PDA

View Full Version : Isaac Redman looked strong as feature back

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Rashard Mendenhall didn't play long in the preseason opener vs the Redskins, as we figured would be the case. Redman though was in the game much longer and got some good work in. He had 5 rushes for 42 yds and and scored the Steelers only points of the game.

In a preseason game you expect an experienced runner to have some success, but in Redman's case he continues to show he has what it takes to be the primary backup and unseat Mewelde as the main reserve for Rashard.

Last year Moore came in regularly to give Mendenhall a rest, but I think that role should be moved over to Redman right now. He's a good battering ram type runner but also has good balance and some decent feet. He kind of reminds of you Bettis in his running style; a tough, run you over type of back that can also dance out of the grasp of a defender.

No, I'm not saying Redman is Bettis but their styles are similar.

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-08-13/dgredman-a.jpg

jpele
08-14-2011, 08:57 AM
I would like to see Redman get a lot more carries. He runs with more determination than Mendenhall and doesn't fall at first contact. Before everyone has a fit ,I'm not condemning Rashard I just would to see more of Isaac?

The ideal situation would be to have them both in the backfield at the same time not every snap but several times a game.

Pretty hard to do when your entire game plan is 4 and 5 wide sets.

DanRooney
08-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Redman reminds me of Peyton Hillis the more I see him.

andyg1984
08-14-2011, 10:05 AM
tomlin is just unique in that he sees value in memo where no other DC in the league seems to be able to ..

redman can do a couple things above average, but we really need a more explosive option to complement mendy ..

steeldoc
08-14-2011, 10:13 AM
His story is so similar to Willy Parker's story. They just got better with each opportunity and always seemed to rise to the occasion when given a chance. I would love to see this guy get more carries, and pound the ball old fashion Steelers style. Keep the D fresh and mean. Ben will get plenty of chances but I LOVE controlling the clock. Sadly we never had a QB in the 90's, but the ball control game worked so well. Remember when a 10 point lead at the half was almost a done deal?:cope::cope::cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't think they really know what Redman can do yet. They've only seen him in short yardage situations and occasionally more in preseason. You can't really split the carries 50-50 between 2 backs in a Steelers system, but allowing to take over more of the spot duties that Moore has would be ideal.

Moore will still be your 3rd down back, but hand over more of the other work to Redman.

SteelDad
08-14-2011, 10:58 AM
I really wasn't sure if Redman could be a feature back should Mendy have an injury, but Friday nite finally convinced me otherwise. He was creating room for himself when the hole wasn't there and hitting holes when they were.

The best way our offense can protect Ben in the passing game is to have a legitimate threat in the running game from more than just Mendy. Teams will have to honor Redman now.

Ibleedblk&gld
08-14-2011, 11:19 AM
yes, i've been raving about redman since I saw him in preseason 2 yrs. ago...the man is legit (from what he's proven so far), and he keeps his legs churning all the way to the ground...I love MeMo, but with the talent redman is showing, I think I like him over MeMo, ESP in short yardage...MeMo just doesn't have the strength/build to push through guys when we need 2-3 yds

Rampage
08-14-2011, 12:45 PM
I really like Redman. No, he isn't Chris Johnson, but he tries hard every time he gets the ball, something you have to love in a backup. At this point, I think Redman has to be the #2/short yardage back; he's consistent and effective.

steelersbabex25
08-14-2011, 01:26 PM
The carries shouldn't be split 50-50, but definitely somewhere along the lines of 75-25. Pretty much all of that 25% that Redman has the ball should be for the 3rd & 3s, because he always seems to get it done. I don't know what the point is of having Mendenhall running some crazy play to try to pick up 3 yards when Redman has proven time and time again that he can just bash into the pile and do it.

JShare86
08-14-2011, 01:29 PM
I like redman alot too but the way mendenhall ran in the playoffs last year I think he is going to have a monster year so I hope redman don't take too many carries from him.

igor0190
08-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Redman is a nice compliment to Mendenhall... What we really need is someone with speed and explosiveness to take Mewelde's job. Sure he's a vet and knows his assignments, but he is slow as mollasses and has zero big play potential.

connecticutsteel
08-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Redman reminds me of Ray Rice but i don't know if his hands are as good

--- Added 8/14/2011 at 02:10 PM ---

Redman is a nice compliment to Mendenhall... What we really need is someone with speed and explosiveness to take Mewelde's job. Sure he's a vet and knows his assignments, but he is slow as mollasses and has zero big play potential.
that was Baron Batch but he blew up

TampaSteelGirl
08-14-2011, 03:23 PM
I really enjoy watching Redman play..I really hope he gets more play. he's exciting and explosive at times....This boy really wants to play and it shows more and more every year!! :tt02:

--- Added 8/14/2011 at 02:23 PM ---

I don't agree here with your last sentence...i don't see him slow or has zero big play potential...here I think you're wrong. IMO he gets better and faster every year.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-16-2011, 12:05 AM
I disagree as well. Redman isn't Mewelde, Redman is Redman. Memo's style of play is different. He's got good hands, great blocking ability, and can make guys miss.

