword, the Steelers players may get credit for sacks quicker than they did in the past, lol. Or they might just throw the flag against Harrison as soon as the ball is snapped to avoid him getting any sacks at all, lol.

Ben has been known the throw the ball away, or better yet complete a pass to a receiver in the flat to avoid the sack. If they do call it closer this year he might not get those chances. We'll have to wait and see.

LatrobePA
08-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Throw it away (towards BA if at all possible)!

SteelerCountry58
08-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Here's a better idea: GET BEN SOME O-LINE HELP!!!!:rant2:
That way he won't have to be running for his life every other play call.:cursin:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure Ben would know how to play if he wasn't running for his life, LOL. It sounds funny but he's so used to having to improvise that it's become a big part of his game. There's no other QB in the league that could survive under the pressure that he's endured from the guys up front. He's taken his game to a level that fits what the Steelers need to have done on the field; get rid of the ball and make the play at all costs.

Some of his most memorable plays have come under less than ideal circumstances. Anybody can stand in the pocket and deliver strikes down field all day long. Ben does it behind a tinfoil offensive line, and excels at it.

coldrolled
08-16-2011, 03:43 AM
That way he won't have to be running for his life every other play call.:cursin:

:cope::cope::cope::cope::cope:

you can still smack BA upside the head.. :lol:

steelersbabex25
08-16-2011, 10:47 AM
I think we'll be ok. It's not like in the past the refs have seemed like they want to keep Ben safe anyway. *ahem* broken nose *ahem* no flag.

uBYdPuPV5Nk

TampaSteelGirl
08-16-2011, 11:18 AM

NOw that would be the BETTER way to approach this reoccuring problem! :yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-18-2011, 11:33 PM
It happened again the Eagles game. Ben was scrambling to his left and was under pressure, got the ball away, but the officials called him in the grass. I'm telling you if they keep this up it's going to be bad news in the regular season.

steelersbabex25
08-19-2011, 03:43 AM
Yeah I saw that one or two times in the quarter or so that I watched. I maintain that it's just because of preseason until they start calling that **** in the regular season.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I keep telling myself that too, but I just have a bad feeling it's going to happen once the regular season starts. I hope I'm wrong though. Imagine all the big 3rd down conversions that would be lost if they call Ben, "in the grass", as soon as he's touched.

Rampage
08-19-2011, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. What I was pissed about was that douche safety for the Eagles who took three steps into Ben after he got rid of the ball and then went for the knees on one of the running backs a few plays later.

STEELyourface
08-19-2011, 12:45 PM
I noticed those calls in both preseason games also. As others have said, I do think they are calling it quicker now for two reasons. 1.- it is the preseason 2.- calling it quicker will allow everyone to adjust a little easier once the season actually starts.

I think Refs won't be as quick to call "in the grass" in the regular season. I think you are right though, there will be a time or two when it does prevent Ben from making a play and it will no doubt **** us all off but I think after it happens once it will be brought to the attention of the league office and they will get it sorted out.

It almost needs hurry up and happen in the 1st game so Tomlin can discuss it post game and the officials are told to keep an eye on that, especially with Ben's style of play.