PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Offensive line performance in preseason game 1

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Well this unit, like the rest of the starters did not have a good game. When Ben was in the game they were allowing pressure to come from all over the place, mainly up the middle though. Both times that Ben got knocked down and/or nicked up the pressure came right up the middle between Pouncey and Ramon Foster. When Leftwich came into the game he had some pressure in his face too; on 1 snap in the first half the Washington pass rusher was in the backfield before Byron even had a chance to take a second step in his drop.

When Leftwich came into the game , Tomlin left the starters in but did swap out Chris Scott in place of Foster for awhile. That yielded probably worse results and Scott was completely schooled and looked lost. Pressure came from up the middle again on multiple occasions between him and Pouncey.

Willie Colon wasn't too bad overall from what I could tell, nothing glaringly bad like some of the others.

Jonathan Scott wasn't in the game very long but overall his performance was average. Considering he was facing Arakpo on many of the snaps he didn't do all that bad. He did let pressure through on several occasions but he wasn't the worst of them.

I will say from a run blocking point of view, once they settled down and Redman came into the game they were able to open up some holes for him. I would caution though that it was Redman's ability to power through tackles and spin out of the grasp of defenders as much as it was a semi ok run blocking performance.

LatrobePA
08-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Pouncey appeared to be overwhelmed.

To be honest not one bright spot on that line last night. I could smell them all the way here in Ohio THEY STUNK!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Remember last night too, Kemoeatu didn't play in the game and Tomlin rotated out Foster at RG. It was hardly a line to be proud of and hardly one you'd think is going to be successful in the NFL. Given the injuries in training camp and the musical chairs they've been playing again, we should have been expecting this to happen.

Even if they did have a good showing you wouldn't want to read too much into it, because it is preseason. However when they were that bad, you can only blame it on rust so much. This team has got to get a healthy starting 5 in front of Ben before the season starts.

Kemo is off the PUP list now I believe, hopefully that will help solidify things alittle bit although we don't know if he'll play next weekend or not. I want to see a much better showing in the next game.

SteelDad
08-13-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm DVR'ing the game later today and am looking forward to breaking it down a little, From what highlights I've seen, the O-line has serious work to do, but I have faith in Kugler.

connecticutsteel
08-13-2011, 11:40 AM
What i saw was one team (skins) treating it like a regular season game and one team evaluating talent (pitt) that what i saw Shanahan kept his starters in for a half but our starter didn't play well and better pick it up . Look on the bright side if we don't pick it up
we will get atop 10 draft pick 10 . lol

jackhammer1
08-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey, the punting game looked solid!

Rampage
08-13-2011, 01:50 PM
I still have to watch the game, but from what I have seen, the o-line looked like Chet from Weird Science. Hopefully they can figure something out and do it quickly, otherwise Ben is going to be killed in the opener.

SteelDad
08-13-2011, 02:00 PM
What i saw was one team (skins) treating it like a regular season game and one team evaluating talent (pitt) that what i saw Shanahan kept his starters in for a half but our starter didn't play well and better pick it up . Look on the bright side if we don't pick it up
we will get atop 10 draft pick 10 . lol
You make an excellent point in your evaluation. Veteran teams like ours have one mindset while a younger team like the skins have a totally different one when approaching these preseason games.

I still have to watch the game, but from what I have seen, the o-line looked like Chet from Weird Science. Hopefully they can figure something out and do it quickly, otherwise Ben is going to be killed in the opener.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl1myvP1-CVmF9ccNU3zq2qD3G7jdR0ThXOvPwpuJO5mU3-o5MNQ

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 03:32 PM
The Redskins clearly came into this game with a purpose and from what we could tell atleast on offense they were able to accomplish that. Their line was able to handle the Steelers defensive line and their running game was somewhat effective.

The Steelers offensive line got very little push in the run game, but the pass protection was horrific. They were totally out of sync and looked lost. Granted it's the first time they've played in a game since last year and there were no OTA's to help get them ready. The Skins were in the same boat though and their line was clearly up to the task.

Rampage
08-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Honestly, I don't think this is a huge deal. Scrub teams like the Redskins always play balls out in these types of games and keep their starters in longer. I wish the team would have performed better, but they only got beat 16 to 7. It isn't like we had every starter in and got crushed 35 to nothing.

The o-line was apparently a steaming pile of crap and that is a huge concern, but I imagine they'll gain some continuity over the next few weeks. Secondary looked crappy, but there were no starters in. I would say the third preseason game will be the greatest tell: That's usually when the starters put in the most time and if they still suck, it might be time to be alarmed. First game back with a short period of time to get ready and using backups on both sides of the ball doesn't leave me frantic.

Root4Stlrs
08-13-2011, 05:57 PM
They need to get Flozell back and move Colon to right guard.

LatrobePA
08-13-2011, 06:43 PM
They need to get Flozell back and move Colon to right guard.

Yea they do..

Rampage
08-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Just watched the game (still on, but it's just scrubs, so w/e). On the o-line, I thought the trouble was coming from the two guard positions: Scott and Colon looked like they held their own for the most part. Pouncey was a little off, it seemed. A few times it looked like guys were coming in untouched from the RG position. I'm not all that worried, but I definitely would like to see Adams return and have Colon move in.

coldrolled
08-13-2011, 09:20 PM
i watched 85 miss a bunch of assigments and blocks. i dont get what the 85 fans see.

he missed a screen block.. three or four run play blocks..

he watched two LB's pass him by while blocking and they killed Leftwich for a sack.

he did have one good block that let redman turn left and make the TD.

cracks my a$$... he misses the blocks then he turns around to see the damage.. then he just stands there like maybe nobody will notice him.

SteelerCountry58
08-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Disappointed this area of weakness was not addressed via free agency/trade.
Going to be a long year for Ben if this is not handled properly.
O line and Secondary were not upgraded at all so far and thats alarming.:banging:

andyg1984
08-14-2011, 10:58 AM
just a half-*** effort from a group of guys that are collectively average .. no concerns yet .. i will say that when i watched gilbert in the second half he looked like he had sick potential in pass protection ..

jpele
08-14-2011, 12:19 PM
I'll have to admit I was wrong...I didn't want to re-sign Willie Colon but he played suprisingly well coming of the injury. Tony Hills was another surprise playing at RG , I know it's only one preseason game but he was easily the best RG all night.

Marcus Gilbert although not ready for prime time is going to be a very good player. So no ,I'm not really worries about the line play at least for the moment.

Ibleedblk&gld
08-14-2011, 12:29 PM
they only got beat 16 to 7

should have been 22-7...we have shayne graham to thank for his 2 missed FG's

Rampage
08-14-2011, 01:43 PM
should have been 22-7...we have shayne graham to thank for his 2 missed FG's

By that logic, it should have been 22-21 because Roethlisberger missed a wide open Wallace and Leftwich missed Brown on two possible TD plays.

:dunno:

Ibleedblk&gld
08-14-2011, 02:06 PM
By that logic, it should have been 22-21 because Roethlisberger missed a wide open Wallace and Leftwich missed Brown on two possible TD plays.

:dunno:

i guess

Rampage
08-14-2011, 02:14 PM
i guess

By the way, did you see that Graham has since been released? :lol:

coldrolled
08-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Tackle Tony Hills played so well at guard against the Redskins that the Steelers will keep him there and give him a chance to compete for the starting spot at right guard. ... After today, the Steelers have only one more practice that is open to the public, and that's Tuesday. They break camp after a morning practice Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11227/1167436-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml&utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral#ixzz1V6nFHhUl

TampaSteelGirl
08-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Love the part where Hines says maybe it will help Ike catch interceptions since they put sticky stuff on the cast....what is he REALLY saying there :rofl: :rofl:

K Train
08-15-2011, 01:08 PM
gilbert comin on strong and all i really have to say is TONY HILLS BABY LETS ****IN GO haha

i always said he had franchise LT potential...i was wrong but who knew he could be the first EVER franchise RIGHT GUARD.....oh yeah haha

Black@Gold Forever32
08-15-2011, 01:40 PM
If Hills cans stick at RG then cool....wouldn't be such a wasted pick then....lol

Rampage
08-15-2011, 01:42 PM
I wish Hills the best of luck at RG. It would be nice to see him finally find a place to contribute after all these years of being a project.

Kind of like Dumb and Dumber: "You totally redeemed yourself!"