PDA

View Full Version : SOS (Same ol Sweed)

connecticutsteel
07-31-2011, 07:31 PM
Limas Sweed is injured out with a ham string in training camp, will he be able to return and make the squad this year? There is a lot on the line for the former 2nd round draft pick in 2011. He's going to have to fight to even make it out of training camp and preseason. Then he'll have to fight even harder to get on the field and stay there.

Hamstring pulls and twisted ankles are always part of training camp, but for Sweed so far this injury it's not helping his cause.

Rampage
07-31-2011, 07:42 PM
He just tweaked it, not that big of a deal. A lot of players hurt their hamstrings early in camp. Guys lift a lot and run a lot in the off season, but nothing simulates the game itself, even without contact. Stopping and cutting can wreck your hamstrings, so I am not overly surprised.

JensK
07-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Pretty much all players have some kind of sore Hamstring during TC, so nothing unusual on that department. Also, this have been covered in several other topics on the forum so no need to make an individual topic for it imo.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-31-2011, 08:14 PM
Hamstring pulls are the most common training camp injuries besides twisted ankles. It happens every year. The combination of the heat, the players going full out in camp, and the fact that they haven't been in football mode for the last 6 months equals lots of hamstring pulls.

For Sweed though, this is something he just can't afford. If he doesn't have a good camp and preseason his time in Pittsburgh will likely come to an end.

connecticutsteel
07-31-2011, 08:30 PM
He can't afford any kind of setback

Big T
07-31-2011, 08:40 PM
He tweaked it yesterday, sat out a bit and then was back in action during the afternoon practice. He'll be fine.

uclkyle
07-31-2011, 09:26 PM
No big deal at all.....if he tears an ACL, then time to worry. In reality, he's fighting for the 5th WR spot. The 5th spot needs to be solid on special teams. Lets see how he devolops there. I think he makes the team.

StlersGuy
07-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Sweed is a joke and he better step it up if he indeed wants a chance to start. He has lots to prove and this is not the way to do it

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk Pro

igor0190
07-31-2011, 11:08 PM
Sweed is a joke and he better step it up if he indeed wants a chance to start. He has lots to prove and this is not the way to do it

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk Pro

This is his last chance here... make the team or you're out. I would love to see him make it and live up to his potential, but he just seems way too injury prone.

If he doesn't make it, Steeler fans will never hear his name again.

connecticutsteel
08-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Why would you want him to make the team if he is a joke ?

LatrobePA
08-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Sweed will make you guys eat crow (I hope)...

connecticutsteel
08-01-2011, 12:41 AM
I like Limas Sweed i have been rooting for him from jumpstreet .He can't seem to catch a break

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Sweed will make you guys eat crow (I hope)...

I would love to see him make every fan eat crow. The coaches wouldn't keep him around all this time if they didn't think he had potential. I know you hate to give up on 2nd round draft picks, especially one with so much talent coming out of college. Clearly early on his head was not in the game, and then the injuries started to happen. I would hope and assume that he's grown up since then, now it's time to see if he can stay healthy enough to show the NFL what he's got.

Rampage
08-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Every time I get down on Sweed, I think about that block he laid (on Corey Ivy?) in the Steelers-Ravens game a few years back. He has the size and speed to be an incredible weapon, he just needs to get his head in the game. I think this will be the year that he shows up.

Goodfrom55
08-01-2011, 06:21 PM
They guy has experienced some hard luck with the Steelers, but for some unknown reason, I think he will be a solid contributor this season and open some eyes of people in the organization and on the board. Why do I feel this way? Because at some point, his luck has to change for the better. He is way too talented to be this much of a bust.

Blazedby92
08-01-2011, 06:40 PM
The injuries are the least of my worries it's his head, he can't seem to figure out how he used to catch the ball five years ago.

As I said in the last thread how many players have you ever heard of being nonexistent for 5yrs then become a superstar.

When he went through that game where is missed that WIDE OPEN TD and then came back with that block I thought back to TO when he was with 49ners and dropped a for sure TD i believe it was a playoff game then you all know the rest of the story. Sweed has never got over it.

