PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger and James Harrison restructure their deals

Big T
08-01-2011, 03:11 PM
According to Ed Bouchette on twitter:

Ben Roethlisberger agreed to a restructure to create cap space for the
Again, "restructuring" does not mean "givebacks". It creates cap room for team by moving numbers around. 2011 salary goes into bonus instead.
Ben's restructuring can't be official until Thursday or else he could not practice because of James Harrison's agent, Bill Parise also confirmed that his client restructured his deal to help free up cap room.

"Brett Keisel reworks contract too to help steelers with cap roomQuarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Pro Bowl outside linebacker James Harrison have restructured their contracts to help the Steelers get under the salary cap and perhaps free some room to sign players, the Post-Gazette has learned.

The Steelers are trying to restructure the contracts of at least five players, and maybe six, to get to the $120 million salary cap by Thursday.

Roethlisberger, who signed an eight-year, $102 million contract in March 2008, will not have the amount or the length of his deal altered, said his agent, Ryan Tollner. But it was restructured to create more cap space for the Steelers in 2011 and future seasons.

"It was something for Ben to do," Tollner said. "The team needed to free up space and Ben was certainly happy to help out."

The restructured contracts are not official until they have been submitted to the National Football League office for approval.

Harrison signed a six-year, $51.7 million contract with $20 million guaranteed in April, 2009.

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11213/1164438-100.stm#ixzz1TsADtRTY)

StlersGuy
08-01-2011, 03:11 PM
He is the man, now lets go out and get him what he wants

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2011, 03:38 PM
No brainer here with this restructure, high profile players like Ben are always going to be top priority to restructure. Credit Ben for stepping up and allowing his deal to be restructured and create some more breathing room for the team.

LarryNJ
08-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Ya it is a no brainer and happens every where. He really isn't giving anything. I hope his new bride understands. I'd hate to see him have marriage problems so soon. :) You know how crazy woman get over money. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2011, 04:36 PM
James has stepped up to the plate as well to restructure his deal. Even though these players don't lose any money in a restructure it's always good to see them willingly step up and allow their deals to be more cap friendly for the team.

PsychoWard
08-01-2011, 05:29 PM
way to go guys!! way to step up for the team!

LatrobePA
08-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Good stuff...

Scorp
08-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Great job. Good guys right there.

igor0190
08-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Aaron Smith will have to do something as well... I imagine that they're asking him to take an outright pay cut though.

Rampage
08-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Glad to see it. Now I want to see Woodley get a long-term contract.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Brett Keisel also restructured his deal to help aid in the cap relief. Just goes to show it doesn't matter if you get your millions over several months or all at once I guess. I wish I had that problem :lol:

Goodfrom55
08-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Aaron Smith will have to do something as well... I imagine that they're asking him to take an outright pay cut though.

As much as I love Smitty, from a business perspective, and with Ziggy waiting in the wings, I think you're right about them asking Smitty to restructure or take a paycut. NFN, it's the right thing to do; they could always just cut him outright, but I don't believe that is the Steelers culture to do so. (unless of course your underachieving - Starks, Randle El).

aaronsmith91
08-01-2011, 10:10 PM
As much as I love Smitty, from a business perspective, and with Ziggy waiting in the wings, I think you're right about them asking Smitty to restructure or take a paycut. NFN, it's the right thing to do; they could always just cut him outright, but I don't believe that is the Steelers culture to do so. (unless of course your underachieving - Starks, Randle El).

Ok... we need to cut the Aaron Smith hating on this forum. No doubt the injuries have caught up with smithy in the later part of his career, but after everything he has done for this franchise do you really think the Steelers will just cut him loose dammit.

Aaron Smith's Wikipedia page references him as, I quote, "the ideal defensive end in the Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense." You can't write an essay with Wikipedia, but it is a strong reference in a forum. During a time-frame from week 14 to 16 in the 2008 season, Dick Lebeau was quoted as saying a big reason for the success of the Steelers 08 D was the play of his defensive ends, primarily Aaron Smith. In a browns home game in either the 2009 or 2010 season, Jim Nantz on CBC said that Mike Tomlin said, "That Aaron Smith was like Dick Lebeau in how consistent both players were/are." I think we know how much his teammates (past and present) respect him. Many teammates, such as Deshea Townsend (great steeler), protested his pro bowl sub in 2008.