Isaac is a power runner but also has good balance and some nice moves in traffic. He's not built to play like Moore is but he can still get the job done. We haven't seen him get the chance yet but that doesn't mean he can't do it. The coaches think he's got potential or he wouldn't still be here.

Medenhall is a do it all back, Redman is more of a power back. Big play ability doesn't always mean you can run away from people, sometimes you have to run over them and that's important too.

coldrolled
08-16-2011, 04:00 AM
Redman reminds me of Ray Rice but i don't know if his hands are as good

I dont think we have many plays set to throw to redman.. he has had a few nice catches, i think one for 17 yards once.. he just doesnt get many.

that would be like a counter blitz play action type play..

do we do those??

andyg1984
08-16-2011, 10:04 AM
I disagree as well. Redman isn't Mewelde, Redman is Redman. Memo's style of play is different. He's got good hands, great blocking ability, and can make guys miss.

Isaac is a power runner but also has good balance and some nice moves in traffic. He's not built to play like Moore is but he can still get the job done. We haven't seen him get the chance yet but that doesn't mean he can't do it. The coaches think he's got potential or he wouldn't still be here.

Medenhall is a do it all back, Redman is more of a power back. Big play ability doesn't always mean you can run away from people, sometimes you have to run over them and that's important too.

seriously? memo on his best day is maybe the 3rd best backfield blocker on our team .. make guys miss? memo is not elusive at all imo ... there are so many guys off the street that are better than memo ..

all he does good is fair-catch .. bfd

K Train
08-16-2011, 10:15 AM
here we go again lol

K Train
08-16-2011, 10:20 AM

moore has average hands, is a very poor blocker now (was better than mendenhall for a while but not even close anymore) and has no agility. hes one of tomlins boys at this point and nothing more, he really shouldnt get a roster spot but with batch going down and clay quitting they might not have a choice.

ill never be redmans biggest fan, but despite his shortcomings i think he can fill moores role better....hes a good receiver out of the backfield, and imo the only qulaity that makes him a legit RB option is not his power but his balance exceeds good, he has incredible balance

LatrobePA
08-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Redman isn't that impressive to me...

cmerrifield
08-16-2011, 10:38 AM
I like him in spot duty and the role they have him in. I think he runs with everything he has got every chance he gets. If Mendy went down, I am not thrilled with him being the starter though. He is a hard worker who will always be a decent complimentary back, not a strong feature back, IMHO

steelersbabex25
08-16-2011, 10:44 AM
moore has average hands, is a very poor blocker now (was better than mendenhall for a while but not even close anymore) and has no agility. hes one of tomlins boys at this point and nothing more, he really shouldnt get a roster spot but with batch going down and clay quitting they might not have a choice.

ill never be redmans biggest fan, but despite his shortcomings i think he can fill moores role better....hes a good receiver out of the backfield, and imo the only qulaity that makes him a legit RB option is not his power but his balance exceeds good, he has incredible balance

Moore and Redman have had completely different roles. I think I've seen MeMo blocking and then being the dump-off option for Ben more than I've seen Ben hand the ball of to him. In that role, he's done awesome. Redman serves as a short yardage back (thus far). They're totally different players.

Blazedby92
08-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Training camp Phenom, LOL

K Train
08-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Moore and Redman have had completely different roles. I think I've seen MeMo blocking and then being the dump-off option for Ben more than I've seen Ben hand the ball of to him. In that role, he's done awesome. Redman serves as a short yardage back (thus far). They're totally different players.

obviously i know they are different players, but you start to see redman on 3rd down as well lately since moore started to really really play terrible.

moore was used in the way kevin faulk was used in NE for a while, but that was when mendenhall was a terrible blocker, not that good of a receiving back yet, but since mendenhall overtook moore as the best 3rd down back you start to see redman more as a situational 3rd down back and not only as a short yardage guy but also as the primary guy to spell mendenhall and even a situational FB.

