PDA

View Full Version : Who's the bigger priority now, Lawrence Timmons or Troy Polamalu?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Now that Woodley is locked up and the Steelers linebacking corp is in good hands for the future, on the outside, it's time to start concentrating on the next big deals that need to get done. A big decision looms that the team will have to figure out, Timmons or Polamlu? Both players contracts are up as of the end of the 2011 season. Both guys will command big money, can the Steelers keep them both?

I would say yes they can keep both, but will they, is a better question. Timmons is a no brainer. His upside is huge, his potential is off the charts, what he's already shown in the last 2 years tells you he is the real deal. If the Steelers don't pay him, somebody else will. He is absolutely a must keep at all costs. The Rooney's always take of their own, and with linebackers being the heart and soul of the defense, you have to lock up Timmons for the long term.

As far as Polamalu goes, I would be very surprised if they get a new deal done for him this year yet. It's better to take a wait and see approach for the all pro Safety. If they sign him to a new 4 yr. deal for example ,and then he can't finish the season again, you're in trouble. You lose more money, one of your best players is on the sideline again and the future is even more in doubt. Let Troy play out this year, see how it goes, and if he stays healthy then you lock him up long term. He would probably be willing to give a hometown discount to finish his career in Pittsburgh, should it come down to that.

They'll have a franchise tag available since Woodley signed his new deal, so that will help the situation. So right now, #94 has to be the main priority. If they can get Timmon's done, it will make next year that much easier to deal with, if you call working with 10's of million's of dollars easy.

Rampage
08-06-2011, 03:46 PM
I would prefer seeing Timmons extended first. He seems to be getting better every year and has an excellent skill set. I love Polamalu, but with his health always being a concern, I think Timmons is the more important player to get extended at this time.

igor0190
08-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Yeah, kinda gotta go with the guy who can be on the field and stay healthy. Although Timmons hasn't exactly been the most durable either. You've got to figure that Farriors and/or Foote's days are numbered when they ink Timmons to another contract.

On the other hand, how bad would our secondary be if we didn't have Troy back there? They got to start thinking safety in the draft, not just to replace Troy, but Ryan Clark as well.

Big T
08-06-2011, 04:51 PM
I want them to extend Timmons before he completely blows up this year. I think they can extend him for reasonably cheap right now, but if they wait til after the season I'm afraid it'll cost a lot more.

igor0190
08-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I want them to extend Timmons before he completely blows up this year. I think they can extend him for reasonably cheap right now, but if they wait til after the season I'm afraid it'll cost a lot more.

:plus1:
He's clearly gotta be in the Steelers long term plans... they should definately try to get an extension done now.

Big T
08-06-2011, 05:50 PM
The only problem with getting his deal done now is that It'll cost a decent amount towards the cap this year. His salary is relatively low, unlike Polamalu's whose cap number probably wouldn't change much.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm glad they'll have the franchise tag available for next year and not have to worry about Woodley. If they can't get Timmon's done before the season starts, they can atleast tag him until they can work something out like they did with Wood.

I just can't see using the tag on Polamalu,as much as I like the guy if you let Timmons go, you're out of your mind!

The cap will create some issues this year like you said T, with getting any more big deals done. They may not have enough wiggle room anymore even if they could get a cap friendly deal done. The Steelers are one of the best at working the cap though so you never know.

K Train
08-06-2011, 07:25 PM
timmons in a landslide

andyg1984
08-06-2011, 07:40 PM
we need to pay wallace sooner than most realize

connecticutsteel
08-06-2011, 07:41 PM
It has to be Timmons if they ask Troy to wait he will

K Train
08-06-2011, 07:57 PM
we need to pay wallace sooner than most realize

hes a RFA next year

andyg1984
08-06-2011, 08:19 PM
the funds better be there .. we can't lose him long term .. someone would throw a ton of money at him ..

igor0190
08-06-2011, 09:08 PM
the funds better be there .. we can't lose him long term .. someone would throw a ton of money at him ..

Al Davis would for sure...

Just a tiny upgrade from Heyward-Bey :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Timmons for sure........Harrison, Woodley, Timmons..............really doesn't matter who the 4th LB is with those three....lol

igor0190
08-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Timmons for sure........Harrison, Woodley, Timmons..............really doesn't matter who the 4th LB is with those three....lol

Except that the 4th better have a low salary to compensate for 3 monster contracts.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Except that the 4th better have a low salary to compensate for 3 monster contracts.

Stevenson Sylvester......:yellowthumb:

Zachintosh66
08-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Timmons hands down

Root4Stlrs
08-07-2011, 12:50 AM
I want them both. I just want them to stay healthy.

uclkyle
08-07-2011, 03:05 AM
Not even close.....Timmons! Troy is great, for the 6 days a year that he is healthy. You gotta go with the guy who is on the field more.

