PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin not happy with Steelers' preparation

Big T
08-13-2011, 04:51 PM
After the Steelers lost their preseason opener to the Redskins, Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin offered a simple assessment of what went wrong: His team wasn’t as well prepared as Mike Shanahan’s team.

“That was not the kind of performance we were looking for or hoping for,” Tomlin said. “Quite frankly, we got outplayed in just about all areas – blocking, tackling, running, throwing, kicking. That team was better prepared tonight than us, and they showed it.”

Tomlin said he gave the starters the usual amount of playing time for the first preseason game but thought they came out looking ill-prepared.

“It just wasn’t very pretty, and we all bear responsibility for that, starting with myself,” Tomlin said.

One player, receiver Antonio Brown, was singled out for praise after having four catches for 64 yards.

“Antonio Brown appears to be in great physical condition, but we knew that before we stepped into the stadium tonight,” Tomlin said.

And as for everyone else?

“I look forward to this group responding to what we put out there tonight and understand that we have a lot of ground to cover,” Tomlin said. “Such is life. I’ll expect these guys to respond accordingly, and we’ll go back to work, we’ll assess this performance and it needs to be better quickly.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/13/tomlin-not-happy-with-steelers-preparation/

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Damn. You are the coach. So, get coaching. 3 more like last night and you got a real problem. Or, last night was BA's debut of a sort of 2011 defense. Who knows. Just a fan here, with my uneducated opinion. Hope it gets better as time goes on.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 07:08 PM
As a coach he shouldn't be happy, none of his staff nor the players should either. They came out as starters and played like they hadn't seen the field before. The starting offense moved the ball alittle bit with Rashard and Antonio Brown but then they stalled out.

The defense we've already talked about as being terrible. The only bright spot was that they tightened up in the red zone and forced the FG try.

I suspect they've spent all day breaking down film and the few days of practice they have this week will be pretty intense. They'll get a good test with the Eagles coming to town later this week.

SteelerCountry58
08-13-2011, 10:29 PM
As a coach he shouldn't be happy, none of his staff nor the players should either. They came out as starters and played like they hadn't seen the field before. The starting offense moved the ball alittle bit with Rashard and Antonio Brown but then they stalled out.

The defense we've already talked about as being terrible. The only bright spot was that they tightened up in the red zone and forced the FG try.

I suspect they've spent all day breaking down film and the few days of practice they have this week will be pretty intense. They'll get a good test with the Eagles coming to town later this week.
Could be another ugly game. First team needs to play entire first half.
No time to fiddle around in this shortened time frame. Cobwebs need to
be shed quickly in the coming weeks.

Clevelandsux
08-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Glad Tomlin recognizes this.

Nolrog
08-14-2011, 11:56 AM
As the head coach, isn't he directly responsible for their preparation?

Rampage
08-14-2011, 12:54 PM
I think the Steelers should open up the playbook and play the starters for the first half of the game. Start racking up these meaningful preseason wins before it's too late.

Deviouz1
08-14-2011, 02:31 PM
"meaningful preseason wins"? erm... usually i think youre spot on with most of the things you say, but lets be realistic. the only thing meaningful about preseason is the eval of your talent and determining the pecking order for this year. tomlin said what he said because thats what people expect. they did what theyre supposed to do in preseason. washington treated it like a season game, of course theyre gonna win. hell, itll probably be the only success theyre gonna have all year. let them have their moment of "glory".

as far as the steelers go, as long as there is steady improvement throughout the course of the preseason i really dont see problem. we knew the secondary was gonna suck so thats not a surprise, and who gives a damn if ike broke his thumb? its not like he uses the damn thing anyway.

overall, as badly as they played, i dont think it was a total loss. i think it knocked the Superbowl Swagger out of them and will likely fire them up for next game. and theyre gonna need that fire no doubt.

personally, i dont care if they lose every preseason game as long as they use the experience wisely.

TampaSteelGirl
08-14-2011, 03:09 PM
I don't mind losing preseason games as long as what Im seeing out there is at least trying....I understand it's to look at the news guys but DAMN..this was just horrid!
Even the first string was horrible!

This week will be a huge test for the Steelers...

Rampage
08-14-2011, 03:48 PM
"meaningful preseason wins"? .

I was being sarcastic in response to a lot of butthurt going on from the loss. :lol:

Just a way to see the young guys; let the turd teams keep their starters in and beat up on backups and camp fodder.

Zachintosh66
08-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Does he ever do any actual coaching or is he just a good bullshitter?

in the words of the man himself: "it is what it is"

Rampage
08-14-2011, 04:36 PM

He unleashes hell, bro!

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-14-2011, 05:58 PM
This will not be the year for a lame speakin coach.

Deviouz1
08-14-2011, 09:00 PM
I was being sarcastic in response to a lot of butthurt going on from the loss. :lol:

Just a way to see the young guys; let the turd teams keep their starters in and beat up on backups and camp fodder.

i honestly should have known better.

shame on me.

Dobre Shunka
08-14-2011, 09:08 PM
OK Nostradamus, what's next " this is the year of the cat"?

:nahnah:

Troyisabeast_43
08-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Let Ben and the starters play at least into the 2nd quarter of this game against Philly Thursday night. The opener in Baltimore is 3 weeks from this Sunday and the Steelers had better get the guys that will be in that game the reps and in game shape in preperation for that game.

LarryNJ
08-15-2011, 09:04 AM

He's actually a very good coach. That being said the longer they are in the profession the more they give cliche answers. Get used to it!

:)

Yes he is ultimately responsible for them not being prepared. He's really responsible for everything good or bad!

Rampage
08-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Let Ben and the starters play at least into the 2nd quarter of this game against Philly Thursday night. The opener in Baltimore is 3 weeks from this Sunday and the Steelers had better get the guys that will be in that game the reps and in game shape in preperation for that game.

I would be cool with this so long as the o-line protects better than they did the last time we met Philly in the regular season. I don't want to see Ben get knocked out before the season even starts. :lol:

TampaSteelGirl
08-15-2011, 12:28 PM
He's actually a very good coach. That being said the longer they are in the profession the more they give cliche answers. Get used to it!

:)

Yes he is ultimately responsible for them not being prepared. He's really responsible for everything good or bad!

Oh Larry...gotta agree here! :yellowthumb:

Real Deal Steel
08-16-2011, 01:20 AM
Again....everyone simmer down. It's just the first game. We just need to stay away from as many injuries as possible. Everything else will fall into place.