PDA

View Full Version : Is Bill Cowher a Hall of Fame Coach?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-11-2011, 08:18 AM
The Trib (Starkey:%20Cowher%20a%20Hall%20of%20Famer?%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751049.html#ixzz1UimON7sp) did an article on this and it kinda got me thinking. (here's an excerpt)

Bill Cowher, who along with Bill Parcells becomes eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame next year, would never be enshrined in my Hall of Fame. Not unless he comes out of retirement and wins another Super Bowl or two.

Nothing personal, mind you. But my Hall of Fame is reserved for legends of the game.
The roster of coaches is patently obvious. That's the point. Only the obvious belong in any Hall of Fame.

My coaches include Vince Lombardi, George Halas, Paul Brown, Chuck Noll, Curly Lambeau, Don Shula, Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, Weeb Ewbank and Joe Gibbs anyone who would prompt an immediate and emphatic "Yes!" to the question: Was he an all-time great?

Cowher wasn't.

It's beyond me how any coach who didn't win multiple championships would even merit consideration, unless we're talking about a genius innovator. But that brings us back to the real Hall of Fame, where there is no rationale whatsoever for selecting coaches.
Cowher has an excellent shot at the real Hall of Fame.
In 15 seasons with the Steelers, Cowher produced a robust regular-season winning percentage of .623, a 12-9 playoff record, two AFC titles and a Super Bowl championship. In the wake of his retirement five years ago, I wrote that he should be a lock, given that men with weaker credentials including ring-less wonders Bud Grant and Marv Levy had already been enshrined.

I had forgotten that Cowher was eligible as of next year. We all figured he'd be the coach of the Browns by now, or maybe the Giants. I know a lot of the Giants fans are hoping Cowher takes over in 2012.

Either way is Cowher really a Hall of Fame caliber coach? If so, is he a 1st ballot candidate?

I wouldn't say he's a first ballot lock by any means. He's got a career record of 149-90-1 during his tenure in Pittsburgh. (that Falcons game still haunts fans today). I wouldn't be surprised if he does make it in at some point though, his playoff record of 12-9 is nothing to sneeze at but all those lost AFC Championship Games still sting the Steeler Nation.

LarryNJ
08-11-2011, 08:41 AM
He doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. He was a good coach but far from a great coach. Not only did he lose all those playoff & championship games games, he lost them when he had the better team.

If he's a HOF coach so is Andy Reid.

LatrobePA
08-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Nope...

K Train
08-11-2011, 09:14 AM
absolutely not, not even close

LarryNJ
08-11-2011, 09:20 AM
What about Parcells?
Even though he has 2 SB's I'd say no to him too.

LatrobePA
08-11-2011, 09:23 AM
What about Parcells?
Even though he has 2 SB's I'd say no to him too.

Nope on him too...

K Train
08-11-2011, 09:27 AM
absolutely yes on parcells, hes been so involved in the sport for so long and has produced a TON of coaches from his staff. His team management, coaching, scouting all have been top notch

Blazedby92
08-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Hell no to Cowher and most likely to Parcells, nows how to get the most of his players.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Rumors have him tied to the Giants in 2012, if he comes back then things could change. I still think he'll make it in at some point but not a first round candidate.

Parcells should be a no brainer, the things he's done in New England, New York, Dallas, Miami, all the coaches he's had that are now holding prominent spots in the league.

connecticutsteel
08-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Cower was a great coach but not a legdendary coach no on Bill Cower

Blazedby92
08-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Not worried
Too much a players coach
Better hope he has a staff around him like the Steelers did, good but far from great coach

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2011, 12:17 PM
While i'll always love Coach Cowher..im a bit on the fence about HOF..

chisteeler
08-11-2011, 12:34 PM
If he does go in the HOF, wouldn't it be funny if they made his bust with his legendary chin scow...

Rampage
08-11-2011, 12:37 PM
No. Too many squandered opportunities in the playoffs. "Oh boy, we're up by 6. Better let the foot off the gas on offense and try to hold this lead."

JensK
08-11-2011, 12:46 PM
He coached for how many years, and he brought home how many SB trophies?

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2011, 12:49 PM
If he does go in the HOF, wouldn't it be funny if they made his bust with his legendary chin scow...

and spittle coming from his lips! :rofl:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Right now Cowher isn't a hall of fame coach but if he comes back to coaching and wins another Super Bowl or two that will help his case.....As for Parcells I would say he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.........Parcells spawned Bill Belichick.....lol

SteelDad
08-11-2011, 03:28 PM
While I believe Cowher is NOT a HoF coach, it seems there are almost two divisions now when it comes to coaches getting in. You've got guys who are in from the old NFL where there were less teams. They would win some titles, coach some HoF'ers and get in themselves. Now you have these guys like Cowher who have been to two SBs and won 1. Been to the playoffs a lot, etc. The point about Andy Reid was a good one. The man has a pretty impressive record, but the one that sticks out is 0 for 1 in SB and 1 for what? 7? in the NFC title game? It'll be interesting, but I don't think Bill gets in. Certainly not on first ballot.

Parcells is a no-brainer. 3 SBs (2 for 3). His coaching tree alone is impressive. He helped resurrect other franchises. And most importantly, the media loves him.

steelersbabex25
08-11-2011, 04:55 PM
He put together a good team over the years, but barely did anything with it. I think the fact that he had such a good team for such a long time and it took him 13ish years to win a superbowl is the reason that he won't make it into the HOF.

Big T
08-11-2011, 04:59 PM
No...

DIESELMAN
08-11-2011, 07:34 PM
In 15 seasons with the Steelers, Cowher produced a 12-9 playoff record, two AFC titles and 1 Super Bowl championship. Nuff said.....Hell no!!!!!

- Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

Steel Trap86
08-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Cowher is a great coach, but he's not a legend. I don't see him getting in

As for Parcells, that guy is one of the best of all time. He produced too many head coaches today, Bill Bellichik (3 superbowls) Sean Payton (1 Superbowl) Tom Coughlin (1 Superbowl) Tony Sporano just to name a few. Parcells is a legend. He'll get in.

airbrake 1
08-12-2011, 05:59 AM
i would personally say no right now...but how many of the people on here saying no to cowher if asked about tony dungy would be saying dungy is HOF material...double standard

LarryNJ
08-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Tony Dungy? No way! He was worse than Cowher in the playoffs.

Blazedby92
08-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Dungy rode the shirt tales of many to get where he is now, Kiffin is the reason they won games in TB all they needed was offense minded coach insert Chucky, SB win. Manning and a little dumb move by Lovie for going with Grossman, SB win.

He never had a defense in Indy and he was suppose to be a defensive guru atleast by Indiana fans prospective.