PDA

View Full Version : Jason Worilds, needing a sense of urgency?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Listening to our friends over at Trib Live Radio today talking about the Steelers training camp, the subject of Jason Worilds came up. Actually they were talking about the young Steelers linebackers in general, but on the subject of Worilds, Ken Laird mentioned a recent chat with Keith Butler, Steelers linebacker coach. Butler said that with Worilds, on the subject of the camp he's having, "with Jason some of it is physical but a lot of it is a lack of a sense of urgency and I need to get that out of him". I can't remember word for word the comments but that's the long and short of it.

Worilds is a former 2nd round pick, and seemingly the next great OLB in Blitzburgh, however it appears that perhaps he isn't quite as focused as he should be so far.

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Get ur *** in gear dawg. Course if Butler said that no telling what Worilds's reaction would be. You get my drift here.

LatrobePA
08-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Bust..

K Train
08-08-2011, 02:13 PM
...told you so

LatrobePA
08-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Is he just lazy or no good or both?

K Train
08-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Is he just lazy or no good or both?

combination of all pros sitting in front of him, the Va tech super speed turf making his workouts look way better than he is, and his uncanny ability to have always been the guy that almost gets there, but not quite.

never liked him, doubt i ever will be overly impressed with him

Blazedby92
08-08-2011, 02:25 PM
no sense of urgency=no hunger cut his arse

steelchamp204
08-08-2011, 02:30 PM
If he doesnt care, then why keep him, trade him for a 5th rounder or something. get his *** out.

K Train
08-08-2011, 02:31 PM
i guess i can only say it so many times but....shoulda kept thaddeus gibson

Rampage
08-08-2011, 02:52 PM
i guess i can only say it so many times but....shoulda kept thaddeus gibson

It was a better idea to keep a spot for Smith. He really kicked *** in the playoffs and Super Bowl last year.

Oh wait.

harpo
08-08-2011, 02:53 PM
A 'bust' already? LOL

This is, what.....him going into his second year? Give the dude a chance....lol :lol:

K Train
08-08-2011, 02:57 PM
A 'bust' already? LOL

This is, what.....him going into his second year? Give the dude a chance....lol :lol:

bust means you dont live up to expectations....i kind of expected him to suck, so no not bust.

he'll get chances, im just saying dont get to excited about him.

at least gibson offered position versatility

Zachintosh66
08-08-2011, 02:57 PM
still pissed we let T. Gibson go :evilshake:

Big T
08-08-2011, 03:02 PM
I wanted Brandon Spikes SOO bad (no homo). He and Timmons would've been sexy as f*ck together (a little homo)... Still pissed about that.

harpo
08-08-2011, 03:05 PM
bust means you dont live up to expectations....i kind of expected him to suck, so no not bust.

he'll get chances, im just saying dont get to excited about him.

at least gibson offered position versatility

I hear what you're saying but i'm not ready to give up on him, either. I think that as long as Butler is working with him, he'll eventually come around.

I remember when some on this board labeled Timmons a 'bust'. I wonder how that turned out? :greengrin: There seems to be a trend going on this board where if you don't become an 'all-pro' in your rookie season, you're a 'bust'......lol

K Train
08-08-2011, 03:06 PM
I wanted Brandon Spikes SOO bad (no homo). He and Timmons would've been sexy as f*ck together (a little homo)... Still pissed about that.

i wanted spikes, cody, or tate.

spikes would have been nice next to the old timmons, the new timmons offers MUCH more variety of who you want to put next to him. Sylvester is my dude right now, came in pure manchild. Those 2 are gonna be amazing working with each other

LatrobePA
08-08-2011, 03:07 PM
2nd round pick IMO should be playing balls out, not tucked in...

K Train
08-08-2011, 03:08 PM
I hear what you're saying but i'm not ready to give up on him, either. I think that as long as Butler is working with him, he'll eventually come around.

