PDA

View Full Version : Steelers players may not ratify new CBA deal

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2011, 02:13 PM
The Steelers players, frustrated over the lack of movement on the NFL conduct policy, may not ratify the collective bargaining agreement they agreed to on July 25.

There were several issues, including the latitude NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has in levying fines, which could not be negotiated until the players re-certified as a union.
The players re-certified last week but since then, Steelers player representative Ryan Clark said today, there has been no progress in changing the fines system — one in which players claim they have no say or power.

"A big issue for us is Roger Goodell having absolute control over the fines system, judge, jury and appeals," Clark said. "I think for a lot of teams, it wouldn`t be as big a deal but for us it is. We`re the team that gets fined the most and we play a brand of football that, sometimes, subjects us to his opinion. That`s something that really hasn`t been talked about this"

If the Steelers players do not ratify the CBA, the free agents that have not been allowed to practice will remain sidelined. When the players approved the new CBA part of the agreement was that free agents could not practice even if they had signed until the CBA had been ratified.
The commissioner`s powers and drug testing, Clark said, are among the issues that need to be resolved before the players sign off on the CBA.

"Without these things collectively bargained to our satisfaction as player reps, we don`t feel like it`s right to get a deal signed and to get those other guys back to camp if we`re not comfortable going on," Clark said.

Cornerback Ike Taylor is among the Steelers free agents who have not been allowed to practice.

"When they give me the green light, I'm going to be ready," said Taylor, who agreed to a four-year contract with the Steelers on July 26. "For now, I guess it's a yellow light. We'll see if it changes."

Asked if he could prepare for the season on short notice, Taylor replied: "I'm ready now. I took a week off after the Super Bowl. That was it. That should let you know right there."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20players%20may%20not%20ratify%20CBA%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749792.html#ixzz1TzFUVIAh)

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2011, 02:40 PM
This is making big news all over the web right now. It could be a smokescreen by Clark to try and force the hand of the NFL. He's been known to spout off about things like this recently. It remains to be seen how tough of a stance the Steelers players will take on this.

According to Charlie Batch, when the players and owners agreed to the new deal, there was/is still a chance that preseason games could be lost. The settlement agreement was voted on, and then they had to ratify their union status again. Once that is in place they then have to ratify the union type issues. That's the problem now.

If the Steelers players go against this new CBA, it will not create a work stoppage for the entire NFL but it would affect the Steelers players showing up at training camp and preseason going forward. Now if the entire NFL players were to take a stand then we'd have a bigger situation.

Potentially as of tomorrow the Steelers could be not practicing at St. Vincent..atleast not all of them. We'll know more as the day goes on.

DIESELMAN
08-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Clark makes a very good point. Goodell or whoever levies the fines and suspensions must be unbiased, no ifs ands or buts. Personal issues whether it be favoritism or a personal dislike for a player cannot weigh into that decision. Goodell has shown that he is biased towards the Steelers.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

SteelDad
08-03-2011, 03:06 PM
I've been on the side of the players throughout this crap and I do see Clark's point. Much like James Harrison's argument in the infamous article, look at those who are in the chain of command when it comes to on-field discipline. I believe Merton Hanks is the only former player and he wasn't exactly known for aggressiveness. There needs to be an installation of a 'League official/former player' panel to decide punishment, fines etc.

StlersGuy
08-03-2011, 03:08 PM
And we thought the labor talks where over with:banging::willybs:

cmerrifield
08-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I agree with Clark and the Steelers here. Ben gets jacked in the face at the Raiders game and the player gets ejected, but that is a $10,000 fine, Ben gets his nose broke, 10,000 fine and no penalty, when a QB's head is supposed to be protected. Harrison hits a Brown WR and gets $75,000 when it looks like the WR lowered his head at the same time Harrison did. It seems like the commish needs some help figuring out fines.