DanRooney
08-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Timmons by a hair. We all saw how our defense played without Troy but Timmons is on the verge of becoming the best ILB in the league at 25.

If it were down to me though, I wouldn't of signed Woodley to that huge contract. He was the 4th on my priority list behind Timmons, Troy, and Ike.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-07-2011, 03:23 PM
The more I think about this the more I realize the chances are not very good to get one or both of these guys signed before the season starts. Based on all the injuries so far, and the veterans just reporting late last week, there's a lot of assessment to do on the current roster. Perhaps they will decide they need to make a move to bring in another veteran, perhaps they'll want to swap out some players for others yet. They'll want to leave themselves some cap room should they need it for the next few weeks.

It's still possible, but we'll have to wait and see. Either way I just can't see giving Troy a long term deal until he's healthy for an entire year. Love the guy, his play style, his attitude, but giving another 40 million to a guy who only plays 1/2 the year, is it worth it? We'll see.

Thisoneguy555
08-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Timmons obviously, he already started picking up Troy's duties last year, LeBeau thinks he'll fit in the system as Troy's replacement. But Troy will come cheaper than Timmons. With how much Woodley is making, they'll have to pay Timmons top dollar also. Troy's salary has been pretty modest compared to other safteys. So I don't see Troy as top priority because it'll be easy to give him a contract extension, as Timmons will be a harder deal to make and cap room needs to be available.

SteelDad
08-07-2011, 05:34 PM
The easy answer here is LT, no doubt. The Wallace situation looming is significant as well... Bottom line with Troy is that yes he is a marvelous player and will forever be a fan favorite, but ya just can't throw too many dollars at a guy who can't stay healthy.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2011, 10:19 AM
The good thing about Wallace is that he'll be a RFA after this season. They can just tender him the highest amount and make sure they don't lose him until they can get a new deal signed. There is no doubt though he'll be getting a lot of attention if they even let him sniff the free agent market, he's another one though that will have to be brought back, no question.

K Train
08-08-2011, 11:11 AM
i think timmons is really on the verge of being a top 2-3 MLB...i remember all the "timmons is a bust" threads (you know who you are) but the man made some seriously difficult transitions. From the prototype WILL LB in a 43 to an OLB in a 34, to a MLB in a 34 and now hes a hammer in that spot. Thats a transition that many LBs would fail at, he has turned himself into a legit different player, he could have been a pro bowl weakside backer from day one but instead he had to change his game a complete 180 and hes not disappointing. Willis might have been a stud MLB from day one, but timmons will be in the same sentence this year. im excited

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I think he is a better fit inside then outside in a 3-4........I think his game is best suited on the inside so he doesn't have to take on those OT's if he were playing outside....Of course he has the speed to blow past OT's but I really like Timmons inside but its nice to know he can move outside if injury does happen to one of the OLB......

I never said he was a bust but I was against the drafting of Timmons at first.......But I warmed up to him quickly.....Really the problem was I didn't think he was great fit for the 3-4 just like Ziggy Hood.....But that is the genius of Tomlin he doesn't care about scheme so much and really just wants players that love to play football......

K Train
08-08-2011, 11:45 AM
yeah i hear ya...it was a lock they were taking timmons if carriker and revis were both off the board, but there was a lot of omg hes injury prone statements made his first 2 years.

i love timmons as an OLB in a 34, hes a hell of a pass rusher/blitzer but i like him focusing on dominating the middle of the field right now, hes amazing in that role.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2011, 12:02 PM
yeah i hear ya...it was a lock they were taking timmons if carriker and revis were both off the board, but there was a lot of omg hes injury prone statements made his first 2 years.

i love timmons as an OLB in a 34, hes a hell of a pass rusher/blitzer but i like him focusing on dominating the middle of the field right now, hes amazing in that role.

I never labeled in his bust....I wanted Revis so badly in that draft and really that was another reason I hated the Timmons pick.....I wanted the Steelers to trade up so bad for Revis....lol You and I are similar in that regard we're passionate about certain players we want so bad.....:yellowthumb:

Lawrence Timmons is becoming the player I hoped Kendrell Bell would become.....Talk about somebody who was injury prone......But when Bell started out like gang busters everybody thought he was the next great Steelers LB and was going to dominate at ILB for years......

K Train
08-08-2011, 12:10 PM
revis is one prospect that made me look stupid...i HATED him, not as much as carrkier though, damn you thought i was mad at evander being the pick that would have been NOTHING compared to adam carriker lol

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm a Pitt homer so I really wanted Revis badly....I wanted him for punt returns as well since he was great as a return man while at Pitt......I thought he was going to be damn good but he turned out ever better then I thought he was going to be......

harpo
08-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Timmons is the bigger priority.

Blazedby92
08-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Timmons of course not only is he young but also he took over a little of Troys duties last year and I don't think he has even met his ceiling yet.