PDA

View Full Version : Are the Steelers setting themselves up for more trouble by voting NO to the CBA??

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2011, 10:46 AM
The NFLPA got enough votes from the rest of the teams to ratify the new CBA. The Steelers though, many of the players on the roster, voted no. It will officially go down as the Pittsburgh Steelers voting no, but in the end it really didn't matter.

Or did it? Has the constant complaining and bickering by guys like James Harrison, Ryan Clark, even Troy Polamalu and Lamarr Woodley, put an even bigger target on their back? Is Goodell going to lay down the law even harder now because the Steelers have been at the forefront of so much controversy vs. the league? Bring down more questionable fines, maybe even suspensions?

Perhaps you're of the line of thinking that the NFL officials won't have that in the back of their mind, and that Roger Goodell doesn't really care what the Steelers players think? He'll do what he wants regardless of whether Pittsburgh complains or not?

There are cases for both sides, but either way quite honestly I'm just tired of hearing about it. Yes the Steelers are a physical team, and yes the NFL is getting soft. There is no doubt Goodell is trying to soften the impact on the field these players go through and make the game less violent. The problem is, it's not going to change now. The CBA is a done deal, 10 more years of Goodell being judge, jury, and executioner. Either the Steelers continue to be who they are, play violent and physical, and deal with the potential consequences or they change their ways on defense? We all know the latter is not going to happen, so it is what is for Pittsburgh now. Be who you are, play your game, don't compromise what you believe in. However when the punishments come down, complaining about it won't make it go away.

ejsteeler
08-05-2011, 11:16 AM
unless of course goodhell has some sort of accident....:reddevil:

cmerrifield
08-05-2011, 11:23 AM
I think the Rooneys are too well respected in the league for them to continue to have a target. If it gets worse, I could see the Rooneys calling for his job.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

LarryNJ
08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Perhaps you're of the line of thinking that the NFL officials won't have that in the back of their mind, and that Roger Goodell doesn't really care what the Steelers players think? He'll do what he wants regardless of whether Pittsburgh complains or not?

That vote means nothing now.

I'm of the line of thinking that Roger doesn't care what the players (Steelers or any team) think and he'll do what he wants.

I believe officials are human and it's only natural to call more penalties on players who have whined and complained. Nobody likes to be criticized, unless you're some sort of Zen type person you are going to get defensive when criticized. When an official gets defensive what does he do? He shows the player who's the boss by throwing a flag. The players who get away with more things are the ones who are on the side of the officials. Talking to them, laughing, joking basically being their friend even after they are flagged. Than at a key moment in the game they throw up their hands or look at the ref and get the call to go their way. Many may call those players wussies who get all the calls. I say they are smart and work the system.

LatrobePA
08-05-2011, 11:53 AM
I say NO...F goodell!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2011, 02:16 PM
The officials tend to error on the side of caution too much for my opinion. I know they have to make split second decisions on the fly, but the fact that they are human means they will take past presidence into account when they see Harrison coming in for a sack.

I remember last year in the Buffalo game, the Referee saw Harrison coming in to sack Fitzpatrick and before Harrison even got to the QB he was reaching down for his flag to throw.

I don't know that Goodell cares one way or the other way the Steelers say. He's got his own agenda, and the opinions of others be damned. However if Harrison or Clark or anyone else on the Steelers is under scrutiny for a particular play, he probably wouldn't hesitate to lay down a bigger fine than what is warranted.

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-05-2011, 03:07 PM
We are the Black Sheep of the family...

connecticutsteel
08-05-2011, 09:37 PM
The union will not put up with that

SteelCityMan786
08-06-2011, 01:01 AM
I wouldn't be surprised. Especially Harrison with his article calling Goodell all of those names. However, it should have no weight in the decisions of the refs.