PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith back in action, having a good camp

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Good article in the Trib (http://m.triblive.com/triblive/pm_18303/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=5e44nISs) about Aaron Smith's return for the final year of his 5 yr. contract.

Smith is back after suffering a third season-ending injury in the past four years. After missing the final 13 games in 2010 — he partially tore his left triceps in a game at Miami — Smith will be among the more scrutinized Steelers this preseason.
That is due to the confluence of age (35), recent injury history and Smith's standing as perhaps the standard for 3-4 defensive ends — when he is healthy.

″Ol' Aaron's hanging in there,″ Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said with a chuckle. ″He's a passionate, veteran guy that loves to play, loves to practice.″ Smith has been getting most of the repetitions with the first-team defense, and he appears to be close to full strength, even though the NFL lockout prevented him from rehabilitating his left arm at Steelers headquarters this offseason.

″I've felt good,″ said Smith, who also has torn his rotator cuff and biceps since 2007. ″There's a little apprehension, I think, every time I've had injuries to come back the first day. But once you go through it, you get a little more confident each time you do something.″

″He's looking like he hasn't lost a step,″ defensive end Ziggy Hood said. ″Once we get in the preseason, I think he's going to be back to where he was.″
If that is the case, it likely means less playing time for Hood.
Hood, the Steelers' 2009 first-round pick, came into his own last season after Smith went down. Hood started the final 10 regular-season games and finished with 20 tackles and three sacks.

Hood said he and Smith are ″pushing each other″ in camp. But in a measure of respect, Hood said he has no problem accepting a lesser role if Smith is healthy.
″Splitting time or him starting would not upset me at all because we're trying to make this team better,″ Hood said.

It's great to see Ziggy taking such a good attitude about this year. He knows his time is coming, he knows what he can do . The optimal thing is for both of them to split time this year. It gives Hood more reps and allows Smith to have a better chance of staying healthy for the entire season.

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-08-2011, 03:21 AM
Good to hear.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2011, 10:13 AM
You have to think that Tomlin and Lebeau are happy with the defensive line they have right now. 3 veterans backed up back 3 capable reserves. If everyone stays healthy, and yeah I know that's a stretch, this group can be even better than last year.

MDSteel15
08-08-2011, 10:19 AM
:banana:If this defense stays healthy they we rain hell down upon the NFL!!!

harpo
08-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Three season-ending injuries in the past four years? If they don't cut him, make that 4 season-ending injuries in the past five years.

Lunchbucket
08-08-2011, 01:41 PM
You have to think that Tomlin and Lebeau are happy with the defensive line they have right now. 3 veterans backed up back 3 capable reserves. If everyone stays healthy, and yeah I know that's a stretch, this group can be even better than last year.

Stay healthy Aaron:crossfingers: