PDA

View Full Version : Should Sanders and Brown get more playing time over Ward?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2011, 11:38 AM
I know, the very thought of seeing Hines Ward not on the field every play sends shivers down your spine right? The epic Steelers WR of all time can still get it done, proving that as recently as last season in the playoffs. However he's no spring chicken these days.

Ward is in the twilight of his career, with only a couple years left most likely. He has said recently that he hasn't put a timetable on his retirement and would like to keep playing as long as he can and try to get one more ring before he hangs it up. So perhaps Arians should consider using the 2 young guys, Sanders and Brown, in more rotations opposite Mike Wallace?

We did see this alittle bit last year, but now is a good time to take that to the next level. It would help keep Ward healthier, potentially, for the entire season and perhaps prolong his career another year. It gives the young guys valuable on field experience against the defenses' starting cornerbacks.

One thing about the Steelers offense is that they love to pass the ball and they have multiple formations and personnnel options for any given play. So why not take this upcoming year and start inserting the younger guys into a more prominent role. Plays where they can go against the best the defense has to offer, and be Ben's first or second read instead of maybe the 3rd or 4th?

Ward still gets field time, Sanders and Brown take giant steps towards their future, a win-win all around...possibly. I would hope this is already the case with Bruce Arians but you never know...

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Yes the young WR's should play more over Ward but Ward will start.......Most of this depends on the health of Sanders while he is still battling his foot injury......I love Ward and he has been such a warrior for this team over the years....But you know I'm not a sentimental type and I'm just interested in this team winning football games.....The offense needs the speed of these young WR's to attack defenses........Ward still has a role on the team but it should be more of a limited one......

K Train
08-08-2011, 11:49 AM
absolutely yes and anyone that says no is wrong, new era and these guys are too good

SteelCurtain68
08-08-2011, 11:53 AM
I absolutely agree, they should see more time. Ward will continue to pass along alot to these young receivers.

Raleigh Steel
08-08-2011, 11:56 AM
whoever can do the best job at getting the team a victory should see more playing time...it's that simple. eventually the great players get pushed out, hines isn't the first player to have this happen too and he won't be the last.

but hines will get his opps and he'll come through, but only in a limited role. he'll be more valuable as a mentor this season.

Steel Trap86
08-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Yes they should and as the season goes, it will happen.

harpo
08-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Yes. Antonio Brown should be starting at WR alongside Wallace.

LatrobePA
08-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Sure if I was Tomlin I wouldn't "dance" around the obvious, the young guys will push ole twinkle toes....

cmerrifield
08-08-2011, 01:24 PM
I think this is Farrior and Ward's year to start taking lesser roles. I love Hines, but its time

LarryNJ
08-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Absolutely!

Ben should be very comfortable with them now and have faith that they can get it done.

Blazedby92
08-08-2011, 02:27 PM
No doubt about it unless they show they can't get it done

steelchamp204
08-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Yes most def. They need the ball time because when wad is gone and they dont have the necc time played, then we put ourselves behind the8-ball. Let the get comfortbale in games this season so that when ward does retire "Prob after this season" then they will be ready to step up and play without a problem.

Rampage
08-08-2011, 02:55 PM
They definitely should. Ward's still a good target to have available, but the young guys need more reps to eventually replace him completely in the near future.

lekraus
08-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Ward is like a coach on the field so i say he needs to be there and he needs to start. i unless there is a better possession receiver among the rest of the group he has to be that guy. i had hoped that Sweed would step up to become that guy and he may still do it but till there is a clear cut possession receiver Ward has to be on the field. he is Ben's security blanket along with Miller. so if we are going back to the dance this year Ward is a must.

Danger DANJ
08-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I love Hines Ward, but it's time. He's too slow and hobbled by knee and hamstring injuries every game. He usually only gets open when Ben starts scrambling and he has the experience to know where the holes might be. But, if we had somebody faster in his place, Ben might not have to scramble so much. Maybe, just maybe, Ben would be able to drop back and fire right away.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Ward was talking to the media yesterday in Latrobe, talking about their WR corps he said flat out that we have a lot of young talent but no experience. That tells you there that he is still needed. However it should also tell you that the young guys need to step up and take advantage of the opportunities they are given but injuries can happen at anytime to anyone so they have to be ready.

K Train
08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Ward was talking to the media yesterday in Latrobe, talking about their WR corps he said flat out that we have a lot of young talent but no experience. That tells you there that he is still needed. However it should also tell you that the young guys need to step up and take advantage of the opportunities they are given but injuries can happen at anytime to anyone so they have to be ready.

thats more ward telling US hes still needed. grasping at nothing imo haha

steelersgal86
08-09-2011, 01:33 PM
I think hines should start...and if he doesnt prove himself well then let the others step up...but I think he will be just fine :greengrin:

Speeed
08-09-2011, 07:45 PM
I all for preserving Ward for when we need him most: The Playoffs. He is key when we absolutely need to get it done. Keep him healthy until then, and with this experience in mind, use him for key situations in the playoffs.

steelersbabex25
08-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Yes, only because Hines is old and I don't want him to be overworked and injured when we actually need him.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Antonio Brown is having a great camp so far. If he keeps this up he could be in for a breakout year even more than we thought. He's catching everything thrown to him, he's in great shape, he's taking advantage of the chances he gets.

With Sanders being limited recently it's given Brown a chance to shine. We already know he's got a knack for circus catches and he's a decent returner but they'll need him in a bigger role moving forward.

K Train
08-10-2011, 09:58 AM
ive always been on team AB over team sanders...like them both but brown has some extra flare to him

Blazedby92
08-10-2011, 10:20 AM
"Chest up, Eyes up"
Antonio Brown