Not so much for Sweed time and time again after same old story.

So Sweed my last request is I like my "CROW" with a little B-B-Q, PLEASE!!!!

JensK
08-01-2011, 08:39 PM
As the blind Sweed believer I am, I'll make a case for Sweed:

First of all, the two first years he really did not get a whole lot of playing time, and did not really understand the game too well. This happens all the time for WRs, we just tend to forget because of those few WRs who actually come out and play well from day one. The case with those players are usually that they get playing time though. Sweed got very very few snaps in his first two years and was sat immediately after a drop. Both seasons, both Hines and Holmes dropped a shitton of passes as well, but their starting spot never lingered. Surely, Sweed was a rookie so that is what to expect, but my point is that he was never really given a chance with some actual play time.

Same thing occured on his third year, where he eventually ended up being IR'ed. He was playing lights out in camp and did pretty darn good in the pre-season games. Yet he never really got to see the field in the regular season, and when he dropped that call against Browns (the second play Sweed had seen that entire game, and the first where they threw anywhere near him) he was sat and never saw the field again.

his Fourth year was extremely unfortunate and not at all what he needed, but injuries happen. It did sounds like the coaches were very happy with his development up until the injury though.

As you might imagine, I believe that all Sweed needs is a chance. It'll be tough seeing our roster is pretty stacked and he have not made himself look very good over the last 4 years, but I'm still a believer.

tburg68
08-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Sweed doesn't have to be All Pro, he just has to beat out Battle. If he can't do that, he is a steaming pile of crap.

MikeAFC
08-01-2011, 11:03 PM
I like Limas Sweed i have been rooting for him from jumpstreet .He can't seem to catch a break

Or a ball! Lol!!!

Thisoneguy555
08-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Sweed is not that good of a receiver to begin with, and he's always injured, so signing him would just be a waste.

Big T
08-02-2011, 02:11 AM
Sweed is not that good of a receiver to begin with, and he's always injured, so signing him would just be a waste.

Signing him? :thinking:

Real Deal Steel
08-02-2011, 03:45 AM
The kid brings a skill set that none of the other WR possess. Big, physical and a red zone target. I'm hoping he makes it and pans out.

Thisoneguy555
08-02-2011, 04:04 AM
Signing him? :thinking:

Sorry, not releasing him, keeping him on the team. Whatever. He's getting paid for a spot on the roster he has not shown he's deserved since he was drafted.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2011, 08:32 PM
You want to root for Sweed to make it on this team, being a 2nd round draft pick you would have expected him to playing a big role in the offense by now. Sometimes things just don't go the way you expect though. He'll get his chances, maybe he doesn't crack the starting 3 or 4 but just make the team man, make the most of the chances you are given and perhaps things will start to finally come into place.

LatrobePA
08-02-2011, 09:01 PM
The team should be careful investing too much time in him but I agree we as fans should want the dude to make the cut...

DanRooney
08-02-2011, 11:46 PM
"Source on rotoworld says Sanders re-aggravated his foot and is in a walking boot. Out 3 weeks."

This might be Sweed's opportunity to shine if he can get on the field. :crossfingers:

Big T
08-03-2011, 01:07 AM
"Source on rotoworld says Sanders re-aggravated his foot and is in a walking boot. Out 3 weeks."

This might be Sweed's opportunity to shine if he can get on the field. :crossfingers:

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31860

--- Added 8/2/2011 at 11:07 PM ---

Limas has actually really matured since he's been here. I remember in past years thinking that he joked around too much. It seems like his struggles thus far have humbled him a bit. He's healthy, his head seems to be in the right place, and he's hungry. I'm excited to see if he can finally show what I've been saying he can (for the last 3 years lol). Here's the interview:

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Training-Camp---Limas-Sweed-82/e2d208f4-0abf-4097-bfdc-3ed2a41c3c3a#?id=e2d208f4-0abf-4097-bfdc-3ed2a41c3c3a