PDA

View Full Version : Which role will Jerricho Cotchery fill for the Steelers?

connecticutsteel
08-14-2011, 11:30 PM
I know that we have Antonio Brown and Manny Sanders . they still need one more season to fully blossom and with Sweed failing to pan out in camp I think Cotchery is poised to have ahuge year for the Steelers . He's a great route runner with speed but most of all he wants to win and has a great work ethic . He was also not so complimentary of the ravens which i thought was great .There are several You Tube tributes too him check them out you will be impressed .:cope::banana::greenbounce2::yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-15-2011, 12:13 AM
No he doesn't compare to Holmes at all......Cotchery averages 12 yards a catch for his career while Holmes averages 16........Cotchery 18 career TD's and Holmes has 26.....Holmes is the most electric and dangerous WR after the catch in the NFL.....If anything Sanders and Brown compare more to Holmes......Both offer things Holmes can do but both can't do it all like Holmes.....It will take both of those young WR's to replace Holmes really....Cotchery is a poor man's version of Hines Ward really.......

connecticutsteel
08-15-2011, 01:17 AM
I'm not comparing the two guys statistics . I was saying that Holmes's role on the Steelers is being filled by Cotchery perfectly . He is slightly bigger than Holmes.He has good hands and speed . Hines was never as fast as Cotchery . All i was saying is that we needed a veteran WR and Cotchery fills that roll well . Plus he never let his fans or teammates down by being selfish and stupid and by doing drugs

DanRooney
08-15-2011, 01:26 AM
lol wut

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Cotchery is going to be one of those guys that will see action if one of the starters gets hurt. If all Ward, Wallace, Brown, and Sanders all stay healthy for the entire season, Cotchery won't see the field much at all, IMO. Now, if one of those 4 goes down he'll be the first one to step in and also when Arians does go to a 5 WR set you'll probably see Jerricho in there.

This kid makes his living doing a lot of what Hines Ward does, he's very reliable on 3rd down and when the game is on the line.

LatrobePA
08-15-2011, 09:47 AM
I think he'll see some playing time.

connecticutsteel
08-15-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't think so i think Sanders foot is worse than they thought it should be healed by now. Hines keeps talking about needing another veteran and they got one . If you remember ARE was a starter at the beginning of last year . The other angle is that their will be some kind of suspension for ward . If that is the case he will see plenty of time plus BA uses 4 wr often and he will split time with Hines . The last point is Cotchery is better than people think he is

TampaSteelGirl
08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
I don't think so i think Sanders foot is worse than they thought it should be healed by now. Hines keeps talking about needing another veteran and they got one . If you remember ARE was a starter at the beginning of last year . The other angle is that their will be some kind of suspension for ward . If that is the case he will see plenty of time plus BA uses 4 wr often and he will split time with Hines . The last point is Cotchery is better than people think he is

Hope Manny is snoozing in Hines's hyperbaric chamber a time or 2. :grin1:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-15-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm not comparing the two guys statistics . I was saying that Holmes's role on the Steelers is being filled by Cotchery perfectly . He is slightly bigger than Holmes.He has good hands and speed . Hines was never as fast as Cotchery . All i was saying is that we needed a veteran WR and Cotchery fills that roll well . Plus he never let his fans or teammates down by being selfish and stupid and by doing drugs

Forget about stats....You said Cotchery will fill Holme's role in the offense and all I'm saying he won't since he doesn't have the same physical gifts that Holmes is blessed with.....Holmes is a beast after the catch and Cotchery isn't......Nothing against Cotchery but he just isn't that electric with the ball in his hands.......Holmes runs the best quick slant in the NFL and I don't think Cotchery is on Holmes level there either....

Rampage
08-15-2011, 12:39 PM
I always thought Cotchery was more like Ward. :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Holmes role was filled by Mike Wallace, who has already begun to show he can take his game as high as he wants. Sanders and Brown should take big steps this year in solidifying their future on the team.

