PDA

View Full Version : Cam Heyward had a solid night vs. Washington

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 12:08 AM
I watched this kid pretty extensively tonight and I saw some serious potential in him. Sure there were times when he got man handled, blown off the line and driven back but overall he made some real nice plays too.

On one particular play grabbed the ball carrier with 1 had and just dragged him around a 180 and tossed him to the ground. That's some strength right there to stop a runner who's in motion like that. Several plays also he shed his blocker and moved down the line like a pro to make the play.

Sure his work was mostly against the backups but he did get some snaps against the Redskins starters as well. Overall he had a pretty good outing and gave the coaches some great tape to work with him on.

TampaSteelGirl
08-13-2011, 12:15 AM
I agree..kid had a pretty good night.

LatrobePA
08-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Living 15 minutes from the shoe I'm loving him on our team..

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 01:29 AM
One thing I'm anxious to see now is how he does the rest of the preseason games. It's obvious that Tomlin saw enough of him in the first 3 quarters to pull him and let him rest. No reason to risk injury when others still need a chance to play too.

jackhammer1
08-13-2011, 12:24 PM
He was one of the few highlights on an otherwise crappy game.

JensK
08-13-2011, 01:23 PM
I liked his overall performance. He looked like what he is a firstround rookie. Plenty of upside but looked a little confused at times which is understandable. I was not doing anything but looking at him when he was on the field. The guy is really really strong and they just could not push him anywhere. He did, as I wrote, look confused at times in terms of not finding the ball in time which our DEs usually are great at, but that'll come soon enough.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 01:39 PM
He'll learn how to better handle the blocking techniques that offensive lineman in the NFL use. Plus now that he's in the big leagues, the players are bigger, stronger, and faster than he's used. It takes time but he's very gifted and as he gets more experience he's going to be a beast.

Rampage
08-13-2011, 01:43 PM
I didn't get to see the game live, so I am really looking forward to watching him. Based on the score, I guess I won't miss a whole lot of action by watching the trenches.

SteelDad
08-13-2011, 02:01 PM
I didn't get to see the game live, so I am really looking forward to watching him. Based on the score, I guess I won't miss a whole lot of action by watching the trenches.

My thoughts exactly!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 03:36 PM
The preseason is a good time to watch the guys on the line, especially in the 2nd half. You don't get a lot of scoring usually and you can really see how guys get off blocks and try to get that initial surge into the backfield.

I was encouraged for sure with how Heyward looked. There is still a lot of work ahead and he'll have his share of struggles but the upside that he showed last night was big.

Root4Stlrs
08-13-2011, 06:03 PM

although watching the trenches (especially the OL) could be hazardous to your health if you get upset too easily - will be interested to hear your assessment -

Rampage
08-13-2011, 07:26 PM
The starting o-line was porous, but I think it was from the two guard positions more than anything. With time, I think they will improve. Definitely not as bad as I thought it would be, although still very crappy.

As far as the starting d-line, pretty meh, but I think that could be attributed to the play calling. I thought Keisel looked solid out there. Not a lineman, but I thought Worilds looked less than mediocre.

I really like Heyward at this point. He always seems to be around the ball which is great to see from a d-lineman.

Overall, I thought the Steelers played a vanilla game and focused more on getting younger guys on the field while the Redskins put a lot more effort into winning it. I'm not overly concerned at this point.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Heyward was critical of himself after evaluating his peformance. He knows he left some plays out there, was out of position at times, etc. That's good to hear, he's humble and wants to learn and get better. Just the type of player the Steelers like to have. That earns respect in the eyes of the veterans too.

connecticutsteel
08-16-2011, 11:54 AM
He has a chance to see significant time this year after the Washington game Aaron Smith's knee swelled up as did Kiesel's .So the cracks are showing not in the skills but in the bodies of the veterans . I wouldn,t suprise me if Ziggy and Cam are starting by the end of the year

JensK
08-16-2011, 12:22 PM
He has a chance to see significant time this year after the Washington game Aaron Smith's knee swelled up as did Kiesel's .So the cracks are showing not in the skills but in the bodies of the veterans . I wouldn,t suprise me if Ziggy and Cam are starting by the end of the year

I would. Hampton is not going anywhere and Keisel is still playing like a mad man. Aaron Smith I could see, but only because we know he won't finish the season.

K Train
08-16-2011, 12:48 PM
i could see the majority of the snaps being keisel, hood, heyward by seasons end.

i watched every snap he played....i wasnt disappointed in the least bit. he was 100x better than hood was his first live action (actually the majority of his first 2 seasons) and im hearing that hes shaking things up in camp even more so now.

