PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have interest in Jerricho Cotchery

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2011, 06:42 PM
InsidePittsburghSports (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/nfl-cotchery-among-veteran-wide-receivers-steelers-looking-into/41259/) is reporting that Cotchery is planning on visiting the Steelers tomorrow. If he passes a physical it's rumored that they could offer him a contract. This tells us that either they have no faith in Sweed, they are kicking around the idea of another veteran at WR in general, or maybe they want to get him before the Ravens do. (They lost Derrick Mason to the Jets).

LatrobePA
08-06-2011, 06:47 PM
I think he's solid and yes the rats are thin keep them out of the loop......

Big T
08-06-2011, 07:36 PM
I have no problem with the team signing him, as long as they cut Arnaz Battle.

connecticutsteel
08-06-2011, 07:44 PM
This says they have little faith in Sweed or that Ward will be suspended . I think they will cut Battle we have stabilized the special teams and would create a little cap space

Big T
08-06-2011, 08:00 PM
This says they have little faith in Sweed or that Ward will be suspended . I think they will cut Battle we have stabilized the special teams and would create a little cap space

Hines won't be suspended. This is likely insurance. Hines is on the PUP list and Emmanuel Sanders is gonna be out for a bit, and could give him issues during the season.

Rampage
08-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't mind the signing.

Zachintosh66
08-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Cut Sweed and Arnez

steeldoc
08-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Can Sweed even catch a football? Just wondering. Sign the guy asap, the Ravens are just dying.:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

Root4Stlrs
08-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Can Sweed even catch a football? Just wondering. Sign the guy asap, the Ravens are just dying.:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

Let's hope so although last year they were being anointed as the second coming of the AFC North and look what happened. I think they figured out they needed more than "weapons" for Flacco. I hear some talking heads picking the Steelers to win the division - it makes me nervous.

connecticutsteel
08-07-2011, 01:03 AM
I can't help but think this has too do with Sanders more than Sweed . He is hurt but there are a lot of guys hurt . I predict Sweed make the roster

uclkyle
08-07-2011, 03:07 AM
I could be wrong, but I wouldn't take the "Battle will get cut" argument to the bank. He's one of the best special teamers on the roster. When you only dress 45 guys, that is SOOO important. At this point, I think Sweed goes and Battle stays.

Scorp
08-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Steelers need to stop showing interest and go get someone who is going to help them where help is needed. Seriously.

Big T
08-07-2011, 02:15 PM
I could be wrong, but I wouldn't take the "Battle will get cut" argument to the bank. He's one of the best special teamers on the roster. When you only dress 45 guys, that is SOOO important. At this point, I think Sweed goes and Battle stays.

His special teams play is so overrated. He had 7 whole tackles last year. Sweed is a decent special teams player and actually has the potential to be a weapon on offense. Battle is practically useless in my opinion.

SteelDad
08-07-2011, 05:39 PM
-As for Cotchery, I'm all for it.
-I'm not going to say Hines will be suspended but my gut tells me he will miss the Ravens game. With Harrison officially off the hook for that game, I can see Goodell nailing Hines.
-Sweed has had some moments catching the ball in TC, but I think his time is running out.

Thisoneguy555
08-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Steelers have 4 solid receivers. Ward will retire soon, so I guess you can say they only have 3 future receivers. I'd rather the Steelers go with Cotchery than waste time with Sweed. But who knows, Terrell Owens started out dropping a lot of balls, and now he's a future hall of famer.

jpele
08-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Steelers release # 61 Ty Boyle DE from North Dakota...possibly to make room for Cotchery. Only my guess

LatrobePA
08-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Hmmmm bring him in..

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2011, 01:25 AM
A week after wooing Plaxico Burress, the Steelers met with another free-agent wide receiver Sunday.

Jerricho Cotchery, an eighth-year NFL veteran, visited the Steelers at St. Vincent on what was an off day for the players.

Cotchery had been with the New York Jets since 2004, but the 6-foot, 207-pounder became expendable after the Jets signed Burress.

The Jets released Cotchery last Thursday at his request. Cotchery, 29, underwent back surgery during the offseason after catching 41 passes for 433 yards and two touchdowns in 2010.

The Steelers and Ravens are among a handful of teams interested in Cotchery.
The Steelers have been dealing with injury issues at wide receiver since the start of camp.

Hines Ward has yet to practice while he recovers from surgery on his left thumb.
Emmanuel Sanders is expected to miss at least the next two weeks with a left foot injury. Sanders had surgery in April to correct a minor stress fracture, and he received a bone marrow injection last week after the foot proved slow to heal.
Cotchery's best season came in 2007, when he caught 82 passes for 1,130 yards and two touchdowns.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Released%20Jets%20receiver%20Jerricho%20Cotchery%2 0plays%20visit%20to%20Steelers%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_750491.html#ixzz1UPMqqXxG)

Blazedby92
08-08-2011, 06:36 AM

I can't help but think this has too do with Sanders more than Sweed . He is hurt but there are a lot of guys hurt . I predict Sweed make the roster

Well, which is it?
Manny seems to be having problems is all it is, most likely.

I'm sure Sweed being a bust has something to do with it too maybe

Raleigh Steel
08-08-2011, 07:16 AM
i'd love to see cotchery come in! solid receiver! sweed's time is up. not only does he not catch but he's like an egg shell now. any news is about him getting hurt. cut your losses with sweed and bring in cotchery!

LatrobePA
08-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Sign his *** all ready!

Troyisabeast_43
08-08-2011, 09:09 AM
I just heard on DVE that the Steelers are very close to signing Cotchery and it could happen today so we shall see...On a side note it's great to be back on the board here fellas it's been a long long off-season coming off the Super Bowl loss and Im ready to get this thing going again and give my always fun playoff analysis every week and schedule breakdowns that everybody loves lol...

coldrolled
08-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Steelers release # 61 Ty Boyle DE from North Dakota...possibly to make room for Cotchery. Only my guess

The Steelers claimed defensive end Jarrett Crittenton off waivers from Seattle and released defensive end Ty Boyle according to a release by Steelers Digest this morning. Crittenton, a 6-foot-6 defensive lineman, had 30 tackles, including 10 1/2 for losses and four sacks at Middle Tennessee State. He was originally signed by the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent and missed some time in camp due to an unspecified injury. Boyle was released after a short stay in camp after being signed as an undrafted free agent out of North Dakota.

K Train
08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
cotchery would bring the same production as ward...seems like a step backwards imo

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2011, 12:22 PM
cotchery would bring the same production as ward...seems like a step backwards imo

This......:yellowthumb: I say let the young WR's play and continue to grow.......But I guess there is still some concern about Sanders and his foot........I really want Sweed to put it together and still hoping he does.....

harpo
08-08-2011, 01:07 PM

Not if they replace Arnaz Battle with him....

K Train
08-08-2011, 01:10 PM
didnt you hear? arnaz battle is supposedly AMAZING on special teams lol

harpo
08-08-2011, 01:13 PM
didnt you hear? arnaz battle is supposedly AMAZING on special teams lol

My bad. How could I forget that? :lol:

coldrolled
08-08-2011, 01:21 PM
this battle talk is strange, i keep reading and hearing he catches evertything thrown to him.. and he gets open fast. and he is good on ST. there are other WR's to cut before Battle. not sure about this hate battle talk...

connecticutsteel
08-08-2011, 02:01 PM
They should sign him just to keep him away from the Ravens . Asof 12:31 Cocherery left LaTrobe without a contract we didnt get him i don't think

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-08-2011, 02:18 PM
bye bye

K Train
08-08-2011, 03:15 PM
this battle talk is strange, i keep reading and hearing he catches evertything thrown to him.. and he gets open fast. and he is good on ST. there are other WR's to cut before Battle. not sure about this hate battle talk...

him being a monster on ST is a myth, and catching everything in training camp is only good during the duration of training camp....the dude has been around for years, i never had any doubt that he could catch a football, the downside to him is that......he sucks

Blazedby92
08-08-2011, 03:32 PM
him being a monster on ST is a myth, and catching everything in training camp is only good during the duration of training camp....the dude has been around for years, i never had any doubt that he could catch a football, the downside to him is that......he sucks

What he said....

harpo
08-08-2011, 03:56 PM
I think Tyler Grisham would be an upgrade over Battle.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Don't count out Grisham, he's having a good camp and might surprise some people and make the roster as the 6th WR.

harpo
08-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Don't count out Grisham, he's having a good camp and might surprise some people and make the roster as the 6th WR.

I hope he does make it.

Stelcrtn43
08-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Anybody heard how Cortez Allen is doing in camp? Like to see a fellow Bulldog make the team!

steeldoc
08-08-2011, 09:23 PM
How can Ward be suspended? There was NO labor agreement when he had his incident. Sweed probably makes the team.

LatrobePA
08-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Ward will not be suspended take it easy, no way..

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Word from Jason LaCanfora is that Cotchery is unlikely to sign with the Steelers; not money related so much as playing time related. Of course know things can change but I'd bet the Ravens can guarantee him more playing time than the Steelers.

LatrobePA
08-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Makes sense and one can't blame him..

K Train
08-08-2011, 11:36 PM
he would probably sit through one practice with wallace and brown and just realize how in over his head he was

Steel Trap86
08-08-2011, 11:56 PM
honestly i'm happy with what we have. plax or cotchery would have just been a bonus.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
I can't blame him for wanting significant playing time. He's only interested in teams that can possibly contend for a super bowl. If money isn't the main factor then playing time is and unless there is an injury he wouldn't be on the field for every single play. We do use multiple personnel in the passing game but the Ratbirds have a need at WR more than we do.

steelersgal86
08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
honestly i'm happy with what we have. plax or cotchery would have just been a bonus.

I agree....:yellowthumb:

connecticutsteel
08-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Word from Jason LaCanfora is that Cotchery is unlikely to sign with the Steelers; not money related so much as playing time related. Of course know things can change but I'd bet the Ravens can guarantee him more playing time than the Steelers. He's a star on the Ravens this year

connecticutsteel
08-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Twitter remarks by Ed Bouchette state that cotchery left the Ravens unsigned

BlitzburghRockCity
08-11-2011, 01:25 AM
The Ravens passed on Cotchery. Still a chance that he comes to Pittsburgh.

TampaSteelGirl
08-11-2011, 11:06 AM
he would probably sit through one practice with wallace and brown and just realize how in over his head he was

:rofl:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Cotchery didn't sign with the Ravens and as of now has now plans for any other visits. Things could change as we move forward in the preseason when teams start to see injuries happen more. However, Pittsburgh might be his only bet to play in 2011.