PDA

View Full Version : Cam Heyward winning over the veterans

harpo
08-10-2011, 04:47 PM
LATROBE, Pa. — Ziggy Hood heard the name, knew the pedigree and wondered exactly what the Pittsburgh Steelers were getting into when they chose defensive lineman Cameron Heyward with the 31st pick in the NFL draft.

A first-round pick from Ohio State whose father Craig is a Steel City legend following his career at Pitt? That could lead to a combustible mix of ego and privilege, right?

“It’s the recipe for it,” Hood said.

Just not with Heyward.

The rookie doesn’t really do ego. He doesn’t do privilege either. Instead, you’ll find him doing the things that rookies — even first-round picks — are supposed to do during a first training camp. If he’s not carrying the pads of a veteran teammate off the field following practice then he’s picking up the tab for the defensive line’s late-night snacks.
“He’s a rookie, and he acts like a rookie,” said defensive tackle Casey Hampton. “That’s a major thing. You kind of probably wouldn’t think that from his background but obviously his father and his mama did a great job of keeping him grounded.”
Heyward didn’t really have a choice. His father, Craig, mother Charlotte and older brothers Craig Jr. and Corey made sure Heyward knew his place.

READ THE REST HERE:

Steelers rookie winning over veterans (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/pittsburgh-rookie-cam-heyward-winning-over-vets-with-humble-attitude/2011/08/09/gIQAzyl34I_story.html)

LatrobePA
08-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Good stuff....

Big T
08-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Love him (a little homo)

BlitzburghRockCity
08-10-2011, 05:40 PM
It's great to see a guy who's going to get significant playing time catching on so quick. Catching on in camp is all well and good, and getting a good grasp of the concepts is fine. I want to see that translate on the field and see how well he does against competition from a different team.

Let's see how he does in preseason, is he able to hold his own and keep his man occupied or will he get man handled and blown off the ball? There will be a learning curve in real game situations but you have to love how he's been progressing so far.

I'm excited to see him and Hood get on the field. Heyward isn't going to unseat Keisel or Smith at this point, but given the fact that the Steelers carry 6 defensive lineman during the year, he'll get a lot of playing time.

LarryNJ
08-10-2011, 08:52 PM
How much playing time do you think he'll get this year? 5 or 6 plays a game?

DanRooney
08-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Love him (a little homo)

Ok KTrain

Big T
08-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Ok KTrain

:nono:

harpo
08-10-2011, 09:32 PM
How much playing time do you think he'll get this year? 5 or 6 plays a game?

He's a 1st rd pick, so I would expect to see him get some quality playing time. Five or six plays starting out, but as the season goes on, look for that number to increase.

K Train
08-11-2011, 02:13 AM
all depends on preseason but damn he looks amazing in camp....at this point, maybe premature but i think he plays alot at end while evander plays some nose

K Train
08-11-2011, 02:14 AM
:nono:

:yellowthumb:

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Love him (a little homo)

There's nothing wrong with a man crush...just sayin :grin1:

Rampage
08-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Everything I hear about Heyward excites me. I can't wait to see what he can do on the field.