I remember when some on this board labeled Timmons a 'bust'. I wonder how that turned out? :greengrin: There seems to be a trend going on this board where if you don't become an 'all-pro' in your rookie season, you're a 'bust'......lol

i was talking about the timmons and mendenhall bust comments eariler and laughing at all of them who said it....but i also was able to differentiate between those guys growing into their positions and guys like urbik and bruce davis who i just thought would be pathetic from day one.

idk maybe i know what im talking about after all :-)

harpo
08-08-2011, 03:10 PM
i was talking about the timmons and mendenhall bust comments eariler and laughing at all of them who said it....but i also was able to differentiate between those guys growing into their positions and guys like urbik and bruce davis who i just thought would be pathetic from day one.

idk maybe i know what im talking about after all :-)

Oh, ok.....:yellowthumb:

BTW.....Spikes was my guy, too....which is why i wasn't salivating over Worilds or Gibson.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm not ready to label him a bust yet, not by any means. Sometimes it takes players longer to be comfortable with their role on the team and the attitude needed to achieve success in their role. Also sometimes being impatient to make more of an impact can lead to a lackadaisical approach to what's currently asked of them. Perhaps a good hard camp will give him the motivation he needs, and not just take for granted that he's the next big thing.

coldrolled
08-08-2011, 06:56 PM
maybe if he was in a rotation to play 3 or 4 plays a game he would feel like he is working for something.

two plays a year must get you down a bit... no....
just sayin.

steelcitysfinestXL
08-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Here is the full article that was written:

Timmons staying put?

Lawrence Timmons' versatility allows him to play inside and outside linebacker. The Steelers, though, are hoping he plays exclusively at right inside linebacker this season.

Timmons has moved to outside linebacker when injury necessitates it, but linebackers coach Keith Butler is hoping Jason Worilds will emerge to fill that role this season.

"I'd rather keep (Lawrence) at inside linebacker and let him get better and better at that," Butler said. "Hopefully, Jason takes that option off the field for us."

The Steelers took Worilds in the second round of the 2010 draft, but he played mostly on special teams as a rookie. The 6-2, 265-pounder registered two sacks last season, and the Steelers are hoping he is ready for a more prominent role.

"He's got a God-given ability to burst to the ball, but he doesn't use it all the time, and it's my job to get him to use it," Butler said. "A little bit of it is (understanding the defense), and some of it is just a sense of urgency. I've got to change that in him a little bit."

Read more: Batch, Ivy put on show during goal-line drills - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers

Here is another article about Woridls this camp:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11216/1165047-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Lets not label him anything yet. He is a second year guys playing behind 2 pro bowlers. He is adding weight and maintaining speed to try to keep u with his teammates. He doesnt sounds at all like a guy who is lazy or needs to be cut.

Lawrence Timmons, by all accounts, looked like WAY more of a "BUST" after his first season. He, like Worilds, was a college DE who had to learn a new Defense and a few new positions. And he was a 15th over pick, not a second rounder. Give it time people, calm down.

I understand not being crazy about the guy in the second round, esp. with some of the other guys available, but i trust Colbert and the Steelers did their homework. And dont get me wrong, i liked Thad Gibson as much as anyone, but lets not act like he was the next Jason Gildon!!! Everybody had wood for the guy and he couldnt even make the PS. He had 3 tackle all year for SF!!! He wouldnt have sniffed the 53 man roster here, sorry!

K Train
08-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Timmons staying put?

Lawrence Timmons' versatility allows him to play inside and outside linebacker. The Steelers, though, are hoping he plays exclusively at right inside linebacker this season.

Timmons has moved to outside linebacker when injury necessitates it, but linebackers coach Keith Butler is hoping Jason Worilds will emerge to fill that role this season.

"I'd rather keep (Lawrence) at inside linebacker and let him get better and better at that," Butler said. "Hopefully, Jason takes that option off the field for us."

The Steelers took Worilds in the second round of the 2010 draft, but he played mostly on special teams as a rookie. The 6-2, 265-pounder registered two sacks last season, and the Steelers are hoping he is ready for a more prominent role.

"He's got a God-given ability to burst to the ball, but he doesn't use it all the time, and it's my job to get him to use it," Butler said. "A little bit of it is (understanding the defense), and some of it is just a sense of urgency. I've got to change that in him a little bit."