totally different players maybe, but redman is taking moors role as a 3rd down blocker/receiver as moor noticably declines and fails to block guys or convert on 3rd down time and time again.

they will use him more than just a short yardage guy, hes probably a better receiving and yards after catch back than he is straight up north and south short yardage guy.....his biggest asset is his balance, not his power like everyone thinks.

steelersbabex25
08-16-2011, 12:45 PM
obviously i know they are different players, but you start to see redman on 3rd down as well lately since moore started to really really play terrible.

moore was used in the way kevin faulk was used in NE for a while, but that was when mendenhall was a terrible blocker, not that good of a receiving back yet, but since mendenhall overtook moore as the best 3rd down back you start to see redman more as a situational 3rd down back and not only as a short yardage guy but also as the primary guy to spell mendenhall and even a situational FB.

totally different players maybe, but redman is taking moors role as a 3rd down blocker/receiver as moor noticably declines and fails to block guys or convert on 3rd down time and time again.

they will use him more than just a short yardage guy, hes probably a better receiving and yards after catch back than he is straight up north and south short yardage guy.....his biggest asset is his balance, not his power like everyone thinks.

I didn't think Moore was ever really used as a 3rd down back..

Rampage
08-16-2011, 12:48 PM

He is, but usually he is reserved for end arounds and draw plays from the Pittsburgh 1 yard line.

K Train
08-16-2011, 12:52 PM

hes been used more as a backup lately, but his initial role when signing with the team was a 3rd down back...experienced in pass protecting with a young mendenhall who wasnt and a decent receiver out of the backfield.....at this point though he is probably the worst option we have at both of those roles.

oh he also is nearly as good as el was at fair catching punts....a situational fair catcher lol

TampaSteelGirl
08-16-2011, 01:01 PM
I heart Redman.....

Dobre Shunka
08-17-2011, 04:45 AM
Oh brutha

Blazedby92
08-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Redman gets the job done he's a good blocker and receiver and he will put his head done to get extra yards unlike some and he is determined to get into the endzone. He's not that homerun hitter that most people want, the only thing that he lacks is speed and who needs that when your running people over and shredding tackles.

Mendenhall is flashy, he's got the speed to get the homerun and he is a good blocker and receiver but he doesn't lack power but is SCARED to lower his shoulder (Thanks Ray Ray)
He runs SCARED all the time by ALWAYS running towards the sidelines 95% of the time, don't agree go watch his highlights and prove me wrong I dare you.

That being said it's really RB by committee, they compliment each other there is no way either could be an all downs back Mendy 1st and 2nd down to get third and short then give the rock to Redzone and let him work his magic up the middle.

K Train
08-17-2011, 09:23 AM
i dont know if mendenahall is "scared" his style is to spin and it does make him avoid a lot of contact and get a few extra yards, its a very unique running style but its tough to deal with for the defense.

he does lower his shoulder and lay the boom every now and then, but his bouncing it outside is really a result of him having some really great run blocking tackles....starks, colon, flo....and some really really TERRIBLE run blocking interior lineman...hartwig, stapleton, essex...ect. ever since hes been here its made sense for them to call run plays to the outside

Blazedby92
08-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Don't need to say it just watch these, he even flops a couple times without being touched.
Like I said he does some stuff good but atleast 95% of these highlights he is runnin outside to the line and some are so obvious that he could of got alot more yards if he would of cut back up the middle.

He doesn't square his shoulders up at all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYBT3kIEIg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GJAhQaRn5k&NR=1

K Train
08-17-2011, 09:50 AM
so what would you prefer? adrian peterson? no ****.

mendenhall is so much better than willie parker ever was, not sure a few highlights of his 300+ carries per season of him not cutting inside can say omgz hes scared 90% of the time.

everyone wants breakaway speed and bonecrushing power from their RB...thats just not a realistic expectation to have. mendenhall is a top 5-10 RB depending on who you ask and he keeps getting better and more productive, thats better than flashing brilliance and getting worse and less productive.

not gonna lie i dont think he'll be around much longer, not sure where he ranks on their priorities of timmons, troy, and wallace but we'll see

Blazedby92
08-17-2011, 10:06 AM
As long as you seen what i'm saying, and I know you seen him Flop a couple times then, didn't say I wanted him to be a HOFer cause he never will be, I won't put him on a pedastol like most people, he lacks that something that isn't teachable or is it?

Top ten RB in the NFL is not saying much, I have him on the fence at 10 highest I'd go is 9.

You said yourself you don't think he'll be around much longer, which goes back to my point he's better than we have had but RB's like him are a dime a dozen

K Train
08-17-2011, 10:15 AM
hes not nor will he ever be a violent runner...he does a lot of things well, but hes NEVER been a guy that runs like hes pissed off at the grass and really that will probably extend his career to a much longer one, but it will keep him from excellence too....hes got everything we need in a starter though...good receiver, good blocker, tough runner with good vision and speed. not elite, but worth that first round pick.

TampaSteelGirl
08-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Redman gets the job done he's a good blocker and receiver and he will put his head done to get extra yards unlike some and he is determined to get into the endzone. He's not that homerun hitter that most people want, the only thing that he lacks is speed and who needs that when your running people over and shredding tackles.

Mendenhall is flashy, he's got the speed to get the homerun and he is a good blocker and receiver but he doesn't lack power but is SCARED to lower his shoulder (Thanks Ray Ray)
He runs SCARED all the time by ALWAYS running towards the sidelines 95% of the time, don't agree go watch his highlights and prove me wrong I dare you.

That being said it's really RB by committee, they compliment each other there is no way either could be an all downs back Mendy 1st and 2nd down to get third and short then give the rock to Redzone and let him work his magic up the middle.

Love this post and agree 110% :yellowthumb:
I think this has outlined exactly how I feel about both backs...perfect compliment.

--- Added 8/17/2011 at 09:26 AM ---

hes not nor will he ever be a violent runner...he does a lot of things well, but hes NEVER been a guy that runs like hes pissed off at the grass and really that will probably extend his career to a much longer one, but it will keep him from excellence too....hes got everything we need in a starter though...good receiver, good blocker, tough runner with good vision and speed. not elite, but worth that first round pick.

The think I like about Redman is he never quits...you can tell this kid has heart. He wants to play and play bad..I think he gives it everything he possibly has..I like Mendy but Mendy doens't have the heart Redman has yet, while he has alot of talent but yes as my comment on the post above I also feel he plays scared at times...

K Train
08-17-2011, 10:30 AM
redman isnt allowed to quit and he has to have "heart"...hes an UDFA out of bowie state who is on the TC roster bubble year in and year out.

completely replaceable player, and he has to continually show that they dont need to do that

Blazedby92
08-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Did you actually read what you wrote, so I am right Mendy is on the roster because he is a first rounder with alot of money not because be is that good or he wants it bad " Heart"

I'll take heart!
Everyone is replaceable example Holmes insert Young money family

K Train
08-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Did you actually read what you wrote, so I am right Mendy is on the roster because he is a first rounder with alot of money not because be is that good or he wants it bad " Heart"

I'll take heart!

lmao the biggest sweed hater on the board takes heart over everything else....funny stuff

mendenhall is 10x the RB redman is, talent wise he shames him in every way

holmes+wallace we win the superbowl last year...just sayin, i love me sanders and brown but holmes is still one of the most clutch and electric WRs after the catch

TampaSteelGirl
08-17-2011, 11:07 AM

I'll take heart!

What????????? Not sure what you are talking about here

--- Added 8/17/2011 at 10:07 AM ---

lmao the biggest sweed hater on the board takes heart over everything else....funny stuff

mendenhall is 10x the RB redman is, talent wise he shames him in every way

holmes+wallace we win the superbowl last year...just sayin, i love me sanders and brown but holmes is still one of the most clutch and electric WRs after the catch

I never said Redman was BETTER than Mendy..im just saying Redman seems to have more heart in the game..

steelersbabex25
08-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Oh come on. Those of you complaining about Mendenhalls style? Really? I'd rather him bounce it outside and pick up 5 yards than trying to crush it down the middle - therefore risking injury - just to pick up those same 5 yards. I know we're Steelers fans and we love smash mouth football, but if you're complaining about Mendenhall, it really shows just how spoiled we are as a fanbase. 75% of teams in the league would kill to have Mendenhall on their roster.

I love Redman, but you simply can not compare the two. I don't care who has more heart. If you're averaging over 4 yards a carry in your career, I really don't care if you give a ****.

LatrobePA
08-17-2011, 04:30 PM
I love Redman, but you simply can not compare the two. I don't care who has more heart. If you're averaging over 4 yards a carry in your career, I really don't care if you give a ****.

You nailed it...

Redman as a feature back would not make it, teams would figure him out quickly..

Mendy is like Ben, tough to read or pattern from play to play..