PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Lamarr Woodley extended for 6 years!

Zachintosh66
08-05-2011, 07:45 AM
LaMarr Woodley announces a new long-term deal

Posted by Mike Florio on August 5, 2011, 6:56 AM EDT

As of Thursday, the Pittsburgh Steelers needed to clear more than $8 million in cap space in order to comply with the salary cap. Part of that process apparently was to reduce the eight-figure franchise-tag number for linebacker LaMarr Woodley by giving him a long-term deal.

Woodley has announced via Twitter and Facebook (but apparently not “MyFace”) that he will retire in Pittsburgh and that he’s a Steeler “for life.”

He disclosed no details of the deal.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has said that he’s willing to restructure his contract to help create cap space, a process that can be done without reducing compensation.

UPDATE: Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it’s a six-year, $61.5 million deal. He’ll make $18.1 million in 2011 and $27 million over two years, making him the second highest-paid Steeler of all time, behind only Roethlisberger. The cap number for 2011 is not yet known.

Thisoneguy555
08-05-2011, 07:55 AM
I think Woodley is a great player and all, but he's not worth being the 2nd highest paid Steeler of all time.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Wow that deal is higher than even I thought, 61.5 million, WOW! I can see the 6 year deal, that helps ease the cap burden tremendously by spreading out the signing bonus over that long. Possibly also putting a good chunk of that money in the final year or 2 as well. We'll find out soon enough what the terms are, but either way getting him locked up for the long run was a must have deal to get done considering the names that will be up for free agency in 2012. That tag is now freed up for them to use on Timmons or Polamalu next year if they need it.

Ibleedblk&gld
08-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Saw this a little bit ago...as a Michigan fan and in the closet woodley lover, this gives me a chub :D

steelchamp204
08-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Man I would hate to see how much we will have to resign timmons for. Not saying Woodley is bad, But I think he needs to cut some weight to be a better pass cover guy when he drops back

LatrobePA
08-05-2011, 08:28 AM
That's some coin...Congrats Wood!

TampaSteelGirl
08-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Saw this a little bit ago...as a Michigan fan and in the closet woodley lover, this gives me a chub :D

ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AND IM A CHICK!!! :grin1:

JensK
08-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Huge contract, but those LBs gets payed a lot these days so it was to be expected. The great thing is the way the structured the contract. Sure, the Rooneys will have to pay a lot, but it is a really cap friendly deal not only this year but also the next couple of years as well, which should make it possible to pull the same kind of contract with both Timmons and Polamalu should they wish to maintain both.

harpo
08-05-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm glad he got his money but I just hope they have enough left to sign Timmons long term.

PsychoWard
08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
all i have to say is.....:clap:

LatrobePA
08-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Spent but saved:

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
With his new deal, LaMarr Woodley's salary-cap number actually dropped from $10 million to $6.5 million in 2011. Steelers spent - and saved.
2 minutes ago

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2011, 09:17 AM
The Steelers have chosen to go the route of continuing to build up the linebackers up while putting the cornerbacks on the backburner. Yes, Ike Taylor is back and that's great! Yes they did spend a couple draft picks on Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen but when you look at the money they now have wrapped up in linebackers and how much Timmons will command in 2012, it's clear they are banking on the pass rushers.

LarryNJ
08-05-2011, 09:18 AM
That's great news. I'm confident that with his personality he'll go out prove he's worth the money.

Raleigh Steel
08-05-2011, 09:32 AM

couldn't agree more!!!!

K Train
08-05-2011, 09:55 AM
brilliant...i cant believe he took so much less money than tamba hali but this is awesome.

i have zero faith in worilds and this makes life a lot simpler when it comes to OLBs for the future.

also this proves that the salary cap always has been and always will be a joke

cmerrifield
08-05-2011, 10:04 AM
I am not sure he deserves to be the second highest paid Steeler, but I am glad the deal is done.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

LatrobePA
08-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Woodley is a post season game changer..