Read more: Batch, Ivy put on show during goal-line drills - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers

Lets not label him anything yet. He is a second year guys playing behind 2 pro bowlers. He is adding weight and maintaining speed to try to keep u with his teammates. He doesnt sounds at all like a guy who is lazy or needs to be cut.

Lawrence Timmons, by all accounts, looked like WAY more of a "BUST" after his first season. He, like Worilds, was a college DE who had to learn a new Defense and a few new positions. And he was a 15th over pick, not a second rounder. Give it time people, calm down.

I understand not being crazy about the guy in the second round, esp. with some of the other guys available, but i trust Colbert and the Steelers did their homework. And dont get me wrong, i liked Thad Gibson as much as anyone, but lets not act like he was the next Jason Gildon!!! Everybody had wood for the guy and he couldnt even make the PS. He had 3 tackle all year for SF!!! He wouldnt have sniffed the 53 man roster here, sorry!
last i heard they like him a lot in SF, he was very young and very raw but he has sooooo much ability and a skillset that was just perfect to translate to the role we we would him for. imo he could have have been molded into a timmons role, or a woodley role and a guy with that much potential is a guy id want sitting behind 2-3 pro bowlers for a few years, i just dont see nearly as high of a ceiling with worilds.

i dont think worilds will ever be much, i never have...so im not really saying bust, and im not saying lazy, or cut him...i think gibson was an unfortunate victim of a numbers game, cause i dont think worilds outplayed gibson at all

Blazedby92
08-09-2011, 05:52 AM

Timmons staying put?

It's funny how one player can play and show that they aren't worth a roster spot (Sweed 5th YEAR journeyman, must of reevaluate the learning curve for receivers):lol: and everyone is on his nuts but then a guy like Thadeaus comes in and doesn't even take a snap he is the next Patrick Willis.

Seriously 3 tackles all year I hope he only play atleast 10 snaps because that is pretty bad especially in that conference. Oh wait he has to beat willis to the wrap up

K Train
08-09-2011, 09:37 AM
we all knew gibson was really young though and probably not ready to play despite being beastly strong and freakishly fast. i really hope he turns into a good player, i have a crush i cant help it.

sweed ive been in straight up denial, but this is the YEAR!!! lol

and worilds just sucks...everything ive seen him do at Va Tech, all the drills pre draft, and everything ive seen/heard about him since the day he was drafted just sucks

Blazedby92
08-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I had hopes for Sweed but they went sour after you just seen the potential just wasting away after just 2 years, I really thought he would be the next big receiver for the Steelers but now he's just a body in camp for the last 2 and not really even that since he can't stay healthy to play. Sweed career stats 6 catches for 69 yards

Gibson the same thing cause I didn't get to see him play much but heard alot about him and really was looking forward to watching him destroy QB's but it's becoming a play ASAP league now with him being so raw was probably his downfall and that's why Worilds better turn out to atleast be good because I haven't seen much in him or even heard good things and is already disappointing, hell Woodley even shown flashes of what he was going to bring his rookie season.

K Train
08-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I had hopes for Sweed but they went sour after you just seen the potential just wasting away after just 2 years, I really thought he would be the next big receiver for the Steelers but now he's just a body in camp for the last 2 and not really even that since he can't stay healthy to play.

Gibson the same thing cause I didn't get to see him play much but heard alot about him and really was looking forward to watching him destroy QB's but it's becoming a play ASAP league now with him being so raw was probably his downfall and that's why Worilds better turn out to atleast be good because I haven't seen much in him or even heard good things and is already disappointing, hell Woodley even shown flashes of what he was going to bring his rookie season.

theres a huge difference though, woodley was unblockable as a rookie and had clark ****ing haggans in front of him, he made them put him on the field.

now these guys have to perrenal all pros and 2 of the higest paid steelers ever in front of them. Gibson outplayed worilds last year every single time they were compared...in camp, in preseason and gibson imo has a much higher ceiling, not sating he was gonna play asap but they beauty was he didnt need to at all.