Now it is reasonable for him to restructure possibly take a pay-cut. But we as Steelers fans can't just turn our backs on him. He hasn't been in the line-up much recently, but when he is in there he is one of the best players on the field and makes a difference. The fact that they didn't put the guy on IR last year shows the Coaches and FO agree. Aaron Smith is one of the hardest working guys on the team, maybe league. He wants to be out there more than anything and he deserves the chance to be out there. He will retire soon and will retire as one of the best Steelers of the 2000's generation, possibly all-time.

igor0190
08-01-2011, 10:55 PM
What you say is true, but fact remains is that the Steelers are over the cap and need to get under. It's a what have you done for me lately league. Smith hasn't played in very many games over the past few years. I also hope they don't cut him , but I think it is a given that they are asking him to take a pay cut right now. They're probably working on numbers as we speak.

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Love is a beautiful thing vs the alternative. Way to go men. Sure Aaron was watchin this deal.

connecticutsteel
08-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Aaron Smith is a reasonable man . He's also not stupid he watched the front office cut our starting LFT tackle i'm quite certain he will restructure

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Ok... we need to cut the Aaron Smith hating on this forum. No doubt the injuries have caught up with smithy in the later part of his career, but after everything he has done for this franchise do you really think the Steelers will just cut him loose dammit.

Aaron Smith's Wikipedia page references him as, I quote, "the ideal defensive end in the Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense." You can't write an essay with Wikipedia, but it is a strong reference in a forum. During a time-frame from week 14 to 16 in the 2008 season, Dick Lebeau was quoted as saying a big reason for the success of the Steelers 08 D was the play of his defensive ends, primarily Aaron Smith. In a browns home game in either the 2009 or 2010 season, Jim Nantz on CBC said that Mike Tomlin said, "That Aaron Smith was like Dick Lebeau in how consistent both players were/are." I think we know how much his teammates (past and present) respect him. Many teammates, such as Deshea Townsend (great steeler), protested his pro bowl sub in 2008.

Now it is reasonable for him to restructure possibly take a pay-cut. But we as Steelers fans can't just turn our backs on him. He hasn't been in the line-up much recently, but when he is in there he is one of the best players on the field and makes a difference. The fact that they didn't put the guy on IR last year shows the Coaches and FO agree. Aaron Smith is one of the hardest working guys on the team, maybe league. He wants to be out there more than anything and he deserves the chance to be out there. He will retire soon and will retire as one of the best Steelers of the 2000's generation, possibly all-time.

Nobody hates on Aaron Smith here, atleast not that I know of. I've always been a big supporter of big ole 91, he's been a favorite of mine since he came into the league. The problem is, even if he would restructure you just have to worry how he'll hold up this year. If he can last the entire season then we are a better defense for it, no question about it. If he can't though we know now that we have a capable replacement in Hood and a rookie waiting in the wings in Heyward to help out.

Thisoneguy555
08-02-2011, 12:54 AM
I personally would rather Ben to take a pay cut, he isn't worth 100 million. Harrison had a pretty cap friendly deal in place, I think he'll only make around 1.5 mil this season, the bulk of his contract is in the final 3 years of it, which start next season. If neither of them actually take a pay cut, and just restructure their contracts, it will free up cap right now, but in the future, it will be devastating on the cap.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Aaron Smith is a warrior and really the ultimate Steeler but really the injuries have taken their tole on the man which he really can't be counted on at this point....I'm not saying he should be cut but I would understand if the team did cut him.....I'm not sentimental and never will be....Players and coaches come and go....Its the nature of the beast......

DanRooney
08-02-2011, 01:33 AM
I personally would rather Ben to take a pay cut, he isn't worth 100 million. Harrison had a pretty cap friendly deal in place, I think he'll only make around 1.5 mil this season, the bulk of his contract is in the final 3 years of it, which start next season. If neither of them actually take a pay cut, and just restructure their contracts, it will free up cap right now, but in the future, it will be devastating on the cap.

He makes 12.5 million a year in the prime of his career. Manning and Brady make 18 towards the end of theirs. That's a big disparity between the two.

Thisoneguy555
08-02-2011, 03:02 AM
He makes 12.5 million a year in the prime of his career. Manning and Brady make 18 towards the end of theirs. That's a big disparity between the two.

Whats that have to do with anything? So because Brady and Manning are at the end of their careers and they are franchise quarterbacks, that means sense Ben is a franchise quarterback, 12.5 million really isn't too much? You think he should get more? Is he really the most valuable player on this team? He should make cap room for offensive linemen, which we still lack any real skilled linemen other than Pouncey. You think he should take up valuable cap room and take away from the guys who protect him? You think he should take up cap room so that we can't pay our defense? LeBeau is a great coordinator, but when this team doesn't have Troy on the field, it has a losing record. The defense is old, they need to spend money on good defensive players in the future, but in 2012/2013 the cap is gonna be occupied by huge contracts from both Big Ben and Harrison because they "reconstructed" their contracts instead of taking a pay cut.

