PDA

View Full Version : Goodell: Steelers LB Harrison won't be punished for comments

StlersGuy
08-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Story (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82137357/article/goodell-steelers-lb-harrison-wont-be-punished-for-comments?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed)

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told NFL Network on Wednesday that he doesn't plan to punish James Harrison for derogatory comments the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) linebacker leveled at him in a recent magazine interview.

But the final decision on any action taken against Harrison might not be Goodell's to make. Among the issues still being negotiated by the NFL and its players Wednesday was the power Goodell holds over player discipline and the appeals process. Currently, the commissioner has final say on the length and severity of all fines and suspensions levied under the league's personal-conduct policy.
They still will find a way to screw him

steelersbabex25
08-03-2011, 10:51 PM
He's the one who said it. Now he can face the consequences.

LarryNJ
08-03-2011, 11:26 PM
That's good news and the way it should be.

LatrobePA
08-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Told ya so...

StlersGuy
08-04-2011, 12:12 AM
That's good news and the way it should be.

:yesnod:

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk Pro

BlacknGold Bleeder
08-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Consequences for speaking his mind ??? thought we still lived in a free country...

StlersGuy
08-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Consequences for speaking his mind ??? thought we still lived in a free country...

Not under Gordells mind

Thisoneguy555
08-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Not under Gordells mind

Doubt it, I saw an interview with him today, when asked about Harrison, he made it clear that he doesn't care about Harrison's comments nor would he even talk to Harrison about t he comments made.

Like someone said, this is a free country and no where in Harrison's contract does it say he can't say anything bad about Goodell. If Goodell punished Harrison, you know the players would be all over him. The new CBA limits what he can do now. He can't just go fining anyone he wants to.

steelersbabex25
08-04-2011, 08:34 AM

Consequences for being derogatory and calling someone a fagg*t.

LarryNJ
08-04-2011, 10:36 AM
I agree that nothing sound be done and we move on. Sorry but the free country argument doesn't come into play in this instance.

steelersbabex25
08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
I agree that nothing sound be done and we move on. Sorry but the free country argument doesn't come into play in this instance.

Thank you. Just because we live in a "free country" doesn't mean that everyone can go around saying whatever they want to whoever they want and not be punished in some way.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2011, 03:32 PM
We'll see if all is well and forgiven when the regular season starts and the fines start flying as fast as the yellow flags do for the Steelers. Punish him or don't punish him, but you can bet each time Harrison makes a highlight reel, those comments from before will be in the back of Goodell's mind.

As far as the fagg*t comment, that is uncalled for in this day and age. The rest of it well, it is what it is ;)

TampaSteelGirl
08-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Of course he's not going to fine him now...he'll wait till the season starts when he can SUSPEND him!!!!! Just sayin....

STEELyourface
08-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Goodell can't do anything he'd run the risk off losing all credibility (what little he has left) with the players and it would seem petty to all the fans, wouldn't it?

I love Harrison and I love the Steelers but saying those things was a little childish. At first, I wanted to hear him rip Goodell but this far removed from the fines it seems almost like sour grapes (he does have a right to be mad though).

I will find it very interesting to see how some of his early big hits play out as far as "legal" or "illegal," it's possible I guess that Goodell could very well be gunning for him. Hope not!