PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor broken thumb, Ben Roethlisberger minor wrist & hip injuries

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Ben's wrist got hit on pressure coming up the middle. They pulled him out and iced it down, considered minor. Also hip injury but nothing serious. Obviously he was pulled after getting banged up.

Taylor has a broken thumb, sporting a big ole cast on his left thumb. Shouldn't keep him out of the lineup once the regular season starts.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5539/37206429e.jpg

LatrobePA
08-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Why to go out and not get oline help steelers. This line and Ben will not even finish the preseason.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Ben got knocked around a couple times while he was in the game. The pressure was all over the place. Hell I would have pulled him out before all that. He came right off the field, took off his jersey and immediately got ice on his wrist. He'll be limited in camp this week I'm sure just to be safe.

steelersbabex25
08-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Why are there always more injuries in preseason games than during the regular season? It's like an unwritten rule of the NFL.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Tomlin said Ike will be out a few weeks, not sure if surgery is needed yet. Hopefully not.

LatrobePA
08-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Tomlin said Ike will be out a few weeks, not sure if surgery is needed yet. Hopefully not.

Not good because the backups look unable...

TampaSteelGirl
08-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Holy Sh*t if we don't already have enough issues at CB!! Cripes the Skins first string played the entire first half!!!

mwittman5
08-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Ike will be fine for the season. no worries

steeldoc
08-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Very intense game for pre season, both coaches really had the players motivated. The Ravens game last night was about 1/2 speed.

TampaSteelGirl
08-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Very intense game for pre season, both coaches really had the players motivated. The Ravens game last night was about 1/2 speed.

What the hell game were you watching tonight????

LatrobePA
08-13-2011, 12:10 AM

Lol, skins were fired up, not so much our team.

TampaSteelGirl
08-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Lol, skins were fired up, not so much our team.

NO shi*t...this dude was saying our coaches had OUR team fired up....yea..not so much!

DanRooney
08-13-2011, 12:12 AM

:plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1:

LatrobePA
08-13-2011, 12:13 AM
NO shi*t...this dude was saying our coaches had OUR team fired up....yea..not so much!

Camp patty cake at it's finest!

TampaSteelGirl
08-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Camp patty cake at it's finest!

Pfft...got that chit right! :yellowthumb:

$teelersRule
08-13-2011, 01:23 AM
well its not like Ike will be dropping any interceptions because of the cast he will have onů wouldn't have caught them in the first place

Real Deal Steel
08-13-2011, 01:59 AM
I"m sorry but this is a monster wake up call about the state of the starting O-line. We need help right now. Ben can't take that type of heat all year long.

SnakeEyes43
08-13-2011, 02:38 AM
With Taylor's style of play he should be fine. My senior year our safety played all season with a broken hand. And Taylor isn't exactly a ball hawk anyway...

There were also reportedly injuries to Butler and Lewis as well, but I'm not sure on the severity of the injuries on either account.

I expect Ben to be fine, but the o-line looked very shaky.

connecticutsteel
08-13-2011, 03:12 AM
well look at the bright side well have a top five draft pick next year

Mr. Goosemahn
08-13-2011, 03:21 AM
I"m sorry but this is a monster wake up call about the state of the starting O-line. We need help right now. Ben can't take that type of heat all year long.

There's only so much we can do with the "talent" we have on the O-line, lol. Outside of Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert, we don't exactly have any type of exciting talent.

Jonathan Scott is nothing more than a journey man. I'd much rather have Starks here, because he was underrated and certainly better, but his price tag was waaaaaaaay too big for him.

Kemoeatu is solid as a guard, but I'd rather use his $4 million as the large majority of a contract to someone else.

Pouncey is a stud.

We have no right guard. Two former Tennessee Volunteers are fighting for the spot, but at this point, from what I've read, they're very similar players, and I'm not very impressed with what I've seen from Ramon Foster, tbh.

Colon is good too, he's the best veteran we've got, lol.

I'd love for us to make some changes on the o-line, but it'll have to wait more time. Right now I'd be inquiring as to Asante Samuel and his availability. He'd push McFadden to the nickel and I'd be much more comfortable in such a situation. Samuel is a little bitch when it comes to the run game, but he's great in coverage and has a knack for INTs, two things we desperately need from our CB's.

As for our O-line, I've said it before and I'll say it again, it won't be cheap, but it can certainly be fixed in one year. If guys like Aaron Smith and James Farrior retire, we suddenly get a ton of cap room to invest.

If the team was willing to invest close to $12 million in Starks and Kemo this year (before injury), I see no reason why the team shouldn't invest $15 million next year when both Joe Thomas and Ben Grubbs potentially become UDFAs.

Draft Georgia's Cordy Glenn in the first round, and the line is fixed in one year. Expensive, yes, but fixed.

Thomas - Grubbs - Pouncey - Glenn - Colon/Gilbert

Ah, one can dream...

Zachintosh66
08-13-2011, 06:25 AM
I didnt see the game game, but the radio announcers were raving about the Williams OL-man...

Im still shaking my head that we had a suspect OL to begin with and that was before you cut Starks and Flo. Not saying they were the answer but, were gonna be lucky if Ben can make it to thanksgiving still healthy

Im not too worried about Ike, gives the young guys more reps the rest of preseason... Hell play week 1...

SteelCurtain68
08-13-2011, 07:26 AM
I can't believe we are going into another season without taking care of strengthening up our O-line. I agree with some of the others here, Ben won't make Thanksgiving.

Steelers086
08-13-2011, 08:29 AM
well its not like Ike will be dropping any interceptions because of the cast he will have on… wouldn't have caught them in the first place

Well.... Just like they used to say in the 50's...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/Stant123/StillLikeIke.png

coldrolled
08-13-2011, 08:31 AM
FA is for filling holes... Fix the CB spot. Fix the LT spot. we didnt..

We build thru the draft remember.... FA is not the steelers way...

Like i said we need 6'4+ 250lb QB backups ... Culpepper is out there.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 10:10 AM
I can't imagine Tomlin will let him sit the rest of camp and preseason without any work at all. I'm sure he'll give him a week to rest it and then start doing more light workouts and whatnot. If he doesn't practice at all until the season starts he could be rusty for the opener.

LatrobePA
08-13-2011, 10:29 AM
I think the FO blew it by not getting solid oline help in here through FA.

Katmandu
08-13-2011, 12:17 PM
I can't believe we are going into another season without taking care of strengthening up our O-line. I agree with some of the others here, Ben won't make Thanksgiving.I'd feel a whole lot better if we invested more help in the OL than overloading folks at WR !!

TampaSteelGirl
08-13-2011, 12:18 PM
It just blows my mind that fans can see the urgency of the OL yet the coaches, Front office and OC can't....WTF!!!!

Secondary once again is worrying me....ALOT!!!!

JensK
08-13-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't think that the FO can't see the problems on o-line but sometimes the stars just don't align in terms of picking up talent. It was simply not possible this year because of the new CBA and the cap problems. They have tried to draft players both in the second and third round who just have not panned out. The problem with picking an o-lineman in the first is that you damn well have to make sure he fits your scheme without overdrafting someone.

Rampage
08-13-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm disappointed that Ike broke his thumb, but he'll definitely be able to play in the regular season. It's not like we'll miss all of his interceptions if it is still in a cast come game time. :lol:

I have not seen the game yet, but the "highlights" I saw showed an incredibly porous offensive line. I'm really interested in watching them closely whenever the NFL Network re-airs the game today. I know there will be some issues with these guys gelling in the preseason, but it sounds like they sucked harder than a Kirby.

Blazedby92
08-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Heck Ike don't need his thumb anyways he just needs to be able to knock the ball down, we all know he can't catch anyways.

Root4Stlrs
08-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Heck Ike don't need his thumb anyways he just needs to be able to knock the ball down, we all know he can't catch anyways.

A cast might actually be helpful. LOL

nuclearchihuahuas
08-13-2011, 07:33 PM
seriously? why can't he play with a cast on? freebie weapon if you ask me

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 08:28 PM
If this were the regular season he'd be playing next week. He's got time to rest now so they might as well. If the 3 weeks holds true he'll be ready for opening weekend. If he plays in games and goes down on that hand it could make it worse, and in preseason no less.

Plus the first game is against the Ravens, not exactly a passing juggernaut.

From BRC's Droid X of Awesomeness

connecticutsteel
08-14-2011, 12:49 AM
There's only so much we can do with the "talent" we have on the O-line, lol. Outside of Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert, we don't exactly have any type of exciting talent.

Jonathan Scott is nothing more than a journey man. I'd much rather have Starks here, because he was underrated and certainly better, but his price tag was waaaaaaaay too big for him.

Kemoeatu is solid as a guard, but I'd rather use his $4 million as the large majority of a contract to someone else.

Pouncey is a stud.

We have no right guard. Two former Tennessee Volunteers are fighting for the spot, but at this point, from what I've read, they're very similar players, and I'm not very impressed with what I've seen from Ramon Foster, tbh.

