PDA

View Full Version : Does every Steelers fan hate Bruce Arians?

mos07
08-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Am I the only Steelers fan that does not have a problem with Bruce Arians? I actually like the way he built this offense around Big Ben and his skill set.

I am going to go run for cover now after that statement.....Anyone have my back?

K Train
08-05-2011, 03:32 PM
no, hes the worst. they win in spite of him, not because of him

LatrobePA
08-05-2011, 03:35 PM
He's a worthless bastard!! His playcalling is horrid and lucky for him he has a QB, RB, TE, WR and a badass defense to bail his sorry *** out!!

mos07
08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Then the obvious question, why does Mike Tomlin kep him around? There has to be a reason.........

K Train
08-05-2011, 03:39 PM
tomlin is to grow a set

LatrobePA
08-05-2011, 03:41 PM
tomlin needs to grow a set

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhaahahaahhahaahaaahaha haha

I just pissed myself!!

mos07
08-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Train, why don't you tell us how you really feel? :lol::lol::lol:

K Train
08-05-2011, 03:45 PM
lol just answering the question. hes an ok coach but hes a ****** team builder...questionable roster moves, draft picks, coachng hirings. i didnt want him to come in and clean how and act like it was all his show but theres no way arians should have a job gameplanning...hes a good coach but a terrible coordinator and theres a big difference. tomlin did too much promoting from within and sticking with cowhers guys imo

ben loves him also, its that "pass first" mentality that draws ben to him though, not quality gameplanning. QBs always love OCs that let them chuck the ball

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I don't personally hate the guy but his play calling drives me as nuts as anyone else. The problem is not that his overall gameplan is bad, it's really not. He utilizes all of his weapons in the passing game and gets a lot of big plays down field.

The problem is when the game is on the line, or when the Steelers are in scoring position at a crucial time in the 2nd half, he'll blow the call. How many times did we say that horrible attempt at a reverse? or the epic draw play of doom? He overthinks the situation in critical moments for the offense and it backfires all too often.

TampaSteelGirl
08-05-2011, 03:51 PM
hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhaahahaahhahaahaaahaha haha

I just pissed myself!!

You would!!!! :hilarious: Depends are on the way! :yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
08-05-2011, 03:55 PM
You would!!!! :hilarious: Depends are on the way! :yellowthumb:

That would be sweet, I could get a lot more work done (or more worthless posts out here) w/out getting up to use the restroom...

SteelDad
08-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Draw play inside own 5 yard line.

Now I'm done.

Big T
08-05-2011, 04:27 PM
3rd and 3, let's pitch it to Mewelde Moore and have him tackled for a loss because he's so damn slow, taking us out of FG range. 3rd and 1, let's spread them out, 5 WRs no TE, and let Ben get sacked. 3rd and goal from the 3 yard line, let's run a draw with Mewelde Moore, 3 points is good enough.

He's f*cking awful. especially on 3rd down.

Thisoneguy555
08-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Every teams fans hate their offensive coordinator. If you go to any other forum, they are saying their coordinator is the worst. So either every fan just hates their offensive coordinator or most offensive coordinator in the NFL just equally sucks.

I don't think Bruce is that bad, some of the plays he call are so bad and out there that the other teams defense is confused. Like 5 receivers on first and 10 in the 2nd quarter. No defense is expecting that, even though it's ridiculous play call, it works on occasions.

But with every ridiculous play that happens to work, there are ridiculous plays that don't work. lol. But we're stuck with him.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2011, 04:46 PM
You're right, we are stuck with him. Tomlin is not going to let him go anytime soon and nobody else in the NFL wants him. To me it should be painfully evident that if you are a super bowl contending team every year that your coordinators would be a hot commodity; not the case though with Arians.

Other teams always want to talk the Steeler coaches but you never hear anyone inquire about talking to Arians.

It is what is though, he won't change his style and the Steelers won't replace him. It's not that he doesn't put in the film time, he watches dozens of hours of film every week on the opponent. He knows the other team, he just chooses to make the worst play call at the worst time of the game. Like I said, he tries to overthink the situation too much IMO.

PsychoWard
08-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Ktrain hit it on the head, Ben is in love with the guy so he isn't going anywhere! But to answer the question yes I hate him and his play calling especially on third down!

coldrolled
08-05-2011, 04:53 PM
I think he is a loser. So did the Browns.