With Ward only having another year or 2 left most likely, the more experience all these guys can get the better.

Cotchery will be the "Hines Ward" if Ward were to go down, atleast that's how I think of it. Similar play styles, tough, not afraid to go across the middle, and can block.

K Train
08-15-2011, 02:21 PM
lol. at best he brings the same less than average production ward does.

and brown and sanders needing another full season to "blossum"? based on what? they were sensational as rookies and brown looks to have taken that to a new level this year. sanders remains to be seen but even though im not his biggest fan i think he'll be fine.

this is another randel el situation, any time cotchery keeps brown and sanders off the field im just gonna be pissed off and annoyed

LatrobePA
08-15-2011, 02:26 PM
I think it's a safe bet to say Brown could end up being the best WR on the team..

I like the toughness jerricho will bring and I can see him making some tough 1st downs but I agree there is way too much young blood ahead of him.

Rampage
08-15-2011, 02:28 PM

and brown and sanders needing another full season to "blossum"? based on what? they were sensational as rookies and brown looks to have taken that to a new level this year. sanders remains to be seen but even though im not his biggest fan i think he'll be fine.

this is another randel el situation, any time cotchery keeps brown and sanders off the field im just gonna be pissed off and annoyed

I think someone is a little disappointed the team cut ARE.

connecticutsteel
08-15-2011, 04:12 PM

this is another randel el situation, any time cotchery keeps brown and sanders off the field im just gonna be pissed off and annoyed16 catches from brown is sensational ? I agree that they are more talented than cotchery i never said he was more talented than holmes,brown ward or sanders what im saying is we will be surprised what cotchery can do he hasn't been happy in new york for years so i think what ever time he gets he will raise his game and he will fit in the role he isn't gonna take time from the young money he will split time with ward

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Why did you have to bring up Santonio? I'm still mad (and always will be) that we traded him. :(

cmerrifield
08-15-2011, 04:15 PM

Good news Train, he didnt sign right away with us because all we offered was 5th WR in the depth chart and he wanted more. So, I dont see him getting playing time over Brown or Sanders unless they have a Sophomore slump or injuries.

connecticutsteel
08-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Why did you have to bring up Santonio? I'm still mad (and always will be) that we traded him. :(You should be mad at Santonio he chose to smoke drugs instead of thinking about his fans

K Train
08-15-2011, 05:02 PM
16 catches from brown is sensational ? I agree that they are more talented than cotchery i never said he was more talented than holmes,brown ward or sanders what im saying is we will be surprised what cotchery can do he hasn't been happy in new york for years so i think what ever time he gets he will raise his game and he will fit in the role he isn't gonna take time from the young money he will split time with ward

16 catches doesnt seem like a lot but when he was on the field he played great, even on plays that he didnt get the ball i think he should have gotten more looks there were several key times he was open and the playcalling was some terrible play to moore or randel el....you dont have to agree with me butyou dont have to watch brown very much to see that theres somethign about him, but you DO have to at least give him the chance and actually watch him, not just 16 times when he has the ball

connecticutsteel
08-15-2011, 05:08 PM
16 catches doesnt seem like a lot but when he was on the field he played great, even on plays that he didnt get the ball i think he should have gotten more looks there were several key times he was open and the playcalling was some terrible play to moore or randel el....you dont have to agree with me butyou dont have to watch brown very much to see that theres somethign about him, but you DO have to at least give him the chance and actually watch him, not just 16 times when he has the ball I AGREE he's is special he's gonna blow up this year cotchery won't take time away from the young money he will shuttle with ward

cbyzerman
08-15-2011, 05:15 PM
You should be banned from this forum for even metioning the 2 in the same sentence.

If Holmes was still playing with pitt he would be a future hofmer. His skills are second to none. For the life of me I do not know why he stayed in NY to play with 1 of the worse qbacks in the league.

