PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to sign WR Jericho Cotchery

mwittman5
08-11-2011, 03:00 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter

Former Jets WR Jericho Cotchery will agree to terms today on a one-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers. More at ESPN.com.

Good insurance in case Sanders foot doesn't get better.

Big T
08-11-2011, 03:01 PM
According to Adam Schefter on twitter:

@AdamSchefter: Former Jets WR Jericho Cotchery will agree to terms today on a one-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers. More at ESPN.com

Zachintosh66
08-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Plaxi-who? Limas-what? :clap:

Rampage
08-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Have to wonder if this means the end of Sweed's or Battle's tenure. No way the team will carry Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Sweed, Battle and Cotchery.

SteelCityMan786
08-11-2011, 03:10 PM
I would imagine Battle and Sweed are gone.

Big T
08-11-2011, 03:14 PM
I would imagine Battle and Sweed are gone.

Are you assuming they only keep 5 WRs? They kept 6 lat year and I imagine they keep 6 this year. Cut Battle. He is useless. Like I've said in a million other threads, if Sweed shows ANYTHING in the preseason, you keep him.

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Guess he doesn't mind sharing play time now then? :thinking:

mwittman5
08-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Guess he doesn't mind sharing play time now then? :thinking:

He just wants a contract. Now we have one of the deepest groups of WR's in the NFL. Wallace, ward, sanders, brown, cotchery. Thats pretty dang good.

steelersgal86
08-11-2011, 03:20 PM
:woot: I think this is great news!!!!!

Big T
08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers agreed to a one-year deal with former New York Jets receiver Jerricho Cotchery on Thursday, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Jets released Cotchery last week and soon after signed former Baltimore Ravens receiver Derrick Mason. Coach Rex Ryan said that Cotchery asked to be traded or released.

Cotchery, 29, was drafted by New York in the fourth round out of North Carolina State in 2004 and worked his way into the Jets' starting lineup after a few seasons. Sure-handed and consistent, he has 353 career catches for 4,474 yards and 18 touchdowns.

Despite offseason back surgery, Cotchery expressed a desire to regain his starting job, especially with Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards headed to free agency. The Jets re-signed Holmes for $50 million and let Edwards walk, but instead of turning to Cotchery for the No. 2 job, they made a frantic pitch for Plaxico Burress. They gave Burress a $3 million contract, considerably more than Cotchery's 2011 salary of $1.8 million.

Cotchery won't be starting in Pittsburgh either but will add depth to a talented receiver corps that boasts veterans Mike Wallace, Hines Ward and second-year players Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders, who impressed as rookies. Ward, however, was just recently activated off the physically-unable-to perform list after having offseason thumb surgery and Sanders had foot surgery this offseason.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6853722/jerricho-cotchery-lands-pittsburgh-steelers

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
He just wants a contract. Now we have one of the deepest groups of WR's in the NFL. Wallace, ward, sanders, brown, cotchery. Thats pretty dang good.

I'm thinking you just might be right...:greengrin:

Ibleedblk&gld
08-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Officially official...it's about time we do SOMETHING in FA

@steelers: We have agreed to terms with WR Jerricho Cotchery

LatrobePA
08-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I like the move, will he be a pro bowler, NO but he'll fill in nicely..And If I remember right he's a tough SOB that isn't afraid of contact...

Troyisabeast_43
08-11-2011, 03:40 PM
I like the signing as well. Anything that can help Ben Roethlisberger have more weapons around him to get the football too is a good thing. The o-line is still the one thing that concerns me a great deal. Any chance we resign Starks and re-do his contract?? Did anybody pick him up yet??

Black@Gold Forever32
08-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Rather let the young kids get more playing time then have Cotchery stand in their way.......At least he does provide some insurance just case Sander's foot injury keeps nagging him............

Troyisabeast_43
08-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Rather let the young kids get more playing time then have Cotchery stand in their way.......At least he does provide some insurance just case Sander's foot injury keeps nagging him............

Im with you 32 I would rather see Sanders and Brown play and catch more passes then Cotchery. But you gotta admit having a receiving core that now consists of Hines,Wallace,Cotchery,Sanders,Brown,and Heath Miller is pretty damn good. Plus, the other positive of signing Cotchery is he doesnt go to the Ravens and give them a much needed veteran receiving threat that they desperatly need. I think Flacco and that Ravens passing game and offense could be in for a very long day in the opener against this Steelers defense.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-11-2011, 03:48 PM
It's a real solid insurance move. He can go acros the middle and be an intermidiate target as needed. It's always nice to have a veteran available in a backup role.

SteelerNC
08-11-2011, 03:50 PM
woohoo....another threat is always welcome, even though he went to NC State :)

K Train
08-11-2011, 03:53 PM
this is dumb

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2011, 04:03 PM
this is dumb

Whats dumb is having no LaMarr Woodley sig....just sayin! :grin1:

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Shouldn't we be using this $ on our O line?

Farrior Fan
08-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Sorry, but I would rather pickup a halfway decent CB or safety. Even if they didnt start they would push the other DBs. We already have a top 5 if not the best set of WRs in the league. Manny seems to think he will be back soon, I'm scratching my head on this one. Please prove me wrong Jerrico. Of course maybe he can play Oline or TE.