Noone else wants him. So that is proof. We signed him for one year. so we must not really like him either.

Now im pissed we let the Ravens get Leach..... because arians doesnt need a Fullback.
I have this feeling leach will be a knife in our back once this year.

Bruce cant call plays for the life of him. Ben saves his dumb *** calls most of the time.

Oh, i don't like him either..

steelersbabex25
08-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Draw play inside own 5 yard line.

Now I'm done.

Damn, you beat me to it. Not surprised you did though. I was shocked that I even made it through the first page of the thread without seeing something about that. Draw play in your own endzone..the play that defines Bruce Arians.

Raleigh Steel
08-05-2011, 05:19 PM
i think arians did a decent job down the stretch of last season, but all in all he's a horrible OC.

the steelers have a ton of weapons and can only score 20 pts a game. they should be scoring closer to 30 on most games.

his offense is good between the 20's but horrible inside of them. and most successful plays are when the team (mainly ben) turns chicken **** into chicken salad.

i've likened his game plan to be like being in a relationship with a super hot girl who is an a-hole. there can be some excitement, but mostly just pain and anguish.

Thisoneguy555
08-05-2011, 05:29 PM
You're right, we are stuck with him. Tomlin is not going to let him go anytime soon and nobody else in the NFL wants him. To me it should be painfully evident that if you are a super bowl contending team every year that your coordinators would be a hot commodity; not the case though with Arians.

Other teams always want to talk the Steeler coaches but you never hear anyone inquire about talking to Arians.

It is what is though, he won't change his style and the Steelers won't replace him. It's not that he doesn't put in the film time, he watches dozens of hours of film every week on the opponent. He knows the other team, he just chooses to make the worst play call at the worst time of the game. Like I said, he tries to overthink the situation too much IMO.

Well if it isn't broke don't fix it, even if Tomlin wanted to get rid of him, in no way would the GM allow this. People think Head Coaches have way more control over a team then they realize. Cowher was a head coach here for 13 seasons, the Rooneys trusted him and gave him as much control as he wanted. Tomlin hasn't been here that long, he won a superbowl, but I'm sure he has no where near the control to what Cowher had. Most decisions we see are up to Kevin Colbert, the GM, as this is how it is with 90% of all football teams. Only coaches like Cowher, Parcells, Gibbs, Belichick and others get that much authority.

SteelDad
08-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Damn, you beat me to it. Not surprised you did though. I was shocked that I even made it through the first page of the thread without seeing something about that. Draw play in your own endzone..the play that defines Bruce Arians.

I know what you mean. Thought I'd see several posts regarding that.

Ktrain is correct, BR loves BA so it's all good there... Arians has his moments, but far too often he completely overthinks situations. He constantly tries to 'outguess' the DC across the field instead of going with what works. It's like watching a guy trying to diffuse a bomb. "Red? No, blue. Green? No red. Oh geez."

Raleigh Steel
08-05-2011, 07:07 PM
bruce's in game coaching is more like this:

http://youtu.be/eQNHBUqfLnM

connecticutsteel
08-05-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't BA but he has had his share of questionable calls

DBR96A
08-05-2011, 09:00 PM
The foundation of Bruce Arians' system is fine. The main problems I have are as follows:

1. The play-calling is either too predictable or too scripted.
2. A lack of in-game adjustments.
3. Some of the formations telegraph plays to the defense.
4. Not enough effort is made to exploit opponents' weaknesses.
5. Not enough effort is made to compensate for weaknesses on the offense.

Some of the ways in which these problems can be combated include, but are not limited to:

1. Calling the plays that work once the offense gets a feel for the defense.
2. Adjusting if the defense figures out how to stop certain plays.
3. Tweaking plays so they're less likely to tip off the defense.
4. Deliberately targeting weaknesses in the defense.
5. Accounting for weaknesses in the offense, and adding/tweaking plays to compensate.

LatrobePA
08-05-2011, 09:24 PM
BA is a DA!

coldrolled
08-06-2011, 06:27 AM
The foundation of Bruce Arians' system is fine. The main problems I have are as follows:

1. The play-calling is either too predictable or too scripted.
2. A lack of in-game adjustments.
3. Some of the formations telegraph plays to the defense.
4. Not enough effort is made to exploit opponents' weaknesses.
5. Not enough effort is made to compensate for weaknesses on the offense.

Some of the ways in which these problems can be combated include, but are not limited to:

1. Calling the plays that work once the offense gets a feel for the defense.
2. Adjusting if the defense figures out how to stop certain plays.
3. Tweaking plays so they're less likely to tip off the defense.
4. Deliberately targeting weaknesses in the defense.
5. Accounting for weaknesses in the offense, and adding/tweaking plays to compensate.

dont forget, attacking the backup Cb or S when they enter the game after an bad injury.

greg1964
08-06-2011, 07:56 AM
The problem with most Steelers fans and BA is that his approach is so different how most Steelers see themselves. I'm a child of the 60's we see ourselves as hard working, tough minded people that grid issues out to achieve our goals, and what our team to do the same.

H. Johnson, F. Harris, R.Brier, M Hoges, B. Foster, B. Morris, J. Bettis: ALL these player are people most Steelers fans can identify with.

But AB does not feed into our image of self, but he dose help WIN games. People will say that the Steelers win despite of him more than because of him. Well any team will play to its teams strengths. If the Steelers need to scores in a hurry, in most cases they do. If they need to run out the clock, in most cases they do.

Remember the Steelers have been to TWO SUPER BOWLS in three years with AB as the OC and in both the Steelers were in a position to win. With the ground and pound Steelers teams that we loved we won 1 super bowl in 26 year.

Does AB play calling drive me crazy at time, YES.....but the STANDARD is the STANDARD: and the STANDARD is WINNING. and AB is a part of that.

Clevelandsux
08-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Anyone who is a true steeler fan, hates bruce Arians. This guy couldn't coach little league. I remember when he was oc for the Browns. They hated him. So its just not us.

steelersbabex25
08-06-2011, 09:56 AM
But AB does not feed into our image of self, but he dose help WIN games. People will say that the Steelers win despite of him more than because of him. Well any team will play to its teams strengths. If the Steelers need to scores in a hurry, in most cases they do. If they need to run out the clock, in most cases they do.

There's a little hole in your logic, there. If they need to score in a hurry, Steelers obviously go to their hurry-up offense, in which case it's Ben calling the plays, not Arians. (/if we had a better offensive coordinator we probably wouldn't need to turn to the hurry-up offense as often as we do.)

steeldoc
08-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Sorry I don't see it. Arians is not the best, but the Steelers always seem to have a decent game plan, and are always in a position to win. You wanna see a ****** play caller, how about the Ravens Cam Cameron, who routinely has skinny Joe Flacco run naked bootlegs on 4th and short. The Raven's O is very very predictable and mediocre. They play not to lose on offense. The Steelers O makes few mental errors, and seem to all be on the same page. There are worse coordinators in the NFL

chisteeler
08-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I'll bet that he's also horrible at Chess!

tburg68
08-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Pressure situations define Players, Coaches, Coordinators, Head Coaches. Anyone can perform with nothing at stake.

BA SUCKS under pressure. That is all.

DBR96A
08-06-2011, 01:19 PM
dont forget, attacking the backup Cb or S when they enter the game after an bad injury.

That would be umbrellaed under "deliberately targeting weaknesses in the defense." :yesnod:

StlersGuy
08-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Bruce Arians is an idiot nuff said..

Rampage
08-06-2011, 02:02 PM
He just doesn't know how to game plan. Playing Madden 2011 on the easy setting the night before the game isn't sufficient.

PsychoWard
08-06-2011, 02:47 PM
He just doesn't know how to game plan. Playing Madden 2011 on the easy setting the night before the game isn't sufficient.

:rofl:Thanks a lot I just laughed out loud at work and everyone thinks I am nuts now!!!!

Real Deal Steel
08-07-2011, 12:18 AM
no, hes the worst. they win in spite of him, not because of him

Arians is a bum. He must have naked pictures of someone in management. That is the only way he has his job.

uclkyle
08-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Am I the only Steelers fan that does not have a problem with Bruce Arians? I actually like the way he built this offense around Big Ben and his skill set.

I am going to go run for cover now after that statement.....Anyone have my back?