K Train
08-05-2011, 10:15 AM
I am not sure he deserves to be the second highest paid Steeler, but I am glad the deal is done.

he also didnt deserve to make 550k last season.

your gonna see that more and more though, he wont be the second highest paid steeler for long im sure. steelers taking care of their own, cant complain there

he has been reliable and durable but most of all patient for a new deal. im glad to keep him around

MDSteel15
08-05-2011, 10:16 AM

:hilarious: :greenbounce2: :bunny: :eek1:

PsychoWard
08-05-2011, 10:18 AM

your gonna see that more and more though, he wont be the second highest paid steeler for long im sure. steelers taking care of their own, cant complain there

he has been reliable and durable but most of all patient for a new deal. im glad to keep him around

Exaclty!! he has been very patient!!! He is not your typical athlete demanding more money! He knew he deserved it and he sat back and waited and now he got it! Good for him!

cmerrifield
08-05-2011, 10:21 AM

I am glad for the deal and I guess the Steelers did owe him some back pay. He has been a class act throughout this whole process and I am glad he will be here for 6 more years.

andyg1984
08-05-2011, 10:24 AM
ok, i can buy the jersey now .. no way harrison plays out his whole contract imo

K Train
08-05-2011, 10:30 AM
harrison could, hes a young 31...i just hope his recent back issues go away. i would expect him to kick inside near the back end of his deal

tburg68
08-05-2011, 11:37 AM
harrison could, hes a young 31...i just hope his recent back issues go away. i would expect him to kick inside near the back end of his deal

I think he either kicks inside or gets kicked to the curb toward the end of his deal. I love him and always thought that he would be the perfect inside compliment to Timmons. If(and it's a BIG if) Worilds can develop, Harrison would be a great inside backer.

K Train
08-05-2011, 11:40 AM
hes imo the best OLB in the league in that his game is so well rounded as a pass rusher, coverage LB, and run stuffer....but hes playing out of position, which is scary.

tburg68
08-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Could you imagine him running around wreaking havoc from the inside???

Rampage
08-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Glad to see Woodley get the extension. The contract is a bit rich, but hopefully he lives up to it.

Steelers_All_Day_43
08-05-2011, 01:16 PM
He better prove his worth this year! DPOY?

coldrolled
08-05-2011, 01:36 PM
brilliant...i cant believe he took so much less money than tamba hali but this is awesome.

i have zero faith in worilds and this makes life a lot simpler when it comes to OLBs for the future.

also this proves that the salary cap always has been and always will be a joke

Really, make the salary cap 250mil.... whatever you spend in any form on a player is added during the year and counted toward the 250mil...

Done... if you get caught cheating you lose your next years 1st and 2nd round pick.

Big T
08-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Extremely happy about this :yesnod:

DanRooney
08-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Way overpaid.

I hope this extra cash helps him learn another pass rushing move other than the bullrush. Bulaga had no difficulty containing him one-on-one.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2011, 02:29 PM
The pressure is on the linebackers, specifically Woodley since we're talking about his contract. You better have atleast double digit sacks every year (and not just 10, you expect atleast 13-15 per year from a pass rusher making this much money), a couple picks, a few forced fumbles, and good number of QB hurries.

Oh he can do it, I have no doubt. He's got great skills and and works well in the system. He's mean on the field, and relentless. He can do it, yes, but he also better do it for that money.

Big T
08-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Woodley inking his deal.

http://media.whosay.com/53147/53147_me.jpg

http://www.whosay.com/LamarrWoodley/photos/53147

TampaSteelGirl
08-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Woodley inking his deal.

LOVE THIS ALOT!!!!!

mos07
08-05-2011, 02:55 PM
NICE.....no problem with $$$$ spent........in the Rooneys I trust...........

igor0190
08-05-2011, 05:57 PM
He could have easily held out last year when he was only making $550K, consider part of this salary a reward for him being underpaid the last two years. He still comes at a discount when you consider what some of the other OLB's on other teams are getting paid. The raiders are paying michael huff 16million for god sakes.... be thankful we don't have that stupid of a front office!

Over the past 4 years Harrison has without a doubt been the best OLB in the league. There are some that may have a few more sacks, but add in forced fumbles, tackles, tackles for loss, and NOBODY is even close.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Woodley inking his deal.

I really like this too! No pomp and circumstance, no TV cameras, no big interview in front of the world. Just him chillin out in his dorm room signing his 61 million dollar deal.

tburg68
08-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Check out market value for top outside linebackers in the NFL. This is not too much money for him.

Only two Steelers have had back to back double digit sack years. Harrison and...................WOODLEY!!

Guy is Gold.

greennick
08-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Check out market value for top outside linebackers in the NFL. This is not too much money for him.

Only two Steelers have had back to back double digit sack years. Harrison and...................WOODLEY!!

Guy is Gold.

And Woodley is on 3 in a row.... :yellowthumb: