PDA

View Full Version : Former Packers boss may be on list

Koopa
01-13-2007, 12:36 AM
i guess we are not gonna hire in house, and they must be wasting time to get rivera or something, cause the dude they interview saturday brings nothing to the table and either those this dude

Whisenhunt might get offer from Cardinals

Saturday, January 13, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Chan Gailey might not be the final candidate for the Steelers' head-coaching job when he talks to team officials today at their UPMC offices on the South Side.

The Steelers have made recent inquiries about former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman, and they were trying to reach him the past two days. Sherman, the assistant head coach/offense for the Houston Texans, was en route from a second interview he had in Arizona Thursday for the Cardinals' head-coaching job.

Yesterday, the Cardinals gave Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt his second interview in Arizona. He will stay in Arizona another day at the Cardinals' request to consider a possible job offer.

If the Steelers talk to Sherman, 52, he would be the sixth known candidate for the job that came open when Bill Cowher quit Jan. 5 and the second to be contacted after a first round of four interviews occurred last week.

Sherman compiled a 59-43 record as coach of the Packers from 2000-05. His teams had winning records in his first five seasons, winning three division championships and making the playoffs four times. Sherman's Packers came within an overtime loss at Philadelphia after the 2003 season of reaching the NFC championship game.

The entrance of Gailey, 55, and possibly Sherman into the mix alters the picture of what the Steelers intend to do about their most important job opening. It was long regarded as a two-horse race between Steelers assistant coaches Russ Grimm and Whisenhunt. Both men were interviewed this past week on separate days for three hours apiece, as were Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported that Tomlin will get a second interview in Miami.

The Steelers apparently have not dismissed any of their candidates from consideration. Thursday, Steelers president Art Rooney had a long conversation with Eagles head coach Andy Reid about Rivera, who coached under Reid with the Eagles from 1999-2003.

Grimm also was interviewed in Arizona, and Whisenhunt also interviewed with Atlanta and Miami and remains a candidate for the Dolphins' job as well as the Cardinals'.

Whisenhunt has said the Steelers' job would be his No. 1 choice -- a possible reason he was not offered the job in his hometown of Atlanta -- but Dan and Art Rooney have not given him or Grimm guarantees that either is their top choice. If the Cardinals were to make Whisenhunt an offer after his second interview, it would leave him with a difficult choice -- take the bird in hand or turn it down and gamble he will get the Steelers' job.

It could be that the Steelers are merely hedging their bets by talking to Gailey and Sherman or investigating to see if, perhaps, there isn't a better candidate outside their organization. Gailey remains a candidate in Miami and Sherman in Arizona.

Gailey is the head coach at Georgia Tech and was a wide receivers coach and offensive coordinator with the Steelers from 1994-97 before the Dallas Cowboys hired him as their head coach in 1998. He coached the Cowboys to the playoffs in both of his seasons as their coach, but was fired after an 18-14 record and losses in their first playoff game each year.

All Steelers assistant coaches are under contract through at least 2007. That was seen as a positive for either Grimm or Whisenhunt if either became their head coach. The Steelers, however, traditionally let their new coach hire his own staff and, if a candidate from outside is hired, he might have an entirely different view of the assistants he wants to hire.

NOTES -- Former West Virginia quarterback Rasheed Marshall is among the latest three players the Steelers have signed to 2007 contracts. The other two are defensive backs Grant Mason and Harrison Smith. Marshall, now a wide receiver, played in 12 games in 2005 with the San Francisco 49ers, returning 17 punts for a 5.1-yard average and 26 kickoffs for an 18.8-yard average. He was a fifth-round draft pick of the 49ers in 2005.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07013/753592-66.stm

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2007, 12:39 AM
I don't understand what the hell the Rooney's are doing.

Mike Sherman agkdsfkl;al;'dsal;'al;'ds;'la;'l
afgl;asdgl;a;'lag;la;ldsl;gdla;g;ldal;gal;l;df;la

Sorry thats from beating my keyboard. If they're holding out for Rivera I'm alright with that just as long that Mr. Rivera knows not to bring his 4-3/cover2 with him to Da Burgh.

K Train
01-13-2007, 12:39 AM
**** sherman....i would be furious

House of Steel
01-13-2007, 12:41 AM
WTF are the Rooneys' waiting for damnit? You realize we could lose Whiz in a matter of a couple of days. THIS IS GETTING TO BE DAMN NUTS. I am getting pissed off here.

floodcitygirl
01-13-2007, 12:42 AM
Wow....still trying to keep the faith that the Rooney's know what they're doing...

House of Steel
01-13-2007, 12:46 AM
I am starting to lose my faith in them two mid life crisis characters. THIS IS GETTING ANNOYING AS HELL. I never experienced an off season of chaos like this one.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2007, 12:48 AM
House Dan Rooney is past mid life. He is in his 70's.lol As for Art the II man I have no idea what the hell is going through his mind. They better not let Whiz get away.

K Train
just imagine what this place is gonna be like when we actually find out

Koopa
WTF are the Rooneys' waiting for damnit? You realize we could lose Whiz in a matter of a couple of days. THIS IS GETTING TO BE DAMN NUTS. I am getting pissed off here.

they are probably aware of this, and have probably decided they don't really want him as the head coach.........

DIESELMAN
01-13-2007, 12:49 AM
Looking at other options at the risk of losing one possibly two well qualified candidates? Thats just ****in crazy.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2007, 12:50 AM
Looking at other options at the risk of losing one possibly two well qualified candidates? Thats just ****in crazy.

Plus both Gailey and Sherman are retread coaches. I don't like that at all.

Steelersfan
01-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Maybe Wiz has informed the team that he plans on taking the Arizona job? Who know at this point.

floodcitygirl
01-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Looking at other options at the risk of losing one possibly two well qualified candidates? Thats just ****in crazy.If they've decided that they don't want them as head coaches and they aren't willing to stay unless they are.....:dunno:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Maybe Wiz has informed the team that he plans on taking the Arizona job? Who know at this point.

Yea thats true but it was reported Whiz turned down Atlanta since coaching the Steelers was his first choice. I think that speaks volumes since Atlanta is Whiz's hometown.

K Train
01-13-2007, 12:54 AM
im gonna solve this problem....im gonna coach the steelers in 2007!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2007, 12:55 AM
im gonna solve this problem....im gonna coach the steelers in 2007!

I would rather have you then Chan Gailey.:bluelol:

K Train
01-13-2007, 12:55 AM
dynastys die under gailey

DIESELMAN
01-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Plus both Gailey and Sherman are retread coaches. I don't like that at all.

yeah thats exactly what we don't need is lose what we could've had and end up with a last minute fill in like those chumps you just mentioned. Crazy stuff here guys.....

K Train
01-13-2007, 12:57 AM
i dont think anyone will mind waiting for this job....this is a job every coach wants...we'll get soemone good

Steelersfan
01-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Yea thats true but it was reported Whiz turned down Atlanta since coaching the Steelers was his first choice. I think that speaks volumes since Atlanta is Whiz's hometown.

Well he got his 2nd interview with Arizona so who's to say they didn't make him an offer he couldn't refuse?.....lol They have a young QB, 2 great wr's and a proven RB. That is something any OC would love to build on.

I'm just thinking out loud is all so don't take anything from this. I hope he stays but I almost couldn't blame him for wanting the money and to build his own team. The Cardinals have some good young talent to do that is all.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2007, 12:58 AM
yeah thats exactly what we don't need is lose what we could've had and end up with a last minute fill in like those chumps you just mentioned. Crazy stuff here guys.....

Crazy and shocking to say the least. Hey Diesel I think we need to take a trip to the Burgh and knock some sense into the Rooney's and save our Steelers.

K Train
01-13-2007, 12:58 AM
the cardinals have had good young talent for years, the FO is terrible and its a coaching hell, the only upside is the new stadium

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Well he got his 2nd interview with Arizona so who's to say they didn't make him an offer he couldn't refuse?.....lol They have a young QB, 2 great wr's and a proven RB. That is something any OC would love to build on.

I'm just thinking out loud is all so don't take anything from this. I hope he stays but I almost couldn't blame him for wanting the money and to build his own team. The Cardinals have some good young talent to do that is all.

Hey bro I wouldn't blame Whiz at all for taking the Cards job. Like you said if the Cards did make him an offer he couldn't refuse then Whiz would be foolish to turn them down.

I heard the Cards barked at how much money Mike Sherman wanted. I believe Sherman was seeking around the 4.5 million a year range. If the Rooney's didn't want to pay Cowher I find it hard they are going to pay Mike Sherman.

DIESELMAN
01-13-2007, 01:22 AM
Crazy and shocking to say the least. Hey Diesel I think we need to take a trip to the Burgh and knock some sense into the Rooney's and save our Steelers.

Count me in bro.....

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-13-2007, 03:12 AM
Anybody who works for the Bidwells needs a psychological evaluation ASAP (same for the raiders) I'm really sensing the Art ****ed up and does not know what the hell he is doing.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2007, 06:26 AM
What a bunch of shiate !!! WTF are they thinking with Mike Sherman !! Gimme a damn break already !! You've got enough good candidates just F'n pick one !!!

We're gonna wait around and wait around and nothing good is going to be left !! :cursin: :cursin: :cursin: :cursin: :cursin:

Ambridge
01-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Mike Sherman.........Mike "F'n" Sherman!! WTF!!

Are the Rooney's cultivating a newly formed "Crack" habit????
I thought Chan Gailey was baaaaad but Mike Sherman is plain bullshit.

Mike Sherman wanted 4 million a year from the Cardinals and I can't see the Rooney's........particularly "Squeeky"Art Rooney II shelling out that kind of cash for a coach who's from the Mike Holmgren West Coast offensive tree.

This is just DUMB!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2007, 06:37 PM
I just honestly can't see us taking somebody like Sherman, no way ! He's too expensive and doesnt run the offense or defense that we do.

If we would though this place is going to go f'n nuts ! :cursin: