PDA

View Full Version : Serious secondary troubles.....

TampaSteelGirl
08-13-2011, 12:24 PM
I was just sickened by the entire D last night but as i've said before nothing more than this **** poor secondary....

I wish they would have taken the salaries of Ike Taylor, Willie Gay and McFadden grouped them together and picked up Asomugha...that's how mad I am about this!!!
There is no way we can survive a secondary attack and everyone in the NFL knows exactly where to throw to win.....not a good thing!

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Girl, it was real bad.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Both Ike and Ryan Clark were gone before the 1st team defense left the field. Plus Troy was playing either. McFadden also did not dress for the game. So basically you had backup secondary in there almost out of the gate. When you combine that with the fact that with the face that both Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen also did not play, it was the backups, backups in most of the game. The only player with any experience besides Ryan Mundy, was Will Gay.

Now having said that, yes the secondary was in trouble last year and they appear to be bringing back the same starting 4 so should we expect anything to be different? We can hope. We can hope the young guys step up. We can hope Will Gay can play better, that Troy can stay healthy, the Clark can make more tackles instead of always going for the kill shot.

However it's only preseason game one right now. There's 3 more left and time to see how the young guys will do.

Rampage
08-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Eh, the guys on the field weren't starters. Disappointing that they didn't play better, but a lot of guys probably won't even make the final roster.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 03:33 PM
I think the worst part is, even more than than the way the starters played was the quality of play from all the backups. Granted most of those guys won't make the team, and we haven't seen the rookie DB's yet but overall you hope for a better showing from your backups than that. There is still time to get things rectified and I'm sure Tomlin will work them hard this week.

Rampage
08-13-2011, 04:11 PM
I think the worst part is, even more than than the way the starters played was the quality of play from all the backups. Granted most of those guys won't make the team, and we haven't seen the rookie DB's yet but overall you hope for a better showing from your backups than that. There is still time to get things rectified and I'm sure Tomlin will work them hard this week.

Sometimes you need a kick in the *** to get better. Maybe the o-line looking like a death trap for Ben and the secondary looking like the store brand paper towel in one of those Brawny vs. the generic brand absorbency commercials will give them the jolts they need to improve.

Or maybe they'll continue to suck. Who knows? :lol:

JShare86
08-13-2011, 04:14 PM
I think any time we play a pro bowl qb it will be tough to win. Just look at what happens everytime we play Brady then brees torched us and so did Rodgers. Its definatley scary seeing how we were pretty much exposed to all 30 other teams in the superbowl last year. I think every team comes out throwing 40-50 times a game heck I would....

LatrobePA
08-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Are you calling Rex grossman a pro bowler?

Rampage
08-13-2011, 04:18 PM

Are you saying he isn't?

:banana:

JShare86
08-13-2011, 04:46 PM
No it had nothing to do with grossman just our secondary. I'm not goin to grade our secondary from a preseason game against the redskins. Just giving examples of our past experiences against pro bowl qbs ( Brady brees Rodgers).I think our secondary is in trouble too and will be tough to beat a team with a good qb this season. (I think grossman is about as pro bowl worthy as Dixon is)

connecticutsteel
08-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Whoa you people are taking this first game way too serious we lost badly to the giants last year . Any way the fact is we didn't prepare for the game had we prepared the result would have been different .Trust me the secondary WILL BE READY FOR THE RAVENS and beyond . It's one practice game that's it .

LatrobePA
08-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Are you saying he isn't?

:banana:

I just sprayed vomit on my screen! Haaa

cmerrifield
08-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Our DB's are used to covering for short periods of time. Whenever we do our preseason vanilla defense, we dont get any pressure causing the secondary to cover longer than they usually have to. I am not really worried about it. Let's see how QB's do when we start blitzing and coming from everywhere.

Root4Stlrs
08-13-2011, 05:49 PM

He almost looked like one last night. He is now Washington's pre-season MVP.

--- Added 8/13/2011 at 03:49 PM ---

Whoa you people are taking this first game way too serious we lost badly to the giants last year . Any way the fact is we didn't prepare for the game had we prepared the result would have been different .Trust me the secondary WILL BE READY FOR THE RAVENS and beyond . It's one practice game that's it .

Their first team scored against our back-ups. Our back-ups scored against their first team.

Big T
08-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Cant wait for Curtis Brown to take The left CB spot this year. Though no matter how much of an upgrade he might turn out to be, the coaching staff doesn't have the balls to let him start over "battle-tested vets" William Gay and Bryant McFadden.

LatrobePA
08-13-2011, 06:21 PM
I hope like hell someone beats gay out, he's horrid!

Rampage
08-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Watching the game, I don't think this was a good tell of what the secondary can do. The Redskins kept their starting offense in for the first half and we had second and third stringers in the secondary along with vanilla defenses. That said, Gay and Lewis looked pretty soft. I thought Cromartie-Smith actually looked decent for a backup. Really wish Brown got some reps; hopefully next week.

JShare86
08-13-2011, 07:24 PM
We will see but I think everyone on here can agree that the secondary has been a weak spot on the steelers team since the days of Chad Scott and dewayne Washington hope brown Allen or butler can step up and help out Ike

Rampage
08-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Watching the beginning of the game, I thought one player that looked pretty poor in coverage was Ryan Clark. It seemed like he was out in no man's land on every play. I don't know if that is just a byproduct of the plain Jane defensive packages, but I thought Mundy looked just as good, if not better. At least he was in on a lot more tackles. :dunno:

coldrolled
08-13-2011, 09:24 PM
seems like kennan and gay play the same game...

watch the catch and tackle.

SteelerCountry58
08-13-2011, 11:23 PM
seems like kennan and gay play the same game...

watch the catch and tackle.
They need to watch the train schedule and get out of town.:yesnod:

Dobre Shunka
08-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Preseason, don't put much stock in it other than work ethic which is most likely why coach was griping. The starters have their jobs, they're not going to take any unnecessary chances, but it's up to the newbies to step up and try to get the coaches eye. Compared to other years for us, they did not and I think it pissed the coach off royally. A lot of that has to do with the lockout and a much shorter time to prepare but I think our next one you'll see the rooks lighting it up. Tomlin basically put em on notice.

The reason Washington looked better is because they were playing their starters. This was a big game for them, think about that and LOL. For us it was BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL, bodies are tight and an injury can happen real easy here and end it. So our players were coasting and playing to not get hurt as opposed to all out game day mode. I think the coaches were onto to them and understandably not happy about it. They know LOL

Me thinks you'll see a difference next game as well as the practices.

connecticutsteel
08-14-2011, 12:22 AM
To defend Gay and Lewis the new saftey rules say you must wait till the reciever makes the catch before you can make contact .but you can play the ball

Rampage
08-14-2011, 01:49 PM
To defend Gay and Lewis the new saftey rules say you must wait till the reciever makes the catch before you can make contact .but you can play the ball

While I am sure the new stance on safety has some impact, I did see players in other preseason games defend some passes by getting their hands on the ball before the receivers. Both guys looked way too soft in coverage. Granted, Lebeau wasn't doing anything special and the pressure was weak.

Really hope to see Brown out there; hopefully he can show some talent, something our backups really appear to be lacking.

mwittman5
08-14-2011, 04:04 PM

exactly. No Troy or Harrison, Ike and Clark left early. Of course the secondary is gonna get torched with none of them in.

TampaSteelGirl
08-14-2011, 04:13 PM
No it had nothing to do with grossman just our secondary. I'm not goin to grade our secondary from a preseason game against the redskins. Just giving examples of our past experiences against pro bowl qbs ( Brady brees Rodgers).I think our secondary is in trouble too and will be tough to beat a team with a good qb this season. (I think grossman is about as pro bowl worthy as Dixon is)

I see what you are saying and yes i've been saying all along we are in serious trouble with out secondary....I think the Oline will eventually mold and be ok but Im just not sure what its gonna take other than a secondary enema to get better at the position.

--- Added 8/14/2011 at 02:13 PM ---

You can't be serious saying this can you??? The secondary will not be ready..everyone now knows how to expose us...we are not fine there.

Rampage
08-14-2011, 04:44 PM
I see what you are saying and yes i've been saying all along we are in serious trouble with out secondary....I think the Oline will eventually mold and be ok but Im just not sure what its gonna take other than a secondary enema to get better at the position.

--- Added 8/14/2011 at 02:13 PM ---

You can't be serious saying this can you??? The secondary will not be ready..everyone now knows how to expose us...we are not fine there.

We'll have to see, but I think the secondary will be a lot better with the starters and creative packages. Ike was out, Troy was out, BMac (meh, but better than Gay) was out and the line did nothing.

Last year the team showed they could get torched, but Rodgers' skills also had more than a little to do with it. Besides, not every team has a QB or WRs capable of playing that way.

Zachintosh66
08-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Defense will come around. Pressure will improve the secondary, just not enuff to where we need it, lol.

Rampage
08-14-2011, 05:40 PM
I hope that Brown sees the field and just amazes the coaches and fans. The secondary needs it.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-15-2011, 02:29 AM
We'll have to see, but I think the secondary will be a lot better with the starters and creative packages. Ike was out, Troy was out, BMac (meh, but better than Gay) was out and the line did nothing.

Last year the team showed they could get torched, but Rodgers' skills also had more than a little to do with it. Besides, not every team has a QB or WRs capable of playing that way.

This!!! The way to beat the Steelers is to spread out your offense and make sure you can get the ball out quickly. That renders our pass-rush useless and forces us to drop back LB's into coverage, also taking advantage of the fact that our CB's aren't great.

That being said, our DB's aren't exactly bad, and you can't be chucking the ball hoping it gets caught when a healthy Polamalu is roaming back there. It takes talented receivers and quarterbacks to successfully beat the Steelers this way. It's one thing to get yards and move the chains. It's another to score points and truly burn us.

Taylor, while not elite, is a very good corner, and McFadden is a solid #2. Gay has his moments at NB, and then is flat out, mind-boggingly bad at NB too. He's highly inconsistent, but believe it or not we could definitely do worse. Now that we've got Curtis Brown, I'm hoping he eventually steps up to the NB role and shows what he's got. Him or Keenan Lewis, if he's not cut to allow a younger guy to make the roster.

There were only three teams last year who I can truly say messed us up with their offenses, and they were the Saints, Patriots, and Packers. It's not a coincidence that they all have pass-oriented offenses and all three (Brees, Brady, and Rodgers) are among the five best QB's in the league.

coldrolled
08-15-2011, 05:40 AM
This!!! The way to beat the Steelers is to spread out your offense and make sure you can get the ball out quickly. That renders our pass-rush useless and forces us to drop back LB's into coverage, also taking advantage of the fact that our CB's aren't great.

actually, it looked like they wanted worilds to drop back often in the skins game. maybe to see how he plays that part of his game. we know he can rush... right?

TampaSteelGirl
08-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Defense will come around. Pressure will improve the secondary, just not enuff to where we need it, lol.

That won't get us thru playoffs...a mediocre secondary. Just won't fly. I have a feeling...yes I know...the Pats will be our competition this year. I don't know why I just feel that way. You all know what Brady does to our CBs, it's just a fact.

LarryNJ
08-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Our DB's are used to covering for short periods of time. Whenever we do our preseason vanilla defense, we dont get any pressure causing the secondary to cover longer than they usually have to. I am not really worried about it. Let's see how QB's do when we start blitzing and coming from everywhere.

Pressure is the key. Our LB's & DL will be very good this year and that will make the DB's better than they are. Without pressure most QB's will do well and the very good ones, Brady, Brees, & Rodgers will pick you apart.

This week watch on the first play of the game, the Eagles will try a long bomb and it won't surprise me to see DeSean Jackson get behind them all.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Last year the Steelers had no problems getting to the QB or stopping the run, but the secondary still had problems. The theory that we always figured may not be as true for this secondary as it used to be. For whatever reason they just struggle in virtually every situation.

If it's Ike Taylor, you know you're pretty good. If it's run support, you're good. If it's a pass where the NB or other CB has to cover, there's potential problems. If the player is coming across the middle and Clark can't make the epic, destroying, knockout punch of doom, you're in trouble.

K Train
08-15-2011, 04:49 PM
i havent really seen epic knockout destroying punches of doom and misery from clark in 2 years....seen him miss tackles, fall on his face, and get torched quite a bit though

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2011, 06:04 PM
I've seen them from him from time to time, but the missed tackles are the ones that lead to an extra 10-15 yds. after the catch.

Mundy got valuable experience last year and although he isn't going to do the things that Troy does or maybe Ryan does, he's still quite capable.

Rampage
08-15-2011, 07:02 PM
i havent really seen epic knockout destroying punches of doom and misery from clark in 2 years....seen him miss tackles, fall on his face, and get torched quite a bit though

I think the time to replace Clark is now. The secondary is weak and he doesn't have the speed to play the same game he used to be known for. Hell, even if he could lay guys out, it's illegal in today's league. The team is going to need to address safety sooner than later; Clark is old and Polamalu is glass.