No, you are not alone. I have no problem with BA. Bottom line is....you can't argue with success. I completely disagree that we win despite him. One or two seasons, you might be able to argue that......when the Steelers year after year, there is a reason and BA is a part of that success. I have no problem with him.

--- Added 8/7/2011 at 01:03 AM ---

Pressure situations define Players, Coaches, Coordinators, Head Coaches. Anyone can perform with nothing at stake.

BA SUCKS under pressure. That is all.

"BA SUCKS under pressure." Hmmmmm, I want to say that Ben and the offense have more fourth quarter and OT comebacks/wins than any other team in the NFL. So how exactly again does BA "suck" under pressure. Give BA at least SOME credit, he is after all the offensive coordinator.

steelersbabex25
08-07-2011, 12:03 PM
"BA SUCKS under pressure." Hmmmmm, I want to say that Ben and the offense have more fourth quarter and OT comebacks/wins than any other team in the NFL. So how exactly again does BA "suck" under pressure. Give BA at least SOME credit, he is after all the offensive coordinator.

I'll say it again. When we're losing to some god awful team in the fourth quarter, they strip BA of his rights to call anymore f*cking wide reciever screens (because they worked so well the first 234 times you called it this game), and let Ben call the plays. That's why we have so many good comebacks. BECAUSE OUR QB IS BETTER AT CALLING PLAYS THAN OUR OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

Scorp
08-07-2011, 12:05 PM
I'll bet that he's also horrible at Chess!

He plays chess like he plays checkers.

Zachintosh66
08-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Does every Steelers fan hate Bruce Arians?

this one does!

roosterray
08-07-2011, 01:17 PM
lol just answering the question. hes an ok coach but hes a ****** team builder..l

Agreed - He doesn't know how to game plan a line to meet the plays. That's Why Kluger had such a huge impact on the Oline. He fixed the blocking schemes to protect Ben and work in the running game. BA would be worse then Andy Reid for calling run plays if it wasn't for the organization hanging onto the past.

RE Tomlin - He lets coordinators do their job. That's a good head coach that doesn't micro manage the details. He's one hell of a motivator. He has a vision and its his coordinators job to make it happen.

I think we'll get more leads this year and get more run yards in late to seal the game. We'll be similar this year when Ben had 4300yds and 26 tds 2 yrs ago. We'll put up points to help the defense. Then take the air out of the ball. If Ben Goes for 4000yds and mendy get 1200yds, we'll be in great shape.

tburg68
08-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Do you watch Steeler games? My 11 yr old son could call better plays in the red zone than Ariens calls. He doesn't understand what critical points in the game are.

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I don't personally hate the guy but his play calling drives me as nuts as anyone else. The problem is not that his overall gameplan is bad, it's really not. He utilizes all of his weapons in the passing game and gets a lot of big plays down field.

The problem is when the game is on the line, or when the Steelers are in scoring position at a crucial time in the 2nd half, he'll blow the call. How many times did we say that horrible attempt at a reverse? or the epic draw play of doom? He overthinks the situation in critical moments for the offense and it backfires all too often.

Right here on Steeler Addicts he was hammered bad all last year. Basically one step forward and two back. It was inspite of him that the O did what it did. Guess you could call it consistentcy or ability to read the immediate threat.

Thisoneguy555
08-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Do you watch Steeler games? My 11 yr old son could call better plays in the red zone than Ariens calls. He doesn't understand what critical points in the game are.

True but Arians seems to have earned trust in the players, mostly Ben. Ben rarely changes Arians plays after they are called in, he trusts him like a father almost. You could blame Ben for a lot of bad offensive plays, you'd think he'd at least see how stupid a call is and change it.

steelersbabex25
08-07-2011, 10:18 PM
True but Arians seems to have earned trust in the players, mostly Ben. Ben rarely changes Arians plays after they are called in, he trusts him like a father almost. You could blame Ben for a lot of bad offensive plays, you'd think he'd at least see how stupid a call is and change it.

That says it all. Ben shouldn't have to change bad offensive plays, because there shouldn't be any in the first place. It shouldn't be up to the QB to call the plays, that's supposed to be the OC's job.

Thisoneguy555
08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
That says it all. Ben shouldn't have to change bad offensive plays, because there shouldn't be any in the first place. It shouldn't be up to the QB to call the plays, that's supposed to be the OC's job.

