PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon says he's set at Tackle but would play Guard

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Willie Colon believes his possible move from tackle to guard could be a figment of the media's imagination, but said if that is what his coaches want, he will do that.
Colon resumed practice for the first time since the 2009 season, his third as the Steelers' starting right tackle. A Post-Gazette report this week said it was possible the Steelers could re-sign Flozell Adams, who started in place of the injured Colon last season. If that were to happen, Adams, released on the second day of training camp when he declined to accept a cut from his $5 million salary, could return to right tackle and the Steelers could move Colon to right guard.

"I've heard nothing," Colon said. "Me and coach [Sean Kugler] talk all time. I saw a depth chart; I'm at tackle. Until then, my mind is set at tackle, and I'll prepare to go to war as such."

Colon said he never has played guard except for "playing around on the scout team."
"We'll see. I'm not against it. Whatever's best. I'm happy to be at tackle."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11217/1165314-66-0.stm#ixzz1U9iWsGxN)

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I would think that if Flozell is going to come back, it's probably going to be later in camp. If he does, I still just don't get why you don't stick him at LT. It's not like he can't play the position or has no experience. He spent his entire career except for last year at that position. Why not bring him back, stick him at LT for 1 season, keep Colon at RT, and let Foster battle it out at RG. It's not rocket science.

K Train
08-05-2011, 11:37 AM
all the pieces are coming together...could my dream come true?

LatrobePA
08-05-2011, 12:01 PM
The new line coach is sharp and will place players at their strongest position. Now if I could get him over to my house to do the same for my wife I'd be set! lol

K Train
08-05-2011, 12:07 PM
I would think that if Flozell is going to come back, it's probably going to be later in camp. If he does, I still just don't get why you don't stick him at LT. It's not like he can't play the position or has no experience. He spent his entire career except for last year at that position. Why not bring him back, stick him at LT for 1 season, keep Colon at RT, and let Foster battle it out at RG. It's not rocket science.

hes always been a prototypical RT even when he played left, at this age he doesnt have the lateral quickness to be a LT but as a RT he can be a force, especially in the run game. playing him at LT would be playing 2 players on the line out of their more "natural" position. Colon has always been a guard playing RT at a respectable level and flo has always been a RT playing LT at a respectable level

i wouldnt expect him to participate much in camp anyway though.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2011, 12:44 PM
He may be built more for RT but he did flourish at LT for a long time. There were question marks about him making the transition to RT last year but he was able to do it. I think the big question is, are you more confident in Jonathan Scott or Flozell Adams at LT? And there's no quarantee that even if Scott does start at LT this year that they don't go for a LT next year in the draft or free agency?

Things are more in focus now than they were a couple weeks ago, which is a good thing but that LT position is a concern in a pretty substantial way, IMO.

Root4Stlrs
08-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I just read Ed Bouchette's blog from this AM - says they won't bring Flozell back b/c he wants too much money. I hope that this is wrong. He may be the oldest but he was the only one who stayed healthy enough to start every game last year.

K Train
08-05-2011, 12:52 PM
He may be built more for RT but he did flourish at LT for a long time. There were question marks about him making the transition to RT last year but he was able to do it. I think the big question is, are you more confident in Jonathan Scott or Flozell Adams at LT? And there's no quarantee that even if Scott does start at LT this year that they don't go for a LT next year in the draft or free agency?

Things are more in focus now than they were a couple weeks ago, which is a good thing but that LT position is a concern in a pretty substantial way, IMO.

honestly id prefer scott, i just dont think flo can do it anymore. as much as i LOATHE jonathan scott hed probably be more effective.

gilbert ftw though

LatrobePA
08-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Pretty good read on some of the Oline camp battles:

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d82108ac1/article/pass-protectors-need-to-step-up-for-steelers-big-ben?module=HP11_hot_topics

BlitzburghRockCity
08-06-2011, 12:36 AM
honestly id prefer scott, i just dont think flo can do it anymore. as much as i LOATHE jonathan scott hed probably be more effective.

gilbert ftw though

I don't really have a great deal of confidence in Scott right now but I hope the year of experience he got last season will serve him well. This is definitely not the LT we envisioned on the line for 2011. We'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt though, but man the lack of depth behind him worries me almost as much as the starter does.