woodley was a rare example, but gibson looked to be much more fit to make the 34 transition and play LB (harrison sat for YEARS before he got a shot, which is how i wanted gibson to be developed) im still bitter about the whole thing but imo when you have 2 stud OLBs you take the one that looks like he could be better in the long run, not keep the one who was a higher draft pick just cause he was a higher draft pick.

really they should have kept both...mclendon and aaron smith roster spots were a waste, hell they even let al woods go (<3 him) last year. questionable roster moves by tomlin, time will tell but imo they were bad moves. woods and gibson have unreal potential and were in a perfect position to maximize that

as far as sweed i thought last year was gonna really be a 3rd year breakout year for him, it didnt work out that way...hes gonna get another shot i just hope its not too late for him, i thought he could have had a robert meachem-like year

Blazedby92
08-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Oh I'm with you on the Gibson,Worilds and even Woods, That's why I said Worilds better make an impression this year in spot duty

Watching him on youtube after they drafted him all I seen was him getting to the QB and then whiff on the tackle

K Train
08-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Oh I'm with you on the Gibson,Worilds and even Woods, That's why I said Worilds better make an impression this year in spot duty

Watching him on youtube after they drafted him all I seen was him getting to the QB and then whiff on the tackle

youll hear me call worilds the guy that always almost gets there but not quite probably as long as hes playing. very clark haggans-like imo, can get pressure but never really makes the play

Blazedby92
08-09-2011, 01:25 PM
I remeber people would say wonder why Haggans never gets he's dues in Pitt and I would always say because he never got his man, ever

TheMadCupcake
08-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Thad Gibson is in danger of not making the 49ers roster. Right now, he is listed as the 3rd ROLB on their first depth chart. Parys Haralson is the starter and has been for 4 years. The #1 draft pick, Aldon Smith, is his backup. Then comes Gibson.

On the left side, Ahmad Brooks is the starter. Most 49er fans think he should have started last year. He did start one game, added 5 sacks in his limited time. Antwan Applewhite is his backup and Applewhite started 13 games last season. Applewhite is 25. Brooks is 27. Harylson is 27 and Aldon Smith is a rookie. So, age is not an issue.

Unless the 49ers go heavy at OLB, Gibson should be released. :popcorn:

coldrolled
08-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Thad Gibson is in danger of not making the 49ers roster. Right now, he is listed as the 3rd ROLB on their first depth chart. Parys Haralson is the starter and has been for 4 years. The #1 draft pick, Aldon Smith, is his backup. Then comes Gibson.

On the left side, Ahmad Brooks is the starter. Most 49er fans think he should have started last year. He did start one game, added 5 sacks in his limited time. Antwan Applewhite is his backup and Applewhite started 13 games last season. Applewhite is 25. Brooks is 27. Harylson is 27 and Aldon Smith is a rookie. So, age is not an issue.

Unless the 49ers go heavy at OLB, Gibson should be released. :popcorn:

Get him back on our PS.. :cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Worilds is not having a good camp at all so far. He was constantly getting owned by nearly every blocker in front of him during drills again yesterday. He'll get significant playing time in the preseason regardless because he is the primary backup, so it would be beneficial to him to show up and make some noise starting this Friday night.

Blazedby92
08-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Heard Gibson may be available soon but hell if he can't even make the roster in San fran then the only reason I would want him is to be a under study on the PS

K Train
08-10-2011, 10:44 AM
wouldnt hate him on the practice squad at all...let him grow into the position a bit hes still 20 i think

BlitzburghRockCity
08-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has said he expects players to make the most improvement from their first to second year.

Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler has hardly been subtle in getting that across to 2010 second-round pick Jason Worilds.

"He hasn't appeared in the past to look like he's a guy that's hungry to make the team, and we want him to have that," Butler said. "We want to play him. We don't want to have to take LaMarr (Woodley) and James Harrison and let them play 950 plays this year. We want to be able to put him on the field where he knows the defense well enough that he can run to the football." With the Steelers' starting linebackers set, one of Butler's top priorities in training camp has been motivating Worilds.

The Steelers lack depth behind Woodley and Harrison, who had two back surgeries during the offseason, and Worilds is the most logical candidate to emerge among an unproven group of outside linebackers. Worilds has a "burst like Lawrence Timmons," said Butler, and that is saying something considering Timmons is arguably the hardest hitter on a defense that prides itself on physicality.

What Butler has been drilling into Worilds is the importance of playing with more intensity, especially during practices when defenders tag instead of tackle ball carriers.
"He pulls up a little bit too much, like he's been here for 10 years," Butler said. "If he's competitive, he'll get better and be a good player for us. We think he has started to move in that direction."

Worilds, who led the country in quarterback pressures (38) his final season at Virginia Tech, agrees.

"I just need to finish on a consistent basis, no matter what drill it is," said Worilds, who had two sacks last season in limited action.

Worilds suffered a possible setback Wednesday, leaving practice with groin tightness and putting in question his status for the preseason opener Friday at Washington.
Worilds, as Woodley before him, moved from defensive end in college to outside linebacker in the NFL. That transition may be why, Butler acknowledged, Worilds doesn't always play as fast as the coaches would like. The lockout didn't help him — or any other second-year player Tomlin expects to make a big jump — as it cost Worilds offseason practices and valuable chalkboard sessions with Butler.

Still, Worilds said, he is much more comfortable in the Steelers' defense than he was this time last year.

"Night and day," Worilds said. "I'm not looking around. I can make some of the calls myself. I know where to go."

Butler wants to see Worilds, who comes across as quiet, get there with more urgency, to play with more vigor.

"I've got to pull that out of him," Butler said. "Sometimes it is something you're born with; sometimes it is your circumstances. James Harrison was on the street a couple of times. It made him hungry. A lot of different things motivate guys."
Butler said he is not singling out Worilds as he tries to tap into the potential that prompted the Steelers to make Worilds their second pick in the 2010 draft, after Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.

"Nobody has a free ride this year, including me," Butler said. "I've got a room full of (high-priced players). We better produce in that room. That's the nature of this business, and I embrace that, and I've been trying to get him to embrace that."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20looking%20to%20tap%20potential%20of%20W orilds%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751036.html#ixzz1UikRK2SU)

coldrolled
08-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Worilds, who led the country in quarterback pressures (38) his final season at Virginia Tech, agrees.

"I just need to finish on a consistent basis, no matter what drill it is," said Worilds, who had two sacks last season in limited action.

2 sacks.. i forget... He was in 4 plays?

--- Added 8/11/2011 at 09:02 AM ---

Worilds is not having a good camp at all so far. He was constantly getting owned by nearly every blocker in front of him during drills again yesterday. He'll get significant playing time in the preseason regardless because he is the primary backup, so it would be beneficial to him to show up and make some noise starting this Friday night.

quote from tomlin

Just as it’s true that some players will elevate themselves when the pads go on and the hitting begins, some guys react differently when it switches from a practice environment to game situations.

“Intelligence in the classroom is one thing, intelligence on the practice field is another thing, intelligence inside stadiums is another thing,” said Tomlin. “I’ll reserve judgment along those lines until I get further information.”

Blazedby92
08-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Key word PRESSURES not sacks, they aren't playing horseshoes

That's why I said when I seen him on youtube after we drafted him all the highlights if that's what you would call them was him getting there but never getting the QB

Real Deal Steel
08-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm not ready to label him a bust yet, not by any means. Sometimes it takes players longer to be comfortable with their role on the team and the attitude needed to achieve success in their role. Also sometimes being impatient to make more of an impact can lead to a lackadaisical approach to what's currently asked of them. Perhaps a good hard camp will give him the motivation he needs, and not just take for granted that he's the next big thing.

Settle down fellas. It's way to early to label this kid a bust.

Blazedby92
08-12-2011, 12:10 AM
I never once said bust just said he never got the sack in college.
Hell that's teachable

coldrolled
08-12-2011, 06:46 AM
I never once said bust just said he never got the sack in college.
Hell that's teachable

I think it says.

who led the country in quarterback pressures (38)

i would imagine he has a good number of sacks also...
update: college stats:
Virginia Tech career: 25 starts, 132 tackles, 15 sacks, 34 tackles for loss

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2011, 06:12 PM
If Worilds wants to stay out of, or get out of Keith Butler's doghouse, he better start showing up tonight. He'll be playing a good part of the game vs the Redskins and I'm sure Lebeau and Butler will be watching him closely.