Ibleedblk&gld
08-15-2011, 05:23 PM
I lost all kinds of respect for holmes at last year's steelers/jets game in the regular season...after they won, he came back on the field and taunted the fans...I'm pretty damn sure 99% of the fans didn't want that trade to happen...nonetheless, I'll always be butt hurt that we got rid of him

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-15-2011, 05:40 PM
You should be mad at Santonio he chose to smoke drugs instead of thinking about his fansYea he made mistakes but trading him was flat out DUMB. I agree with MOST of the FO's moves but he was our Superbowl MVP. he wasn't just an average receiver you can get anywhere.

connecticutsteel
08-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Ben should have been MVP

Rampage
08-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Ben should have been MVP

If another receiver would have made some of those catches, he would have received it. Holmes just got open and stayed there during that game. Still, I could have seen it going either way in the voting.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2011, 07:36 PM
This should help clear things up a bit...

The way Jerricho Cotchery tells it, he should have no trouble meshing with teammates who share a blue-collar sensibility.

"My game is not pretty; it's not cute. My game is to get the job done," Cotchery, the Steelers' latest addition, said Sunday at St. Vincent College. "Whatever I have to do to help this team win the Super Bowl, I'm all for it."

It is fitting that Cotchery plans to take a Hines Ward approach at his second NFL stop. The Steelers signed Cotchery to a one-year contract to provide experience at wide receiver along with Ward, their most tenured player. Cotchery, who was released by the New York Jets earlier this month, is also something of an insurance policy.

The Steelers shut down Emmanuel Sanders early in training camp so he could fully from offseason surgery on his left foot. Following a recent minor surgical procedure done to expedite the healing process, Sanders had said he hoped to play in the Steelers' final two preseason games.

Yesterday, the second-year receiver said he hopes to return for the Steelers' preseason finale Sept. 1 in Carolina.

"The worst thing I can do in this situation is go and rush it and re-break my foot, and then it being a lingering injury during the season," said Sanders, who had surgery during the offseason to correct a stress fracture in his left foot. "The X-rays are showing that the bone is starting to fill in, so I can't wish for anything better."
Cotchery, who is heading into his eighth NFL season, said pretty much the same thing about the Steelers.

The 6-foot, 203-pounder visited St. Vincent last Sunday. By the time he left, Cotchery knew he wanted to join the Steelers even though he is assured of nothing beyond a spot in the wide receivers rotation.

Cotchery said he visited the Ravens only as a formality, and he arrived in Latrobe on Saturday after agreeing to terms with the Steelers last Thursday.
"I was talking to (free safety) Ryan Clark how I used to watch the interviews and I used to hear guys talk about, 'We do things a certain way over here.' And I always wondered what they were talking about," Cotchery said before his first practice with the Steelers. "And I came here on my visit, and I got it. Everyone's close here, and it's easy to work in and you're going to get better."

Cotchery has 353 career receptions -- 210 more than Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Sanders combined. That total doesn't include the 4-yard touchdown catch Cotchery made against the Steelers in last season's AFC Championship Game.
His signing has been heartily endorsed by the Steelers' wide receivers, even though it may create a bit of a logjam when everyone is healthy.

"The more competition, the better," Wallace said. "He's a versatile guy; I think you can put him anywhere."

Cotchery had surgery during the offseason to correct a herniated disc. He said he has made a full recovery and that he's been running at full speed since last month.
Cotchery said the opportunity to play for a perennial Super Bowl contender drew him to the Steelers. He had been with a team that is on the cusp of reaching the Super Bowl, but Cotchery requested his release after the Jets signed Plaxico Burress.
"Future-wise, I didn't really see myself fitting in (with the Jets)," Cotchery said.
The Steelers had also courted Burress, and Cotchery is hoping to show them that he is anything but a consolation prize after they couldn't land him.

"This atmosphere is what I need right now," Cotchery said. "Nothing is given to you over here. You've got to come in, work your tail off and earn your stripes."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Cotchery%20settles%20in%20at%20camp%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751594.html#ixzz1V8xwdqBu)

LatrobePA
08-15-2011, 07:48 PM
The dude has it...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 08:18 PM
The big thing that makes me more excited about Cotchery is his big game ability. He's a clutch guy, not afraid to go up and make the grab in traffic, and he's played in big games. He knows he'll have to work hard in practice and even in the short time he's been with the team so far he's impressed the coaches.

igor0190
08-16-2011, 09:07 PM
He obviously came here for all the right reasons....
In fact whenever Pittsburgh signs a free agent they have to be a high character guy, because it's very rare the Steelers will break the bank for anyone they didn't draft.

DanRooney
08-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Cotchery is exactly like Ward. Great hands, good route runner, no speed and no real threat outside an occasional first down.

STEELyourface
08-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Cotchery IS going to help us out. At the very least, the veteran experience and "tricks" he can pass along to the youngsters is going to be beneficial.

I think we can all agree that we were definitely lacking experience in the Super Bowl. I'm not saying you can blame any one person and Ben certainly wasn't his typical self either, but experience certainly would have helped (even bailed our offense out) in several key times throughout the game.

I really think Cotchery is going to be productive for us and certainly adds depth. They don't need him to come in and set the world on fire, any production the offense gets from him (especially considering how little he is costing the team) is an added bonus that wasn't there last year. I'm certainly glad I won't have to see Sweed on the field, aren't you?

He really does seem to fit the Steeler persona and we can never have too many of those type of guys around. I look for him to help us out with some of those "tough yard" a receiver can pick up in the red zone too.

connecticutsteel
08-17-2011, 12:00 AM
Cotchery is exactly like Ward. Great hands, good route runner, no speed and no real threat outside an occasional first down.I agree with everything but the speed hines ward ran a 4.7 40 cotchery runs a 4.5 Antonio Brown runs a 4.5 . Cotchery doesn't have a burst but can run in traffic

Black@Gold Forever32
08-17-2011, 01:02 AM
I bet Cotchery doesn't even catch more then 30 passes this year.....He is a nice vet for insurance if one of the WR's go down.....Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Miller will all be options over Cotchery........

DanRooney
08-17-2011, 01:35 AM
I agree with everything but the speed hines ward ran a 4.7 40 cotchery runs a 4.5 Antonio Brown runs a 4.5 . Cotchery doesn't have a burst but can run in traffic

Cotchery ran a 4.5 seven years ago. Hines is probably bordering a 5.4 now.

--- Added 8/17/2011 at 12:35 AM ---

Cotchery IS going to help us out. At the very least, the veteran experience and "tricks" he can pass along to the youngsters is going to be beneficial.

I think we can all agree that we were definitely lacking experience in the Super Bowl. I'm not saying you can blame any one person and Ben certainly wasn't his typical self either, but experience certainly would have helped (even bailed our offense out) in several key times throughout the game.

I really think Cotchery is going to be productive for us and certainly adds depth. They don't need him to come in and set the world on fire, any production the offense gets from him (especially considering how little he is costing the team) is an added bonus that wasn't there last year. I'm certainly glad I won't have to see Sweed on the field, aren't you?

He really does seem to fit the Steeler persona and we can never have too many of those type of guys around. I look for him to help us out with some of those "tough yard" a receiver can pick up in the red zone too.

We had nothing but experienced receivers in that game: Ward, Randle El, and Arnaz Battle lol. What we were lacking is a speed receiver because Arians refused to let Brown see the field after making winning catches in 2 playoff games.

STEELyourface
08-17-2011, 04:02 AM
I agree that we were lacking speed but Randle El (despite the 2pt conv) was non-existent all season, which is why he isn't back with the team. Seriously dude, Battle? I hope that is a joke he has never caught more than like 50 passes in a season and didn't catch a single pass ALL of last year. Hines and Heath are great but it was evident that there was mass confusion on the final drive of SB XLV. Besides all I said was Cotchery will bring experience to a young receiving corp and at $810,000 for the season that's a bargain. Everyone marvels at his attitude and work ethic and undeniably that will rub off on the younger guys. He WILL have a positive impact on the team this year and that IS a contribution.

Dobre Shunka
08-17-2011, 04:06 AM
The CROTCH is just a good reliable signing that was:
1.available
and
2.willing.

Most of you will appreciate those terms.

This was a decent P/U, no more no less. He will replace no one but is steady.

Why not?

STEELyourface
08-17-2011, 04:22 AM
I could easily be wrong, certainly wouldn't be the 1st time. I don't think he's replacing anyone and maybe it's just wishful thinking more than anything else but I do think he'll help us out. At the price it's not a bad pickup and worst case scenario he won't hurt the team. I wasn't expecting a pro bowl season or anything just seems like a decent guy to have around. Sometimes those older vets get a change of scenery and rejuvenate their career for a season or two. If not he won't play much and won't be there next year anyway so no real harm in giving him a shot, I guess.

LatrobePA
08-18-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm telling you he'll be a part of this offense...

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2011, 12:01 AM
I agree he will be a part but I'm not expecting a huge part......Not enough footballs to go around....Wallace and Ward will get theirs........I think both Brown and Sanders will have their moments as well....Of course you have still factor in Heath Miller in the passing game......I don't see Cotchery catching over 30 balls this year......But he is nice vet insurance.....Of course if Sanders foot keeps giving him fits then I could see Cotchery being more of a factor over him....Its a good problem to have to have so many options at WR......

LatrobePA
08-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Agree 100%.

STEELyourface
08-19-2011, 12:46 AM
What he did tonight was with and against 2nd stringers but it shows what he can provide for the team. He has been a solid NFL receiver and can come in to give the other guys a breather without sacrificing depth or production (at least in theory).

Most receivers don't acheive their full potential until that 3rd season (at least that is what all the experts tell us all the time). That being said, Sanders and Brown are really more than typical 2nd year players, since making it all the way to the Super Bowl really adds a ton in the experience area. Add to that Wallace in his 3rd now, Hines, and Heath. I think that makes us the deepest in the league. Maybe not the best but right up there in terms of solid, reliable depth.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-19-2011, 12:49 AM
The Steelers have a nice mix.......WArd and Cotchery the vets with NFL experience and really compare in style....More of the tough over the middle WR's with solid hands......Wallace, Sanders, Brown the young pups with a ton of speed and big play potential.......Brown is a tremendous amount of swagger though that you don't see in many young players especially late round picks.....

DanRooney
08-19-2011, 01:44 AM
Cotchery looks like he's playing with a purpose. I was very impressed with him today. He's a definite upgrade over Randle El.

coldrolled
08-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Maybe cotchery is just fine.. maybe sanchez is the problem.. battle may be out as ST will not be an excuse to keep players. this kickoff crap needs to switch back fast..

do they have recalls in the NFL...??

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2011, 12:04 PM
He does look like he was fired up last night, and he proved he's more than capable of taking on a leading role at WR if necessary. Remember, he was no slouch at the Jets. He was a go to guy there on 3rd down and with the game on the line.

He said after the game that he's having fun, he feels the Steelers have a very special team and he's excited to be a part of it.

If we see the Jets in the playoffs, you can bet he'll be looking for some payback.

K Train
08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
i cringe seeing 82, i always just think of how scared randle el was of the endzone.

he needs a new number lol

Rampage
08-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Cotchery looked very motivated last night and made some nice snags. I think it is safe to say that he will be more of a receiving threat than ARE was last year.

LatrobePA
08-19-2011, 12:30 PM
I loved him signing, I can remember him and Favre lighting it up in NY.