Ben shouldn't defend the OC if he's making bad plays lol, Ben has defended him in the past a lot, plus like I said in an earlier post, we've been to 2 super bowls with him as OC. You don't fire a Superbowl winning coach, even if it goes against best judgement.

The only way they will get rid of him is if the Steelers have a terrible season offensively. The Rooney's and Kevin Colbert are too kind to their coaches. The Rooney's stayed with Noll through his bad years, and after 3 losing seasons, stayed with Cowher, which is unheard of in the modern NFL. Other owners/GM's will fire coaches for losing in the playoffs too often. (Tony Dungy in Tampa). So Arians being the OC on a team that's made the playoffs 3 of the 4 years he's coached and the superbowl twice, it's just something that wont happen.

steelersbabex25
08-07-2011, 11:14 PM
The Steelers won't have a bad offensive year because of the insane talent that they have right now. Everyone who's trying to defend BA is saying that we've had so much success with him in the past. Well, the 2 Superbowls we won were because of legendary defenses, not our mediocre offenses. If we have a good year on the offensive side of the ball, it won't be because of genius play calls by Bruce Arians, I can tell you that much.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-08-2011, 10:57 AM
At times I like Bruce and at other times he drives me nuts.......I think his play-calling is questionable at times but I have thought that about every Steelers OC from Ron Erhardt, Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, Ken Whisenhunt.........lol

I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for him but the OL was left in terrible shape when he took over as OC......The OL really didn't fit into what really he wants to do on offense and really was built for more of Cowher's power running game.....The Steelers now are drafting more athletic type of OL who can offer more in pass protection.....Pouncey and Gilbert fit more into BA's offensive philosophy......

Another huge key will be for the Steelers to keep these young WR's together so they can grow with Ben......The key to the Colts success so long besides having Manning was also having Harrison, Wayne, Clark together with him.........

LatrobePA
08-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Read the first few lines of this report and you'll see why he's hated. At your own 2 and you try an end around out of your endzone! lol he sucks!

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

SteelCurtain68
08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I have nightmares about the way he runs our offense!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-08-2011, 05:42 PM
At times I like Bruce and at other times he drives me nuts.......I think his play-calling is questionable at times but I have thought that about every Steelers OC from Ron Erhardt, Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, Ken Whisenhunt.........lol

I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for him but the OL was left in terrible shape when he took over as OC......The OL really didn't fit into what really he wants to do on offense and really was built for more of Cowher's power running game.....The Steelers now are drafting more athletic type of OL who can offer more in pass protection.....Pouncey and Gilbert fit more into BA's offensive philosophy......

Another huge key will be for the Steelers to keep these young WR's together so they can grow with Ben......The key to the Colts success so long besides having Manning was also having Harrison, Wayne, Clark together with him.........

I would think most of us can agree that Arians has his good points and bad points. His gameplan overall each week is usually not bad. He gets big plays down field, and mixes in the run and the pass. It just drives me nuts when you see him just completely blow a call at the worst time. For whatever reason he loves that patented reverse play which I believe worked all of 1 whole time last season. That draw of his is a disaster, teams can see it coming and they just crash the middle of the line and Moore or Mendenhall has nowhere to go.

It's not the overall ability of Arians that kills me, it's the big mistakes at the worse possible times that drive me up a wall.

steelersbabex25
08-08-2011, 07:40 PM
I would think most of us can agree that Arians has his good points and bad points. His gameplan overall each week is usually not bad. He gets big plays down field, and mixes in the run and the pass. It just drives me nuts when you see him just completely blow a call at the worst time. For whatever reason he loves that patented reverse play which I believe worked all of 1 whole time last season. That draw of his is a disaster, teams can see it coming and they just crash the middle of the line and Moore or Mendenhall has nowhere to go.

It's not the overall ability of Arians that kills me, it's the big mistakes at the worse possible times that drive me up a wall.

Ah, let's not forget the coveted WR screen that we must run a minimum of 20 times a game.

Goodfrom55
08-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Weighing in late here, but more than his system (which is OK), I am not a fan at all of his playcalling - especially the way he blatantly ignores the traditional HB screen game. Nothing and I mean nothing slows down a blitz faster than a good HB screen. Too predictable sometimes - a lot.