DanRooney
08-13-2011, 01:03 AM
If Worilds wants to stay out of, or get out of Keith Butler's doghouse, he better start showing up tonight. He'll be playing a good part of the game vs the Redskins and I'm sure Lebeau and Butler will be watching him closely.

Was he even playing? Everyone was so bad on defense, I couldn't tell who was who.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-13-2011, 02:08 AM
Was he even playing? Everyone was so bad on defense, I couldn't tell who was who.

Yeah, he was there. Harrison didn't play, I think Worilds got the start over him. He didn't do much though, according to NFL.com's stats he didn't have any stat (tackle, assisted tackle, or sack).

Looks like those two OLBs from the '10 draft might take a little longer to develop. Gibson also didn't have any stat today with the 49ers (don't know if he even played). The fact that Worilds had two regular season sacks and more pressures gives me a bit of peace of mind, but I'd like to see him get 3 or 4 sacks in the remaining games.

Our secondary got toasted, but then again, this is a vanilla defense and our regular season defense looks nothing like this.

Most of the guys playing tonight won't even finish on the regular team.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Worilds started for Harrison in the Washington game. Tomlin said he was giving guys like Troy and James a chance to rest more before hitting the field. Worilds did absolutely nothing in the game, he was a complete non factor. He was swallowed up by blockers, manhandled at the line, and got not penetration into the backfield.

Big T
08-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Worilds got thrown around all game.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2011, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't want to be Jason Worilds in camp this week, I'm better Keith Butler and Dick Lebeau ride him like a mule. There is only so far they can take him though, they give him the tools and teaching he needs, it's up to him to run with it and take responsibility for his performance on the field and his apparent lack of sense of urgency.

Rampage
08-14-2011, 03:50 PM
He blew hard out there, I was pretty surprised.

TheMadCupcake
08-16-2011, 02:40 PM
The 49ers just released Thad Gibson.

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/2011/8/15/2365181/san-francisco-49ers-waive-linebacker-thaddeus-gibson

connecticutsteel
08-16-2011, 03:07 PM

I remember when some on this board labeled Timmons a 'bust'. I wonder how that turned out? :greengrin: There seems to be a trend going on this board where if you don't become an 'all-pro' in your rookie season, you're a 'bust'......lolMy thoughts exacty

--- Added 8/16/2011 at 02:07 PM ---

The 49ers just released Thad Gibson.

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/2011/8/15/2365181/san-francisco-49ers-waive-linebacker-thaddeus-gibson

yeah let's get him back

K Train
08-16-2011, 03:20 PM
theres just a huge difference between timmons (supremely talented weakside backer making a transition to 34 OLB and MLB at the same time with a groin injury as a rookie) and worilds (who sucks)

coldrolled
08-16-2011, 07:25 PM
thaddeus gibson waived by the 49ers.

harpo
08-16-2011, 08:19 PM
thaddeus gibson waived by the 49ers.

So is it fair to say that Gibson sucks? :thinking:

Just askin..... :greengrin:

TheMadCupcake
08-17-2011, 11:57 AM
In Gerry Dulac's camp observations, he called Jason Worilds the Steelers most improved player.

K Train
08-17-2011, 11:58 AM
i remember hearing the same thing about bruce davis

TheMadCupcake
08-17-2011, 07:09 PM
I remember hearing something about them liking Thad Gibson in San Fran and how the Steelers would be better with a guy like him on roster.

But, Thad has now been dumped twice and Worilds is still on roster.

Can't believe everything you hear.

tburg68
08-17-2011, 11:49 PM
No matter what happens with Worilds career, the Steelers will regret cutting T. Gibson. He will catch on somwhere and be a difference maker in a couple years.

coldrolled
08-18-2011, 08:00 AM
In Gerry Dulac's camp observations, he called Jason Worilds the Steelers most improved player.

now let him play...

just let the guy play in some games and see how he improves. im sick of hearing about all our players with less then 12 nfl plays under their belt other than of course counting ST plays sucking or lacking experience......

it is really getting old...

