PDA

View Full Version : Do you miss "3 yds. and a cloud of dust"?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2011, 09:11 AM
The days of Barry Foster, Bam Morris, Jerome Bettis, hell even Tim Whorley (ok bad example) are long gone. The Ron Ehrhardt ground & pound offense, the offense that old school Steeler fans still want to see is a thing of the past. It's been that way for quite some time now.

In the latter years of The Bus, you could start to see even then that things were changing. Ben Roethlisberger was drafted, Willie Parker became to focal point of the run game and the Steelers began to look for ways to open up their offense. There was just too much talent to not throw the ball. The way the NFL offenses were evolving, the grind it out run game was quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Fast Forward to today and one look at the Steelers personnel on offense tells you even more how much things have changed. Yes Rashard Mendenhall has 1273 yds. rushing and 13 TD's, but to anyone who's watched the Steelers, things are different now. If you ask me they show no signs of ever going back. Bruce Arians, Mike Tomlin, and the Rooney's can preach all they want about being more effective running the ball but the fact is the Steelers are a pass first offense now.

Sometimes I miss the 3 yds. and a cloud of dust, especially when you're trying to close out the game late in the 4th quarter and you see the Steelers constantly getting stuffed. Then the next week I see Ben hitting Wallace on a 50 yd. touchdown and think, "yeah this isn't so bad".

ejsteeler
08-12-2011, 09:12 AM
I miss everything about football before goodhell got his hands in things. :evilshake:

LarryNJ
08-12-2011, 09:20 AM
A 50 yard pass or 10 5 yard runs..it's all good!

I look at the time of possession stat. As long as we are one of the best in that (which we have been) the offense and defense are doing their jobs.

You're right it comes in very handy when trying to close out a game.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2011, 10:19 AM
I can't realistically sit here and say that I'd rather go back to not being able to throw the ball. To realize that if a team stops the run, our chances of winning are cut drastically. On the flip side, there weren't many team that could stop the Steelers run game in the regular season. Now in the post season that's a different story. we all remember the cowher years of going into the playoffs and trying to pass to catch up after getting down. Interceptions, fumbles, dropped passes, it's all too clear in our minds still probably.

I like the offense the way it is now, the ability to strike quick and score 30+ points a game if we need too. However, even with Mendenhall's carries last year he got stuffed a fair amount of the time, as reflected by his 3.9 ypc average. So give me the Steelers offensive line from the 90's and the passing game of today!

TampaSteelGirl
08-12-2011, 10:49 AM
I miss everything about football before goodhell got his hands in things. :evilshake:

True dat:yellowthumb:

I don't think we'll see a back as good as Bettis for a very long time....I was hoping for Baron Batch to possibly be that guy but after his injury we will have to wait another year to find out...

jpele
08-12-2011, 11:38 AM
I miss the 3 yards and a cloud of dust...it was fun to watch a team know exactly what was coming and still not be able to stop it. Besides we have all these weapons on offense and yet we only rank 16th in scoring.

Maybe when the day comes that we get a real OC I'll enjoy the high flying offense a little more. :yesnod:

Speeed
08-12-2011, 12:46 PM
I don't think of it as calculated change in the NFL, I think it is more due to a change in the college athlete. After all, that is where the talent comes from. College draftees set the tone in the league, they don't change much once they get there.

Nolrog
08-12-2011, 01:02 PM
To me, watching the Steelers march on a 13 play, 9+ minute drive in the 4th quarter when everyone knew they were going to run would give me. . . Er, get me excited. Here we are, you know we're gonna run it, we know you know, but you still can't stop us.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Nope don't miss it at all........3yds and a cloud of dust led to many let downs under Cowher.......lol The two times Cowher coached teams reached the Super Bowl is when Cowher opened up the offense.....The 1995 season O'Donnell was throwing to 5 WR's all season.....Sure Bam Morris and Erric Pegram were a nice RB combo but the passing game was huge that season in the Steelers reaching Super Bowl XXX vs the Cowboys....

Then in Ben's 2nd season and the road to Super Bowl XL in the play-offs Cowher/Whisenhunt threw the ball early in games to build a lead.......

You have to run the football and I still agree its important but I rather see an offense that is pass first and run 2nd......But we all know some of our fans and even players on our defense (Troy Polamalu) rather see the Steelers pound the football all day to help our D.........If the offense scores 30+ on a consistent basis that will greatly help our D.....I say let Ben throw 35+ a game......lol The OL and WR's must also step up to help him out........

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2011, 01:42 PM
To me, watching the Steelers march on a 13 play, 9+ minute drive in the 4th quarter when everyone knew they were going to run would give me. . . Er, get me excited. Here we are, you know we're gonna run it, we know you know, but you still can't stop us.

Now in the 4th quarter when the offense tries to run out the clock: teams know we're going to run, we know we're going to run it, and they stop us! LOL. Sad but true.

Goodfrom55
08-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Loved Ron Earhardts playbook and playcalling. Part of Steelers football has always been the power ground game, but al lot of that was out of necessity because of the lack of talent at QB (Bradshaw notwithstanding). I like our offense now, but what drives me insane is when it is 3rd and 2 and the Steelers line up 5 wide. REALLY? There is a lot of talk around camp with Heath lining up in the backfield. That is interesting becuase he is a teriffic blocker and catches everything. Do I miss 3 yards and a cloud of dust? Sometimes.

cmerrifield
08-12-2011, 02:30 PM
I do not miss it. I hated that mentality. I loved it though when the Steelers surprised the Colts in the 2005 playoff game by coming out throwing and getting a good lead. I love the more balanced offense, I just wish we wouldnt try and pass against great pass defenses and run against great run defenses.

andyg1984
08-12-2011, 03:26 PM
a running game is more of a luxury these days imo .. not really even a debatable topic at this point what the better approach is ..

i think the more interesting question on D maybe 10 years down the road might be is whether or not great pressure is still more important than great coverage? because if we get to the point where defenders have an even more narrow strike zone on the QB and there are even restrictions on blitzing the case can be made that a stacked secondary gets a better ROI..