Maybe we will trade Ike for Orton later today

LatrobePA
08-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Sorry, but I would rather pickup a halfway decent CB or safety. Even if they didnt start they would push the other DBs. We already have a top 5 if not the best set of WRs in the league. Manny seems to think he will be back soon, I'm scratching my head on this one. Please prove me wrong Jerrico. Of course maybe he can play Oline or TE.

We already have them on the roster...Sooner or later Tomlin needs to start plugging the young guys in.

Oline will never be priority, not sure why...

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2011, 04:18 PM

Well as I've said several times in several different threads this entire CB situation makes me sick with worry...There is no reason not to pick up a good CB in FA, Im sorry..as good as a pick up as I think Cotchery is, we have such a more horrible situation at CB.

--- Added 8/11/2011 at 02:18 PM ---

We already have them on the roster...Sooner or later Tomlin needs to start plugging the young guys in.

Oline will never be priority, not sure why...

Because Ben can hold his own..proved that. If a big man can run and run with 3 men on top of him and he can make the play..we're all good...right? :yellowthumb:

SteelDad
08-11-2011, 04:19 PM
I can understand the arguments for those that wanted a DB or O-lineman, but if we we're going to go WR, this is a good get. If the top 4 guys are healthy then great, but if not, you have a quality guy to fill in.

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2011, 04:21 PM
well didn't I read somewhere (bad memory) where they were planning on using Heath Miller as a "wide outish" man on field.....or am i nuts?

LatrobePA
08-11-2011, 04:29 PM
well didn't I read somewhere (bad memory) where they were planning on using Heath Miller as a "wide outish" man on field.....or am i nuts?

NUTZ!

SteelDad
08-11-2011, 04:31 PM

I'm sure they will but the problem is that when he is in the 4 and 5 wide, everyone knows he isn't going deep. More likely a curl or in/out route. Another WR keeps the deep threat alive.

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2011, 04:56 PM
NUTZ!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/09/steelers-could-get-wideout-help-from-heath-miller-tyler-grisham/

I've got your nutz right here in my hands!!!! :rofl:

86WARD
08-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Are you assuming they only keep 5 WRs? They kept 6 lat year and I imagine they keep 6 this year. Cut Battle. He is useless. Like I've said in a million other threads, if Sweed shows ANYTHING in the preseason, you keep him.

Battle brings more to the table at this point than Sweed. He's a better receiver than Sweed and a million times better on special teams which is why he is here...

LatrobePA
08-11-2011, 05:12 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/09/steelers-could-get-wideout-help-from-heath-miller-tyler-grisham/

I've got your nutz right here in my hands!!!! :rofl:

Boobies, now this...I'm leaving! hahahahaha

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Boobies, now this...I'm leaving! hahahahaha

hahahahahahaa!! Did you read the article?? It's about Heath

LatrobePA
08-11-2011, 05:19 PM
No not yet too damn busy at work...

connecticutsteel
08-11-2011, 05:27 PM
This is good news HE IS SURE HANDED

K Train
08-11-2011, 05:29 PM
hes better than el and battle but he still sucks. hes pretty much exactly like ward when it comes to production. yawn

LatrobePA
08-11-2011, 05:33 PM
hes better than el and battle but he still sucks. hes pretty much exactly like ward when it comes to production. yawn

You're killing my buz! lol

Fitz wouldn't sign a one year w/ us for beans so we're stuck..

K Train
08-11-2011, 05:37 PM
i just think its a step in the wrong direction

cmerrifield
08-11-2011, 06:01 PM
i just think its a step in the wrong direction

I am not so sure, Sweed is still on the fence, Grisham is playing pretty well, but still unproven. I am guessing Sweed and Grisham are battling out for one spot and Cotchery and Battle are fighting for the other. Just a guess though. We need six WR's again just in case Sanders' foot never heals and because Ward is like 100 years old.

Scorp
08-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Cotchery has 358 career receptions, but his numbers fell considerably last season in New York. He hauled in just 41 passes in 14 games in 2010, his lowest reception total since he became a starter in 2006.

Blazedby92
08-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Plax won't sign Hines is old Sanders hurt and Sweed sucks not much choice and I'll take
Ward's production just about anytime.
Not a bad sign just not a flashy one

steelchamp204
08-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Would have prefered maybe putting that money on a decent cb. Decent is an upgrade from McFadden and Gay lastyear. But We have him for insurance.

LatrobePA
08-12-2011, 12:31 AM
I got a feeling we're gonna get some play from one of the young DB's..

Raleigh Steel
08-12-2011, 06:18 AM
is there an upgrade to CB out there right now?

is there an upgrade to the OL out there right now?

we had a chance to upgrade the WR position and we did. sweed sucks, he can't catch and is an egg shell. sanders is hurt, ward is on his last leg...there are many reasons to bring this kid in. he solidifies the position. he's not great, but good enough for this team.

and with a one year contract, he's gonna play his arse off for a bigger payday with us or with someone else next year.