SteelDad
08-03-2011, 03:19 PM
And we thought the labor talks where over with:banging::willybs:

I jinxed it on the podcast last night! Curses!!!

Rampage
08-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Just play some damn football already.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Way to go Marc!!! What were you thinking!!!

If it comes down to the rest of the NFL team ratifying the new union rules and the Steelers are against it, how long can or will they hold out? Eventually they would have to cave in and just report and deal with whatever comes their way in the season. Them sitting out camp, preseason, and the regular season completely is not an option. You're talking guys like Ike Taylor, Willie Colon, William Gay, just to name a few that haven't been able to participate in camp yet.

StlersGuy
08-03-2011, 03:44 PM
I jinxed it on the podcast last night! Curses!!!

:snipers:

TampaSteelGirl
08-03-2011, 03:47 PM
I agree with Clark and the Steelers here. Ben gets jacked in the face at the Raiders game and the player gets ejected, but that is a $10,000 fine, Ben gets his nose broke, 10,000 fine and no penalty, when a QB's head is supposed to be protected. Harrison hits a Brown WR and gets $75,000 when it looks like the WR lowered his head at the same time Harrison did. It seems like the commish needs some help figuring out fines.

I agree..just because the money is right for them shouldn't mean they have to compromise on everything else..I hate that Goodell is in control of decsions of fines and punishments etc...we all know how that goes...most teams in the NFL would be ok with this but since he :barf:s on the Steelers so much I agree 100% with what Clark is saying!

LatrobePA
08-03-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't pretend to know things that I know nothing about, but I'll take Clarks side..

jpele
08-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Just play some damn football already.

That would be "flag football" at least for the Steelers.

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-03-2011, 04:22 PM
I suppose you could disagree on this. Though I don't know how. Me, Clark is dead on. Just look at the ridiculousness from last year. The Steelers players should not be Goodballs personal cash cow.

Really hate the prick.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Unless the Steelers can get support from the rest of the league on this they are going to be dead in the water. Them alone holding out and not signing will not stop the new deal from being ratified by the union when the time comes. I would hope though, that other teams would feel similar such as the Dolphins, Ravens, and Bears for example who all play physical style defense like the Steelers.

We'll have to wait and see how this pans out tonight and tomorrow. With any luck it will blow over.

TampaSteelGirl
08-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Unless the Steelers can get support from the rest of the league on this they are going to be dead in the water. Them alone holding out and not signing will not stop the new deal from being ratified by the union when the time comes. I would hope though, that other teams would feel similar such as the Dolphins, Ravens, and Bears for example who all play physical style defense like the Steelers.

We'll have to wait and see how this pans out tonight and tomorrow. With any luck it will blow over.

This won't happen..im sure the other 31 teams enjoy the implosion handed to the Steelers by Goodell..they will back it 100% so we may be alone on this one.

SteelDad
08-03-2011, 08:37 PM
With tomorrow being the official "League start date" it should be interesting to see if this story gets more legs. If these guys truly are a fraternity then we'll find out if anyone stands with the Steelers.

coach
08-03-2011, 08:59 PM
I think this is just the players coming to the aid of their teammate and making a point by airing their displeasure over the decisions that have gone against them previously. I think this will all be over soon and then, get ready for Harrison to be suspended the first time he is flagged this year for what he said in that article. Goodell Castro will likley make an example of him for speaking up/out.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Players are voting as we speak, we should hear something later this afternoon and see if all the Steelers voted for it or not.

connecticutsteel
08-04-2011, 02:15 PM
If the Steelers have no support it will only hurt the steelers not the league

BlitzburghRockCity
08-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Aug. 04, 2011 7:40 p.m. - by Chuck Finder - Steelers majority voted against new CBA A majority of the Steelers players voted against the CBA, choosing not to ratify. But the vote was recorded by total union players, not team by team. “There were a lot of things we weren’t happy with,” OT Willie Colon said.

From our friends at Steelers RapidReports