Big T
08-02-2011, 03:47 AM
Whats that have to do with anything? So because Brady and Manning are at the end of their careers and they are franchise quarterbacks, that means sense Ben is a franchise quarterback, 12.5 million really isn't too much? You think he should get more? Is he really the most valuable player on this team? He should make cap room for offensive linemen, which we still lack any real skilled linemen other than Pouncey. You think he should take up valuable cap room and take away from the guys who protect him? You think he should take up cap room so that we can't pay our defense? LeBeau is a great coordinator, but when this team doesn't have Troy on the field, it has a losing record. The defense is old, they need to spend money on good defensive players in the future, but in 2012/2013 the cap is gonna be occupied by huge contracts from both Big Ben and Harrison because they "reconstructed" their contracts instead of taking a pay cut.

Absolutely. 100%. Not a shred of a doubt in my mind.

Anyway let's put this in perspective... Kevin Kolb just just signed a contract that will give him 63 million over 5 years. That's 12.6 million a year. Kevin Kolb will be making about as much as Roethlisberger. Now THAT is ridiculous. Ben Roethlisberger is worth every penny. Plus you are acting like the Steelers arent the ones who GAVE Ben his contract. They knew what they were doing when they gave him his deal. Ben isnt being selfish here. He is getting paid what the organization agreed to pay him.

You want to talk about the lack of talent on the O-Line and the age of the defense, that's fine, but The front office is to blame there. You absolutely cannot blame one player, and you can't expect him to take a pay cut because the front office has made some bad decisions. It's a pretty ridiculous argument if I'm being completely honest.

Farrior Fan
08-02-2011, 06:19 AM
Just my opinion but Smith isn't really an asset to the team unless he can play. He's made his millions and can retire with a couple of rings, I would be shocked if he played much at all this year. I would love for him to prove me wrong, he has been a great Steeler for a long time. That said you can tell by my screenname that Farrior is one of my favorites (92 is my other) but Farrior is no longer a stud. If the team cut him tomorrow I would remember him in his glory years, but would also be excited that Sylvester is getting his shot.

Kevin Colbert is the best in the business and usually makes the right call, in recent years I have been shocked at how many vets they have kept and signed to big deals. I'm sure Coach and Colbert will give everyone a shot and we will be surprised when a vet or two gets cut to make room for a young guy with not much cap room takes his spot.

As for Ben? I have always been a fan of his but not the biggest by far. He is underpaid for what he brings to this team.

Thisoneguy555
08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Absolutely. 100%. Not a shred of a doubt in my mind.

Anyway let's put this in perspective... Kevin Kolb just just signed a contract that will give him 63 million over 5 years. That's 12.6 million a year. Kevin Kolb will be making about as much as Roethlisberger. Now THAT is ridiculous. Ben Roethlisberger is worth every penny. Plus you are acting like the Steelers arent the ones who GAVE Ben his contract. They knew what they were doing when they gave him his deal. Ben isnt being selfish here. He is getting paid what the organization agreed to pay him.

You want to talk about the lack of talent on the O-Line and the age of the defense, that's fine, but The front office is to blame there. You absolutely cannot blame one player, and you can't expect him to take a pay cut because the front office has made some bad decisions. It's a pretty ridiculous argument if I'm being completely honest.

I personally just don't think any one in general should make that much, and screw Kolb, the dude used his upper hand to get more money because the Cards really needed a quarterback, anyone who's seen him play knows he's worth a fraction of 12.6 million.

I just don't think Ben is worth that much, I agree that the Steelers wouldn't make the superbowl without him, but without an offensive line, Steelers wont get over .500, even with Ben. If he doesn't want to take a paycut, I don't care, it'll be his fault if the Steelers fail to make the playoffs in the future, I'm just saying it would be better if he took one, in no way am I going to protest the Steelers front office until they make him take a pay cut.

LatrobePA
08-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Oh boy!

DanRooney
08-02-2011, 10:08 PM
I personally just don't think any one in general should make that much, and screw Kolb, the dude used his upper hand to get more money because the Cards really needed a quarterback, anyone who's seen him play knows he's worth a fraction of 12.6 million.

I just don't think Ben is worth that much, I agree that the Steelers wouldn't make the superbowl without him, but without an offensive line, Steelers wont get over .500, even with Ben. If he doesn't want to take a paycut, I don't care, it'll be his fault if the Steelers fail to make the playoffs in the future, I'm just saying it would be better if he took one, in no way am I going to protest the Steelers front office until they make him take a pay cut.

It'd be good if Manning took one too. Then their bitch fans would stop blaming everything on their defense when in reality they have just as many guys go to the Pro Bowl on that side of the ball as the Steelers.

coldrolled
08-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Pitt west has gone wild..... 12mil for a backup QB... another Wow today...