PDA

View Full Version : Perogies!

Stairwayto7
01-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I need the best recipe for them! It must include sour cream and onions, right FCG!:cabbagepatch:

floodcitygirl
01-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Uh oh...hey you....only if I get invited to eat them! :greengrin:

Stairwayto7
01-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Uh oh...hey you....only if I get invited to eat them! :greengrin:

Wouldnt have it any other way!:banana:

Blitzburgh55
01-12-2007, 06:54 PM
We were talking bout them in math in today my math teacher is from the burgh

floodcitygirl
01-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Wouldnt have it any other way!:banana:Then what are you looking for a recipe for??? I thought you were the expert.....or were you deceiving me???? :dunno:

Stairwayto7
01-12-2007, 07:06 PM
:stirpot: Just wanted to see if anyone had any unusual ideas??:dunno:

floodcitygirl
01-12-2007, 07:15 PM
No need to mess with perfection! All you need is the potato cheese with butter, onions, and sour cream! Ok...now I'm hungry!

Stairwayto7
01-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Maybe I should of asked, whats the best way to eat them????

floodcitygirl
01-12-2007, 08:05 PM
With me at the table, of course! :banana:

Stairwayto7
01-12-2007, 08:08 PM
With me at the table, of course! :banana:

Thats not enough info!

floodcitygirl
01-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Thats not enough info!Ok....Potato/cheese perogies (THAT YOU'VE MADE) butter, onion, sour cream...and me at the table, eating them. :greengrin:

TampaSteelGirl
01-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Ohhhh! i love perogies..my boyfriend is spanish and never had them before until he met me....now he loves them!!

TampaSteelGirl
01-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Ok....Potato/cheese perogies (THAT YOU'VE MADE) butter, onion, sour cream...and me at the table, eating them. :greengrin:

yea! yea! yea!!!!!!!!! :bigthumb:

Koopa
01-12-2007, 10:03 PM
perogies ****ing rule all.....i haven't had some since before my senior year in high school when i went to pa for a few weeks in the summer, but they ****in ruled lol

Stairwayto7
01-12-2007, 10:11 PM
perogies ****ing rule all.....i haven't had some since before my senior year in high school when i went to pa for a few weeks in the summer, but they ****in ruled lol

Koopa my old friend, we`ll have to get together next time you come north

House of Steel
01-12-2007, 10:26 PM
I love them to the core. Slavic Village section of Cleveland is all Polish, and they have some of the best homemade ones you've ever had. I love the Cheese and Bacon ones. OH MAN!!! I can eat a whole plate of them suckers myself. damn I hungry.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-12-2007, 10:31 PM
I guess it is good I live in a polish neighborhood :lol:

Stairwayto7
01-12-2007, 10:36 PM
I love them to the core. Slavic Village section of Cleveland is all Polish, and they have some of the best homemade ones you've ever had. I love the Cheese and Bacon ones. OH MAN!!! I can eat a whole plate of them suckers myself. damn I hungry.

Where exactly is the Slovic Village section?

MRS Steelerfan
01-12-2007, 10:43 PM
OK, I have read 2 pages of this "thingy"/aka thread called perogies, and I still do not see a recipe for them. I do not know how to make them, have only ever had frozen ones, which are aweful, so help a girl out.. How would one make these??

floodcitygirl
01-13-2007, 12:51 AM
OK, I have read 2 pages of this "thingy"/aka thread called perogies, and I still do not see a recipe for them. I do not know how to make them, have only ever had frozen ones, which are aweful, so help a girl out.. How would one make these?? Here you go. Now this is not my Godmother's recipe because she has no recipe. I've made them with her and tried to write it down but it was impossible. She goes completely by sight and feel. By the time I was done kneading the dough I thought my arm was gonna fall off! Lots of work...but sooo worth it! I've heard good things about this recipe though. Hope it helps!

INGREDIENTS
4 eggs
8 cups all-purpose flour
8 ounce container sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
warm water

FILLING (Potato or Sauerkrat)

(If you like the potato filling)
4 lbs mashed potatoes
1 lb shredded Cheddar cheese (or cottage and ricotta)
2 small white onions (saute in butter not margerine)
salt and pepper

The night before, mix together mashed potatoes and onion then add cheese....Season with salt and pepper to taste. (should be lumpy for proper texture)

(If you like the Sauerkrat)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced mushrooms
14 oz. sauerkraut - drained
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sour cream

In large skillet, heat oil over medium flame....Add onions and mushrooms...and cook until tender but not brown. Stir in sauerkraut, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook for 6 to 10 minutes.....Remove from heat, and stir in 2 tablespoons sour cream.

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, mix eggs, sour cream, and salt....Stir in flour and warm water. Add water until dough feels soft and smooth. Place on a lightly floured board, and knead..... Roll out to between 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out circles with either the top of a cup or a biscuit cutter. Cover with waxed paper to prevent drying out if not filling immediately.

Place 1 or 2 tablespoons filling on one side of a circle of dough.... Fold over, and press the edges with a fork to seal.....Repeat until ingredients are used.

Bring a large pot of water ,with a tablespoon of salt, to a boil . Immerse pierogi. Cook until the dumplings float to the surface

Take from pan and fry in butter slightly until just yellowing. Serve with sour cream, and top with fried bacon or onions.

floodcitygirl
01-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Koopa my old friend, we`ll have to get together next time you come northWait a minute!!!!! Are you sure you have enough for me AND him????? :nono:

House of Steel
01-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Cleve, did you get my pager messenger about where exactly is Slavic Village area of Cleveland? If not, I will put it up here. Just wanted to make sure you got it.

MRS Steelerfan
01-13-2007, 01:01 AM
WOW, that is alot of work. I either need to meet up with y'all to eat some.. Or find a good place to dine out and get them!

floodcitygirl
01-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Cleve, did you get my pager messenger about where exactly is Slavic Village area of Cleveland? If not, I will put it up here. Just wanted to make sure you got it.HOS, I've had them from the Slavic Village. I have a brother that lives close by. They are yummy from there!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-13-2007, 01:04 AM
I have some slavic in me. I need to check Slavic Village out.

House of Steel
01-13-2007, 01:48 AM
Let me know, we can hang out there and have a dinner of perogies at the RED CHIMMEY restaurant.

Stairwayto7
01-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Let me know, we can hang out there and have a dinner of perogies at the RED CHIMMEY restaurant.

That sounds like a plan, I`ll be in the area tonite, but won`t have time for dinner. Soon though, I live in Lake County, but I`m always on the west side it seems, so I pass through almost weekly

Stairwayto7
01-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Cleve, did you get my pager messenger about where exactly is Slavic Village area of Cleveland? If not, I will put it up here. Just wanted to make sure you got it.

Just got it this morning, and yes we will meet up!

Stairwayto7
01-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Wait a minute!!!!! Are you sure you have enough for me AND him????? :nono:

There will always be plenty for you!:bigthumb:

House of Steel
01-13-2007, 10:34 AM
You know, you might want to stratch the Red Chimmey off the list, they went to the sewer I heard. They have a new ownership and the waitresses are bitches in there. We went there four years ago as regulars and I always had the same waitress, she was 55 years old and as diehard Steelers as you can get. She loved me. I was a golden ray of sunshine for her on Mondays and Fridays when my Father in Law took my wife and I there for lunch. We talk Steelers all the time. I miss her, wonder what she thought when the Steelers finally won the ONE FOR THE THUMB!!! :tt02: :tt02: She finally got to see that. She saw the 70s dynasty also.

Stairwayto7
01-13-2007, 10:36 AM
You know, you might want to stratch the Red Chimmey off the list, they went to the sewer I heard. They have a new ownership and the waitresses are bitches in there. We went there four years ago as regulars and I always had the same waitress, she was 55 years old and as diehard Steelers as you can get. She loved me. I was a golden ray of sunshine for her on Mondays and Fridays when my Father in Law took my wife and I there for lunch. We talk Steelers all the time. I miss her, wonder what she thought when the Steelers finally won the ONE FOR THE THUMB!!! :tt02: :tt02: She finally got to see that. She saw the 70s dynasty also.

you mentioned the Lakewood area, I`ve only been to three restaurants in that area, Wiking Lizard, Pier W , and Giovannis

floodcitygirl
01-13-2007, 12:00 PM
There will always be plenty for you!:bigthumb:Alrighty then! :cabbagepatch: