PDA

View Full Version : Steelers second half offense in 2011, what will it be?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2011, 03:14 PM
How many times in 2010 did the Steelers put on a great first half only to come out in the 2nd half and just be completely shut down. Can't run, can't pass, 3 and out time after time. Then late in the game they come up with some 4th quarter heroics to pull out the win. Many times it works, sometimes it doesn't. No need to revisit last February but you all know what I mean right...

One thing I would love to see but not convinced I will by any means, is the Steelers offense be able to sustain momentum going into the 2nd half. I'm tired of of watching the team go up by 14-17 points headed into the 4th quarter and then see a lead squandered. Yes the defense is to blame too, but from an offensive standpoint for this discussion the team tends to get stonewalled until their backs are against the wall with the game on the line.

Thank goodness for heroics by guys like Ben, Mike Wallace, Hines Ward, Antonio Brown, Rashard Mendenhall, that can pull out a big play. Still though, lets try and focus in the 2nd half and pour on the offense to we don't have so many ulcers and heart attacks late in the game.

This mindset of, "oh we're up by a 10+ points so let's protect the lead" is outdated and costly in the modern era of the NFL.

Rampage
08-12-2011, 03:18 PM
I think they get too tight in the *** on offense; it was a problem under Cowher and it is a problem under Tomlin. The defense is usually good, but not whenever they are on the field too often during the second half. The conservative play calling keeps the defense on the field and give the opponent more chances. I don't anticipate any change.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Part of the problem to me is still everybody still learning and adjusting with playing each other......Sure Ben still has Ward and Miller who he has played with for years now......But Wallace, Mendenhall, Sanders, Brown are all still young players......Plus the musical chairs due to injury along the OL last year didn't help the offense any....If this current core can stay together for years then I do believe we will see a consistent high powered offense.....

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2011, 04:30 PM
I agree that the musical chairs on the offensive line doesn't help matters any. That's been a problem for yeears; just once I'd like to see the same 5 start and finish the year. Wishful thinking I suppose but..

The Steeler mentality has always been to get and protect a lead rather than put your foot on the throat of the opponent and stomp on it. They go conservative rather than balls out and it opposition gets a chance to come back. Let's face it when a team that was down starts sniffing a comeback they get motivated in a big way. The offense then has to try and match that and then we get into trouble because they can't light the fire again that they had in the first half.

Occasionally you'll see them blow a team out, like the Panthers last year I think it was, but more often than not the mid 3rd quarter is a nightmare for the the Steelers which then turns into a wreteched 4th quarter.

TampaSteelGirl
08-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Just the thought of this is making me nervous already....

Not sure if they thrive on the last minute heroics or not but sometimes you can't always make that play work..we need to take a big lead and run with it...not sit back and chill out and "just keep our lead". We need to keep moving foward with every play, every drive, every quarter till 60 minutes are over and we win. This having a big lead in the first half then kicking back enjoy the scenery is pure bull...Not sure why the momentum needs to change just because we are winning..hell the Pats don't care, they keep driving the ball down their opponents throats, Steelers need to do the same!:tt02:

Goodfrom55
08-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Keep your foot on the gas until you are up by 3 scores or it's midway through the 4th quarter.

steelersbabex25
08-12-2011, 06:57 PM
More like Steelers second half, period. Defense and offense always seem to shut down when the second half rolls around. They could be up 50-0 and halftime and somehow it would still turn out to be a nailbiter.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 10:22 PM
The late game heroics don't always work, but for whatever reason they can't seem to do anything in the second half until they are either down or are on the verge of losing by a late drive by the other team. They do this to themselves all the time. I don't buy that teams figure them out and shut down the Steelers after halftime. Every team knows what we're doing and they can't stop it in the first half. Even if they don't know, there is no reason to allow them to adjust that much between the 2nd and 3rd quarter. The offense is way too diverse and the defense is too good.

It reminds all too often of the Cowher years, just get a lead and sit on it. I wish every single week that they would get that killer instinct in the 2nd half like other teams do. You don't see Belichick sitting on a lead. Peyton Manning comes out firing in the 2nd half. This thinking that "it doesn't matter how we win, by 1 or 50" only goes so far. Take your destiny into your own hands and stop reacting in the second half. Take the initiative and put teams away.

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Last year it was collapse into the arms of our defense with just enough left to pull out a squeaker almost all the time. Wouldn't it be nice to see a blow out team.