Colon is good too, he's the best veteran we've got, lol.

I'd love for us to make some changes on the o-line, but it'll have to wait more time. Right now I'd be inquiring as to Asante Samuel and his availability. He'd push McFadden to the nickel and I'd be much more comfortable in such a situation. Samuel is a little bitch when it comes to the run game, but he's great in coverage and has a knack for INTs, two things we desperately need from our CB's.

As for our O-line, I've said it before and I'll say it again, it won't be cheap, but it can certainly be fixed in one year. If guys like Aaron Smith and James Farrior retire, we suddenly get a ton of cap room to invest.

If the team was willing to invest close to $12 million in Starks and Kemo this year (before injury), I see no reason why the team shouldn't invest $15 million next year when both Joe Thomas and Ben Grubbs potentially become UDFAs.

Draft Georgia's Cordy Glenn in the first round, and the line is fixed in one year. Expensive, yes, but fixed.

Thomas - Grubbs - Pouncey - Glenn - Colon/Gilbert

Ah, one can dream...lol You can't seriously think that Thomas is coming here we will be lucky to make it under the cap this year

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2011, 03:13 AM
Taylor surgery 'probable'
Sunday, August 14, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It is "probable" that cornerback Ike Taylor will have surgery after his left thumb was broken in the preseason opener Friday night against the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field, a team source said Saturday.

The source also said Taylor, who injured his thumb on the first defensive series, will be out about three weeks. That should allow him to return for the Sept. 11 regular-season opener in Baltimore.

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11226/1167311-66.stm#ixzz1UytEJ5Rs)

coldrolled
08-14-2011, 09:32 AM
this will give the other 5 CB's plenty of touches. we need an answer... this may help find it.

LatrobePA
08-14-2011, 01:36 PM
I can't imagine Tomlin will let him sit the rest of camp and preseason without any work at all. I'm sure he'll give him a week to rest it and then start doing more light workouts and whatnot. If he doesn't practice at all until the season starts he could be rusty for the opener.

this will give the other 5 CB's plenty of touches. we need an answer... this may help find it.

May be a great chance for someone to fn step up!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Sunday, August 14, 2011

Cornerback Ike Taylor will have surgery Tuesday to repair his broken left thumb, an injury sustained on the second play of Friday night's preseason opener against the Washington Redskins.

Taylor is expected to be out about three weeks and return in time for the Sept. 11 season opener in Baltimore.

Also, rookie running back Baron Batch will have surgery Wednesday to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee, ending his season. Batch was injured last week while making a cut on the artificial turf field at training camp.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11226/1167380-66.stm#ixzz1V3uERDBV

Mr. Goosemahn
08-15-2011, 02:00 AM
lol You can't seriously think that Thomas is coming here we will be lucky to make it under the cap this year

Nope, I don't think he comes here lol, hence the "Ah, one can dream..."

As for the cap situation next off-season, I think we'll be in much better shape next year than this year, and here's why:

- Troy Polamalu will be extended, meaning his cap hit for the first few years of his deal will be slightly less than the hit he's got now, clearing up a bit of room for us. Most deals for veterans are back-loaded, and I fully expect that to be the case for this contract.

- There are a couple of guys who could possibly retire, such as James Farrior, Aaron Smith, etc. Those guys will also clear up cap space.

- Cap Room itself grows every year, meaning that even if all contracts remain the same, the amount of room available is larger and thus we've got more space.

- One negative though, Timmons will be extended and for a hefty amount, so that will reduce the space. Also, the restructurings might take advantage of this year.

Overall, I think we'll have more cap room than we do right now. We're less $4 million under the cap, which is basically just enough to sign a veteran or two in case of an injury to someone.

--- Added 8/15/2011 at 12:00 AM ---

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Cornerback Ike Taylor will have surgery Tuesday to repair his broken left thumb, an injury sustained on the second play of Friday night's preseason opener against the Washington Redskins.

Taylor is expected to be out about three weeks and return in time for the Sept. 11 season opener in Baltimore.

Also, rookie running back Baron Batch will have surgery Wednesday to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee, ending his season. Batch was injured last week while making a cut on the artificial turf field at training camp.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11226/1167380-66.stm#ixzz1V3uERDBV

I think Taylor will definitely play vs. Baltimore. Broken thumb isn't an injury that limits him a lot. As some have mentioned, he doesn't really catch at all, so it's not as if we'll be missing that. As long as he's got the club, it's all good.

Keenan Lewis is the biggest winner here, has at least one more week to showcase himself as a starter.