K Train
08-18-2011, 09:21 AM
I remember hearing something about them liking Thad Gibson in San Fran and how the Steelers would be better with a guy like him on roster.

But, Thad has now been dumped twice and Worilds is still on roster.

Can't believe everything you hear.

not every player the steelers bring in can just jump in a play LB anywhere like they do here. gibson is such an excellent developmental prospect, hes the perfect conversion guy for us and could play in the middle.

he was claimed by the steelers but the skins got him, he was a victim of a numbers game last year and worilds was the #2 draft pick....not that he was better.

i think you give gibson a few years he could really be a force, james harrison was a nobody that sat in our scheme for a few years behind some pro bowlers and that turned out ok...i dont want gibson to play now, but id love to keep him around.

coldrolled
08-18-2011, 09:29 AM
skins will let him go to... maybe he makes there PS.

K Train
08-18-2011, 09:38 AM
their interest in him shows that im not crazy or just blinded by man love though lol

Zachintosh66
08-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Worilds another 2 round dud?

Someone needs to tell Kevin Colbert to draft Studs in round 2, not Duds... :lol:

TheMadCupcake
08-19-2011, 10:44 PM
not every player the steelers bring in can just jump in a play LB anywhere like they do here. gibson is such an excellent developmental prospect, hes the perfect conversion guy for us and could play in the middle.

he was claimed by the steelers but the skins got him, he was a victim of a numbers game last year and worilds was the #2 draft pick....not that he was better.

i think you give gibson a few years he could really be a force, james harrison was a nobody that sat in our scheme for a few years behind some pro bowlers and that turned out ok...i dont want gibson to play now, but id love to keep him around.

For every James Harrison, there are 10 Alonzo Jacksons, Bruce Davis, and the like.

And, Gibson was such an excellent developmental prospect that they passed on him to draft Worilds and then passed on him again in the 3rd. They then dumped him mid-season to keep from placing Aaron Smith on IR. He was then claimed by the 49ers and dumped in camp PRIOR to the first cuts. Worilds has been here and there has not been any talk of him being released.

If pointing towards the Steelers putting in a claim for Gibson is evidence that he is worth getting, why isn't actually keeping Worilds evidence he is further up on the food chain. They kept Stevenson Sylvester over Worilds as well. And Antonio Brown. And Jonathan Dwyer. And Arnaz Battle.

To think so highly of Gibson, they certainly kept some unproven lower draft picks and mediocre veterans ahead of him.

He has been dumped twice now and once was by a team desperate for 3-4 OLBs.

Katmandu
08-19-2011, 11:01 PM
and worilds just sucks...everything ive seen him do at Va Tech, all the drills pre draft, and everything ive seen/heard about him since the day he was drafted just sucksI remember reading what Woodley said about Worilds...something to the effect like..."That dude can HIT !"

I'll take Woodley's word for him.

Hopefully, Worilds can do more than hit!

harpo
08-20-2011, 06:56 AM
For every James Harrison, there are 10 Alonzo Jacksons, Bruce Davis, and the like.

And, Gibson was such an excellent developmental prospect that they passed on him to draft Worilds and then passed on him again in the 3rd. They then dumped him mid-season to keep from placing Aaron Smith on IR. He was then claimed by the 49ers and dumped in camp PRIOR to the first cuts. Worilds has been here and there has not been any talk of him being released.

If pointing towards the Steelers putting in a claim for Gibson is evidence that he is worth getting, why isn't actually keeping Worilds evidence he is further up on the food chain. They kept Stevenson Sylvester over Worilds as well. And Antonio Brown. And Jonathan Dwyer. And Arnaz Battle.

To think so highly of Gibson, they certainly kept some unproven lower draft picks and mediocre veterans ahead of him.

He has been dumped twice now and once was by a team desperate for 3-4 OLBs.

Excellent points.....:yellowthumb: