PDA

View Full Version : Steelers special teams developments for 2011

Speeed
08-01-2011, 06:06 PM
I had forgotten all about the Steelers special teams fiascos. Has there any been any talk, developments, drafts, coaching changes, or even rumors that address the special teams?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
The Special Teams were pretty solid last year.. Antonio Brown added a spark in the punt return game and figures to only get better. The coverage units have been much improved over the last 2 years.

Kicking game as far as field goals, that is a concern though mainly because of just trying to find a new kicker for 2011. Also punting, will Sepulveda be able to get his job back and stay healthy. There is a lot to be determined in camp and preseason with the kicking game but coverage and return wise the team is solid over all.

PsychoWard
08-01-2011, 06:31 PM
don't forget we got rid of ARE!!! :woot: :lol:

Mean Linebacker
08-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Randle El was past his prime, and I personally never cared for his return style to be quite honest. He danced around way too much instead of just hitting the hole and going for it like the top quality return guys do it.

Special teams has been a problem for the Steelers in the past, but the last couple of years they seem to be back on track. It's nice to have that unit be an asset instead of a liability.

connecticutsteel
08-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Speed and patience are the biggest keys to being a good return man you need speed to outrun and you need patience to let the wall or the play develop let guy get on there blocks

Speeed
08-02-2011, 11:44 AM
I should have specified in the kick return defense department. I could not bear to watch the opposing team return a kick. It was like the Steelers were rolling the dice to see how they would fare.

SteelDad
08-02-2011, 12:32 PM
No doubt we always seem to have an area of struggle on ST and last year the Brad Smith TD turned out to be a killer in that game. Draw play inside our own 5 didn't help either. Cortez Allen looks to have some serious promise on ST. He was excellent on ST in his college career and we already have a few guys entrenched so hopefully we'll be better.

LarryNJ
08-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I should have specified in the kick return defense department. I could not bear to watch the opposing team return a kick. It was like the Steelers were rolling the dice to see how they would fare.

You're right it's sad when as a fan you feel safer kicking it out of bounds and letting them start on the 40. :)

That being said they did get better last year.

TampaSteelGirl
08-02-2011, 01:13 PM
I think they did pretty well last year...years past I had to hold my breathe and cover my eyes :yikes:

Rampage
08-02-2011, 01:54 PM
I heard that Keyaron Fox is still practicing his inopportune flag drawing skills on coverage/return duty.

roosterray
08-02-2011, 02:35 PM
don't forget we got rid of ARE!!! :woot: :lol:

Thank god. :yellowthumb::yellowthumb::yellowthumb::yellowthum b::yellowthumb: