PDA

View Full Version : Do the Steelers really need to spell Rashard Mendenhall?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Kovacevic of the Tribune Review wrote an interesting article about this very subject.

The Tomlin classic of line of, "We're going to run him till the wheels fall off" still haunts Steelers fans even a few years later. Perhaps it cost Fast Willie Parker a couple extra years of his career. Perhaps not though.

Either way, Mendenhall is getting the lions share of the carries the last 2 seasons. Should the Steelers try and spell him more this season, realistically? Should they even bother doing so? Let's face it, running backs are a commodity, do you try and get everything out of him for as long as you can and thereby potentially shortening his career? Do you try and save his legs and give Redman more carries? If Mendenhall is hot can you justify pulling him out for a series or 2 just to rest him? The shelf life of quality running backs is not that long considering the pounding they take. When you factor in the Steelers offensive line troubles in recent years it potentially compounds the problem.

There are pros and cons either way. You don't want him to wear out by the time the playoffs start. With so few games in the NFL though, compared to other leagues, every win is important so you have to give it your best shot with your best players every week. Or maybe you follow the thinking that keeping him around longer is a good idea because he is a special player so give him less carries?

I have no reason to think that Redman couldn't be effective if he sees an increased role. He excels in short yardage situation but who's to say he couldn't excel with more carries between the 20's?

Excerpt from the article in the Trib (Kovacevic:%20Steelers%20must%20spell%20Mendenhall %20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_750843.html#ixzz1Udb5xaXa)

Flash forward to Baltimore on the 11th of September: Rashard Mendenhall bursts through a hole in the Steelers' line but is barreled backward by the Ravens' Ray Lewis. His ankle bends awkwardly. He is carted off the field, cringing in pain.

Mike Tomlin looks down his sideline and sends in ...

No easy answer, is there?

Well, the Steelers had better find one, sooner rather than later.

Mendenhall has been one part force, two parts workhorse the past two seasons, with 627 carries and 2,611 yards, including playoffs. That's the third-most carries in the NFL in that span. Yeah, he's 24 years young, tough, durable, and he holds onto the football more often than James Harrison thinks. But this is a grind not even Earl Campbell could sustain.

Not that anyone concerned will acknowledge it.

I asked Mendenhall about his workload yesterday at St. Vincent College, and he came back flatly: "That's part of the game, part of your job as a running back. I'm preparing to carry whatever load I'm given."

Kirby Wilson, the Steelers' running backs coach, shrugged it off, too: "He's fine. He's a young man. He's built for it, and we feel like he's a special runner. Why take him off the field?"

LatrobePA
08-10-2011, 10:57 AM
They'll wear him out...No reason not to have a solid 2nd option..

LarryNJ
08-10-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm not considered about wearing him out, but we need a better number 2 than Redman in case of injury.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-10-2011, 11:55 AM
He did seem to not have the same spring in his step by the time the super bowl got there. Perhaps that fumble doesn't happen if he's not so worn out or maybe it was just dumb luck and a good play by Mathews? Either way he's taken a pounding early on in his career and you wonder how long he'll hold up.

K Train
08-10-2011, 11:57 AM
i wouldnt mind putting another high pick in a RB soon...we dont really know where mendenhall falls on the steelers priority list and will be due for an extension coming up

connecticutsteel
08-10-2011, 12:13 PM
I think that barring injury they will extend him, but it is a good idea to have a change of pace back to keep defenses honest
all we need is Mendy ,Redman ,and Batch keep Clay on the practice squad

TampaSteelGirl
08-10-2011, 01:42 PM
He just better hold onto the ball.....:evilshake:

harpo
08-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Well, i'm not a fan of Mendenhall but I wouldn't want them to run him into the ground (ala Willie Parker). If the RBs on the current roster don't emerge as a viable option to share the load, then they should look to draft another RB.

andyg1984
08-10-2011, 07:03 PM
i wouldnt mind putting another high pick in a RB soon...we dont really know where mendenhall falls on the steelers priority list and will be due for an extension coming up

lattimore 2013 .. lol ..

i think an upgrade is way overdue at # 2 RB in the draft .. i would be up for a temporary move this year too .. id rather take a shot at an injured kevin smith than the guys we have

Big T
08-10-2011, 07:52 PM
I love me some Trent Richardson lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5D70hJrb8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNHsuyXLbCU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI6gpFTWkZY&feature=related

harpo
08-10-2011, 08:28 PM
I love me some Trent Richardson lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5D70hJrb8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNHsuyXLbCU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI6gpFTWkZY&feature=related

Richardson would be awesome!!!!!:plus1:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-10-2011, 10:55 PM
I don't think there's any question that Mendenhall is the real deal, and unless they see something in Isaac Redman that wows them in a big way, Rashard will get his payday in Pittsburgh when the time comes. He's proven he can carry the load, rarely fumbles ( I know it happens at the worst time though), and overall he's got all the tools you want in a feature back.

Big T
08-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Richardson would be awesome!!!!!:plus1:

Lol nothing more than a pipe dream. RB isn't THAT big of a need and, if all goes as planned this season, he'll be gone well before our pick in the 1st round.

He's such a monster though. My favorite back in college football since Adrian Peterson....and I'm a Gators fan lol.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-11-2011, 10:35 AM
With Batch now done for the season with his ACL tear, perhaps they put more importance on giving Rashard a break. Perhaps not though, last year it was Mendy, Redman, and Moore active on gameday and Dwyer was inactive most of the season.

Either way I think it secures Moore's job now.

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2011, 12:16 PM
With Batch now done for the season with his ACL tear, perhaps they put more importance on giving Rashard a break. Perhaps not though, last year it was Mendy, Redman, and Moore active on gameday and Dwyer was inactive most of the season.

Either way I think it secures Moore's job now.

As sick to my stomach as I am about Batch...I do like Moore. I'm glad they resigned him.
Not that he's been a big breakout player but he has been quite stable since he's been with the Steelers. Just can't stop being sick over Batch though :barf:

JensK
08-11-2011, 12:43 PM
As sick to my stomach as I am about Batch...I do like Moore. I'm glad they resigned him.
Not that he's been a big breakout player but he has been quite stable since he's been with the Steelers. Just can't stop being sick over Batch though :barf:

I feel bad for Batch too, but Moores situation remains the same. Batch would most likely not have seen the field simply because the people in front of him are pretty much identical with him. Both Redman and Moore can do what Batch can, and Mendenhall can do what all of those 3 can^2. Dwyer must sigh in relief though.

steelersbabex25
08-11-2011, 05:07 PM
I don't have a problem with running Rashard a lot, especially because I don't think he's nearly as fragile as Parker was. But when you have Redman there, and Redman has proven himself more than a couple times, I don't know why you wouldn't give him a decent amount of carries.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Mendenhall and Redman are potentially the best duo that the Steelers backfield has seen in a long time. Think about all the great backs that have worn the black 'n gold, and then look at the talent that is there now. Each of them has a role and they do it well.

It's funny, you don't think of the Steelers as a running type of team anymore. It's all pass, pass, pass with the weapons that Ben has at his disposal. When you watch the games you realize they do still run a lot, but it's not as effective as it used to be. Perhaps that's too much of 1 back, or combination of many things?