PDA

View Full Version : Steelers looking to sign Woodley long term

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2011, 08:43 AM
LaMarr Woodley, the Steelers' Pro Bowl linebacker said Tuesday that the team has approached him about signing a multiyear contract.

In February, management applied the franchise tag to Woodley, and he accepted a one-year, $10 million contract. If the team and player can agree to a long-term deal, Woodley benefits by receiving more guaranteed money, and the team benefits by reducing its salary-cap hit for the coming season.

Woodley declined to discuss specifics of the Steelers' approach, but, when asked if the term could be five or six years, he smiled and replied, "Hopefully, yeah. That would be nice."

The Steelers must be within cap compliance by Thursday, but they might achieve that through restructuring other contracts. If Woodley's extension is not part of that equation, the effective deadline to be done there would be Sept. 11, the date of the season opener, as management will not negotiate contracts during the season per standard policy.

Woodley, 26, had 10 sacks last season, his third year in a row in double-digits

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20offer%20extension%20to%20linebacker%20W oodley%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749603.html#ixzz1TxuUNESC)

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2011, 09:08 AM
This is a move that absolutely has to be done at this point. Woodley is carrying that franchise tag and with guys like Timmons and Polamalu due up for 2012, getting Woodley inked long term frees up cap space and frees up that tag to use if need be.

You don't want to enter the 2012 season with having to sign 3 of your top starters on defense; a defense that ranks top 5 every year.

StlersGuy
08-03-2011, 10:02 AM
This is a must and I still can not believe they have yet to get it done.

UKSTEELER
08-03-2011, 10:44 AM
I'd prefer us to hold off on it for this year . . .

I'm not quite so smitten with Mr Woodley's play as the vast majority of the Steeler Nation!

I got to see practically every snap last season, and his performances through the first half of the season were very average to say the least, as is his want, he tends to come on stronger towards the tail end of the season and the playoffs to my mind he still just remains a poor mans James Harrison.

He's a decent fit in Dick's system, not convinced he's got much more upside due over the next 3/4/5 years?

This mind ain't for changing, except by the play of Mr Woodley.
:helmet:

TampaSteelGirl
08-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Im so ready for him to get signed...my kids have his jersey and Im ready to get mine for the season!!!! Lets pay the man and get this season started!!! :tt02:

cmerrifield
08-03-2011, 10:54 AM
This is a must and I still can not believe they have yet to get it done.

They dont have it done because he would have to stop practicing until August 4th. Anyone, except rookies, who signs, or changes their contracts has to wait to practice. I am sure it will be announced tomorrow.

coldrolled
08-03-2011, 10:54 AM
I'd prefer us to hold off on it for this year . . .

I'm not quite so smitten with Mr Woodley's play as the vast majority of the Steeler Nation!

I got to see practically every snap last season, and his performances through the first half of the season were very average to say the least, as is his want, he tends to come on stronger towards the tail end of the season and the playoffs to my mind he still just remains a poor mans James Harrison.

He's a decent fit in Dick's system, not convinced he's got much more upside due over the next 3/4/5 years?

This mind ain't for changing, except by the play of Mr Woodley.

let woirlds play a bit and **** him off a little... some of our starters never have anyone on their heels to push them harder.. same with sly and farrior...

UKSTEELER
08-03-2011, 11:13 AM
let woirlds play a bit and **** him off a little... some of our starters never have anyone on their heels to push them harder.. same with sly and farrior...
:yellowthumb:

This is probably the single biggest gripe I have with our organis(z)ation!

I seem to recall Worilds making a big play at the death against the Jets . . .

I understand the learning curve involved, takes time, but take a look around the league and you see Rookies and 2nd year players flourishing, while all ours do is rot the bench and get fed up!

TampaSteelGirl
08-03-2011, 11:43 AM
They dont have it done because he would have to stop practicing until August 4th. Anyone, except rookies, who signs, or changes their contracts has to wait to practice. I am sure it will be announced tomorrow.

I totally forgot about this...I was wondering why they were waiting. Thank you for the clairification, this does make sense.

--- Added 8/3/2011 at 09:43 AM ---

:yellowthumb:

This is probably the single biggest gripe I have with our organis(z)ation!

I seem to recall Worilds making a big play at the death against the Jets . . .

I understand the learning curve involved, takes time, but take a look around the league and you see Rookies and 2nd year players flourishing, while all ours do is rot the bench and get fed up!

I do have to agree here...

Rampage
08-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I would love to see an extension come this week. I just had ESPN on for 15 minutes waiting for them to get to a blurb about Woodley's new deal, but they decided to switch everything up and talk about Philly some more.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-03-2011, 02:20 PM
All this Philly talk is quite sickening, I'll give you that.

For Woodley though, if they don't get him signed to a new deal before the season starts they are putting themselves in a bad position for 2011. One also wonders if the Rooney's will put aside their usual rule of not talking contracts after the season starts this year due to the CBA issues that plagued contract talks.