Rampage
08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
i could see the majority of the snaps being keisel, hood, heyward by seasons end.

i watched every snap he played....i wasnt disappointed in the least bit. he was 100x better than hood was his first live action (actually the majority of his first 2 seasons) and im hearing that hes shaking things up in camp even more so now.

One thing I noticed was that he puts his hands in the air a lot to cut down on passing lanes for the QB. It seems like a lot of young guys don't do that and focus instead on collapsing the pocket. I also like how he always seems to be following the ball; didn't seem to get caught up on blocks.

K Train
08-16-2011, 01:04 PM
he was stacking and shedding blockers all day, it was a thing of beauty.

he was ont he ground a bit just from trying to bulldoze his way through but overal positive performance

andyg1984
08-17-2011, 12:07 AM
speaking of bulldoze if you re-watch the game go to 2nd quarter 6:44 .. he completely pancake blocks the OT like it was nothing .. he seems to be pretty aware too and just real natural .. if there is such a thing as a pro-bowl 5 technique i think he has just as good a chance if not better than watt, wilkerson and some of the other recent names ..

im not surprised if we start to see a hybrid look down the road too ..

Dobre Shunka
08-17-2011, 05:11 AM
As a rook he played great. I liked the way he came out and played.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-17-2011, 08:20 AM
His face streaked with sweat, defensive end Cameron Heyward put down the helmet and shoulder pads he has been carrying as part of his rookie indoctrination.
Asked to put a wrap on his first NFL training camp and one of the stranger ones of the 46 that the Steelers have staged at St. Vincent College Heyward instead offered a correction.

"It's not over yet," he said late Tuesday afternoon. "We've got one more day."
The Steelers will indeed practice one more time before leaving Latrobe. And while Wednesday's drills are closed, it is pretty safe to say that Heyward will wring everything he can out of them.
His relentlessness is one of the things that stood out during the camp that lasted nearly three weeks. Heyward's all-out playing style landed him in practice scuffles on consecutive days this week. It also led to a sitdown with some of the Steelers' offensive linemen.

They talked to Heyward about stopping when the whistle blows during lineman-on-lineman drills, although starting left tackle Jonathan Scott said it was no big deal.
"It's just the intensity of playing football," Scott said. "He definitely goes hard every play and shows that fire. Cam's a good guy. The scuffles we may have had in practice, I left it there on the practice field."

Heyward scrapped with Scott on Sunday and guard Ramon Foster the next day.
"Sometimes our egos get the best of us, and we're just trying to compete," Heyward said.

If Heyward seemed hesitant to talk about his exchanges with some of the offensive linemen, chatty free safety Ryan Clark didn't hold back.
At one point during practice yesterday, Clark chirped at the linemen about Heyward simply playing hard. Afterwards, Clark said Heyward is "far ahead" of where he expected the former Ohio State star to be after the NFL lockout wiped out all offseason practices.

"The biggest thing is he knows how to work," Clark said, "a first-rounder who comes in here and not resting on his draft pick and says 'I want to be a part of this team and I want to contribute early.' "

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin does not have to cringe about a veteran lavishing praise on a rookie for a simple season: it won't get within six zip codes of Heyward's head.
Consider his assessment of his play in the Steelers' 16-7 loss to the Washington Redskins last Friday.

"I thought the first time out there I did terrible and I've got a lot to prove," Heyward said.

Never mind that the 6-5, 285-pounder made three tackles and looked anything but overwhelmed in his first NFL game.
"He's tough on himself, but any good player is," said starting defensive end Brett Keisel, whom Heyward is backing up. "They're harder on themselves than any coach can be. If he keeps working the way he's been working, he's going to be a great player."

Effort won't be an issue as Heyward tries to reach the lofty expectations that come with being a first-round draft pick.
"He plays hard," Scott said. "It's definitely going to pay off for us."
The question is when.

It generally takes an end three seasons to get a firm grasp of the position in the Steelers' complex defense. That is due, in part, to the different techniques that have to be mastered.

Keisel played in five games as a rookie in 2002 and didn't record a tackle. Aaron Smith, the best 3-4 defensive end in Steelers history, played in six games as a rookie in 1999.
He was credited with one assisted tackle.

A steep learning curve may be why Heyward merely sees himself as a work in progress.
But because it is looking more likely that Heyward will contribute as a rookie, perhaps he should start with himself when it comes to the lighten-up department.
"If you're not hard on yourself, you're not doing anything," Heyward said. "I've got a goal in mind, and I'm going to keep working toward it."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20DE%20Heyward%20brings%20intensity%20to% 20field%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751930.html#ixzz1VHfqb3O1)

K Train
08-17-2011, 10:08 AM
awesome read.

6-5 285 my *** btw

harpo
08-17-2011, 10:14 AM
This kid will see significant playing time from day one, and....don't be surprised if he's starting by season's end.

Farrior Fan
08-17-2011, 11:07 AM
awesome read.

6-5 285 my *** btw

I was at the Skins game on Friday and there is no way that dude is 285. He is huge, but well proportioned. During warmups you could tell he was every bit as big as the other D linemen....except for Snack of course.

K Train
08-17-2011, 11:16 AM
evander is 300-310 and cam dwarfs him lol

connecticutsteel
08-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Heyward has a chance to be better than every 5 tech in his draft class because of Lebeau's system

K Train
08-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Heyward has a chance to be better than every 5 tech in his draft class because of Lebeau's system

heyward is better than every 5 tech in that class because hes just a better player. completely overanalyzed as a prospect, i had him far and away #1 as legit 34 DEs

JensK
08-17-2011, 12:51 PM
JJ Watt looked really impressive for Houston as well.

connecticutsteel
08-17-2011, 12:53 PM
heyward is better than every 5 tech in that class because hes just a better player. completely overanalyzed as a prospect, i had him far and away #1 as legit 34 DEs

I agree with you but LEbeau,s system allows him more options as opposed to hybrid 3-4 like green bay and houston or the jets

--- Added 8/17/2011 at 10:53 AM ---

WATT LOOKED GOOD BUT mARIO Williams looked slow

K Train
08-17-2011, 12:57 PM

I agree with you but LEbeau,s system allows him more options as opposed to hybrid 3-4 like green bay and houston or the jets

--- Added 8/17/2011 at 10:53 AM ---

WATT LOOKED GOOD BUT mARIO Williams looked slow

watt is playing in a gimmicky system, but as a 34 DE thats really his only and best bet.

cam is a prototype, seriously the closest thing to richard seymour weve seen since. He had some wtf moments in the first game but he was relentless, shed his blockers like he was covered in butter, and just had an overall solid showing.

for those of you who love evander, so far cam has shamed him at equal points in their careers....i said it though, cam heyward is a better 5 tech today than hood will be tomorrow, hell of a problem to have going from being sooooo old on dline to being so young with talented players.

would really like to see the lineup with hood playin nose and cam playing DE a lot in the preseason

andyg1984
08-17-2011, 01:06 PM
the Pats run an interesting D .. they are almost split between 3-4 and 4-3 whether people know it or not .. down the road (not necessarily this year) i can see cam, hood, woodley and fill in the blank DE forming a mean switch-up D line

K Train
08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
pats have no pass rushers, they run a 4 man line a lot of the time because thats the only way they can generate pressure.

the only thing i think that gets tweaked about our way more traditional 34 in the next few years is NT, we might have a more pentrating NT (like hood) over the huge body that takes up blockers like hampton

andyg1984
08-17-2011, 01:46 PM
you dont think we at least siwtch it up here and there .. im not saying 50/50 .. more like 85/15 .. i can just really see heyward and hood getting a good interior push

K Train
08-17-2011, 01:57 PM
they go with a 4 man line more often than you think...woodley plays DE a ton, thats a lineup i do like a lot though.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-17-2011, 06:28 PM
It's a two edged sword, it's one thing to be able to get in the backfield when you're on the end but getting there in the middle at NT is different in the 34. The Steelers always play the run first on the way to the QB so if Hood gets swallowed up by the Center and Guard and pushed around he isn't getting the QB.

The Steelers do play different scenarios on the DL, sometimes they have 2 DL and 2 drop back, sometimes they have 2 down and the rest are linebackers and secondary; a ton of different possibilities. In a base scheme though I think they are always going to want a big Hampton type player in the middle.

andyg1984
08-17-2011, 08:49 PM
they go with a 4 man line more often than you think...woodley plays DE a ton, thats a lineup i do like a lot though.

i know we go with 4, but you have to admit there is a diff between a structured 4-3 and one where **** is going crazy after the snap and it is not executed in the same way... we play out of two as well often it seems when kiesel drops ..

K Train
08-18-2011, 10:17 AM
idk the big fat NT is a dying breed...now you have sick athletes playing that position (raji, ngata, taylor now, ratliff) they are disruptive forces that play all over the line.

hood could be in the mold of those guys and play nose, its not as tradtional but can be used just as effective. and hes good against the run there, while he gets pushed out of the play at DE he holds his own and still manages to take up blockers and collapse the pocket